Grade 'It Happened to Me'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 4, 2009.

?

How would you grade It Happened to Me?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

That line was hilarious! It sounded like Flack was talking down a five year old or a dog with the whole "It's VERY dangerous", the tone was almost like he was saying "Bad doggie!":guffaw:Definitely had a laughing fit over that line!

I seriously doubt everything has to be so realistic, worse stuff have been done on CSI with no real consequences, this is hardly a big deal, and besides, Mac's gone on warpath for all of his CSIs, so I really doubt they could argue favoritism or misconduct. It's suppose to be viewed as a bonding/character moment anyways, not some subtle hint that Mac was breaking protocol or something.

I don't see a big problem here too, Mac's the boss, he obviously takes good care of his people, that's what a boss should do. Any crime show does that with the lead/boss type character, they save the day and take care of the team.

I don't think she was saying she has any room to talk, but Hawkes has always been the one with the stellar record and always doing things right, you began to expect things, you put people up on a pedestal and the team does that with Hawkes. Out of all the CSIs, Hawkes the one that's probably most level-headed and professional, so in Stella and the others' minds, Hawkes is pretty much infallible. So when someone you hold up to high esteem does someone not so perfect, you are shocked. I'm not saying Stella was any right in her words and she is no perfect angel, but it is understandable why she would expect things from Hawkes.

I think she was focusing on the case at the moment, but you are right, she was insensitive in this one.

Flack's own issues has no bearings on what's happening with Hawkes. Flack isn't the one found in a room with someone who's charged with a crime. If Hawkes was just avoiding things or hiding things on a normal day, I doubt Flack would get all up in arms about it, but it was because Hawkes was found with a criminal and the fact that Flack could tell he was hiding something that made Flack take alert, just how could he sure that maybe what Hawkes's is hiding isn't related to the case?

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

me too :D

yeah i think there was definitely the equality element in there, you might be right, that stella's situation was potentially less dire - she at least had various options on where to stay.

yeah, i agree, in murder sings the blues, mac was very hung up on getting the perp, as hawkes pointed out, and his frustration was very much directed at hawkes for a slip that may have gone overlooked at other times - like this one!

hehe, yes, he does seem to be having a motivational speaking side role at the moment! maybe he could use that to supplement his income? he'd be able to move out of mac's in no time - which would leave room for me to move in! ;)

i see what you mean, i think there are potential implications there and i hope they're not ignored but i guess on the other hand it's meant to be temporary so....

as i recall, mac didn't barricade himself in with hawkes in MSTB, he bawled him out in front of the entire lab - lindsay tried to leave on grounds of awkwardness but mac wouldn't let her! the one where he barricaded himself in an interview room with hawkes was raising shane, and that was to help hawkes by trying to find out his POV on his arrest and therefore try to work out what angle to follow to find out who really did it.

i do see what you mean - i'm a big mac fan so i have to defend him i guess, i think maybe it's because he's their boss, he has a more vested interest in helping his team as an overall thing rather than just as their friend - also because he's their boss he can be more the kind of friend that gets involved when he *has* to and thus in bigger situations, than the kind of friend they hang out with and moan to over beer. also he has more age and experience on them so maybe it's because of that as well, he is a kind of father figure to them in some ways, which i think allows him more scope for helping them in dire situations, as opposed to just being a buddy.

i really like stella, but i definitely agree with this. pot, meet kettle!

again, i'm inclined to agree. i still don't know quite what i thought of that chat - i can see why people think she was just being reassuring, and to an extent i agree, given that she's his boss and therefore has a bona fide professional view on how secure his job is and so if she tells him to stop worrying then it's basically a confirmation that his job is fine. however, given the issues that have been raised around adam over some time, it did seem pretty insensitive as well.

i dunno, i see your point but i don't think it's unreasonable for someone who has their own issues that they are trying to keep to themselves to call out someone else for not being upfront about issues they are having. i mean, i get issues with things all the time that i definitely keep to myself, but i'm always advising my mates to be more upfront and talk about stuff that's bothering them. it's often easier to give advice than to take it, even if it's your own!

omg you are a genius, i really want to see this now! that android arm grabbing sample library has been bothering me anyway, so to have it revealed as an evil, murdering weird thing would be just great! and if it led to another guns blazing shoot out a la snow day, so much the better. although as it's samples, they should replace the water sprinklers from snow day with flour, talc, dust, icing sugar, photocopy toner, powdered paint, eyeshadow and other colourful powdery stuff - it would be really fun to watch :D

as for the sample library more generally - am i right in thinking it's only just appeared this season? when it was pointed out to lindsay that it even existed, it seemed like the team were having to remind themselves because it's so new and funky and weird that they keep forgetting it's there! it's a very flashy and expensive looking gizmo, but if it's such an amazing library resource, why are we only just finding out about it? so they can show how much cash they spent on a robot and some big glass slides?

3. Queenie

Queenie Witness

Oh yeah, Stella wasn't there for Sheldon.

[​IMG]

What was I thinking. :rolleyes: *end of sarcasm*

Stella was OOC when she slept with Adam! Now that's OOC!
    Scene where Mac & Stella were talking about Sheldon, Stella wasn't OOC. She didn't know how to face Sheldon or what to say. She explained herself to Mac and Mac agreed. He had been thinking the same things as she did.
    I don't get it why some people didn't get this scene and think Stella didn't care. :shifty:
    Did Stella really hugged Sheldon in the end or was it just inside my head? :rolleyes:

And scene between Adam and Stella. Uhm...what's the big deal about that?
    Stella did asked if Adam was ok. Stella did noticed that something was wrong with him.
    Moving things might seem no big deal to someone who doesn't have OCD. They might not understand it's a big deal. Adam doesn't like Hayley (or whatever is her name) because he feels she's going to take his job away.
    There are other lab techs working in the lab as well! They must move things as well!
    So I don't see how Stella should've acted in this case? I think she handled it well. And I think in the end Adam understood how silly he must have sounded. I didn't see him ending up upset.

So Stella being OOC in this episode? :shifty: Naaaah, I don't think so.

4. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

ill give it a b+,it was nice to see hawkes a bit more and see some private issues ,and how they going through.csi ny is settled now,after the first cases i can tell by now that csiny will be going for at least 3 more season.i mean they try to put adam in the spotlight,we will see definitly more of helen(i like her by the way),flack will get more screentime,had a hawkes case right here.they feedin us with so much (background)storys that indicates(mo)to at least 3 more seasons,and thats by the way great television!!!
    thumps up to the writers of ny and of course lv!

5. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Sorry Queenie but.... it's different to hugge Sheldon at the end when everything is OK (I mean he has no money left but it's not that serious, and he can handle it), and try to speak to him to know if something is wrong like Danny Flack and Mac did it, and maybe to try to help.

She didn't want to face the problem, and after she comes and says You should have told us... really so fair... I certainly don't want friends like Stella in my life.

So what did you say ??? Oh yes she was here for him:lol::lol::lol:

6. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I thought that was "Raising Shane"!

I agree!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Grade = B-

The case itself wasn’t that compelling. Seems like they took a series of disparate elements and put them together more to facilitate Hawkes’ personal story than to actually build a coherent, interesting case. The gratuitous sploshing, Hawkes’ larcenous buddy (who really had nothing to do with the actual case), the murderer whom we didn’t even see until his capture – those elements really made the case itself a bit jumbled.

What saved this episode were the character interactions. This really was a strong Hawkes episode, and Hill Harper did a great job showing a range of emotions. His scenes with the other team members also gave a better understanding of the dynamics of the various relationships.

It was interesting to see Hawkes portrayed as the victim of a financial scam. Of all the characters, he (and perhaps Mac) are the ones who would seem least likely to fall into that type of trap. Hawkes is normally so level-headed and thorough that it’s hard to imagine him getting into that situation. On the other hand, one has to wonder about some of the people he apparently hangs out with – first the old friend from last season who wanted him to sabotage the flash drive and now the friend who turns out to be a criminal. Maybe it’s a good thing he’s going to stay with Mac for awhile.

While I liked the premise of Hawkes’ storyline, the way the writers finally revealed his plight was a bit too contrived. Having Hawkes share his personal situation with that level of detail while trying to talk down a distraught suspect was a bit much. It would’ve been better if he’d given a Cliff Notes version while on the fire escape and left more of the detail for the final scene with Mac and Stella. My view of the fire escape scene probably wasn't helped much by my laughter over Flack's "very dangerous" line -- made it a bit difficult to take the whole thing seriously.

The other character interactions were strong as well – Sid and Danny in the lab was fun to see, and it also was nice to see Adam and Lindsay interacting in a more comfortable, friendly manner. Flack seemed more like his normal self, and Mac and Stella had some solid scenes as well. I especially liked their last scene with Hawkes. As usual the two of them teamed up nicely to take care of their team – Dad Mac takes care of the practical, giving Hawkes a place to stay, and Mom Stella gives him the warm, nurturing hug at the end. Aww….

Re: Mac and Stella’s earlier conversation about Hawkes, I did think it was odd that Stella said she hadn’t spoken with Hawkes and didn’t know what to say to him – seems somewhat OOC for her – and she did come across as a bit too judgmental and critical, especially considering some of her past transgressions. But I think some of this is partly due to the way the writers use Mac and Stella to counterbalance each other. At times, it seems whenever they write Mac in a softer, more accessible way, they tend to give Stella the harder, more critical POV -- almost a role reversal of sorts. What happened in the episode “Help” shows more of what I would consider their normal roles, with Mac being the one to call Hawkes on the carpet for hiding his connection to the case and IIRC, Stella trying to explain Hawkes POV.

As for the Adam – Stella scene, I didn’t see Stella as doing anything particularly wrong or insensitive. She did notice that Adam seemed off his game and came back to ask about it. However, when Adam launched into those comments about Haylen moving things, etc., it must’ve sounded a bit petty and over the top from Stella’s perspective. I don’t see why Stella would’ve assumed that Adam’s comments were based on insecurity over his job (or OCD tendencies) because to me it didn't come across that way onscreen. It sounded more like Adam was being territorial and even a bit snobby. So I didn’t have a problem with the way Stella responded – she didn’t blow up at Adam, instead she used a smile and a few words to perhaps make him see how he was coming across, and that sheepish smile from Adam at the end made me think he saw the point. Just my interpretation, others may vary of course.

On to more superficial stuff….Maybe because this was a more character-driven episode, I found myself paying more attention to appearances. I was terribly distracted by Danny’s hair and beard in this episode – not a good look for him IMO. And what was with that low cut, totally inappropriate shirt that Stella was wearing in the first part of the episode? I thought they seemed to be moving away from putting her in that type of wardrobe. Oh well, maybe this is part of her spontaneity arc. :rolleyes:

I wasn’t too thrilled with the concept of the crossover when it was first announced, but the previews and other descriptions actually have me looking forward to it. Hope next week’s episode has strong ratings so that maybe they’ll consider doing more crossovers in the future.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  8. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

:luvlove::adore::luvlove::adore::luvlove::adore: :luvlove: :adore::luvlove:
    :adore::luvlove:It's true love!:luvlove::adore:
    :luvlove::adore::luvlove::adore::luvlove::adore: :luvlove: :adore::luvlove:

or at least, I think so. :luvlove:

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i never thought she didn't care, for the record, i thought she was just questioning hawkes' judgement, which is fair enough, but i do think she was a bit harsh on him especially given that she's not exactly been a saint in her own dealings with recent cases. the fact that she was there for him as well doesn't make this not true - it's possible to be there for friends and critical at the same time. the nature of the criticism was what bothered me a little, calling him out for things he did that were no better or worse than things she herself had done.

also i never thought it was OOC particularly, just a lapse of memory on her part. oh, and, (i realise this isn't the place for it but...) i never thought stella was ooc for sleeping with adam either.

yeah, definitely, he seems to know some very shady characters! must've been a very odd uni he went to if they were all uni buddies! i also agree that mac was the only other candidate for a story like this - he and hawkes are the most careful and level headed and thorough. but i guess with hawkes being younger it made more sense as well, not because an older person wouldn't have been duped, but because presumably an older character would be more likely to have more reserves of cash etc elsewhere to fall back on, whereas younger people tend not to.

yeah i've noticed that too, they do definitely seem to use them to play off eachother, almost in a good cop/bad cop kind of way, so that if one is being overly harsh on someone, the other steps in and balances it up with a bit more understanding.

see, this is why i'm torn on it - i kinda saw that too, much as i think adam does have certain issues that made him react that way, it did come across as a little petulant and at the time i thought stella essentially brushing it off seemed fair, but then on watching it again and thinking about it more it seemed a little harsh given that she knows his history (of possible ocd type issues, of job insecurity etc) and i thought she could've been a bit more understanding instead of just kinda telling him to grow up (although not in so many words)

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Yeah, this was a good storyline for Hawkes, and I thought the way they presented his financial situation actually made sense. I guess he had lost his savings and whatever he had put away for retirement to that point. I was a little confused about the extra overtime and whether he needed that just to replenish his savings or to help pay bills. It didn’t sound like he was destitute though, because he still has a decent paying job and was able to sell his condo, presumably for a good price. And I gathered that the reason he was sleeping on friends’ couches was because his condo sold before he had time to find a new place, not necessarily because he couldn’t afford one. So he may not be staying with Mac for long.

Well, with the “old” Adam, I agree I might’ve expected Stella to handle him in a different way. In the past, I do think she has been gentler with Adam, presumably because she did see the issues of awkwardness and insecurity. But Adam has changed in some ways, and the new version of Adam does seem more confident and assertive, so some of his reactions to Haylen (including when he first met her) come across as sort of petty.

And in light of Adam’s newfound confidence, maybe Stella does expect him to be more mature about this sort of thing as well. (I sort of hope so because if Stella really does see Adam as having all these issues, that would make her one-night-stand with him even more troubling.) I can see that Stella might not even consider that Adam would feel insecure about his job though, given that they made a special effort to save it and also knowing how much Mac values Adam’s work.

In any case, I think part of the problem is that so far they have played this competition thing with Haylen in a rather humorous light, and since we haven’t really seen her do anything specific to undermine Adam (yet), it makes Adam’s reactions seem a little much.

11. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

The case itself was interesting, but I think tptb rushed the motive for murder. Even after I heard his gut wrenching cry, the motive was not that convincing to me. But Hill Harper did wonderful job anyway. Danny and Flack had a very cute moment and Mac didn't look like a god in a long while. Sid had a really good time with Danny out of the morgue, he's always good. I think Lindsay didn't have a memorable moment. Stella was a bit weird, I don't know but it seems to me that Melina kind of lost a clue to her character. :confused: I think it's weird expression please forgive me I'm not a native english speaker. Maybe Melina's trying to add something on her character. Adam... the scene with Stella itself was cute, but after the thing between them... It was awkward, because I know there was a thing between them, but there wasn't a comment or a gesture on that. Stella didn't even blink when Adam mentioned Haylen. I know tptb wouldn't give more intimate moments of them, but I hope one day, they would give me a small explanation about it at least.

Good episode, I gave it an B. :)

Now I gatta go to the first page and read other posts. It's really interesting! :lol:

12. Andie

Andie Hit and Run

Well, I gave this episode an A+. I really thought it was well done.:thumbsup:

I of course loved the fact that the storyline revolved around Sheldon.:) He is a brillant character and it was nice to get to see more of him.

But I have to say, my favorite thing about this episode was Mac. As much as I love him, lately he has been getting to high and mighty for my liking. I get tired of seeing him have this personal vendetta against all of these killers. It was so nice to see him kind of take a step back from all that for a while.

And I really hope we get a peak in the living situation of Mac and Sheldon. Ha, how much would I pay to see the two of them sitting together at breakfast. :lol:

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i forgot to say earlier, and this is kinda silly in a post all by itself but hey ho - i really liked the opening shot, the aerial view of the giant footprint crime scene, with all their shadows slowly closing in. that was a great bit of cinematography :D

14. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

Loved the episode.
    Wonderful case, wonderful characters.
    Would've done without speaking corpses, jumped out of my skin twice.

As for Stella topic.... people who act cold and bitchy are usually not like that underneath. It's just a cover, to defend themselves. Speaking from personal experience. I am said to be bitchy too, though I am not like that intentionally...so there...

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I gave this one an A-.

The character stuff was great in this episode--I always enjoy the eps where there's something personal going on with one or more of the characters, and this was no exception. It was nice to see Hawkes in a tough spot, twice over really. Hawkes is a confident, proud character, so it's rare to see him in a place where he questions himself, but this episode did that really well.

It was nice to see Mac reign himself in a bit and not let loose with the anger. He was obviously upset, but he knows Hawkes well enough to know there was more going. And he ended up being right.

I didn't find Stella that OOC. She's always been a tough love kind of woman--I've never seen her as the mother hen of the team. She can be very warm and does care about everyone on the team, but she holds them to high standards in the same way Mac does. And she's never been the one to be coddling. I get the judgmental claims, but I think that's only human--no one is perfect, but we're always quick to question/point out/worry about other's missteps. Same thing with Flack--just because he's making some questionable decisions doesn't mean he's going to let someone else's slide.

Speaking of Flack, his reaction to any case where food is involved cracks me up. Flack was not a fan of sploshing. :lol: Loved it! I also thought it was sweet how he lit up and got this huge grin on his face when he spotted Danny at the apartment across the way. It's nice to see his smile! Their interaction was beyond cute. I loved Danny's little sign off telling Flack to take care of himself and Flack's casual, "Who me?" A very sweet moment.

I'd watch that, too. :lol: :lol: :lol: Fay, I love your imagination--it truly knows no bounds! :D