Grade "Epilogue"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 21, 2009.

?

How would you grade Epilogue?

1. A+

27 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. B+

14 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. B

14 vote(s)
    11.2%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The situation with Danny is where, to me, the time frame they're talking about makes a difference in how much empathy/sympathy Danny gets from me. It's only been a month since the shooting so I would expect Danny to be "it's all about me," and depressed and unkempt, etc. Yes, he's having a pity party, but he was a very physical guy and now he has to relearn how to do everything without the use of his legs. Yes, it happens to other people all the time and it's better than being dead, but that's rational thought from people who either haven't been emotionally and physically devistated or from people who have had time to come to terms with their emotional and physical issues.

Plus Lindsay is giving him full support and trying to be motivational at the same time. She's not indulging him in his self pity so he doesn't have all the time in the world to play the "poor me" card.

I think it's a realistic portrayal and I don't think its a blanket portrayal of people with disabilities as dirty and unkempt and depressed. It might be a blanket portrayal of people who suffer a traumatic spinal injury and find themselves suddenly disabled, but even if it is I think it's realistic.

ETA: I know I'm one of the people who mentioned Adam's smile of being "Yay! I banged Stella," but that was partially a joke. I think it's more than that to him, but I also think that Stella sleeping with him gave him more confidence in himself. He wasn't the same awkward Adam in this episode and I think the slightly older woman who by all apperances is out of his league turning to him for comfort is a big part of that and I think he also sees the potential for how good they could be together that Stella can't - right now any way.

I'm also surprised at the Stella backlash. I know women are harder on other women than they are on men, but the hate being heaped onto Stella just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I have to admit that I was far more interested in the way the characters were coping with things than I was about the case. For some reason the case just kinda fell flat. I'm not sure how I feel about Haylen, yet.

I thought there were some pretty good D/L scenes in this one. I'm hoping in the next few episodes that Flack will be focused on a little more, though.

3. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

I LOVED this episode! X D But one thing I DID NOT like, is the ending WITHOUT Flack! Why would they NOT have Don in the ending scene/scenes? : | That was a bit suckish.

Danny, oh Danny. I'm glad to see that he's not all "my life sucks etc." but have some happiness, even though he is in the chair. : D And the ending where he moved his toe! YAY DANNY!

Lindsay - I actually liked her in this episode, and I haven't liked her in a while. I hope she's staying this way! If so, this will be one of the better seasons. :]

Flack - I felt so bad for him in the beginning of the episode, and when that fugly SLUT CAME TO HIM AND FREAKIN' TOUCHED HIM!!! :scream: I'm so gonna kill her... and I feel the same about the blonde girl he was flirting with at the crime scene. :scream:
    But I like his storyline this season. (I'm talking about the version without the rebound whores in the bars) I have feeling that Flack is headed down a dangerous road. (That sounded like Castiel from Supernatural) At least I HOPE he is! I WANT FLACK DRAMA/ACTION/ANGST!! *stamps feet*
    AND HE'S SOOOOOOOOOOO NOT OKAY!!!! *goes all fan-girly*

Oh, Stella... Why take Adam when Sheldon is just waiting for you? *sigh* And Stella/Sheldon is more believeable. Or, anything BUT SMacked is good enough for me :p (sorry :/) Adam or not, I like Stella no matter what! :] She kicks ASS!

Mac - Well, he's just Mac. He is great, as always! And episodes has tendences to overuse Mac (or TPTB-Mac rape, as I call it), but it wasn't that way in this episode. (thank God. It was a lot of rape in season 5) YAY MAC!

Sheldon - SHELDONPOWER! yeaaaaaaaaah! I hope for some more Sheldon scenes later in the season. ANDDDDDDD, did anyone notice the cute way Sheldon protected Stella from the gunfire? : D YAY

Sid - SID <3 enough said.

Adam - I'd love to be your chiquita... :devil: LOL, hah. He's so funny and I think Haylen was a tiny bit mean to him with the "I want your job" thing. :eek: And I want to see Adam pimpin' Danny's wheelchair sometime soon!

Haylen - No special thoughts about her. Her voice was a bit annoying, and she was a bit mean to Adam. That's all.

I gave the episode a A+ because it was SO EXCITING! I was screaming, laughing, squealing and gasping, ALL IN ONE TIME! LOL, haha! Oh, I'm so glad CSI: NY is back!

4. FieryRed

FieryRed Rookie

Hello all!

Brand new season! I finally watched the episode without clicking the forum for more "update"!
    Anyway, I put in the first episode a B, I was not that ecstatic and thrill about it. The opening was a bit too fast for me I was liek wooooo what happened wait!! go back!!
    Mac: was as always, frantic, driven, determined to find the truth. I think though, that he was feeling guilty for what happened to Danny. Weel, obviously he was. I noticed that in the conversation he had with Stella he said ...neither threatened lives of people I cared about... why past tense?
    Stella/Adam WTF??? it won't go away of my mnd... Pointless, stupid and I bet it will cause problems. As I previously read in some threads if they did it once then it can easilly happen... I do really hope that it will burried and never ever being brought uo again?????
    Danny & Lindsay brought up some warm feelings. I liked them both too bad Danny is so fragile..And was it just me or I felt Lindsay a bit alone?.. Specially in the scene with the baby.
    Regarding the new girl not too hot not too cold. Let's see...

In general I don't know, I did not really enjoyed the episode. Kids playing with jammed guns? it left many holles in the script if you ask me. Initally they seemed more powerfull and then in order for the episode to be rupted up they mighty gang ened up to be just some kids who got cocky... Lame if you ask me... I wanted something more.

5. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I might buy the argument that Danny was unkempt because he was depressed if he hadn't managed to be clean and tidy during his slow collapse over Reuben's death. He was clearly devastated and depressed then, yet he managed to be reasonably clean. Ergo, I can only assume his unkempt appearance is related to his disability. Now, if the writers are trying to convey that Danny can't groom himself as well because his bathroom is inaccessible, then I applaud them for thinking that far, but if so, they should've been more explicit. Had we seen Danny struggling to get into his bathtub at episode's end, it would've been a clear yet subtle explanation of why he looks so filthy. As it is, it makes it look like paralysis renders you incapable of self-care.

6. PerfectAnomaly

Eh. I don't think you can take a "one size fits all" approach to how someone handles different types of trauma. How a person responds to something that happens to someone else is going to be vastly different than how they respond to something happening to themselves. Right now he feels broken and less than what he used to be. I can totally buy that someone who feels like that wouldn't bother to keep up apperances without making the leap that "paralysis renders you incapable of self-care." It's his reaction to his change in circumstances that right now is getting in the way of his self care and that's clearly different.

7. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

Okay, about the 'Danny is/isn't gross' debate:

Personally, I liked his new look. The beard is a little extreme, but his hair longer actually looks nice.

It was mentioned in a past post I believe on the spoiler discussion thread, and La Guera touched on it briefly. I'm almost certain that Danny's apartment isn't wheelchair accessible. And even if it was, that doesn't mean that everything is, such as a sink and mirror so that he can shave. With Lindsay taking care of Lucy and him, maybe shaving and getting a haircut regularly is something they decided to let slide. So yeah, his new appearance may be connected to his disability, but not because he's depressed. It's just an after affect.

Now, about the 'Stella is a slut':

Granted, sleeping with someone to heal a hurt isn't the best way to handle it. But I don't think that's what happened. Stella said what they did was spontaneous, meaning that she didn't just walk up to Adam and say lets sleep together. Maybe it was one too many drinks, maybe it was recognition of a mutual hurt. We'll probably never find out. Point is Stella isn't the only one at fault. Yes Adam is the somewhat innocent, quirky, cute little lab tech, but there was no indication that he ever said/did anything to stop her.

I've said my piece, do with it what you will.

8. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

~sigh~ I don't think I'm properly explaining my perspective, and so I think I'm going to step away from this before emotions get in the way of my argument.

9. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Okk I gave it an A... although the fact that I missed the show so much that it boosted it up.

First off, I loved Danny's part, I think the fact that he wasnt so 'clean and tidy' added to the stress that you saw glimses of. Carmine did such a good job of the role aswel. I really liked the parts where he looked stubborn and some how only showed his helpless side to Lindsay. Which brings me to the fact that I love married Danny/Lindsay. I mean I really liked them in the beginning and then it turned strange and boring when Danny seemed to do whatever Lindsay wanted but now i relaly like them again :D. I dunno if its just me but I think Anna's worked on her acting skills this summer, because I didnt have to cringe at her Danny/Lindsay scenes.

Mac, now I do love mac, but in this episode he became absorbed in the case and it annoys me as he tells his team off when they do the same thing. However I do like the fact that the team werent being shot for vengence, I really like the fact that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hawkes, glad he was around a bit :)

Adam, soo funny as per usual, and liked the lil' twist of him and Stella. For me it sort of reminded me of a student crush getting with their teacher :lol: And I loved it when he was fighting for his job.

Stella, glad that she can still bring Mac down to the right level and remind him what he's actually fighting for. But not really enough of Stella's quirckiness for my liking.

Finally, i loved the ending clips that gave you a look at the CSI's out of working hours, I always love it it when they do this, just so we get a chance to see them out side the lab. Oh and glad there was a lil' clip of Lucy :D

10. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Not that I was completely able to get behind all the "Look at me"s either (Saying it once would've more than made his point). But in all fairness she was the one who called him specifically in the first place. Presumably because she knew he was the one who'd gotten badly injured, and (as he guessed) knew her information could stop the exact same thing - or yeah, worse - happening to someone else. I think he was trying to drive that point home to her, rather than just whining pointlessly.

He actually went to pieces in the exact same way, hygiene-wise, during the Ruben crisis - not as far gone, maybe, but he wasn't combing his hair or shaving or putting on clean shirts then either (at least, not in DOA for a Day). He was still coming to work and was able to concentrate on it. There are different ways to go through depression, and I don't think just because you let yourself go in one area it means you couldn't possibly be able to keep it together with another (let's face it, more important) area.

Yeah, I don't buy for a second that she was all optimism or that she was still on a new-mom high, and I don't think we were ever supposed to buy that. She was all optimism in front of Danny. Given that that's what he needed to see more than he needed to know about the grueling job or the effort of balancing him and Lucy, then it's not surprising. I thought the general hope was to see that attitude, as far as Lindsay's handling of the wheelchair storyline went? It can't really be unrealistic now.

No, I definitely remember your comment as being more joking :) And yeah, I can see how Stella turning to him might've actually significantly influenced that bit of extra maturity we saw in him in "Epilogue" - he just didn't seem to be as much of the younger kid anymore, Danny's little joke notwithstanding. I was referring to other comments I saw, that ran along the lines of "once Adam's done with Stella, maybe he can pass her onto Flack." Those were just...ew. Nice to know that six-years worth of knowledge about any of these characters becomes entirely obsolete in the face of who they spent one night screwing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  11. FieryRed

FieryRed Rookie

Sleeping with someone you work with perplexes things, specially when emotions are not involved and this someone is your subordinate. Stella could have slept with anyone if she had the need of confort. Was just stupid to hook her up with Adam. People tent to behave wild to feel alive, most certainly, after a near death experience but, sleeping with a coworker?... Not wise.

Ewww Ewww!! Let's not even start having these low thoughts! :)

12. PerfectAnomaly

I don't think Stella sleeping with Adam was that poor of a choice. I don't like the idea of another couple out of the core cast, but other than that I don't think it's a bad pairing or think Stella was OOC to seek comfort from Adam. It was surprising, but when I think about it makes a certain amount of sense.

Stella has had horrible taste in men in the past and I can totally see where she'd want to seek comfort from someone who is sweet and kind and even someone where she can take the lead in the relationship and Adam has definitely shown interest. I don't think Stella is using him in a malicious way, but she definitely wants/needs a certain comfort zone that Adam can provide her. I don't see them lasting, but stranger things have happened and stranger couples have ended up working long term.

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Weighing in on the Stella issue for a minute...

The biggest hurdle I see in Stella having sex with Adam is that I can't wrap my head around the idea of Stella being vulnerable enough to let that happen. Stella has always been the fiercely independent woman on her own that was always always always professional and mature when it came to office flirting and romances. She wouldn't even let Danny flirt with her!

Had she never been in a position of being shot at before I could see the vulnerability that made her turn to someone she knew for this type of situation but this is her job and she isn't a school-trained CSI. She was a cop for many years before moving to the CSI unit. She knows what that kind of experience can do to a person.

And where is her fireman friend in all of this? I can see her turning to him for assurance and comfort but a coworker, worse yet...a subordinate? Another thing: if you look closely at the bar shootout, it was Sheldon that protected her, covering her on the floor until the shooting stopped. If anything I would think it would be him she turned to because there would be that deep connection of being protected to springboard the sex from.

Maybe it was just the fun-loving carefreeness that is Adam Ross that appealed to her. He does have a way about him that is youthful and funloving that the others don't have. If she was still reeling from losing her greek professor and then going through this, maybe that appealed to her and it went from funloving to makeloving, I don't know. Its confusing and I really would like for them to delve into her head a bit and let us know the obvious...What was she THINKING!!!

15. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'd give the episode a B+. I enjoyed the season premiere, great to have the show back! :)

I haven't got time to write my full thoughts down on this one, but I liked the continuity from last season. I'm not quite sure about Flack spending his leave of absence meeting women in bars, seems a bit too soon (not to mention out of character, in my opinion) for that.

And Danny needs to get rid of the beard. Adam rocks facial hair, Danny does not. I get what they were trying to do, but I ended up hoping Lindsay would tell him to get a grip! That said, I actually felt that Danny's pessimism about his situation might be quite realistic whilst Lindsay's optimism would have annoyed me. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Danny and Lindsay in the future episodes, I was finding them quite interesting.

Adam and Stella? From the spoilers I knew it what was coming, but my husband did not. And his comments made me laugh a lot! I'm not sure how I feel about it, I wonder if that will be all we'll see of that? If so it seems entirely pointless, but at the same time I just don't see them being romantically involved. Surely the future romantic link for Adam will be Haylen? I think I'd actually be surprised if they weren't flirting some time in the not to distant future. :lol: I didn't warm to Haylen at all, but I did like her interaction with Adam. Asking him to put in a good word for her, his response was great continuity, there was no money and there were job cuts. No, he won't help you get his job! I don't think they had natural chemistry, but perhaps their future interaction will show something else.

As for Mac. I was glad and not at all surprised to find that the shooting wasn't all to do with him and people trying to hurt his team. Had that really not occurred to him in the last month? Mac, please, never change. :lol:

I can't wait for the next episode. This wasn't a bad start to the new season.