Grade 'Like Water for Murder'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 16, 2008.

?

How would you grade Like Water for Murder?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. A

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. A-

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. B+

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

The lab is under scrutiny in tonight's episode--what did you think of it? :cool:

2. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

Dug, dug, dug the mystery, the soap opera not so much. Let's say B+ because the case was so good.

Questions:
    -So I guess the 3 victims on the same street WAS just a coincidence?
    -L1719: I guess we'll find out the meaning next ep??

Quite enjoyable.

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I want to know why there were no spoilers about this being a two parter.
    ETA: Nevermind, I figured it out.

I'm glad they didn't have Mac cheat full-on too...he's so not that kind of person. Also interested with the Reed stuff...I hope he comes to his senses before it's over.

I'm curious where this arc is going.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  4. Lampdor

Lampdor Prime Suspect

Can we please keep Lindsay in the trunk forever?

Gotta agree with Hawks, that Quin woman wasn't so bad she is kinda cool and not bitchy like I thought she would be. Wonder what the show would be like if she was the head of the lab. And she is really pretty.

Glad to see Reed back, but I don't think Mac is allowed to bring him to the scene.

I hate sharks and I got the Jaws theme running through my head during the entire episode.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I thought it was a really good episode overall, and I'm curious to see how this taxi cab killer thing pans out--seeing the end was really effective.

I'm mixed about Quinn. Part of me really liked her--she seemed smart and capable--but on the other hand, the fact that she's been pining over Mac for years is kind of...meh.

I'm glad they changed their minds about implying that Mac cheated on Claire--well, we know he and Quinn kissed, but I got the feeling that she initiated it, and that he always considered it a mistake.

I wouldn't mind seeing Quinn back again, but I don't think that's likely given her job. It was interesting to see a different person with the same job interact with the team--almost like having a new CSI without actually having a new character.

I also loved Sid trying to impress her. :p

Reed was a bit annoying, but I can't help but wonder if it's part of a bigger character arc for him...*thoughtful*

I think we actually saw more Hawkes than Danny or Lindsay this week--it's nice to see more of him, although I feel bad for the poor man having to deal with the shark carcass. :p I loved when Mac was like 'let's look in the intestines'--dude, you mean 'do it, Sheldon.' :lol:

I'm meh about the Danny/Lindsay stuff. They still didn't clarify where they were as far as possible 'relationship' stuff goes before Ruben died, but...it seems like it's Lindsay's decision not to even watch a movie together (and geez, friends can watch movies too, that doesn't have to be a 'couple' activity :rolleyes:), but at the same time, Danny didn't try hard to change her mind. So maybe he is respecting her decision because he doesn't feel as strongly, or it could be because he and Rikki still have something going on...

I don't know, but Mac's comment that she puts up a brave front (or something similar) was kind of funny to me--she's transparent as far as I can see.

Anyway, good episode overall, and I'm looking forward to seeing the storyline continue. I hope we see more with Mac and Reed--I liked him trying to rein in Reed's enthusiasm. Everybody was great, and I almost didn't miss Adam. Almost. ;)

ETA: ACW1129, the victims weren't a coincidence, but that guy forcibly stopping the cab apparently messed up the killer's attempt to get to PJ--so he got the gas instead.

The spoilers did indicate that this episode was tied to a later one, MacsGirlMel, but it wasn't clear, I suppose. Sorry about that, but at least it was a surprise? *hopeful* :p

Lampdor: *snort*

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

:eek: Another fantastic episode! :thumbsup:

I am glad i don't read spoilers, the ending surprised me...ooohhh love a great mystery. The case was REALLY good. And for once they didn't give away the suspect by showing possible people during the eppy. It is a big unknown who the killer is, and i actually hope he is just a serial killers choosing his victims at random. My one big beef about CSI, whenever they have a psycho killer, they always kill for some reason. Well, i think it would be a change for once to have a killer just pick people at random because he likes to kill.

Other things i liked:
    -more Hawkes! and we even got a Hawkes/Danny scene...i like those two working together, they are funny
    -Reed!! He is so cute...awww, Mac had to be fatherly to him. Loved it.
    -Stella kicked the creep's ass! Go girl.
    -I loved the woman doing the review, she was not overly mean, but had great chemistry with Mac. At least it was only a kiss! But why the cold shoulder now? hmmm
    -Mac finally addressing the D/L situation, although he didn't seem to help much, but still good to see
    -we got a really good team effort on this. They were all working together, and they switched it up in the scenes...also Mac really stood out as a leader. Seemed very family like.
    -have to say it again...loved the case. It was really really good.

7. GTuruturu

GTuruturu Witness

in response to the 2-parter q: to keep the suspense of course!!!!!

i enjoyed the ep alot. idk if it was because i was looking for ties to like water for chocolate (which off topic an amazing book) or the fact that there was alot more Hawkes. just something i noticed. the danny lindsay stuff, seemed closer to season 2 banter which i miss, a little over the top but i didn't mind it. glad to see reed back, and the hints of claire and that **GASPS** Mac isn't perfect!

the soap opera stuff does kind of tie into the title too for those who know spanish lit.

8. messygirl73

messygirl73 Witness

Pretty good, has me pondering. I just knew the guy at the end was the killer. How wrong I was! I say ummmm......and A-. :)

9. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

Thanks Faylinn. That explains it :)

One more question I forgot: how come that Carbon Monoxide didn't kill that one vic? :confused:

Anyone know when the second part will air?

10. xPORCELAINDOLLx

xPORCELAINDOLLx Dead on Arrival

I gave it an A- mostly because the D/L crap annoyed the hell out of me but the case was great. It was, for me, the best episode out of the whole season as far as the cases go. It was actually interesting and I had no idea how it would end. I can usually guess who did it, but this time I guessed wrong! Yay!

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ooh, you made me think of more things, xfcanadian--the Hawkes-Danny scene was cute, I loved Danny saying he felt like he was in detention. Those two don't have enough scenes anymore! *holds up sign* :p

Stella being the one to take down the chocolate dude was fun--Flack's doing his chase-and-tackle thing, but Stella was the one who got him. It was great. :D

ACW1129--I dunno, maybe he didn't leave her in the back of the cab long enough before putting her in the trunk...

The killer will be back within the next few episodes, that much I know. However, I'm not not 100% sure whether he/she will appear in 4.18. :)

12. StellaMac

StellaMac Witness

Well, well, well... I liked it. We finally learned a bit more on Mac's personal life. At first, I thought this woman was going to be another failed attempt at a love interest for Mac. Instead, they had a somewhat a brief history. They used to work together side-by-side and they kissed once. Wait for it...Mac was married and his wife was alive at the time. Anyhoo, Mac called it a mistake. Ouchie, but true. So, our Mac's got flaws. I like it! He had a moment of weakness. Funny thing is now, they don't work together and Mac is no longer married yet he still doesn't want to start something with her.

For some strange reason, I liked it when Quinn and Stella were in scenes together. Stella was quite curious about her.

I loved the case and I love that it's not finished, the killer is still on the lose. Makes you think twice about getting in a cab doesn't it. :-D I made the same reasoning after watching the Bone Collector but I still took cabs after it.

Flack, my God, you're so fucking HOT and funny! I'm happy that Hawkes got more screen time tonight, another fine guy. Hmm, hmm!

We got to see Mac's dead wife kid again. Shit, I already forgot his name. Anyway, he's not as lost and creepy as he used to be. I got the impression that he and Mac keep in touch and have some sort of relationship. I like that.

The Danny/Lindsay situation - I'm guessing whatever they had going on is no longer. Danny is trying and she's shutting down. Considering what happened last episode, I'm happy about that. I'm assuming she doesn't know otherwise, she would be pissed.
    That said, Lindsay, really needs to separate her personal life from work life. And she seems to have issues with that, so she should have never gotten involved with a co-worker.

Little observation, Mac now knows that Lindsay and Danny hooked up, and he seems to have no problem with office dating as long as it doesn't affect the job.
    On CSI:Miami office dating was fine until shit happened and now they have this policy in place. On CSI, there was office dating but I don't remember any shit happening, anyway, when the news came out, a policy was also put in place. [Policy being people dating can't be on the shame shift working together.]

Overall, I gave it an A

13. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

A- from me. That was a pretty good episode I think. :) I love that Flack noticed the bruising on the victims neck, he's such a good detective. :lol:

It was great to see Reed back, and I think it showed an interesting insight into his and Mac's relationship. They seem to have been keeping in touch, which is good, and I think, maybe he's appeasing him somewhat by letting him have the scoop on the case, but also it's probable that Mac knows that a serial killer in the city will cause panic (obviously) and this is his way of, hopefully, having some control over the media reporting of it, and he trusts Reed to do the right thing.

I thought that Lindsay and Danny's exchange was interesting. It seemed to be going OK, and then Lindsay 'turned'. I don't really get why she walked away, she seems to be unable to deal with whatever feelings and emotions she having at the time, to be honest I did think it was a bit annoying. He basically asked her to watch a movie, and she can't deal with that suggestion? Meh, weird. But when the lab is being assessed you would think that they would all be on their best behaviour.

I did assume that Mac would have a talk with her about it, and her response wasn't exactly the best. Hopefully this will put an end to their inappropriate behaviour and discussions at work.

I'm undecided on Quinn, she had her uses, and I love that Sid wanted to impress her. She has an unrequited thing for Mac, which I don't get to be honest, and she's harboured these feelings for a long time. I couldn't gauge the timeline on it though, as I would have assumed that Stella might know her too, but apparently not. :confused:

And poor Sheldon. He always gets the worst jobs. He seemed to spend the majority of the episode with his hand in a shark's stomach. :lol:

Yeah, the subtle but significant changes to the original spoilers about their past did make me smile. And was more appropriate I think.

I found that strange. Doesn't the driver ever just take an actual fare? Why decide then to deviate from the pattern, unless he feared that the guy might ID him later and that the police were on to his pattern?

It would have ruined the ending to indicate that they weren't going to solve the case.

I think that she simply reminds him of a mistake that he made in the past.

14. macpeyfan

macpeyfan Witness

To me, the reason she had problems with Danny's movie suggestion is because he meant it as a gesture to a friend - just buds hanging out. She was the one who saw the relationship as more than just friendship but now she knows that Danny sees her as a friend, not as a love interest. But she still wants to be the love interest and that's the hard part. That's the part that she is still trying to "get over".
    Did that make any sense at all?

15. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

macpeyfan, that makes perfect sense to me. :) It's just that their little movie quoting moment seemed to be friendly enough, and he's trying to be friends, or in his own way makes amends, and she can't handle it. If she just said 'no, I don't think that would be appropriate' or 'no, let's not rent the movie and I don't want to just be friends' then it wouldn't bother me. To be honest it's their (mutual) lack of communication that is ridiculous. ;)

I didn't mention it earlier (I don't think I did anyway), but I love this cab serial killer thing. I think it has potential to be a great arc, and with so many cabs in NYC, I can buy that this guy will be difficult to catch, and that the lab (and Mac) might be under some pressure to solve it. Good stuff for season 4.5! :thumbsup: