George/Nick:Texan Charm #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know.

When I hear Dr. Stokes, I think of a Mel Gibson skit on Saturday Night Live from a looong time ago when he was on. It was Dr. Mel Gibson, GYN. His waiting room was filled to the overflowing and women were making appointments weekly.:guffaw:It was a very funny skit.

Sorry I just had that thought.

Even though Nick sometimes calls Langston 'Professor' I don't see him as really caring much about titles. Christopher's school principal has a doctorate (and it can't be in teaching! :shifty:) and she will correct you if you don't give the title with her name. I don't take Nick like that.

Another thing I was thinking about with that video was when George said that Nick always wanted to please Grissom and Catherine. You always got the feeling that he never thought he was good enough for Grissom, so it fits that he always wanted to please Grissom. Catherine on the other hand, I rarely got the same feeling (Friends & Lovers is the only time I can remember). I just had the feeling that he was a better CSI with Catherine because she didn't seem to have the same disapproval of him as Grissom. Heck, Catherine is the one who pushed him to think for himself.

Susan

Even though Nick sometimes calls Langston 'Professor' I don't see him as really caring much about titles. Christopher's school principal has a doctorate (and it can't be in teaching! :shifty:) and she will correct you if you don't give the title with her name. I don't take Nick like that.

Another thing I was thinking about with that video was when George said that Nick always wanted to please Grissom and Catherine. You always got the feeling that he never thought he was good enough for Grissom, so it fits that he always wanted to please Grissom. Catherine on the other hand, I rarely got the same feeling (Friends & Lovers is the only time I can remember). I just had the feeling that he was a better CSI with Catherine because she didn't seem to have the same disapproval of him as Grissom. Heck, Catherine is the one who pushed him to think for himself.

Susan

Think the same thing... Nick was able to think for himself with Catherine. With Grissom it was the opposite when he wanted to do things on his own, with his own thinking, Grissom always pushed him back down...

So how should Nick react??? Of course he would try to make things right for Grissom. But it never seemed like he did...
For example in Organ Grinder where Nick tells Grissom that no investigation for the death is worth hurting the living. Damn Grissom looked at him like he were from a different star... and there were so many other moments where I would also ask myself how I should make things right with someone like Grissom. It's no wonder that he was looking for attention and some sort of praise from Grissom...

I so agree, Catherine always encouraged Nick. Never really put him down.

This is interesting.

I remember in 'Crate N Burial' after Grissom told Nick to look for more on the tape. There was scene later with Nick and Grissom walking where Nick found the wife's voice. Nick asked Grissom how did he know there was something else there? Don't remember exactly what Grissom answered, but it was what he said afterwards that showed how much he never thought Nick had what it took.

NICK: All right. Hey, I just ... I didn't know there was more to look for, you
know?

GRISSOM: You did it. It doesn't matter how we got here. Just remember this. :scream:

Ok, so he sorta told Nick he did ok and then, bam, criticizes him. Just remember this? I mean, seriously, does he think Nick won't. :wtf:

So what other scenes, like this, irritated you?

Personally, I think Grissom was pleased by Nick, it's just that Grissom didn't want to admit it. A friend and I were actually talking about this the other day. The only reason Grissom was so tough on him is because he knew Nick could do better. And look at him now. He's Grissom's best student, and never disappointed him. As much as I hated the relationship Nick and Grissom had for the first half of the series, I think it was necessary. If Nick wasn't criticized by Grissom, then he might be different than he is now. This is just my opinion, of course.

I so agree, Catherine always encouraged Nick. Never really put him down.

This is interesting.

I remember in 'Crate N Burial' after Grissom told Nick to look for more on the tape. There was scene later with Nick and Grissom walking where Nick found the wife's voice. Nick asked Grissom how did he know there was something else there? Don't remember exactly what Grissom answered, but it was what he said afterwards that showed how much he never thought Nick had what it took.

NICK: All right. Hey, I just ... I didn't know there was more to look for, you
know?

GRISSOM: You did it. It doesn't matter how we got here. Just remember this. :scream:

Ok, so he sorta told Nick he did ok and then, bam, criticizes him. Just remember this? I mean, seriously, does he think Nick won't. :wtf:

So what other scenes, like this, irritated you?

Ohhh yeah that was one of those moments where I just wanted to throttle the bugman :scream:

There are so many more of them. But I hate those the most where he would simply give Nick "The Look" and then would simply say nothing... that really pisses me off...

For example when Nick was standing infront of that fishpond in Table Stakes. He should draw that crime scene sketch and told Grissom he wonders "how much it cost to feed all these fish"... for sure he should concentrate on his work but Grissom just had "That Look" for him, like he would just be a stupid boy.... ohhhh I so hate it when he acts like that...

Or in the same episode when he was angry at Nick for calling him out of the interogation of a suspect... damn he was so unfair to him there :brickwall: This stupid lecture of him towards Nick was so :scream:

Or this scene in I-15 Murders where Nick told Grissom in the bugman's office about that he cares about Kristy... this typical stare from Grissom which he always spares for Nick and his "stupidity" was again to just :scream:

Cath would have never been like that to Nick, there was always some sort of respect between them. And I also think that Nick didn't make his rookie-mistakes (if you even call them that) with her, always while working with Grissom. Maybe he simply felt more comfortable with her.

Ohhh yeah that was one of those moments where I just wanted to throttle the bugman :scream:

There are so many more of them. But I hate those the most where he would simply give Nick "The Look" and then would simply say nothing... that really pisses me off...

For example when Nick was standing infront of that fishpond in Table Stakes. He should draw that crime scene sketch and told Grissom he wonders "how much it cost to feed all these fish"... for sure he should concentrate on his work but Grissom just had "That Look" for him, like he would just be a stupid boy.... ohhhh I so hate it when he acts like that...

Or in the same episode when he was angry at Nick for calling him out of the interogation of a suspect... damn he was so unfair to him there :brickwall: This stupid lecture of him towards Nick was so :scream:

Or this scene in I-15 Murders where Nick told Grissom in the bugman's office about that he cares about Kristy... this typical stare from Grissom which he always spares for Nick and his "stupidity" was again to just :scream:

Well, I guess the writers needed to have a 'stupid' character. Leslie Sobell of Television Withou t Pity once described Nick Stokes as the 'Writers' Bitch'.

Then the Rage Diary started at the website. I only found out about shortly before it closed so I never got in. Basically people wrote on a thread pretending to be Nick Stokes and the premise was he had a diary and he was planning to go postal in the lab. It was quite funny actually. Sobell felt Nick couldn't possibly be such a nice guy and had to bottle that rage somewhere, plus she felt he wasn't treated properly and complimented George for having a 'good sense of humour all things considered'.

I have a feeling the writers of CSI caught wind of the diary and soon Nick's character started to evolve because they knew a large portion of the audience was ticked off. Moreover, George advocated on his characters's behalf to smarten him up. Although I wonder if the diary had something to do with it.

It was very funny thread, though. Had me in stitches.

Well, I guess the writers needed to have a 'stupid' character. Leslie Sobell of Television Withou t Pity once described Nick Stokes as the 'Writers' Bitch'.

Then the Rage Diary started at the website. I only found out about shortly before it closed so I never got in. Basically people wrote on a thread pretending to be Nick Stokes and the premise was he had a diary and he was planning to go postal in the lab. It was quite funny actually. Sobell felt Nick couldn't possibly be such a nice guy and had to bottle that rage somewhere, plus she felt he wasn't treated properly and complimented George for having a 'good sense of humour all things considered'.

I have a feeling the writers of CSI caught wind of the diary and soon Nick's character started to evolve because they knew a large portion of the audience was ticked off. Moreover, George advocated on his characters's behalf to smarten him up. Although I wonder if the diary had something to do with it.

It was very funny thread, though. Had me in stitches.

Wow I didn't know that... but I need to say that I thought so too... I mean who would be able to let it go and to get the next kick in the butt later and then still be happy-sunshine?

He really was the 'Writer's bitch' back then... he was the one with all the mistakes and the silly talk. And he was also there to let Peterson the possibility to show how Grissom trains his team. I read somewhere that Petersen liked the character of Nick Stokes because that way he was able to develope Grissoms character better...

The Rage diary, huh? That sounds pretty funny :lol: I mean who wouldn't plan to get some payback when you're always lie the ground to get kicked by others?

Yeah I was wondering why George did that without complaining... maybe he's an optimist and was hoping for better times or simply happy to be part of a successful show like CSI.

I can just remember Nick playing Darts with Grissom's head as a target... or Sara... or Hodges... :devil: :lol:

Our ever so underestimated Nick! Not just another pretty face in which to watch!! There is so much more to him that needs to be brought forward. As most of us have always known, Nick is not as.....err...bland as he seems!

I still stand by George and his performances. I mean how many actors can dig right into my heart and pull out huge water filled crocodile tears and then have me yelling at the tv when when the can of whoopa** is opened up? The actor makes is believable and real enough through acting and facial expressions. George does this. This is what makes him so dern good!!!

Just a few more cents into the well........hey.....wonder if the water is warm?:lol:

Had anyone ever heard that before, that Nick's got a doctorate? What would his doctorate be in?

It always annoyed me that Nick's "hair and fiber analysis" specialty wasn't ever developed either. I mean, Grissom's the bug man and Catherine's special power was blood spatter (Warrick had one too, I just don't remember what it was...) and they remembered those.

So what was the point of giving him all this stuff if they weren't going to go anywhere with it?

It always annoyed me that Nick's "hair and fiber analysis" specialty wasn't ever developed either. I mean, Grissom's the bug man and Catherine's special power was blood spatter (Warrick had one too, I just don't remember what it was...) and they remembered those.

So what was the point of giving him all this stuff if they weren't going to go anywhere with it?

Warrick was audio/video analysis and once Archie came into the picture was rarely in the A/V lab actually doing it. In the early seasons they all had a few episodes where they actually worked in their specialty but I guess they weren't going to be on screen much if they only worked in their specialty. Just consider it this way - Greg was always a DNA lab tech yet how many times was he doing trace instead of DNA? (I can name Who Are You & And Then There Are None withoug even looking.) I do know he got to work a little bit with hair and fibers in Turn of the Screws and Chaos Theory (and I know there are other that I just can't remember).

Susan

Well we certainly had our blink and you'll miss it Nick moment last night. I was not surprised or disappointed in the lack of Nick. We all know that George had his back surgery after the season finished shooting so maybe tptb worked around the schedule for the surgery.

I did like Nick's idea of paying for the trip out of his own pocket if he had to so he could go to Hawaii and do his bug think :) Classy of Nick in all ways. And Nick next time we see you in a diner and have a fly on your spoon you better not be eating it :lol: He'll be you friend. I liked the idea of Nick becoming the next Bugman. I think he's doing it for himself but also as a thank you to Grissom for all his work over the years. Just goes to show what a classy guy Nick is :)

I think it is sweet that Nick wants to follow in hist mentor's footsteps. Since he said he has been waiting a year, do you think Grissom suggested Nick study bugs?

I almost did miss him. :alienblush: I usually hit mute when Langston's on screen but I hadn't yet and looked up when he said "Nick". :lol: I'll have to drool over him later as the scenes in the lab are too dark for my dark TV screen.

Didn't really expect much of him either. I said (believe just before the last 4 eps started) that I'd be happy if he just made an appearance in each episode. At least he was there and they gave a reason for him leaving. He must have come to terms with all the little buggies since Bodies in Motion. :lol:

I almost think he got the surgery before they finished filming. I got the feeling from the RDH interview that George's back had gotten a lot more serious than he was letting on. I just figure that the earlier he were to get the surgery, the longer he would get for recovery, and the closer to 100% he would be when they start filming for next season.

Susan

ETA: someone on the nick_discussion livejournal (and I just blacked out on who :alienblush:) timed it as 7 minutes in for 21 seconds. And I got 12 caps out of it but I have to get them fixed up. :lol:

Last edited:
I am so not happy at the lack of Nick last night. I knew by the extended promo he wouldn't be in this episode. I'm shocked we got what we did.

Having said that, I know he needed surgery and if that surgery was successful and gets rid of the pain, or lessens to a tolerable level than the 'blink, you'll miss him' moment was worth it. I don't want George suffering.

However, I still don't have to be happy about the lack of Nick. I have this sinking feeling that he won't be in the premiere either. He's got a long and arduous healing process to go through and he could still not be up to par by mid-July. I hope so, but I'm not feeling real positive at that moment and it really doesn't have much to do with his surgery as I have no faith in tptb.

Nick going to the bug class was just a way to mention Grissom in the finale. I'm glad he's going to class though. Facing his fear head on. Good for him. I agree it is classy, but, wakeup Nick, Grissom treated you horribly and even after you were buried alive that didn't change. However, I'd be happy to keep you company in Hawaii. :thumbsup:

Oh well, the season is over and no more new Nick until the end of September. :( Hopefully, next season will show more of Nick :shifty: and have less turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back