Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

Just wanted to step in here to remind everyone that the thread is for discussion about reasons why we dislike the E/C romance. However, all points of view are welcome. We encourage everyone to discuss but we don't want the forum to turn into an us vs them situation

For everyone who has been following the rules, and contributing to good discussion, thank you! :)

That being said, any E/C reference in an interview is acceptable to discuss, but in the last day or so, there seems to have been a bit of borderline bashing of one of the actors:

Calling her a "fool" and "insane" is really not appropriate. And before anyone says it, I know the poster was calling the interview insane and not the actor; but as the interview was her stating her opinion, then it's basically the same thing.

I know people feel very strongly on both sides, but please remember to take a step back, and reread what you've written before posting it.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can always hit the "notify mod" button or PM speed_cochrane or me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:rolleyes:It's a fine line between being banned and being reprimanded, though I knew I was crossing the line. Mea culpas for the 'fool' comment. Rest assured, I'm not applying to the Diplomatic Corp anytime soon.

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I'm really sorry that whenever I say something which doesn't go along the line "what a beautiful interview" I have to justify myself. This time I won't do it 'cause, in all honesty, I'm a little bit tired of this trend.

I'm aware that the whole E/C is something concerning the show because it is pretty clear that part of the show, at this point, is made of it....unfortunately. I'm also aware that most of the interviews concerning the show are all about the E/C. Do you recall when Eva La Rue was asked about this romance while talking about her character? Well I thought there was nothing more disrespectful than that interview at the time. I guess I was wrong....completely wrong!

I am one of those people who used to say that Emily was joking during her interviews 'cause at the time, in all honesty, it was pretty clear she was doing that. Still people used to say she wasn't joking. I, as person, who defended her, was ok with their opinion. I tried to tell them she was just joking but I never ...and I'll repeat....never said how rude they were, I never complained about them and I'm pretty sure some of them can tell you that.

When I read this interview **ponders** yep more than 3 years later this "romance" began, I can't say she's joking anymore. She's damn serious during the interview. Those are her actual opinions on the matter. Also if that were a joke, well I would have a really hard time laughing....I'm sorry, but I will never find it funny and not just because I'm an "E/C" hater as people tend to call us (btw very respectful way to call someone :rolleyes:), but because I find it very embarassing and kind of shameful for an acotr or an actress to go on saying that he/she wants a marriage with a fictional character on Crime Drama TV show for almost 4 years. If I were her or AR I would feel embarassed to say some things like these for years knowing that I'm an actor who's just supposed to play that damn role. I'm sure that some other actors and not only on this show would have been crucifed for this...please pass me the term..."childish" behaviour.

So yep I will always say that interview was insane 'cause it was insane letting the interview be all about the E/C romance when we all know that
    1) this is CSI:Miami and not a damn soap opera
    2) when half of the fans dislike the whole E/C stuff. No matter how you want to sugar the pill, we will never digest it!
    Also, it was insane letting the leading actress of one of the leading shows of CBS promoting a romance!
    Emily is just an employ of CBS????? Well if she were that tired of the show or of CBS or TPTB, well she'd better leave the show instead of going on promoting what "CBS wants :rolleyes:"

I know she's not a moron and I would never dare to say that even if she told the most stupid things (well she already told them) and, as a person who used to support her no matter of what she did even with the whole E/C romance, I'm really disappointed in her. But I will never bash her.

Next time you want to say that people keep bashing her, please, do not come quoting one of my phrases like the one you quoted also telling me that you knew it wasn't my intention because if you really knew it wasn't my intention, you wouldn't have quoted it in that post. I'm really sorry I had to write this and I am perfectly aware this is a fine line, but I have a certain ethics when it comes to professionalism and respect towards a person even if this person has disappointed you!!!!

4. Michya

Michya Lab Technician

I wanted to post this on the spoiler thread but I think I better post it here:

Am I the only one not looking forward to 8.20? I really wonder who the writer is, I hope it isn't one of the producers because it would be a darn shame and it just shows that they are letting E/C run the show. Well, in fact they already are. I can't believe they are literally using the same premises and all (at least what I see from the promo pics). The whole thing seems very 'cut & paste'. Not to mention, SGIYC happened only just last season and this season opener we already had everyone near Eric's bed. Are tptb getting really sloppy? Worse of all the main purpose of the episode is to let everyone (now they add in a few other characters beside her deathbed) see them 'reaffirm/show' their 'love' or whatever that is called - AGAIN.

5. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree that some of us, myself included, are walking a very fine line in our reactions to Procter's interviews for that past couple of years. But I also think that she has so irrevocably associated herself and her character to the relentless promotion of E/C and changes and storylines focused only on her character in EVERY interview in every single forum available to her, that it is impossible to divorce the two.

Interviews have seen her requesting that supporters "write in" to TPTB to suport continuation of the storyline (a move copied by AR when asking his fans to "write in" and let TPTB know how they felt about his dismissal to facilitate his return) and very rarely find her talking about anything else. Changes related to her character that she has publically stated she wants in multiple interviews over the past 4 seasons have all materialized with her character taking more and more time away from other characters on the show.

This interview was different only in that she addressed Calleigh's "relationship" with Horatio, which was really out of left field since there really isn't one. It is a rare component to her interviews related to CSI Miami, that anyone/anything other than E/C, Calleigh's storyline or what she wants for the future of her character is discussed. So this interview was unique in that respect.

The other actors on the show seem to see the show as a "whole" when giving interviews - they don't focus only on their part in it but how their character relates to the others (not just Delko) and to the CSI Miami world.

These observations are not intended to bash Procter and I apologize if that is the way my comments are seen. She is singled out only because she is quite prolific in her promotions evidenced by the significant number of interviews, focused solely on her character and her storylines and no one and nothing else related to the show. It is unique to her on CSI Miami. They are perceptions and observations that have been backed up with facts.

Admittedly we need to pull back some in relaying our emotions. I've noticed a pattern within myself that I usually get a little emotional when I continuously bombarded with hopes and plans asking for more and more inclusion of a storyline I find very distasteful when it is already dominating the show. When is enough, enough?

I will certainly make a much greater effort to reign it in.

So I'll end on a positive note for a lot of us here. This is the first interview where I've actually seen it acknowledged that there is a mixed reaction the the E/C storyline among the fans. Finally there is some acknowledgment that there are fans out here who DON'T like E/C. It is my sincerest hope that kind of honesty and recognition of the feelings of the fans as a whole continues. ! :thumbsup:

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

The interviews the past 3 seasons make it very obvious that neither Calleigh nor Eric have much more to play out on this show, all they have is this romance -- and being that this is a crime show and an ensemble cast, I find it annoying & very pointless for them to even be a part of this show.

RE: These photos that indicate that others will be by Calleigh's side....I'll believe it when I see it, on air. I recall the promo pics for the premiere where they show the entire team circling Eric's bedside; that scene was never even shown.
    In all honesty, I think the only time we'd see the whole team by someone's side is if they were really going to die.
    So being that this is Calleigh in the hospital, & apparently just "near" death, again, I won't expect to see any realism with the rest of the team....they'll be detached & barely emotional, just so TPTB can gag us with e/c & thier contrived 'romance'.

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Actually mjszud,the whole team was shown circling Eric's bed. It was the very end of the episode and may have been 1.5 seconds long.If you blinked it was missed.It took longer to shoot the photo.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I must have blinked then 'cause I only remember seeing H on one side, Calleigh on the other, then they showed Frank & Alexx who looked across the room, as well as Ryan and Natalia. I guess they could've all been standing around him, but I didn't see it....I was probably too busy rolling my eyes.

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The whole scene,along with the episode itself was disappointing.

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just want to pop in here and say a few things.

Nobody said one had to love every interview/video/spoiler/response that came about. And nobody said the interview couldn't be discussed. The only thing we ask is that everyone calm down a little and take a second look at their posts before they hit 'submit' because it's inevitable that people are going to read and respond, and perhaps misconstrue the meaning of one's post because of the subject-matter.

For the record, we didn't say anyone was bashing the actress, we said it was borderline (we were also receiving complaints). Because the interview was with the actress, we thought a refresher was in order.

Also, what posters say in another forum has nothing to do with this forum. If one has a problem with a post somewhere else, please notify the mod(s) of that forum or use the NotifyMod button.

Reading back from the last few pages, this 'us vs them' stuff really needs to stop. If this thread is really going to be off-limits to a certain fan or group of people, it's not the kind of thing we want to encourage in this forum. No, you don't have to keep justifying your positions but again, it's inevitable that someone will comment on your post and yes they may disagree, regardless of their personal 'alliances' -- it's the whole idea of a message board. We don't want this forum to turn into a forest with a bunch of treehouses that say "No X-type of folks allowed".

For the most part, everyone's made an effort to remain respectful, which we really do appreciate and thank you for, but there were still a few issues that we feel needed to be addressed. If the shoe fits, the above and below are important.

For those who enter this thread and find that they get overwhelmed with what's being posted: don't read the thread if you know you can't handle it. There are a few threads/topics around the board that I just can't contribute to so I stay out of them for my sanity's sake.

FieldMouse and I are keeping close tabs on every thread and while we can't be everywhere 100% of the time, we consider ourselves fair and a little patience and cooperation is greatly appreciated. We want this forum to be a fun, inviting place for everyone and ultimately we're all here because we share a love for CSI (even if it's a bit of a love/hate relationship :p).

At this point, I'd like for everyone to continue with the topic and any further concerns can be PMed to myself or FieldMouse. Or, you can always take a gander in my profile and send me an IM anytime. Thanks. :)

Back to your regular scheduled programming.

11. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

I apologize if I had any involvement in the events! I will have to go back and check my posts. Thank you for the heads up! I'll definitely be careful with what I post from now on!!! :)
    This is true. If this romance doesn't work out, then these two characters will have nothing to fall back on. Sure Eric has his father and that story, but what does Calleigh have? Nothing! EP will probably ask to have yet another romance or to make TPTB get her back together with Eric. :rolleyes:
    Only if it was someone other than Calleigh. If she were to die, we'd only see Eric crying by her side. TPTB would never allow another character to get involved in an E/C moment. :rolleyes:
    Yeah I agree, the camera spent most of the time zooming in on Calleigh's and Horatio's reaction. I would've liked to see Natalia, because last time I checked she cared about Eric as much as Calleigh does. Well not the "in love" part but you know what I mean. At least Eric was looking at Horatio at the end and not Calleigh. I don't think I would have enjoyed another E/C scene at that particular moment.
    I'm not looking forward to this episode either Michya. Apparently, this episode is going to tell the audience the outcome of the ECR for the remainder of the series or something like that. :rolleyes: We do not need another near death scene just to show that E and C love each other. IMO this is a rip off of SGIYC. 1) There is yet another fire where Ryan is PERFECTLY FINE while Calleigh is dying on her death bed. 2) Eric is the only one tending to the dying Calleigh (or that's what we've seen so far) 3) Ryan is carrying a dead body out of the fire building like in SGIYC. To me this seems like a rip off just to ensure the audience that Eric and Calleigh still love each other. This is a not needed episode, that could have gone to another character like Natalia. When is the last time we had a story circling around another character? Hmm maybe season 5?! Not counting the H stories. Maybe if we're lucky, since the audience knows what happens to E/C we will never have to watch it again. Only if we're lucky.
    Ok I'm done ranting now xD. My apologies if I repeated anything that's already been said. :)

12. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I do remember that interview, Flo. And yes, I felt it was extremely disrespectful on the interviewer's part. But Eva handled it like the charming, positive person she is! :thumbsup:

I can attest to that about you, Flo! We started communicating because we disagreed about Procter. But never once did you treat me in a manner other than respectful and civil. I grew to find you fair-minded and always ready to hear the other side's perspective.

Caruso HAS been crucified for a lot less than this. My thanks to the moderators for stepping in the last time he was being ripped apart and to you, Flo, for standing up for him even though you are not a fan.

You have always been a strong supporter of Emily, Flo. I know that you've been disappointed with some recent events, but you showed me evidence of your committment to Procter a long time ago.

I think there are a lot of us who are still very disappointed in the continuation of this contrived little sex-romp. We were hopeful and thought we might get a break when CBS didn't renew Rodriguez - only to see those hopes dashed when Rodriguez campaigned for and then announced his return. We didn't even get one season without having to suffer through the E/C drama. Now we know we'll have to bear them gearing up big time for all E/C all the time.

The best we can hope for is that one of the other characters will find a way to shine once in a while. For me, each time Horatio, Natalia, Ryan, Frank, Jesse and Walter appear in a scene of any kind (especially without E/C) - it's a treat to be savored because I know when season 9 hits, they'll be tough to find - not to mention Rick, Valera and the other labrats (and you didn't think it could get any harder - did ya?). :(

Edit: Oops! Sorry Geni. I didn't see your post before I posted this. Back to discussing why E/C is not a favorite thing of mine!

13. slower

slower Lab Technician

My apoligies for my earlier posts. My objections came from being called a basher, it bordered on being called a hater. And those types of posts will always get my blood boiling. Again I appoligize for offending anyone.

I was looking forward to 8x20 (however out there it might be), but it appears to be a vehicle to showcase the E/C saga and show everyone how they feel about each other; like we already didn't get the hint over and over and over again. How many times do they need to hit us in the head with it? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Only in soaps do they torture the audience with the ongoing romance. I don't understand why in Miami this is happening when in LV it was subtle and in NY it didn't drag on forever. I feel for the other actors who have to endure. They are not going to say anything (of course) but you have to wonder if in the back of their minds their wishing it was just over. Miami for some people is a bit of a joke; this romance just reinforces their opinion.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I don't understand why they have to keep bombarding us with it either. It's like they think if they bury us with nothing but E/C we'll get onboard. That or they know it's not selling and they think if they keep shoving it down our throats we'll have to accept it or choke to death.

I'd rather choke. And they just look desperate when they have to try so hard to gain acceptance of something that is a hopeless trainwreck. :rolleyes:

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I'd rather choke as well. How many times does one of them have to be near death? Talk about desperate, the whole "romance" looks ridiculous. I wish TPTB would just get back to the original intent of the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.