Grade 'Indelible'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 23, 2011.

?

How would you grade Indelible?

1. A+

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. A

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I gave it an A+. The case was alright, but in this episode it was not the main focus so that's fine for me. I thought everything concerning 9/11 was done wonderfully. I really liked that scenes from the real ceremony for the wall was wonderful. (I really enjoyed it even more because some people I know were there and I saw them on TV.) All the flashbacks were intense. I liked how even though there were not flashbacks for Adam and Lindsay they talked to one another about how it still changed them and that they might have been close to each other in the following days helping out. There are not many deep scenes with them and that was a good one. Of course, as a Mac fan I loved all of the scenes with him and Claire. It was great to see some of their relationship. A great tribute.

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

What to say. Only just managed to finally catch the ep at all. Random musings follow.

Call it in the B-ish realm for me.

I'm glad NY devoted an ep to 9/11, and to character material. Was it epic? No. (It was easy for me to overthink and over anticipate it some, being both the premiere and an ep addressing such subject matter, and I knew I would, but there really wasn't much else to talk about :p). It was instead a very specifically focused glimpse, and better for it. Was the undertaking worthy? IMO, yes. Was it essentially a separate entity from the season likely to follow? I'd guess very much so.

Case? What case? Ask again after 8.02.

I enjoyed the opening with Claire and Mac. I liked the opening credits fading to grey. I enjoyed the lab opening with Adam, liked how that sequence also laid out where things were at, enjoyed how Adam was used to bring humor throughout the ep, but also got material in his own right.

Back briefly to Mac & Claire. I at first thought the bus scene early in the ep bordered on saccharine cheez, but when they later replayed a snippet of the same again at the end, I didn't think it was quite so cheezy anymore. I liked the depiction of Claire, fun and poking Mac, and thought the opera tickets were a nice touch, from Joe of the Robbery squad to Mac setting them into the ocean as the event he and Claire never got to. I said my piece on the phone-call scene in the spoiler thread, and I'll largely stand by it. I thought it worked well, and was wrenching as a final moment between the couple.

I also thought it fitting that we never knew what happened to Claire, as Mac never knew, and still doesn't know.

I thought a touch like that, as well as Adam's story of sleeping thru it all, and also having a character like the woman who wound up being the killer saying, "...why? What's today?" helped to keep the ep grounded and not falling over the edge of an overly perfect tribute, if that makes sense.

I enjoyed seeing Mac and Jo both doing their respective actual hands-on lab work, Mac in particular being a scientist again; it's not a place we often saw either of them as co-supervisors last season. I also enjoyed Mac/Jo thru the ep, and the depiction of a friendship that looks to have been easily maintained despite Mac's absence from daily interaction.

I thought Hanna was well played too. Interesting too that Mac apologized to her. He is turning into a softy isn't he :p. Kidding, but it was nice to see Mac as human and not simply Boss.

It was also nice to see Jo as resisting having that title settle on her shoulders, or being put into that slot. The coffee shop scene between Mac and Jo was easygoing, and the bit about Joe DiMaggio's locker had me smiling inspite of myself. The more I see of Jo, the more I like her, and the more I want to see of her, and the two of them together are also consistently engaging. It was also nice to see Adam poking at Jo as he often did Mac, though the dynamic is different, and nice to see Jo using Mac as a sounding board.

Jo was a bit harsher than I expected in extracting the confession, and so it's possible that keeping Mac's chair warm has had an effect on her, and I'll be curious if that tone surfaces again here and there in upcoming eps.

It was fun if somewhat awkard if also more fun because it was sorta odd and awkward seeing Mac relaxing enough to teasingly allude to himself as a charismatic and charming cop, while being informed he decidely is not by the grumpy old cop, Joe. ...Dunno what it is about coffee shop/deli/diner scenes, but over the years they've consistently brought out different sides of Mac :lol:, and I can't think of one I haven't liked.

I think the Mac/Joe Vincent scenes were some of the best of the episode, especially the wordless hug at the end. The emotion there was the one time in the ep that really tightened my throat.

Mac also seemed to answer his own S7 question of "what am I doing," with his statement, "if you saw what that meant to the victim's family, you'd never question why you do it," and will probably be touched upon again as NY re-integrates him behind DMaggio's locker :p.

Flack was good as always, and his typical interaction in interrogation was fun ("I can't imagine what it's like, going thru that withdrawal" / "kinda like cops and donuts"). Flack and Jo with Black and white Mikes was another fun moment, as was "the jury's still out on you, interim boss," and they're another pairing that are fun to watch onscreen.

Word of the ep was Skeletonization, near on par with Curvatures of Lettuce, and Flack noted the same just as I was rolling my eyes at the repetition, and I had to smile again at having been successfully baited by the show. F*ckers :lol:.

As for Messer, it felt easier than I thought it might to see him and Mac both away from the team, and the team running just fine without either directly in the mix. Granted it was case lite :lol:. Still, he was integrated in his new capacity pretty well, and still taking down perps with Flack as ever.

The flashback with Flack was nice, but we really didn't see much of Danny in this ep, and with his upcoming arc, I suppose that's not really surprising. It was similarly nice to see Sid, if also only too briefly. He's apparently also the only one who can tie his own tie to unnamed standards :lol:.

I thought the flashbacks in themselves were pretty good, I liked that they were personal reflections and not discussions, save for Adam & Lindsay at the end. I liked that they did lightly touch upon different moments in the timeline, and that there were references to the days in the immediate aftermath as well as 9/11. All the flashbacks were also paired, save for Mac and Jo having individual ones. Time-saving no doubt, but given Jo was in Washington, it would also have been impossible to double up, unless hers too was conversationally related. I'm glad NY went futher to show the Pentagon, and gave Jo her own moment.

Sid and Hawkes being paired was also nice, and I'm glad Sid was included. That both were treating first responders and general casualties was moving, and then to have Mac stumbling in with more, was something I didn't foresee, although it was no doubt meant as another cyclical moment. I thought it was also a bit wrenching to have Mac driven back and helping those he could. I was personally less keen on the prayer moment, but can see it as fitting the character, and also possibly leading into his later issues with faith. I thought this flashback became more about the first responders in general, beyond the show's roster of characters, that NY nicely stepped back just a bit here, in leading up to the ceremony at the end.

As for Adam/Lindsay, it was one of her better moments too, and as others have noted, the dynamic between them was one I enjoyed more than many of others she's been typically employed in, and the tone for the character was such I found it easier to relate to, and like, for that matter. (I'm still not keen on the character, but I am making an effort to acknowledge even the smallest increments of improvement in her depiction, at least IMO :p). That the pair of them had possibly been working the same bucket lines was as cyclical as having Mac enter into Sid & Sheldon's flashback, but what are ya gonna do. It is still NY, afterall.

The tribute at the end with the real families was all the more moving for having included them.

As expected, the ep is drawing a mix of responses. I'm glad the show undertook to do it, even if it was not the tightest or strongest ep the show has done. The "case" felt simply a way of keeping within the mandate, while also providing a context for the character moments, be it the Adam being The Man, impressing Interim Boss with remotely accessing technology for a convenient progression, or getting Jo back into the labs, etc.

Overall the ep was sedate and introspective, and I'm not sure I could see it going another way. As such, it prompted a similar introspection in me. I suppose I can't hope for an ep like this one to do more than that, really. I think it was respectfully done, and I certainly don't think 9/11 should be off-limits from reflection in pop culture, nor the debate each foray inevitably stirs.

As an hour of teevee, it had a pretty low-key pace, had a bit of a choppy flow, but it was trying to cover a lot of ground. Sound and music was a bit hit and miss, but that's probably just my taste. It had the stones to address a tribute to 9/11, it was moving at times, it was a good-looking ep, had some humor, some good character moments and insights, and felt like a deliberate plateau for the show looking back before it sets off into moving forward into the season, taking the characters in new directions. It felt like it was a separate, unique one-off type ep, and it was really.

In any case. Here's looking forward to seeing the show get back into the swing of things this week.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Most of the music they use on NY isn't to my taste (as far as non-instrumental stuff goes). I think the song from the end of last season was the first one in a long time that I actually liked.

4. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

Just for the heck of it I did the math. At 40 hours per week, 17 weeks in four months, that would amount to roughly 680 hours of comp time which meant he worked at least 450 unpaid hours over the years. (This is, of course, highly unlikely. Not that he worked it, but because most jobs that allow comp time won't let people save that much on the books. At mine it's only 160, and that's generous.) He also probably has some vacation time saved up. Still, it's possible.

5. aintnorock

aintnorock Civilian

Who Plays Claire?

The first show of the season had Claire, but imdb nor the CBS website credits her. I know I've seen her on something else, but can't place her. Anybody know?

Thanks,
    carl

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: Who Plays Claire?

Jamie Ray Newman played Claire in last week's episode. She was Kat on the recent short lived ABC show "Eastwick" based on the movie "The Witches of Eastwick". She has also appeared in several epiosdes of Syfy Channel's "Eureka". She was in one episode of TNT's "Leverage". I know there are other things she's been in, but this is all I can recall at the moment.

7. aintnorock

aintnorock Civilian

Re: Who Plays Claire?

Thanks so much,.

8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I went ahead and moved your posts to the grading thread. :)

9. penguincity

penguincity Dead on Arrival

I finally figured out what bothered me about the Claire/Mac bathroom scene.
    The way my romance works, and I assume I'm not abnormal, if the couple is is love, they get up and head off to clean up in the bathroom. Most guys shave AFTER they have showered. So, if Mac is shaving, why isn't he wearing a towel? How many guys get out of the shower and put on PJ bottoms and a muscle shirt? The whole bathroom thing just seemed too contrived. I guess Mac didn't want to be caught in bed with his wife, or someone didn't want to suggest the possibility that they actually could have been intimate in the relationship. But it just seemed that they could have gotten them out of bed in a better, more "love-ly" way.

10. penguincity

penguincity Dead on Arrival

Is this the right thread for this commet? I am totally confused.

11. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

yes it is.

But :wtf:? I can think of several reasons why that scene worked the way it did. If you want to pick apart the details of the scene, they had clearly been up for a while considering Claire was that dressed. I refuse to wear non-slounge clothes for as long as possible. My husband's the same. And I will also say that both he, and every guy I know in the military who HAS to shave, hates it. In large part because it's a forced thing. If they don't have to, they don't. And when my husband whas still a medic and had to, he'd put if off for as long possible.

And considering that in the scene it cut to right after with current-day Mac in his bathroom, he'd clearly only just finished shaving, and he was fully dressed, I think a certain routine preference can be deduced. I don't think the fact that he wasn't wearing only a towel had anything to do with Mac not wanting "to be caught in bed with his wife, or someone didn't want to suggest the possibility that they actually could have been intimate in the relationship." (Particularly the latter considering how s3 started :p) The tank could have been what he wore under his dress shirt, and the pajamas could have been because he'd already showered, eaten, and was simply procrastinating the rest :lol: I dunno, it didn't seem in the least bit contrived to me.

12. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

That was the best season premier in years.Definitely an A+!!
    I loved all the flashbacks focusing on the characters' moments during the day.Especially Mac's were amazing.Mac's scenes with the man that lost his son were touching too...
    The case was alright but I accepted that it wasn't the main focus of the episode so it made it easier to accept the lack of forensics...
    Really looking forward to the next episodes as I'm waiting to see how Mac returns in the crime lab.

13. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

With a brass band and fireworks shooting out of his ass, like as not.

14. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Was that really necessary? I get you don't like his character for whatever reason, but there's no need to go out of your way to be vitriolic about him and Gary. I can't stand Horatio or David Caruso, so I stay away from talking about them because I know there are a lot of people who (for whatever reason unbeknownst to me) do like him. Each to their own. I don't go pointlessly insulting Horatio/Caruso just because I can't stand either. I don't like either Lindsey or Hawkes on NY either. But when I bring up that I don't, it's in context with an explained reason and not just straight-up bashing their characters or the actors.

Sorry, I'm just tired of people who seem to take every opportunity to slam characters and the people who play them just because they don't like them. Jo/Sela... Mac/Gary... and even though I don't like them myself, Lindsey/Anna and Sheldon/Hill. Like I said, there's a way to discuss the cons and reasons for dislike without simply slamming them without explanation at every opportunity given. That sort of thing drives me nuts, even if I might agree with the 'dislike'.

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Well said Jade! I agree!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011