Grade 'Like Water for Murder'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 16, 2008.

?

How would you grade Like Water for Murder?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. A

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. A-

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. B+

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Another great episode! The writers apparently came back refreshed, rejuvenated and Ready to Go, post-strike! I gave it an A-. :thumbsup:

I'm loving the Taxi Cab killer arc, I think it has serious potential. I knew it was a multi-parter, so I figured they wouldn't catch the killer at the end, but I thought for sure the guy who showed up at the apt. PJ was showing was the killer - especially after he told her "Don't worry, I'll be quick" - and that we as viewers would then be privy to who the killer was, but it would just remain for the CSI team to catch up with him in Part II. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was very wrong! :) Loved how they did it at the end, interspersing the young man's demise in the back of the Cab, with Mac's realization that the killer was a Cabbie. Brilliant!

So nice to see Hawkes getting some serious screen time - although, as someone else mentioned, he spent much of his time with his arm sunk to the elbow, in the shark's innards... :cardie: Did anyone else get a bit of a squick feeling, when they were piecing together the first vic's neck skin that they retrieved from the shark, so they could read the writing? Eeew... :lol:

Good to see Stella kicking some serious butt, and some great one-liners from Flack. Loved that she turned down the candy, he ate it, but then she immediately wanted to know how good it was...

I really enjoyed Quinn, and I agree with several other posters who liked that the writers didn't travel down the hackneyed old road of making her out to be the big Baddie. She had good chemistry with everyone, particularly Gary/Mac. I liked how, even after all this time, sparks still flew, and they were still flirting. Cute how he "called" her on it, and they didn't have him sqirming uncomforatably when the Kiss was brought up. They gave him an imperfection/indiscretion, but still managed to make him faithful to Claire, which made sense. I think that Mac could easily entertain thoughts of now pairing up with Quinn, but of course she does represent his weakness, his mistake... and we all know how Mac does not like being reminded of his own weaknesses! :lol:

Loved seeing Reed come back into the picture, the chemistry between he and Mac is excellent. And now that Reed will be coming out with insider scoopage on the Taxi Cab Killer, I sense danger ahead for our intrepid cub reporter... :(

Finally, D/L... I can understand Lindsay's reaction when Danny suggested renting "Jaws". Their banter reminded her of how much fun she had with him, but his suggestion also reminded her of her decision to try and get over him, and obviously she's nowhere near that point, yet. I had to roll my eyes later when Mac called her on leaving the evidence, and she tried foisting the responsibility off on Danny... then quickly recanted, and admit that it was wholly her mistake and responsibility. That was a realistic scenario, IMO, and I'm glad they had her own up to it.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this one continue!

2. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

I gave it a B+
    The case was fine,
    I didnt think it was all that.
    maby its becouse i had the most horrible pain in my mouth afte pulling a teeth out this morning:(
    So ill whats the episode again in some days..

My tought about the D/L situation is this:

I dont think that danny and lindsay had a real relationship..
    They just had a fling..
    So think the same about the D/L scene as Macpeyfan did.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Deleted

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  4. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

What was the movie that Danny and Lindsay were quoting from, anyway?

And when did Stella learn martial arts?

And that writing, the L1719 or whatever, I assume we'll learn the meaning later on?

5. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Christ, what a dragass episode. I realize that they couldn't wrap everything up since this was a starter episode for the Killer Cabbie arc, but the hour felt like one big muddle. It didn't help the the opening scene was heinously acted. The designated screamer looked like she was clenching her ass cheeks, lest her bum tuba took it upon itself to join the opera. The episode was boring and unfocused, and I found myself waiting for it to be over so that I could do something else. It was that bad.

There were highlights, however. In sharp contrast to Danny's irresponsible philandering last week, we have that rarity of rarities on a TV show, a faithful husband. He's even rarer for the fact that he's a faithful cop husband. Those are as rare as albino peacocks, I assure you. Every cop on TV, even breathing sacks of ugly like Andy Sipowicz, who should be as sexy as a Jesuit monk in a nudist colony, is getting more bun than a hamburger factory. But Mac chose the high road, apparently. Granted, he did so after a slip, but unlike Danny, who chose to ride his poor choice to the end of the line, Mac immediately regretted his actions and drew a definite line. He chose not to hurt and dishonor his wife by cheating.

It should be noted that there is a vast difference between the preservation and respect for a marriage that has been well established in canon and a tenuous, unequal relationship that has never been confirmed as anything but a pool table romp and exists largely in the febrile minds of a small but vociferous segment of fandom, but the parallel remains. Whether it was an intentional parallel is uncertain; given the previous track record of the writing staff, that may be giving them too much credit. On the other hand, it's as crudely drawn and unsubtle as a toddler Monet done early poopy diaper. It could be either, and since the writers didn't get anything else right this season, I'll throw them a bone. Just call me Santa.

I did feel for Quinn Shelby, though, and I was nettled that Mac just cavalierly told her to forget their kiss. Even though Mac was right as a married man to consider the kiss nothing but a deep regret, it must be awful to be on the other end and know it meant so little. Scratch that. I know it is. Quinn should quietly cherish the memory, Mac be damned, and have the tact to never broach the subject again. If she suddenly decides to deny the lab accreditation because of lingering butthurt over an affair that never was, Guera's gonna have to choke a bitch. Believe it or not, some women manage to conduct themselves with dignity and not behave like petty wenches.

I'm less pleased with the direction Reed has taken. When did he become a whiny entitlement kid, and what is this relationship of which Mac speaks? As far as canon knows, they've met three times. Have there been more meetings?

See, this is CSI:NY's biggest problem: Excessive narration without adequate demonstration.

I'm tired of building the ramps required to make the leaps the show's canon and continuity require in order to make a modicum of sense. The defenders of Helm's Deep had an easier task than the CSI:NY viewer with the most liberal of standards. Some of the leaps would kill Evel Knievel, even if he had a rocket strapped to his ass. Show, goddammit, show. That's why you're on TV. To paint pretty, exciting pictures. Right now, Dali thinks you're palsied monkeys on PCP.

Sorry. Back to Reed. I was irritated by his whining. It's a blog, for heaven's sake. Is he being paid for his blog based on hits? If he were, I could understand his pique and sniveling insistence that the story could make his career, but if he's not being paid, he should STFU. In that case, his claim to a career based on a blog is as valid as my claim to a professional writing career based on my LJ and the reams of fanfiction lurking there and on my hard drive. You know, the stellar career that's ranged from novice, badly-written elf smexing to Flack angst and a hummer in a department squad car. If being a blogger is a legitimate career, then I'd like my royalties now, yo.

Oh, and Reed? The shower is your friend. Or have you become Grasshopper to Danny's Master and chosen the way of grunge?

Flackwanna Tapthatticus should also be called famishus famishus a la the old Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote cartoons. Man never misses a chance to chow.

Speaking of chow, Sid FTW! "There he is, noshing the best prime rib he's had in months, and he gets food poisoning and dies." Oh, Sid. Only you would think of it that way.

Lame, insipid episode with faint glimmers of the passable. Like the shiny Christmas tinsel turd Fido leaves you after he eats the Christmas ornaments.

D-

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Jaws.

I guess we will. It's L2729, and my guess is that it is a reference to Leviticus 27:29...

7. csimiamigirl

csimiamigirl Hit and Run

i don't know if anybody here has mention this but i love the part with Mac Driving backwards i thought it was funny cause i loved Stella's reaction to the whole thing :lol::guffaw:

8. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

what i loved most about this ep: the mention of New Jersey and that Quinn Shelby was from a lab in Jersey. always love a home state mention :) i <3 NJ.

i'd just like to say that East Coast beaches do not look like what they showed at all. living down at the Jersey shore and seeing NY beaches for myself they're not as clean and the water is much darker.

i liked this ep. so far all the eps this half of the season have been really good. i wasn't expecting this to be a two parter, i was a little mad that it didn't end but excited to see how this will be panning out.

even though i'm not a big Hawkes fan it was nice to see him have some screen time, especially more than Danny or Lindsay b/c right now i'm pissed at the two of them lol. Hawkes is a good character and has great interaction with everyone and he's so meticulous with what he does, it's a shame the writers don't use him a bit more.

Flack asking Stella if Det. Shelby was single.... very sly Flack. i think he did it b/c Stella seemed a little put off by her somewhat and he just wanted to see how Stella would react to such a question (just holding hope that Flack and Angell hook up haha)

Danny and Lindsay: ok as a huge fan of these two if this is the way they're gonna be around each other from now on- awkward, confused- than just end it (for a while at least). when Danny told Lindsay they should rent "Jaws" sometime to watch it together he seemed to be asking more out of guilt than by really wanting to try and fix things. IMO Danny isn't showing his feelings that he cares for Lindsay like she does for him. he's a guy and he did something stupid but he's trying to be tough and brave about the whole thing. he shouldn't do that(to some degree), he's like killing her since her emotions and feelings about him are so strong. i felt bad for Lindsay, she doesn't want to be led on again by Danny and that's why i think she walked out. stupid thing to do leaving the evidence like that but good for her i say.

i always enjoy scenes with Mac and Lindsay.i miss Lindsay showing Mac experiments and being all excited about it. i think he knew all along D/L were dating or whatever they were doing. Mac sees she's hurt by what's going on b/t them. he's right though D/L's feelings for each other should not get in the way of their job.

can't wait to see what comes next with this serial taxi cab killer. all i know is i will think twice about getting into a taxi cab. if i see scratch marks anywhere inside the cab i am busting the hell outta there!!!

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Last night I kept getting interrupted during the episode :scream: so I just rewatched it. I haven't read any reviews yet.

Overall I gave this an A. It really held my interest and made me want to know what'll happen with the Taxi driver serial killer. Of course, some of the non-case related stuff made me go :wtf:.

--The "Abercrombie twins" were running down the beach. The guy was running backward, but the chick was running forward. Even if she was looking at the guy, wouldn't she notice out of the corner of her eye or something the big ass shark and half chowed body before the dude tripped over them?

--Flack gets to be a smarty pants for once! Good catch, Flack!

--Why would Quinn show up on the beach to inform Mac she will be observing them? Wouldn't she have met him in the lab for that?

--So, Quinn, you're gonna stay out of the way. Uh oh, Mac doesn't believe you. That doesn't bode well.

--Since the shark died from food poisioning and the food was murdered, when he's caught will the serial killer be charged with animal cruelty on top of the murders? Sid is awesome.

--Uh, Quinn? Is hovering over Stella's shoulder staying out of the way?

--Uh, Quinn? Stella asking you if you want to look at the sample doesn't mean she needs your help. Anyway, is it OK for the inspector to get involved with the case?

--Why are Danny and Lindsay acting normal? Oh, Lindsay isn't. This is a prime example of why I say that my dislike of Lindsay is a combination of acting and writing. AB was fine in that scene, but having her joke with Danny like she never went off on The Monologue of Doom and then suddenly get sad and say, "this is hard" and walk away like a 14 year old who has to share a classroom with her first love after they've broken up just makes her look stupid. And to have Danny joke with her and then say, "we should rent that movie" after Lindsay went off on The Monologue of Doom makes him look stupid. It appears they are trying to show that Danny and Lindsay did do things outside of work, but I stand behind my statement last week that we don't know if they were on the same page with their relationship or that they were "exclusive."

--Change your damn ring tone, Mac.

--Stella continuity! I think switching to a condo is a smart move, Stella.

--Reed! I really like the father/son dynamic with Mac and Reed. I also like how Mac told Reed he's a lot like Claire.

--Uh, Quinn? Unlike Stella, Mac didn't ask for you to do anything other than observe.

--"Very good to know." "Is she pretty?" "Hey, Project Runway." I love Flack. "I was taught never to take candy from strangers." I love Stella. Of course Flack had to sample the chocolate. :lol:

--"When things get messy, mistakes are made." That's a direct quote from Mac? Interesting.

--Good Lord, Lindsay. Don't blame Danny for your -- Whoa! Lindsay just took responsibility for her actions and admitted it was unfair to blame Danny for her mistake. OK, did aliens visit after last week's episode, kidnap Lindsay and replace her with a humanoid? Don't get me wrong, I've been screaming for Lindsay to stop being selfish and to take responsibility for herself for a long time; but this just seems out of the blue after The Monologue of Doom. It would be nice to be clued in as to why Lindsay seems to have done a 180. Again, AB did fine here, but the writing isn't making me all of a sudden feel for Lindsay.

--"I should've never gotten involved with someone I work with. It was stupid. Really stupid." I couldn't agree more, Lindsay. Now, however, I don't see how TPTB can keep DL together as a couple. If Danny and Lindsay decide to be anything other than friends in a future episode it'll be stupid. I'm not putting it past them to do it, but I'm a bit more optimistic the "fauxmance" crap is coming to an end. Thank God.

--Mac - everything I do is for the integrity of the lab - Taylor is more concerned about Lindsay than he is about her possibly comprimising the case? I realize that last season we saw Mac playing politics and doing what he needed to do to save his own ass. I also realize as the seasons have gone on they've tried to make the character a kinder, gentler Mac - at least a tiny bit - but it really bugs me that he was so caring about Lindsay. Yes, some of that has to do with the fact that I can't stand Lindsay. But the main reason is because he's pretty much had to come down on every member of the team at one point or another and he's never come off as understanding to any of them. I get that this was probably done because they want to show a connection to Quinn implying there was something between her and Mac when they worked together and Mac understanding from experience that people can't always compartmentalize. But seriously, this is Mac Taylor. He ripped Hawkes a new one because he met a vic on the subway and gave her his number but didn't tell Mac, so why go easy on Lindsay who has repeatedly been unprofessional in the relatively short time she's been there?

--"I feel like I'm in detention." I love Danny and Hawkes together. However, considering what happened last week, Danny is acting a little too "Danny" in this episode. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

--I get that they are trying to show that Mac and Reed have a father/son dynamic, but he was harder on Reed than he was on Lindsay. Although I have to say that I love that Reed accepted what Mac had to say like a mature adult. I'm happy CSI: NY is not continuing the franchise tradition of making main character spawn/step-spawn annoying brats. Again, why does Lindsay get treated differently from everyone else? Oh yeah. That's right. Lindsay suffered a horrible trauma when she was a teenager so she gets an automatic pass for everything she says and does for the rest of her life. :rolleyes:

--Of course Quinn had a similar case in NJ. I realize she would need to come forward with this information; but seriously, this woman is starting to out "Mac" Mac.

--Of course they'd be able to find the section of skin that has the "signature" on it. If the shark had pieces of the vic in him long enough to die of food poisioning shouldn't he have had time to digest and expel pieces of skin?

--Flack chase scene! Whoo Hoo! BadAss!Stella got to kick a suspect's ass!

--Charles is a pig. I'm glad you kicked his ass, Stella.

--I liked the small 9/11 reference from Hawkes to tie into Claire.

--Uh, Quinn? That's it? Really? I mean I liked the idea of the lab being up for reaccreditation, but that was really anti-climatic. Oh, now you're gonna talk about your feelings for Mac and what happened between you two. She flirted with Mac, he was attracted to her, they kissed and Mac immediately told her it was a mistake and that he loved Claire. Thank God that was it. It wouldn't have been a good idea to have had Mac cheat on Claire.

--It's been "years ago" since they worked together and kissed, but Quinn is still pining for Mac. I guess once you go Mac you can never go back. It's nice to see CSI: NY has continued their tradition of undercutting strong, intelligent female characters with lame ass romantic crap. :rolleyes: :scream:

--I know you turned on the siren and everything Mac, but geezus, cause a major accident why don't you.

--I like the curve ball of the dude who looked at the house not being the killer and being the one who got in the taxi instead of the intended victim.

--Using two common words Lindsay and Danny found out the sign was from a taxi bill of rights? Really? Seriously? And I'm still bugged that they're acting normal. Although I will repeat that I thought AB was fine this episode.

--Any New Yorker could be the next victim. Cue dramatic music. :eek:

10. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I enjoyed it all but the ending so hoping they pick up on it at a later date. As far as D/L I think Danny should fess up to Lindsay about his latest fling so there's no mixed signals sent.

11. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

This is going to sound like a really screwed up reason for a low grade but the minute the Jaws jokes started, my mind wandered off to the world of Stargate Atlantis, and a pretty heinous episode where they almost constantly referred to The Alien Quadrilogy. (Funnily enough, SGA also did a whole Jaws joke in their S4 as well, which aired earlier this year.)

It made me cringe when SGA did it...and considering I generally think more of CSI:NY as a show...

Edit: I was not responsible for the 'D'...I swear...

12. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

As last week I've set myself a deal not to read any reviews till i've seen the ep then I don't take into the episode what others have said... but I really enjoyed it.

Flack is learning and its cute that he is picking up things from the CSI's seeing as he spends so much time with them. The conversation bout Quinn being single was apt for him i'm guessing he wants some female interest but it was perfect he finished it off taking a chocolate you can't stop Flack and his food.

Quinn I strangely liked, after reading the 1st lot of stuff i was like hmm not really keen on her from spoilers but i liked that she was quite upfront and her interaction with Mac was nice.

Stells reference to house finding was nice to hear I kept having this feeling they were going to ignore the fact her flat burnt down.

Hawkes got screen time, its lovely to see him back and in Autoposy even though it was a shark was nice to see, you could kind of see it still hasn't left him.

Danny seemed normal and I kind of liked it because its the side i love but after last week was confused.

DL i was just confused but resigned to the fact its going to be a "friends" thing the way Lindsay said to Mac she shouldnt get involved with co workers that they are simply going to just try rebuild there friendship... which is nice.
    The banter is the one reason I do really like them together even though it was a tad out of place after last week, it was nice to see and made me smile.
    Lindsay walking out was odd I didn't think it was wrong tad wierd but its one of those awkward silence moments when sometimes its the easiest thing to do.

When Mac talked to her it was nice and she admited it was wrong and possibly stupid thing to do (evidence and danny) and it was almost like Mac didn't know till Quinn said something or he knew he just as he said didn't get involved with peoples personal lives.

The taxi cab killer.... very interesting loving to see where it leads to whether it will be the finale or similar to Clay Dobson and end before the finale giving us something new.

13. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

it was pretty disgusting episode :) at least the shark-thopsy

Im not sure I like the cliffhanger but the case was interesting. cant wait for more on it

no Angell is always a bonus but I missed Adam :(

poor Hawkes got the most disgusting task but at least we saw something of him

another peek into Macs past

kinda missed the continuity of the soap operish story line but maybe next time. but the DL scene was cute although confusing

Lindsay was so good in her scene with Mac I love her enthusiasm about solving a problem. and Mac surprised me pleasantly in carrying for her well-being

it was Flacks turn to chase for a suspect and I loved ninja Stella. and when I said to myself that he actually had a decent tie on in the next scene he wore an extra fugly one :lol:

where can I get an invitation to a chocolate party like that?

14. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Man that was a DAMN good episode A+. I loved it, didn't even mind Quinn, in fact I thought she was great in the ep.

Nice to see Hawkes more to the fore for a change. Loved the interaction with Mac and Lindsay, it worked well and didn't intrude in the storyline.

Flack as always loved him..laughed out loud when he stole the chocolate...I knew he wouldn't be able to resist.

Really nice to see Reed again.

Story wise very nice build of tension throughout the episode. Very well done guys. Now this is what I want a great script, good tension, decent storyline.

Pity its taken them two thirds of the season to get there.

Ticked all my boxes.

Plus loved Rambo Stella! Got to be my favorite moment in the episode when she caught the chocolate guy.

Overall 10 out of 10 guys. This is what I want for every ep not just the ones heading for the end of the season.

15. privatename

privatename Rookie

I enjoyed the case and was glad that they stayed away from too much soap opera-y stuff. I was so glad at the way the Mac cheating spoiler played out. I was really not looking forward to hearing about how he cheated on his wife. I liked Quinn. I feel bad she is still pining away for Mac, but I can see how Mac would be hard to forget :) I liked that there were some good Hawkes scenes although -- his job for the most part tonight was pretty yukky. I liked that Mac and Stella worked together as well. And I, like many others, was fooled and thought that the man we saw entering the apartment the realtor was showing was going to be the killer. All I kept thinking as Mac and Stella were racing to get there was -- call it in and let someone who is closer get there in case something really is going to happen. I really thought that woman was a goner and I was going to be so pissed about it because, yet again, the CSI's didn't call in and ask for a unit that might be closer to go to the scene.

Perfect Anomaly wrote;
    I wondered that, too. But, then if she is observing them to make sure they follow protocol, I think that would includ collection of evidence at a scene. Then it would make sense for her to show up there.

Carolina wrote:
    I liked that Mac cared about her, but thought it was out-of-character to not give her more of a hard time about what she did. Leaving evidence out like that can be really problematic for chain of evidence. It was a big ooops and since, as has been pointed out before, Mac has reemed into others for less, it seemed odd to me.

And about the whole climbing in the trunk -- it was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. She should have just told Mac about her discovery. I thought he kind of gave off that vibe as well - -just tell me. Again in the way she acted and her tone of voice/facial actions, she came across as showing off to me and it really grated on my nerves. To each their own, eh :)