Grade 'Hung Out to Dry'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 11, 2006.

1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

Hung Out to Dry was a major improvement from last week...i think its the best one this season. Lindsay wasn't annoying in this one, plenty of Flack and Danny...not to mention Hammerbeck...i love that guy!!!! i also liked at the end, when they said the guy had escaped...is he still going to come after Hawkes? that would be interesting to see...we need to see more of Hawkes :)

overall, yeah, A++++ :)

:lol:

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A

What an episode! This is what I tune in for! A great case, a great bad guy who had a believable motive, and exciting twists and clues! Furlong was great--I loved, loved, loved the fact that Shane wasn't a bland "I'm so evil" serial killer. He had a reason behind the killings. What he did still makes him evil, but there's depth there, and that's refreshing.

I thought the characters were great this week. No soapy storylines, thank goodness--just genuine teamwork. It was fun to see them work together to put the clues together.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending, where Lindsay rushed in to tell Mac and Stella Shane escaped. It felt rushed and tacked on--we should have seen the escape, or Danny or Flack should have come from the scene to say he'd gotten away.

Is Hawkes in danger now???

Apparently Edward Furlong is coming back to do more episodes, so I'm really curious about what's going to happen!

This cracked me up to no end. :lol: :D I have to say, when she kept gawking at the crime scenes, I was like, wasn't this the girl who insisted that she'd seen bloody crime scenes before? There's no continuity with this character and she's a real weak spot in the show, but when she's put in the background like she was in this episode, it's much, much better.

Yeah, it's TV. If one is looking for accuracy, this probably isn't the best place, especially when it comes to wardrobe. Sex sells. Why else would Danny be in tight t-shirts all the time? At least it works both ways in this franchise. I agree that Stella and Calleigh's style wouldn't work for Lindsay, so that's why we see her in more conservative clothes.

I caught that, too, and was surprised by how blatant it was! Danny kind of walked around Flack and even though Mac and Stella had just made a huge find, Flack's eyes followed Danny. :devil: I love how Flack's focus never wavers. ;)

That was my favorite moment in the episode. It was great to see Danny bring up Louie and extend some sympathy to Shane. As ever, Danny is the show's heart, and his speech added depth to the scene. A lesser writer might have included a simple one-liner about how Shane took revenge too far.

I love how Flack sat back and just watched Danny and Shane. Flack would never get that personal with a perp--that's just not who he is. But Danny is different, and I got the sense that Flack really appreciates and admires that.

Fantastic episode!

3. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

Weren't they all kind of like, "eww", because to me they all seemed pretty grossed out about it. And who knows if any of them were even gawking because it was gross, or more of who in their right mind would commit a crime this crazy? It's hard to say what they're thinking if they don't say anything. Just my opinion though..

4. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

^They were all pretty grossed out by it, but Lindsay made a point of emphasizing that she had been around bloody crime scenes before. A continuity error on the writers' parts, definitely!

5. Cass

Cass Police Officer

A+
    I really liked this episode. The case was good and I always like mythology so it was a plus.
    The Danny/Flack scenes were really good too.

6. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

A+. everyone's basically said what i thought, so i'll leave it at that.
    did anyone else like the actor who played shane? he was funny with mac and danny in his dorm room, weirdly evil, and very convincing in the last scene. it's not often you find a person who can play all three different "characters" :lol: :devil: :( all rolled into one.

7. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I loved the episode, and as such graded it A+.

Writers and researchers did their homework with the mythology. It was convoluted to the viewer, but they got us where they wanted us in the end. There was predictability in who did it, but certainly not why. The fun, if I may call it fun, was figuring out the puzzle.

Flack's lines, from "came up here to do the nasty and instead they found the nasty" to the very end were absolutely hilarious but right on the money. He was grumpy in the beginning, but to me he sounded like he had a cold or something.

I liked the way all the characters were portrayed, even Lindsay. Honestly, if I were a real-life CSI or detective and had seen hundreds of bloody and violent crime scenes, I'd have to say that a scene like that would probably make me retch. Every LEO has a scene that haunts them, even if they've been on the job for years.

Edward Furlong: perfect casting!

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Finally got around to watching the episode from start to finish without the chat room to distract me. :p

Still loved it! :D Definitely an A+ this week, much better than last week. The bodies were very gross, and very convincing. My mother and I spent five minutes trying to figure out how they did the headless corpse at the beginning and made it look so real. ;)

The characters were great this week, everyone had something to contribute. Flack was spot on, as everyone has already said. I adore that man. :lol:

Danny's facial expressions kill me sometimes. The screencaps from where they were talking to the guy with the shirts are hilarious. :lol:

Did my ears deceive me, or did Hammerback say he got drunk off his ass after his first divorce? :eek: How many times has our favorite creepy coroner been married then? :lol:

When they went to see the head under the rock, I had to giggle at the meter-maid mobile in the background. I believe I joked when the promos came out that it was Flack's new ride. *giggles at self* [/lameness] :lol:

I was starting to think Mac was channeling Reid from Criminal Minds when he was picking out words and everything in that one scene. :lol:

The Danny/Flack stuff was great, as everyone has already said. I mean, I'm going to love it anyway being a shipper, but even non-shippers had to love it. ;) That chase scene was hawt, and the scene in the car was great. I mean, we know Flack's the one who always drives ( ;) ), but that scene was played out beautifully. Danny and Shane were both looking out the windows, clearly lost in their own thoughts, and Flack was his usual calm and quiet self. I don't know if someone has already mentioned this (several threads on two different message boards are getting mixed up in my head :lol:), but I think Danny feels more comfortable talking about Louie around Don than he would around another member of the team. Maybe because Danny knows that Don won't push him to talk about how he's feeling, etc--he's just there for him. A great scene, definitely. :)

I had my doubts about Ed Furlong playing Shane, but that didn't last. As people have already said, he did a fantastic job of portraying this character who you can sympathize with but still want off the streets.

One of my main nitpicks with the episode was the abrupt ending. Danny and Flack hand Shane off to the cops, and then suddenly Lindsay is telling Mac and Stella that Shane escaped. How did he escape? When?

I wonder if they are going to immediately continue the storyline, or if they're planning on skipping some time and not even mentioning Shane again until they need to for the show? I'm sure we'll see more of Hawkes in danger, but you know he'll be ok in the end. ;) Several people have wondered if Danny or Flack will be targeted, but I'm not convinced. I mean, they showed a close-up of Danny giving his card to Shane, so that might be significant, but I'm not sure...In the end, I think it might be Danny who really throws himself into the task of finding out whether Shane's brother was guilty or not, and I could see him being the one to convince Shane to turn himself in or something...but I really don't think Shane will make it through the story arc alive (this is just speculation, of course, not spoilers). :(

Anyway, definitely an A+, and if the writers continue to crank out episodes like this, they could renew my faith in the series. :D With intriguing storylines, complex killers, evidence that challenges the CSIs and the viewers to put on their thinking caps, tight plots...that's definitely the CSI:NY I want to see. :D

9. Top41

They were a bit, but she just had that same shocked expression on for both bodies. It would have been much more interesting to see her not phased by the scene, and more in line with what she said in "Manhattan Manhunt." It's a lack of continuity with her character and it stands out more because the continuity is so strong with the other characters.

Flack was grossed out, too, but he's often made comments like that--he's supposed to be a counterpoint to the CSIs--and hell, a fat guy in underwear sketched him out. :lol:

10. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Yeah, but who wasn't sketched out by the fat guy in the underwear? :lol:

11. Top41

^Fair enough! :lol: Flack did speak for the rest of us as well, didn't he? :lol: I love Flack. :D

12. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

Finally saw it .,..A+. AWESOME episode. I wanted it movie-length, in fact. What a difference to last week. The writers did an excellent job ... never thought I'd feel bad for a psychopathic serial killer.

Everyone else has already pointed out the good stuff so I'm not going to rehash it. Apart from ... I'm not a shipper but I adore Danny & Flack working together, and I love the reaction EVERYONE has to Sid :D

My one gripe is the ending ... very abrupt.

I can't wait for this arc to be followed up!

13. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

No problem. With posting on two message boards and being in a live chat during the show, I get them all confused. :rolleyes: I think most of the mentioning of that scene was in the live chat. Y

Yeah, it was a very cool moment between them and a great screencap. :p :D

14. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

Voted A

Finally saw it last night (twice). And I really thought it was a great episode for all the reasons already mentioned by everyone here.

You could really tell that a lot of attention was paid to all the details.

The writers did a great job on the one liners and the dialogues (especially in contrast to last week :( ) and the use of the Greek mythology was wonderful.

The scenes were gore but looked realistic. *wonders why they always have to shock me by putting things in eye balls/sockets - hate it when that happens

Even the sound department did a great job. At the beginning when those students lay down on the bed you can already hear blood dripping (love my sound system). And the songs they picked for various scenes were excellent too.

And of course a special thank you to the wardrobe people for Danny's outfit(s) :devil:

Voted A though because I'm possitive that they can do even better than this.

15. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^I don't know but I hope he's free now to date,for instance,Stella. ;)
    Sid Hammerback rocks,it's great that they give more background about his character,first that he had a daughter and now that he got divorced,more that once.
    I wish he has more screentime.

btw,it was Edward Furlong who played Shane?I didn't notice it. :eek: *Runs to watch it again*