George/Nick:Texan Charm #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it doesn't have to be a cathartic breakdown. We could just get a scene of him in his living room watching a video of Warrick or looking at pics of him and Warrick and then just see him shedding some tears. a little crying never hurt anyone. :)

Actually, I think this being a "leader" stuff would go for when he's around other people, but I think it would totally be in character to have this "cathartic breakdown" in his own private time.

Also, in the extras for Season 8, they talk about (I think it was Gary) how when the writers bring something to them that they feel it not in character, they fight to have it changed. So whatever happens, I guess I would have to hope that it's what George thought was right for the character.

Regarding Nick's reaction to Warrick's death and what may or may not happen...

CSI Files: Nick was arguably Warrick's best friend, but thus far we've seen little emotional reaction from him to Warrick's death (save, obviously, for the near-shooting of the Under-sheriff). Can we expect more of a reaction from him down the road?

Rambo:A cathartic breakdown just wouldn't be Nick Stokes. He's a leader, and finds the best therapy is showing up and doing your job to your best abilities. That said, he's not made of stone. And he does not forget his fallen friend.

Remember if you comment or discuss to put it in spoiler tags. :)

Well, it doesn't have to be a cathartic breakdown. We could just get a scene of him in his living room watching a video of Warrick or looking at pics of him and Warrick and then just see him shedding some tears. a little crying never hurt anyone. :)

It will never happen.:scream:

I was watching NCIS this evening and I saw a CBS Cares commercial that had George in it. The commercial was about the effects parents fighting can have on children. I wonder how much that may have hit home for him. I remember seeing somewhere that his parents divorced when he was in his 20's. I also remember from the Monaco interview that George only started talking to his dad again about 10 years ago. Just something for us to think on :)

I was watching NCIS this evening and I saw a CBS Cares commercial that had George in it. The commercial was about the effects parents fighting can have on children. I wonder how much that may have hit home for him. I remember seeing somewhere that his parents divorced when he was in his 20's. I also remember from the Monaco interview that George only started talking to his dad again about 10 years ago. Just something for us to think on :)

Awww...thanks for alerting us! I haven't seen it on TV yet, but it's online http://www.cbs.com/cbs_cares/video/video.php?cid=823114844here.

I don't know if it was gambling or not that led to their fall out. He was probably angry at his dad for destroying the 'perfect' family they had, if in fact it was dad who initiated the divorce. I'm just speculating. Divorce is hard on kids, but I think when it comes to older children to the point of adulthood, it could be a matter of how could you do this mom? How come you put on this facade that all was well in your marriage when it wasn't?

I don't think his dad gambled, but he was a hard a** from what I've read. And maybe his dad was hard on him because he saw the drudges of society in the courtroom on a daily basis and told himself, "My son is NOT going to turn out like that."

Plus, Papa Eads was not entirely thrilled about George becoming an actor.

And some people can be passionate about an issue without having it hitting home.

I'm glad George has done some PSA work because it doesn't seem like he has done alot in terms of charity. At least not to my awareness.

I also remember, in an interview, George talking about his dad having a drinking problem. That is probably what tore up the marriage and caused a lot of fighting.

I know, first hand, the destructiveness of alcohol (I have alcoholics in my family), and George probably didn't want to deal with it. I don't blame him, I don't want to deal with it either.

But it seems he's father has gotten it together and I'm glad George made that first step to talk to his dad and they seem to be real close now.

Divorce is hard on kids, but I think when it comes to older children to the point of adulthood, it could be a matter of how could you do this mom? How come you put on this facade that all was well in your marriage when it wasn't?

I don't presume to speak for George, but as someone whose parents divorced when she was in her 20's, the emotions were about why they didn't do it sooner. I mean, marriages don't deteriorate in an instant - not my parents' anyway - so why, now that you've scarred your children (note the message of George's PSA), are you choosing to change now? A lot of what I dealt with when my parents split was feeling like we (the children) didn't matter - it was OK to fight and make things generally unpleasant, uncomfortable, etc when the kids were in the house, but now that we're all gone you think a positive change is necessary? To me, it was a clear indicator of where my parents' priorities were, and perhaps George felt the same way.

Alcohol was also a big factor in my parents' split - on both sides. My dad had quit drinking but mom was still at it, and she did not handle the divorce well. I heard so many things I shouldn't have heard, most of which were lies, and I so much hated that my mother had so little concern for both my feelings as the daughter of the man she was slandering, and for my father's privacy that I quit talking to her. So, echoing Speedy's comments, I didn't want to deal with the drunk either - couldn't, for the sake of my own well-being. I'm guessing something similar may have gone on with George and his dad.

Maybe a little bit TMI - but it's some insight. I think it's great that George did the PSA - he looks loverly and gets across an important message too. What more can a girl ask for? :D Thanks for posting, E and Smokey!

I say complete and total props to any celebrity who uses their time and talent to make a PSA on any topic, whether it hits home for them or not. They have a crazy amount of authority in the eyes of the public and I think its great that they can use it for good...and not for evil :devil:

CSI Files: Nick was arguably Warrick's best friend, but thus far we've seen little emotional reaction from him to Warrick's death (save, obviously, for the near-shooting of the Under-sheriff). Can we expect more of a reaction from him down the road?

Rambo:A cathartic breakdown just wouldn't be Nick Stokes. He's a leader, and finds the best therapy is showing up and doing your job to your best abilities. That said, he's not made of stone. And he does not forget his fallen friend.

So that's how David Rambo sees Nick as a character. To me, Nick's the type of person who wears his heart on his sleeve. So I wouldn't think that a cathartic breakdown would be too much out of character.

Actually, at this point, I'd love to see any reaction from Nick's end regarding Warrick's death. Something really genuine and screams Nick.

Divorce is hard on kids, but I think when it comes to older children to the point of adulthood, it could be a matter of how could you do this mom? How come you put on this facade that all was well in your marriage when it wasn't?

I don't presume to speak for George, but as someone whose parents divorced when she was in her 20's, the emotions were about why they didn't do it sooner. I mean, marriages don't deteriorate in an instant - not my parents' anyway - so why, now that you've scarred your children (note the message of George's PSA), are you choosing to change now? A lot of what I dealt with when my parents split was feeling like we (the children) didn't matter - it was OK to fight and make things generally unpleasant, uncomfortable, etc when the kids were in the house, but now that we're all gone you think a positive change is necessary? To me, it was a clear indicator of where my parents' priorities were, and perhaps George felt the same way.

Alcohol was also a big factor in my parents' split - on both sides. My dad had quit drinking but mom was still at it, and she did not handle the divorce well. I heard so many things I shouldn't have heard, most of which were lies, and I so much hated that my mother had so little concern for both my feelings as the daughter of the man she was slandering, and for my father's privacy that I quit talking to her. So, echoing Speedy's comments, I didn't want to deal with the drunk either - couldn't, for the sake of my own well-being. I'm guessing something similar may have gone on with George and his dad.

Maybe a little bit TMI - but it's some insight. I think it's great that George did the PSA - he looks loverly and gets across an important message too. What more can a girl ask for? :D Thanks for posting, E and Smokey!

I'm with Jacqui. I came from the same type of household, except my parents didn't drink, my brother is the alcoholic close to me.

My parents had horrible fights when I was 5-8 years old and George is right. It does scar you. My parents finally divorced when I was in my 20s too and they should've done it a lot earlier. They were separated anyways, so what was the point.

Listen to George talk about how he was estranged from his father, really show a different side of him. I know his parents were divorced, but, in all honesty, I kind of thought he came from that sorta 'picture perfect' kind of life. I thought maybe his parents split because of the pressures of his dad's job, but to see it could be anther reason. It just made me look at George in a different way. It's almost like, hey I'm just like you.

On to a more impersonal view, it's great CBS chose George to do one of their (albeit many) PSAs! It's a nice sign that they recognise him as one of the leading men-types on the show and no longer just a young turk underling to Grissom! And he looks so good too!

Thanks for the link Smokey I tried to find it but couldn't.

I say complete and total props to any celebrity who uses their time and talent to make a PSA on any topic, whether it hits home for them or not. They have a crazy amount of authority in the eyes of the public and I think its great that they can use it for good...and not for evil :devil:

Well put bookghoul :)

Last edited:
I remember in the press conferance the stunned silence of the reporters when he told the story of how his mom and he fought off a biker who had a family member tried by his father. His father was seeking the death sentence if I recall correctly.

Anyways, the part which always bothered me (because my parents were the same way) was George was just a kid and had chased this guy off with a gun and all his father could say was, "Why didn't you shoot him?"

Now parents say stupid things all the time to their kids in stressful situations. I know I do. But I always go back and tell my daughter aftwards how sorry I am. Believe me, saying sorry to your kids immediately after saying something stupid to them makes a difference later on. As my daughter always says, "But at least you said sorry mom!"

But I think the reporters' reaction was the same as mine: How could someone say something so mean to a kid?! His father should have been relieved his family was still alive.

That story always bothered me and I thought it was just me. Then I saw the stunned and seemingly sympathetic reaction of the reporters in Monaco and I realized it wasn't just me.

And I think the fact that George has told that story a few times indicates it probably still bothers him. Maybe his father apoligized later, but George still seems to be telling that story so it probably still bugs him.

However, I'm thrilled he did a another PSA. He did another for global warming too which was very funny. I hope he does more.

Celebrities do have a lot of power and it's fabulous when they do something positive with it. Look at Bono!

So that's how David Rambo sees Nick as a character. To me, Nick's the type of person who wears his heart on his sleeve. So I wouldn't think that a cathartic breakdown would be too much out of character.

Nick's not the type to break down? He cries at the drop of a hat! But I will concede that he's sucked it up a lot of times and kind of seemed to hold things in. It would be nice tho to see that all finally affect him...keeping things inside.

I saw that last night. I also saw it somewhere on the internet on Monday (not CBS.com). I've got a cap from a CBS Cares that has a blue background one with that background and several from the Global Warming psa. And for those who are interested he also did a psa for the National District Attorneys Assoc. back in 2002. (I had to go find it since I think I had originally read it on Texan Charm!:lol:)

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back