Grade 'Not What It Looks Like'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Do you mean Lindsay/Danny, not Stella/Danny?

I think many people here are with you when you say that - romantic tension is awesome, throwing it in the viewers' faces is not.

I started watching the show because of the hot men, stayed for the quality storylines. While many may disagree and state that the the first two seasons were mediocre, it's better than a good chunk of what passes for broadcast television these days. What I don't want to see is everything degenerate into who's sleeping with whom because that would more than ruin it for me and many others.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I agree with your second paragraph, Springmoon. Very well said. :) CSI:NY might not be number one on tv, but it's still a damn good show, even with it's flaws. :)

It's a good point you make about the romance slowing the show down, RealMinnesota, but at this point I think a lot of us (including myself) are jumping the gun about whether there will even be a romance. If you read the spoilers you know what I'm talking about. In any case, we won't know until we see the episodes. *shrug*

I finally sat down and watched the episode from beginning to end without a chatroom to distract me. :lol:

Loved the episode, it just moved right along. The technical details and forensics seemed very well-done and I couldn't detect any serious plot holes from a single viewing. It's good to see that, even though the writers insisted on adding that squirt of Easy-Cheese to the episode at the end, they didn't let it screw up the rest of the episode.

The character interactions were great throughout the episode. I loved seeing Mac and Adam work together. I love it when Adam gets nervous. :p I also love it when Mac tells somebody what's what. :lol: That young Assistant DA needed to learn how it works with teh Mac, like, realquick. :lol:

The Mac/Peyton interaction wasn't bad to me this episode. They managed to keep it professional, but I wonder if they'll always do so well with that? There was just the hint of tension there, and it doesn't bode well, I think.

I loved the interaction with Mac and Angell. I really do adore her, and I hope she sticks around. I like that you get the sense that she's a newer detective, but Mac doesn't doubt her ability to do her job. I also love that he grabbed her before she could get shot in that guy's apartment. *sniff* I think I smell a fic coming on. :lol:

Danny with the dog? Priceless! That puppy was so damn adorable. I want to keep him! *snorgles the dog*...er, oops. :eek: Anyway, I loved that scene, and the interaction between Danny and the dog as well as Danny and Hawkes/Stella. Loved it. :D If they kept that puppy around, it would be awesome. Like we find out Danny kept him, and he has to act all tough like he couldn't just leave him after they had a little bonding moment. Cutesy! :lol:

Adam was great in this episode! I wanted to ravage him, of course, especially since he tamed the lumberjack beard, but he was just so adorable the whole time. He puts a lot of effort into his work with the team, which I think is one of the reasons they keep him around. Reconstructing the room in the lab? Good job, pookie. :lol: And he's not afraid to admit that his conclusions aren't working out, which is a good thing. I liked him in the field, but I think it's more of an occasional thing than an every-week thing. :) The duct tape comment? Awesome. I'd love to see his idea of home repair. :lol: Danny would be Mr. Fix-It, but Adam would be Mr. Duct-Tape-Fixes-Everything. :lol:

Love, love, love Hammerback. :lol: Sid is great, he's one of my favorite characters. The description of sex? Priceless! :lol: That man slays me. But the part where he was talking about his daughter? Awww... I don't think it's weird that he has a kid. I'd like to learn a bit more about him. The fact that they're giving him a bit of info sounds good for them keeping him around. ;) And Stella's comments to him? So sweet. Hammerback is one of those people who doesn't get affected by much, but to see him really out of it like that? Very sweet.

I don't think the problem with the Lilian Stanwick thing last season (someone mentioned it...) was that Lindsay seemed affected by her age, it was the clunker of a line about it making her feel vulnerable. I don't have any problem with a person being affected by the death of a young person. I would expect them to be or I'd wonder why they didn't care--if they were heartless or if they shut themselves off completely.

I actually liked Lindsay in this episode as well. The hug scene I disliked on its own, but that really wasn't anything to do with the characters themselves, just the presentation of the scene. Lindsay was good. She was focused, she was bright, she showed that she genuinely cares about the people involved (which sometimes doesn't come across for the character), and she didn't back down from what she thought she had to do. If she hadn't gone in, she would have felt like she failed in some way. And I think we can all relate to that. As Danny told her, it wasn't her job, but at that moment in time it couldn't be anyone else's. She didn't do it to prove herself, but in a way I think she did, even if it was unintentionally. :)

I hope the writers continue to make her character more likeable, because she certainly wasn't my favorite last season. I've never hated her, or anything like that, but I never really warmed to her either. I want to like all of the characters on the show, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll continue to grow more fond of her as the season progresses.

Re: the Danny/Lindsay interaction. If the hug hadn't been slow-motioned and freeze-framed, I wouldn't have seen anything overtly shippy about that episode. The interaction between them was playful and friendly, but not romantically so, at least not from what I could see. I thought it was very interesting that, when Danny backed down about letting her go into the building, it was after her line about the girl losing her 'friend.' Reminding him of Aiden, perhaps? I'm sure he was having some internal conflict there about the risk of losing another friend himself. Because, you know, regardless of what happens in the subsequent episodes, they aren't dating. A hug doesn't make a ship canon. If that's the case, I can argue that there have been numerous canon ships based on hugs, kisses-on-the-cheek, arms-around-the-shoulder, etc. Let's see what the writers have in store for that before we assume that a hug means that they're going to suddenly run off into the sunset and make lots of babies for CSI:The Next Generation. :p Honestly, I think they need to get it to a point where we can all infer what we want without them painting themselves into a corner with regards to what they have to do with certain characters/interactions/etc.

Overall, a solid A+ from the girl who really only gives an A if she's very unhappy. :lol: Didn't like that friggin' hug scene, but it wasn't enough to screw it up for me in the end (thank God). :D

3. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Fay, it strikes me how similar our reviews are.

:lol: @ the Mr. Fix-it vs. the Mr. Duct-Tape-Fixes-All comment, so true! But then, I was with you through your entire review!

I really could get over D/L if they would just nail down exactly how they want to approach it. Is she after him, or his he after her? And Mac/Peyton makes me upset a little.

Yay for Angell! I think I already said most of this in my review, but anyway...

4. kasmith101

kasmith101 Rookie

Does anyone know how long it takes for an episode to be available on itunes?

5. Faylinn

*glances up at detectdevotion's review* Hmm, very similar. I think our brains might have melted together a bit. :lol: All that 'Bummfluff Buckley' stuff just sort of, I dunno, fused them or something. :lol:

But I think it's safe to say we all loved the same things about the episode, to judge from the similarities. ;)

6. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

So true, Fay, so true. The Bummfluff has gone to my braiiiinnnnnnn -- how scary is that?

7. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I loved the episode.

Intriguing storylines that moved fast and challenged the viewer (although the mummified corpse could have moved a little faster, thank you very much).

Danny putting the dog bark, glass shattering and lack of fissures in the broken glass together to come up with that machine...ingenious. Also loved the scene with the "loaner" dog.

Lindsay taking charge and putting her life on the line to save the ransomed Holly...pretty forceful. It was nice to see her assert herself finally and exert some backbone.

Mac turning alpha-male and basically schooling the young deputy DA on how to have a slam-dunk case...priceless.

I'm a D/L shipper, but I don't think the last scene was too in your face. As has been said before, Danny's taken numerous emotional hits with Aiden, Louie and Flack, not to mention the Minhas shooting probably still weighs on his mind somewhat (even if we don't see it, it's shaped his character). He probably could not have lost another person or taken another emotional hit at that point. I've been there; I could sympathize with the character (though the circs were very different).

8. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

The eppy in general was great. The cases were good. The actiing 9which is always good) was great, basically everything ruled... a few points though:

1) First off, I liked how Adam got into the mix a little bit. He was so funny when he was with Mac. I really enjoyed seeing him outside of how we usually see him.

2) Mac and Peyton: It was kind of like a "rivalry" in the beginning between the two of them. I loved that. They work extremely well together, which is a big plus. I really enjoyed that everytime he walked away, she smiled. That was adorable.

3) Lindsay: She stepped up majorly in this eppy. Starting with crawling in the tunnel. It wasn't a huge task, but still. When she made the decision to go undercover I think it was more of, "I need to do this", not "I want to do this." I think she felt obligated to save that girl. Which I think is a great attribute in a person. So, Go Lindsay.

4) Danny: I just loved the dog thing. It's good to know he looks like that puppy. :lol: They way he figured out the glass problem was amazing. That was a great call by him. I loved that part. I also loved how concerned he was for Lindsay, not just cause I'm a D/L shipper, but also because it shows he cares for his team.

5) Danny and Lindsay: I'm a huge shipper, so of course the ending was awesome. I knew that there'd be a hug, but I didn't think it would be that kind of a hug. That was an awesome hug. It did however take away from Lindsay's bravery in a certain light. It kind of drew everyone away from her stepping up, to them being more concentrated on Danny and Linds hugging and being so relieved that she was alive still. So it was definetly the greatest squeeing moment of my life, but I'm a huge Lindsay fan, and it was a little dissapointing that they drew that away from her... but not too dissapointing ;)

9. Faylinn

It's not that they had the scene, or that he hugged her, that makes it 'in your face' IMO, PrettyEyes--it's the slow motion, freeze-frame, end the episode with it thing. :rolleyes: A hug is a hug, but they apparently don't think viewers can infer affection based on that. Because yes, Danny's been through a lot, but is that what the writers were thinking? Probably not. From the way it was presented (and I'm talking about just the veeeery end of the show), it seems to be that they're intending you to see it as purely romantic. I don't really view it that way, but that's how it seems they want us to think. *shrug*

I'm not sure I'm making myself understood. :confused:

Edit: I agree with what you said about the 'hug' taking a bit away from Lindsay, Radical. Someone else said a similar thing (was it Top?), and it's very true. Lindsay has had so few moments to really shine on her own, and this should have been one of them. I think if they'd gone a bit farther and not ended on the hug (end on her helping the girl up and them all leaving the scene with her in the lead or something) it would have been better for her character. As it was, the last thing you remember is Danny and Lindsay--not the amazing thing that Lindsay had just done...

10. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

i gave it a B+. not a DL shipper AT ALL. i thought both the stories were interesting, loved the breakfast at tiffany's thing, thought the mummy was disgusting (but that's what you're supposed to think, right?). i just thought it moved kinda slow and i was disappointed the undercover thing took like 3 minutes. i liked how flack and stella worked together. awww... i love it when they do anything together. and he called her stelle! and i loved danny and the dog. so cute! (the dog i mean. i don't really like danny.)and i liked peyton a lot better in this episode. hammerback was funny. no funny lines for flack though. sigh. did anyone notice he has looked especially sad in this episode and the previous one? before it didn't really look like he was affected by dead people, but when they were looking at the suicide floater in people with money and whichever one of the golightly chicks was excecuted he just looked plain depressed.

11. Faylinn

That's a very good point about Flack. I think he's a pretty sensitive guy to begin with, but I'm thinking that, after what happened in "Charge of This Post," he became even more aware of his own mortality. He probably sees what could have been when he looks at these people. :( Is this a sign that they're going to give us some emotional continuity? Let's hope so.

I also love when Flack and Stella work together. :) Not a shipper, but I adore their interaction. ;)

12. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was probably one of my favorites!!!!! The end scene ROCKED!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!! I liked sensitive hammerback and I thought both the A and B cases were good and it was WAY better than People With Money. And not as much Peyton. Sorry but, she REALLY bothers me. But the fight between Peyton and Mac was really pathetic. I can't even really honestly call it a fight. GRRRRR! Oh well. I love the idea of Danny and Lindsay being together. I hope that we get an answer on whether or not they will be together.

13. Leftyguitar

Leftyguitar Police Officer

I really liked this episode
    I like Peyton a lot more this week and
    Danny's dog is adorable At first I thught he would own a bigger dog but I think it makes sense that he has smaller dog
    because he lives in an apartment

14. Faylinn

Ok, I have a question. This is something that I've been thinking about for a bit, but didn't know if I should ask it.

I've seen people state (in various places, not just on this site), that the relationship between Mac and Peyton is too much. I believe someone called it 'eyesex' in here at some point. But many of the people who think there's too much 'eyesex' between Mac and Peyton also want Danny and Lindsay to go canon...this doesn't really make sense to me. If significant looks between two people are too much, then why is having two CSI main characters in a relationship (presumably with a lot of emphasis placed on the ship in the episodes themselves) so desirable? :confused: I have to say it confuses me. What makes one better than the other, aside from preference?

And you know, I don't mean to insult anybody's ship when I share my opinions in this thread. The fact is, when the writers put something 'shippy' into a show, it's going to come under the same scrutiny as the rest of the show. If you can say what's good or bad about an episode, the 'ship'-related scenes are also fair game. And, quite frankly, when a crime show seems to be delving into romantic territory, people can't expect the entire message board to squee with happiness. Doesn't work that way.

15. kasmith101

kasmith101 Rookie

^Hmm, good question. I don't think I fall into that category of people, but here's what I don't like about Mac/Peyton:

1. Her sudden appearance after they've been "dating" for a year, yet we've never heard a word/hint of it.

2. The opening bedroom scene in "People with Money," ewww. No thanks. Un-called for.

That's basically it. I liked her more in the second episode and didn't really see too much "eye-sex."