Eric/Ryan Slash--Unresolved Tension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw some pics, and Eric's scar looks really painful. :( I don't like his short short hair, but it would be wrong if he'd had that injury and his hair hadn't been shaved. *applauds writers' commitment to continuity* Sorry. Being sarcastic. :eek:

I don't think that Ryan's injury was followed up well enough after Nailed. A more obvious scar would have been better. Especially as it started getting infected. Not that I want him to walk around with a big scar, but it seemed to disappear very quickly after having been so swollen that he couldn't open his eye.

What I'm really liking is the opportunities that Ryan has to be supportive now. He's been the junior for so long that it's good to see him being able to guide Eric a little. But not in a patronising way, I understand. And I'm imagining the care and comfort that is undoubtedly being given after hours. :D :p :devil:

I don't really know what I'm talking about today. I'll shut up and go away. :confused:

Ryan/Eric is a great pairing. It's like Nick/Greg. Man Down was horrible to watch. I couldn't bare to see Eric like that and when he finally went back to work, the scar makes me wince. But the pairing works wonders.

Welcome to the thread WriterNovelist! :)
you have an interesting nickname btw, are you writing fics? What about writing some eric/ryan fics? :D ;)
I love them...

you made a lot of good points Ali!
I remember a few Season 3 episodes where Ryan asked a lot of questions and Eric explained him a lot. It was before the tension occured.
and now everything has changed after the horrible injury.
I'm not sure if Eric wants Ryan help at first and I see some tension coming, Eric is the more experienced CSI after all.

I hope he will accept Ryan's help.

Welcome, WriterNovelist ! :D (Please do guide us to your writing if there is some. We're eager readers!) This ship is just so addictive and attractive. And this injury might have its own effect on their relationship, like Ryan's injury did. I'm eager to find out more. :eek:

But then, I understand that the next episode won't be shown for some time. :( That just seems so weird. We need to see more of this realationship now that Eric's... different.

He did show Ryan a lot of things when Ryan was new. Ryan accepted it because he needed to know stuff. I love that scene in Speed Kills where Ryan's worked out what caused the head injury, and Eric says "Good work". The look on his face... :p :lol:

Possibly, the tension started because Ryan was starting to flex his own independence, but went about it in the wrong way. :rolleyes: Sex and Taxes, the keygun thing. Eric may not have been able to accept that Ryan was catching up with him, and didn't like the change of status. Hmmm.

Now, there will be another change of relationship. Ryan will need to show him some things, but he might not like being on the receiving end of help. Even though Ryan seems to be considerate about it.

Wow, it feels like I've been away from this thread forever! :(

Welcome to the thread WriterNovelist! :D Great pics athlov, the one about the picnic basket disguised as a CSI kit made me laugh. :lol:

Possibly, the tension started because Ryan was starting to flex his own independence, but went about it in the wrong way. Sex and Taxes, the keygun thing. Eric may not have been able to accept that Ryan was catching up with him, and didn't like the change of status.

I never thought about it that way, but it does make sense. Eric didn't want Ryan to catch up to him, maybe because Ryan's been working as a CSI for, what, a few months? And Eric's been at it for a few years.

Then there's the whole shippy side of it (well, this is a shipper thread, I couldn't just ignore it. :p ). What if Eric thought that because Ryan wouldn't need help anymore, he'd work closer with Horatio or Calleigh or something. Maybe his getting angry and defensive was a way of distancing himself from Ryan so he wouldn't have to worry about getting pushed to the side or something. Does that make any sense? I feel like I'm rambling. :rolleyes:

We could never ignore the shippy side here!

Maybe Eric liked Ryan having to lean on him in the beginning, and then when he was getting more independent, got kind of jealous. Jealous of his independence and jealous of his relationship with other people? They formed a more equal relationship after Nailed, after all the tension, and I like that.

Eric was the junior to Speed, and I think that he liked having someone junior to him. I'm thinking about the hazing thing in Speed Kills now. And maybe that was when he fell for Ryan? When they had their initial senior/junior relationship. Maybe he was afraid of losing it?

I'm kicking ideas around now. Having a good ramble. Rambling is the path to fiction. :D

I love your banner, ebonymist. And your icon. I've got a new banner to use soon, but it's not as good as yours. *admires*

That does make sense, Ryan could do things in his own (we never saw him getting trained like they do Natalia now) but he did get help from Eric (on occasion)
If Eric was worried that maybe Ryan wouldn't work close with him anymore if he became independent he could start working that out on Ryan, trying to get him to be more insecure or something and go back to needing someone to hold his hand every once in a while

or maybe (being seriously paranoid now) Eric was worried that Ryan and Calleigh might hook up if they worked together long enough and to insure that that wouldn't happen he tried to discriminate Ryan in front of Calleigh, which totally back fired because Calleigh managed to stay friends with both of them and got even closer with Ryan

I'm guessing I'm really paranoid here

I persoanlly think that Eric has gotten a bit softer since he got shot. He knows that its OK to ask for help now. Ryan, loving as he is, helps him out. I don't think Calleigh will be getting in the way of this ship....

I think that Eric has secret insecurities. He hides them because they make him feel vulnerable. But being shot and having to recover from a brain injury is more than he can cope with on his own. I've probably said this before, but I really like the way that Ryan is with him. Supportive without being patronising. That's a definite indicator that Ryan really cares. If he didn't, he might get impatient or take satisfaction in Eric's need for help.

I was sorting through my pic collection, and I found this.
Eric and Ryan
Isn't it a lovely pic? Before all the S3 tension, when Eric and Ryan were still in their senior / junior relationship. Ryan seemed to soak up every little word of praise from Eric. :D

You are so right, Ali

I haven't seen any of the episodes with Eric getting shot or the one after Eric got shot yet, but from what I'm hearing Eric and Ryan's relationship hasn't been deteriorating from what's happened with Eric,

I really liked the time in Season three before all the tension and when they were still friends, sorta,
the episode where the pic is from is one of my favourite, because it's the episode where they walk in the same rythm and where they have a conversation that goes like this:

Ryan: this guy is OCD
Eric: sounds like someone I know (smirk at Ryan) so where would you hide an oxygan mask (or something like that)

I like it because of the: sounds like someone I know
I don't know why, but that sentence really says something to me, because in that point in time Eric and Ryan can't really know each other yet.... so it could be a freudian slip, like Eric really wants to get to know Ryan :p

:D A girl can dream

It sounds like flirting to me. :lol: :devil: Well, we can hope.

And Eric said "Good job" to Ryan, or something like that, when he found the canister. Ryan really liked those little bits of praise that Eric handed out in the early days. Like in Speed Kills when Eric said the same kind of thing when he'd worked out what caused the head wound. The look on his face was so cute. :eek:

That's what leads me to think that Eric liked the senior / junior relationship. Ryan soaked up every little bit of praise. That must have made them both feel good.

I must go and watch After the Fall again. Walking in rhythm - that must say something about the closeness of their relationship, or the attraction at least. :devil:

And I'm very glad that their relationship hasn't suffered from Eric's injury. In fact, it seems to be better. I'm hoping that the spoiler stuff that we've been talking about in the Ryan thread doesn't affect it badly either. :eek:

It sounds like flirting to me, too. :D I kind of miss the good old days when Ryan was a newbie and hung on Eric's every word.... Makes me wonder - would things still have turned out the way they did if Ryan hadn't taken the keygun by himself and gotten "involved" (although, I'm not sure how involved he really was) with Erica Sikes? If so, then that makes it Ryan's fault their relationship deteriorated the way it did, but we always say it was both of them. Did Eric really think of him as Speed's replacement? I mean, I know in .... *tries to remember episode title* Whacked? Was that it? I don't know. Anyway, he says something along the lines of "Speed couldn't have known" and Ryan gets defensive. But you'd think if he wanted to treat Ryan as a replacement, he would've done so from the beginning, and he didn't. He didn't start treating Ryan badly until after their relationship fell apart.

And maybe, in a way, it's a compliment that Eric thinks of Ryan as Speed's replacement? It means he recognizes that Ryan's good at what he does, or at least he will be once he stops being so cocky. *shrug* Or maybe I'm just rambling and not making any sense at all. :lol: That's always possible.

It amazes how far they've come since S3, though. Now, Ryan knows exactly what to do to keep from getting on Eric's bad side, knows what not to say or do. He's been helping Eric with little things since he came back to work, and as long as he doesn't make it look like Eric needs the help, Eric accepts it.

And don't even get me started on what those spoilers say... :rolleyes:

^ yes, it was in 'whacked'.
Ryan also told Eric that he can never replace Speed.
I don't like this episode very much.
The tension was so thick in this episode.

I still don't know why Ryan took the keygun and run away and why he didn't wait for Eric.
maybe he just had a bad day. I don't think that he wanted to take credit for this, Horatio isn't stupid he knew who found the evidence.
Maybe Ryan got impatient and he wanted more from Eric and Eric annoyed him and he just didn't want to spend too much time with him. Eric was friendly to him, but maybe Ryan wanted his friendship (love) and Eric hadn't been ready to give him that yet. (does this make any sense? :confused:)

Your theory sounds very interesting ebonymist! :)
I never thought about the replacement term in that light.
My opinion was that for Ryan replacement isn't a compliment. For him it's always a memory that he only got the job because someone died.
*sighs* I somentimes wish that Ryan would have been introduced before Speed died.

I don't like Whacked either. (Thanks for the confirmation. :) )

Of course Horatio knows who found the keygun, I don't know why Ryan would think otherwise. It's not like Ryan is the diver or anything. :rolleyes: Nice theory, though. I can see Ryan getting impatient with him and wanting to do something to get his attention.

Yeah, I know Ryan wouldn't take the replacement thing as a compliment. He's been working very hard to establish himself as someone completely different from Speed. I wish he'd been introduced before Speed died sometimes too, but then I think that the relationship Eric and Ryan have now wouldn't be half as interesting if they didn't have to the work it the way they did.

They're both too competetive to get on easily, I think. Both ambitious, passionate, intelligent men. Sparks were always likely to fly, but, with Speed's death, Ryan's arrival was more difficult.

Eric felt the need to defend Speed because he wasn't there to defend himself. But if he had been there, then Eric might have had a dig at him himself. You know how dead people suddenly become saints. You're not allowed to say anything that's not complimentary. If Speed had still been there, then Eric might have teased him about not finding the cobalt on the axe, even though they didn't have the equipment at the time.

Although, by S5, they seem to be getting on much better. I have a pic which I really like, but I don't know what they're saying or doing. My own theory is that Ryan's trying to persuade Eric into undoing some more buttons. "Go on! You know you want to!"
4-IfLooksCouldKill2.jpg

I don't know who the woman is, but if she's a witness, then she might be a little more amenable with some more chest to look at.

(I hope the pic's not too big. Please, mods, forgive me if it is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back