Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• D-

• F

• Total voters
Hookay. A nice, big, dense episode. Wasn't sure how to organize my comments on it. But here 'goes.

Overall, I liked this episode, and thought it another step up in quality as the season marches on. Last week's was better than the previous, and this week's was better than the last. The show's heading in the right direction, at least imo.

The case wasn't so much a driving murder mystery but felt mostly a puzzle, and in some ways relegated to a puzzle piece in deciphering what was up with Hawkes. That seemed as much a mystery to be solved by the rest of the team as the murders of the two victims. It wasn't a compelling episode for me in wanting to know what happened to that couple, as I wasn't invested in them as characters; they were superficial and a function of the rest of the plot. I was interested in that Hawkes himself had to figure out how much responsibility he might decide to assume in their deaths.

Similarly, the murderer, John Simmons, came in very last minute, and so I wasn't particularly invested in him either. Nick Chinlund is a familiar face, and one that led me to hope he woulda had more to do for the episode. Both the victims and the perp really seemed to be there in service to Sheldon's story. While that was a factor in what I might deem the lacklustre success of the mystery crafted, I still found the show engaging on a character level. At some point I'd very much love an episode to have a really intense, pithy mystery for the team to dig into, something that leads the viewers as well as the team on a merry chase.

As for Sheldon. We learned a few things about him this week. He had some serious guilt and self-reproach going on, running deeper than bodies speaking to him (I hear dead people). Because of spoilers, I understood where some of it stemmed from, though not to the degree I foresaw how much Sheldon felt responsible and at fault (rightly or misplaced) for what happened to him. How quickly he bottomed out did seem another example of temporal origami, but was not something I found really detracted from the show. Hawkes was out of sorts from the top of the ep, with his all but snippy, verging on righteous behaviour in the park (even though he'd said volunteering was the best thing in his life keeping him sane), and so of course I wanted to know whattup.

The early Mac/Sheldon scene, in addition to that first flash/body talk "you could have saved me" moment, set the frission tone for the ep that carried thru, right to the rather predictably set up denouement. It was interesting that Sheldon approached Mac professionally, perhaps felt obligated to, though he did so with a delay, but was not able to hint at anything more personal. To any of them. Most rightly read that whatever was troubling him stemmed from more than the deaths in this case, and few seemed to know what to do about it, with Doc Hawkes typically a reliable anchor on the team. Mac's "you can't go back and save him" was a good line, and one as applicable to Sheldon's circumstances as to the deaths being investigated.

I had little doubt that Sheldon would be exonerated of any possibility he could have saved the couple, but even so, it wouldn't change his behaviour in the park. Nice to see him portrayed a little less than squeaky perfect and ammenably genial all the time. Because of previous Sheldon eps, such as they can be called, the scene of him getting a ride from his bud in the flashy red car immediately had me wryly questioning "geez, are all his friends gonna be well-to-do pricks?" He gave Sheldon a lift, and later we found he also gave him a place to crash, but I suspected all the same he would also be another example of Sheldon's circle of friends outside the labs having apparent issues, from the ethical to the criminal. That said, how it was done, and the following scenes that gave us, I quite liked.

I was so glad to see Sid back tonight, complete to his usual humour by way of 'noodling on.' :p. That was one of many examples of Stella being used to play off the others in this episode. Lindsay was back this week as well. Nothing to say about that really, except it seems it was back to business as usual. Sorta bland but innocuous. I guess I was hoping the Engrish Ant Chalk mighta come off a little more fun. That was okay in the end. Everyone (of the regulars) was present and accounted for this ep, and it was nice to see the whole ensemble mixing. Including Edna. Apparently Ubertech has a name :p. Not quite You Can Call Me Hal, but vaguely amusing in a bit of a forced way to introduce the labs had such a lovely shiny gadget onhand.

It was a nicely balanced ep in that work in the labs seemed reasonably spread out across the team. I was mildly curious during the montage sequence with Danny at the apartment, there was a random CSI collecting evidence, and I wondered why they hadn't stuck Haylen in there, but as soon as I'd had that Hmm the next scene was Adam bemoaning her rearrangement of the lab feng shui. I'll come back to Adam.

For me, Danny wasn't too prominent in this ep, though he had some good moments. The sequence wherein he and Sheldon were watching the Utube vid disgracing Italian cuisine was fun, though a tad that disturbing it made him hungry all the same :lol: (it made me anything but). At least Sheldon was focused :p. The fact he recalled the charm the girl was wearing during his dismissive park med consultation had him back to his usual brilliant teddy bear self in his observational skillz. Devil's in the details, I supposed :p. Some of ya loved the Dan/Flack moment, but I gotta say that my favourite Messer contribution this ep was the sequence with him and Sid :D. My eyes admittedly glazed a touch during the babble exchanged :lol: but I love love loved Messer's "Sid, this is your candy store." :D. Aw. Yay and way fun to see him in a white lab coat instead of his morgue navy scrubs, partaking in a bit of Mister Wizardry. I hope the writers find more ways to involve Sid like that this season.

As a side observation, the Sid/Danno sequence also gave us the line, "okay, Sid, it's been four hours..." !by gad, a temporal framework reference! :lol:. It also led to a nice cut from Dan and Sid to Mac with "so it puts us back to/48 hrs." Nice transition.

Onto Don. As much as I'm liking his arc this season, I thought it was nice and appropriate his issues were mostly downplayed and that attention was essentially on Sheldon's in this episode. The same could be said where Messer's path to walking is concerned, with only quips in passing and that odd bit with the cane in processing the apartment. Don's "too many cooks in the kitchen" was fun, leading up to the introduction of sploshing. Once at the party, it was nice to see Don & Stella working together, again, frequently used as the straight men, so to speak, in the face of whatever social oddity TPTB wish to highlight in a given ep. Flack certainly had eagle eyes to nudge her after spotting Messer quite literally cross-town thru a window and inside an apartment how many floors up to call over. Of course, Messer has long since lost his glasses, and so I'm not surprised Flack beat him to it :p. He couldn't even see the telescope, apparently :lol:.

The scene between Flack and Sheldon was intense and consise, and I thought very well played and dynamic. I didn't have a problem with Flack here. Finding that that your crime-fighting colleague was discovered sleeping on the sofa of a guy a warrant raid was served on merits a question or two, personally and professionally. (I could also say that Flack will find himself on the karmic flip side, self-induced no less, when he finds himself waking up in Terence's place in an ep upcoming). Similarly, the following scene with Sheldon and Mac was good, displaying a contrast in tone and approach. Both were trying to call Sheldon on what they saw, and Sheldon gave neither anything. It was nice to hear Mac say he hoped he might be viewed as other than just an authority figure, and that his offer of willing ears was something that could be trusted. The later scene of Mac and Sheldon in action harkened back to the second ep of the season, and was just as fun and good to see here. Flack's line about "what you're doing is very dangerous" was odd, funny for being "did he really just say that?" and the feeling that they just had to have something for Don to say.

Back now to Adam, and Stella. Adam's giggle was adorably funny when he clued into why the pasta strand was found where it was found on the victim, before splainin sploshing to Don and Stella. Stella's expression at Adam's "you can go to a website to get an invitation" made me laugh aloud. They may not be an item, but they do play off each other well. I was only hoping at that point that Stella's Unlimits would not include entertaining sploshing as a pursuit. It also made me think that their brief encounter could have been a lot of fun :lol:. Such an unassuming fella, who knows about the damndest things :p.

Stella was used as a counterpoint to a lot of characters in this ep, and she did a lot of lab wizardry expertise herself, and in some ways was the utility player of the ep. I thought it was a good episode for her. The lab scene with Adam and Stella was fun (Plz don't toast the GCMS) :p. She also did notice and ask Adam what was vexing him, and I thought it was funny (and meant to be) that he was annoyed by Haylen's test tube feng shui. I also read it as more a territorial issue than one of insecurity.

I didn't think Stella was cold regarding either Adam or Sheldon this ep. I have been a little perplexed she hasn't been more direct in talking to people she's concerned about so far this season. Some of that goes to time constraints, some of it goes to writing decisions. Curious enough to be noticeable for her character, especially as she's been known in past years to deliver chicken soup to one's doorstep while still intending to deliver a chewing out, for example, but not so much as I'd say she's coldly deliberate. For someone supposedly reivigorated with passion and spontanaeity, she seems quite cautious, and where the others are concerned, careful not to be intrusive.

The show, aside from the one ep with the boy (was it Party's Over?), hasn't highlighted whatever OCD Adam may suffer from or relate to. They have far more consistently played up his personality where his sense of humour is concerned (Adam.Edu, paper airplanes, carrot bongs, fascination with silicone dolls, etc), his tendency to get a little tongue-tied or flustered, knowledge of more alternative or extreme social entertainments and culture, and his bearing with regards to confidence, which I think has evolved over the seasons. His OCD has gotten relatively little play. If they'd made a bigger deal about it, if they'd somehow made it a consistent aspect of his temperment, I might be more inclined to read Haylen's test-tube rearrangement as more personally invasive. Adam came across as miffed and grumbling, not wounded :p. I don't think Stella was dismissive but kept a measure of perspective and scale, and Adam himself seemed more wryly chagrined by the status he accorded the Haylen stuff and being gently poked for it.

I would also think that Adam would know by this point, after everyone gave up their vacations to buy time to figure out a way to keep him on (at Stella's likely instigation, no less), that they'd do anything for him if anything were truly threatening. I'm not being dismissive of Adam as a character, or his concerns, but I think in the context of the show they are played to be humourous and human in all glorious foibles, not as attacks or belittling of him in some fashion, and no one does it better than AJ.

Stella got another fun reaction shot at Mac's "he wasn't about to let the invitation go unanswered." Their later scene talking about Sheldon was very good. It was far more in depth than when they'd nudged each other about Flack. And in this case, there was an immediate coupling of personal concern with professional implications in the mix that they were trying to figure out how to balance. With Don, they also knew why his behaviour had shifted. With Sheldon, neither had any insight, and weren't sure how to go about asking, or in Mac's case, what to do with what he got for approaching him. As with Don, it was kind of interesting that Sheldon continued to withdraw, relying instead on the circle of friends who consistently seem to let him down, too proud and too embarrassed to lean on his lab family.

The perp on the balcony led to a predictably formatted unveiling of motive and explantion of the murders. The same again as the vehicle for revealing Sheldon's situation and ability to relate. Mallets out, present arms. Pop goes the weasel. :p. How it was written still contained some nice stuff for Hawkes though. In light of how he chose to interact with the both the victims, and the rest of the team on occasion, I especially liked, "the worst part of it is that it changed me, and I don't like what I've become." What he hid, lied about, lost, sold. For a nano-sec I thought NY might actually let Simmons drop, but that would have been an ending atypical for NY in recent years, and a startlingly dark thing do to all of them, but particularly Sheldon on the balcony and Flack in the alley below.

It did end on a warmer, fuzzier note, though Hawkes was still reproaching himself and the lifestyle he had, 'more than he needed,' in his words. It ends with Sheldon finally speaking his own details of the title, It Happened To Me. Stella was good too, countering that with "you weren't greedy, you were optimistic," which actually looks far worse a line on paper than she was able to make it sound in the ep :lol:, and also the better moment of telling Sheldon "don't you dare quit." Mac's smile, after by-passing debate regarding his offer of a place to stay via lobbing keys at Sheldon, was also kinda cute. At least Mac's unlikely to be arrested in the wee hours, so mebbe Sheldon can actually get a night's sleep. Barring Mac snoring. Which was apparently a factor in Stella turning down a similar offer from Mac at one point. :lol:.

I enjoyed this episode. Sheldon got some long overdue focus, and in terms of character, it was well done, though it did feel as though it overshadowed the actual case. There was a good mix of team interaction, some humor. Stella got tonnes to do and had lots of fun listening/response moments, Mac and Don also got some good moments in the story with Hawkes. Hawkes was painted a little deeper than being super brilliant alone, and Mac was painted a touch more human. Adam was his usual fountain of quirky knowledge and opportunistic humour infusion, and I always welcome extended Sid involvement of any sort.

It had some good looking moments, as where the girl was found floating in her flooded apartment. The "you could have saved me" flashes were good, and an element in style I liked in the show. The guest actors weren't terribly prominent or a factor in the show for me. The realtor lady in blue was portrayed in a way that I wanted to tap her on the forehead to see if she was hollow or some sort of android; as a character type, I suppose the actress did very well :lol:.

As for Simmons, I would like to have seen a little more of his character sooner, to feel for him all the more. He too was overshadowed by Sheldon and his circumstances. I just think that knowing more of him would somehow have made it a more compelling plot and powerful motive. The victims were also all but overshadowed by their partaking in sploshing, and the show using that as aren't-we-abstractly-kewl-for-da-shit-we-incorporate element. I wound up feeling very little for them or their deaths, aside, again, from Sheldon's links to them. Just a touch more balance needed so both sides of the case felt a little less superficial.

Throughout the hour, I wondered who the writers were on this one, as it mostly exceeded my expectations and pleasantly surprised me, and met my hopes for a decent Sheldon episode. Kudos to PV & Wendy Battles. There it is. :p:).

Graded: B.

Last edited:
As for Stella topic.... people who act cold and bitchy are usually not like that underneath. It's just a cover, to defend themselves. Speaking from personal experience. I am said to be bitchy too, though I am not like that intentionally...so there...

oh yeah, i definitely agree!

Freaked me out when the dead bodies jumped up and talked to Hawkes.

Thought it was funny that Adam knew why the guy had pasta inside his pants.

Liked the Danny and Flack scene, even though I would have prefered it if they were in the same room together. :)

Poor Adam having his lab messed up by Haylen.

Felt bad for Hawkes. Frigging Bernie Madoff. That was cool of Mac to let him stay at his place for awhile.

At the end when the guy went to jump off the fire escape and Hawkes and Mac catch him, in one scene his sweater sleeves are down and they have him by the sweater and in the next they're rolled up and they have him by his arms.

Thought the "very dangerous" line was funny.

Pretty much an enjoyable episode.

Last edited:
Back