Grade 'Not What It Looks Like'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

The CSI franchise do not do romances well. I would like (or maybe, wouldn't mind) the DL ship if it had started with a friendship and possibly progressed into more, which is why I find the Stella/Mac ship rather appealing, or even the Aiden/Danny ship.

CSI NY is a crime drama. CSI went years without shoving any two characters together. The GSR was done tastefully, and even those who didn't like the ship generally understood it was coming. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I figure six years of build up and then a two minute scene that shows a level of intimacy and caring is alright.

Danny and Lindsay were never friends first, they were always borderline. With the Payton/Mac, we generally understand there was something going on before hand, but with the DL they just met and then hovered somewhere. And the characters suffered because of it. Lindsay wasn't independant, she just wanted Danny, who because more whiney and less constant. As for consistancy, it's something Lindsay still is sorely lacking. She goes from being level-headed to something reminiscent of a screeching banshee.

The episode was definitely not my favourite, and I still feel that the show is steadily declining. Colour me disappointed. C

PS: what happened to the Why Lindsay Must Go thread? I'd prefer not to rant on here, because I know it must offend some people, but if I'm going to continue to watch the show, I need somewhere to do it. For my own sanity.

2. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I've liked this episode a lot (voted A-). I liked both cases and how they were solved (by eve putting Adam out in the field).

Because I was way behind on watching new episodes I hadn't been reading here in ages. I've been a huge fan of D/L since Zoo York so the hug at the end was a total bonus for me.

Maybe (taking in account the preview for next week's episode), the fact that Lindsay is -perhaps- starting a more serious relationship with one of her co-workers is something that will help develop her character.

And things happening in that relationship will perhaps lead up to more insight in her past. So the sailing ship ;) and Lindsay's past could easily be a part of the same story line.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Which is the cheap way out, in my opinion. Don't they think they can give Lindsay substance and explain her past without the romantic aspect of it? They told us about Stella growing up in an orphanage when a case hit close to home. They talk about Danny's past with regards to cases that drag it to the surface. Mac and Stella have had conversations about Mac's history, particularly about his marriage and how he lost his wife--two long-time friends and coworkers talking to each other. So why does Lindsay need to be explored through a romantic link with Danny? Maybe if the romantic part was in addition to individual development, perhaps, but that's not what we're seeing right now. All we're getting at this point is 'wow, look what a brave thing Lindsay just did, I wonder if it's significant for...oh never mind, it's all about the hug.'

As a D/L shipper, I'm sure that hug was great, and makes for excellent discussion. What shipper doesn't watch the show and love the little moments that they can talk about with relation to their ship? I do it, we all do it. But what I think is more vital for the show itself is not that a fan-favorite ship goes canon, but that the characters are given the justice they deserve with regards to development. Flack is a character that needs some development and attention, but he shouldn't have to be part of Flack/Character to get that. He deserves better than that. And so does Lindsay.

4. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I don't think it was meant as a cheap way out as you put it. I was meaning to say that perhaps this was -as you yourself put it before- already the way it was written by TBTB. They did/do not make this ship canon because they suddenly saw something there but because it was already written this way when they decided to ad the Lindsay character to the show.

I must admit that I was really suprised that this -much talked about- hug is already in the 2nd episode of this season. And as much as I do like them together I would have been equally happy if they would have just left/leave it to our imagination what was/is happening between the two of them.

But I guess we all just have to wait and see. I for one do hope we get more of these episodes where everybody gets their screentime on a case and perhaps a little inside in what makes them tick.

5. Faylinn

I also hope that we continue to get cases that push the characters emotionally and show us part of who they are. That's the kind of development that I want to see. I still want to know what about this case struck Lindsay so strongly. When Beth told them that Dana would die, there was something in Lindsay's face that said it wasn't just the case at hand--there was more to it. Part of her past, perhaps? We'll find out, I'm sure.

I don't know that I like the idea of them introducing Lindsay with the idea that, from the beginning, so much of who she is would depend on Danny. I like the character well enough, and I think that's unfair to her. The writers have the chance to do something really different and edgy with any of these characters, and Lindsay is no exception. Of course, this is all pure speculation at this point, and none of us know the writers' motivations for the characters and why they write what they do. However, I hate the possibility that, of all the ways they could introduce her, that they would do it with the thought of 'oh, let's bring in a new girl from the country and then she and Danny can have a relationship so we can see what she's like.' :(

In any case, my guess would be that, beyond the next few episodes that may contain a focus on this relationship, the show will revert to leaving "to our imagination what was/is happening between the two of them," as you said. ;)

After all, as Hill Harper pointed out in his interview recently, "teasing romance is sometimes more interesting than the romance itself." Very true. ;)

6. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

^
    ^
    Mr. Harper is a very wise man ;)

When Lindsey first came onto the show, she was confident and independent and somewhat fearless. But that all changed when TPTB decided to make her a love interest instead of her own character. I would've loved for the writers to have expanded Lindsey's character, and let us know what she's all about before they decided to add "love interest" to her name. By having her character's development relying so heavily on Danny, I think it takes a little something away from the character herself.

I mentioned this in the review for Not What It Looks Like, that I think the ending for the episode - the calling for Danny, the freeze frame last scene - took away from Lindsey's heroism. It didn't focus on the selfless act she did, but more on "revealing" the D/Lness to everyone.

I don't have a problem with the hug, or the D/L ship in general, I just wish the ending focused more on Lindsey than on Lindsey + Danny.

7. chelliyah

chelliyah Pathologist

hey everyone.. for those of u who havent seen the promo for the next epi.. go to utube.. and type in 3.03 promo
    awww its soo cute!!!!!!

8. allstar12

Oh, finally. Thank you! I've been dying to see this, cbs.com still doesn't have it up.

For a second there, I thought the victim in the preview was Ashlee Simpson :lol:

9. FlackAttack

FlackAttack Prime Suspect

I just remembered something I meant to add when I first put my 2 cents in. I just wanted to comment that it was refreshing to see Mac work the B case for a change, off the top of my head I can't remember the last time I saw that. Of course his case was the more high profile one and he worked it alone, except for Peyton and Adam's help, but still. It was interesting to see the more even distribution of responsibilities among the rest of the team working the Hollys case, without Mac taking control over everything.

10. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

that a god point FlackAttack I didn't think of that. It is kind of interesting to think about that. Nice!

11. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I guess when Lindsay called out for Danny I took it as her answering him calling for her ... not a wimpy thing. I, as a DL fan, enjoyed the hug, yes, but my favorite thing? Lindsay taking charge and volunteering to go in, without, IMO, any sassiness. She just did it because it needed to be done. When Danny told her she didn't have to, she shut him down firmly, but without any snottiness. Just the "had to be done, no other way" attitude. THAT's what I liked. I also thought she kept her cool in the apartment and don't think anything took away from it. Just MO.

12. allstar12

^
    ^
    Most defintely, audrina. That's the kind of Lindsey we need to have back, determined, confident and headstrong. I liked how she made her decision and stuck by it, she could've easily let someone else do it, or agree with Danny when he tried to reason with her and get her to not go in.

And someone mentioned - I think it was Fay - that maybe the reason why Lindsey went in was because of something that happened in her past and so she thought she was the perfect choice to go in. And if that's the case, I'd love to see that revisited.

13. Faylinn

I didn't take Lindsay calling for Danny as being 'wimpy.' :confused: Who said that? *scratches head* I thought it was just him calling out for her, to see if she was alright and where she was, because they couldn't see, and she called back to let him know where she was...*shrug*

That's a good point about Mac being on the B-case (but don't forget Angell working that one too ;)). It's nice to see that the other CSIs can do the big case without him there. :) Of course, even as a B-case it had Super!Mac pulling Angell out of the way of that gun (which, to me, showed that she's still a new detective, and I like that ;)). :lol: He also told that young ADA what's what and how Mac does things. :p Mac is always pretty kick-ass, isn't he? :lol:

14. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Mac really is always kickass. But in a way that you can believe. In Miami, sometimes Horatio is just too heroic, and I don't like it. But Mac isn't afraid to be the bad guy in order to be the good guy -- even when he was in the process of firing Aiden ( and MAN DID THAT MAKE ME MAD ), I still had to agree that he made sense, and that rather than drag his emotions into it, he did what he did for the good of the lab and the team.

Besides, he is like the calm in the storm when it comes to the other characters. Through Danny's dramas, Stella's ordeal with Frankie, and Flack getting exploded, Mac is a calm and under control, rarely losing his temper.

Of course, it would be nice to see him really lose it, but I doubt he could. Perhaps Peyton will stir up the pot, though?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I tried to find this with no luck. Do you think it's been pulled already? If someone has a link could you pm it to me? We're not supposed to post the link here. Thanks!