Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't really understand why they had Eric lie about the phone call at first only to turn around a few scenes later and tell her the truth. Why couldn't he have just said at first "nothing important" or "it wasn't as important as I thought" and then later have him tell the truth. It didn't make sense to have him make something up and then turn around and tell her the truth not much later. I guess they're trying to set up the drama for the season finale, but why did they have to do it that way? :lol:

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Silentdisco -I'm not here to debate E/N, nor did I make the comment to elaborate my thoughts on that matter here in this thread. The comment was made in reference to what Future Cop had posted. All the same, I respectfully & entirely disagree with your opinion, but Im not going into it here because I would have lists a mile long to debate the subject, so Im just going to leave it as agreeing to disagree. :)

Because it's a crime show, & it's not a show where the main attraction is watching a couple be happy-go-lucky.

3. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I understand. I brought it up because it was a different way that TPTB portrayed a relationship between two characters, and one that might be interesting to compare to E/C. Personally, I thought Natalia and Eric did have chemistry, but I wasn't a fan of the relationship. If it had been longer, I might have gotten over it. But I do think TPTB did a better job introducing that relationship than they did with Eric and Calleigh. It made more logical sense for two characters to have chemistry, flirt for a while, and then one day you happen to see them have a short conversation that lets you know that they're together. No grand declarations of love in the midst of danger, which is kind of what they did with E/C. As an E/C shipper, I did enjoy the kiss, but I wish they didn't have to have a bunch of near-death experiences in order for it to happen. In my opinion, they should've been more adult about it, and instead of dancing around it, just taken a step forward and started dating quietly not long after Calleigh's kidnapping last season.

I would make further comparisons, but I can't think of anything else right now that I dislike about the E/C relationship, but liked with Eric and Natalia. And considering this is a E/C dislike thread, I don't think it's appropriate for me to mention what I didn't like about E/N, but liked about E/C. ;)

fklsdflslsjfksl - that's my frustration. I get what you're saying, and it's completely true. But would it really be so hard to let the two of them be happy for a while and have the personal crises and drama be more concentrated on the other characters? It's not impossible, that's for sure. They can fill their action-packed-crime-fighting quota with other characters. :rolleyes:

Oh and just to be clear to everyone reading this thread, old and new, yes, I am guilty of being an E/C shipper. But as much as I would prefer Calleigh and Eric as a couple than not, I don't think the way TPTB are showing this relationship is flawless. I may like the overall relationship, but there are plenty of details that I dislike. That's usually why I'm in this thread. ;)

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

In all honesty, I think the time between 'Smoke Get's in Your CSIs' & now, WAS tptb's way of letting them be happy for a while.
    What I've learned from watching this show for so many years is that they go with an arc or a certain storyline & they beat it to death, because in thier minds it's what makes sense to the viewers, & it goes along with the "in thing" of the season/s.
    It all seems to be about timing with them, so here they are with e/c & this is "the story" - it's not going to sit on the backburner with them all happy for a whole new season & then dish out the drama. By the time they hit that part of the story then some viewers would likely be out of touch with the e/c storyline, & other characters would likely have arcs to fill out the new season - so waiting to throw in e/c drama in the midst of all that would be out of place (a throw in, so to speak), & it wouldn't likely mesh with everything else going on.....do you see what Im saying?

I just see it as unnecessary, all of it. Not that I'd choose to see them skipping in the moonlight, but I don't care to be overwhelmed with the useless, & made-up drama either - especially considering it's taken up the last 2 1/2 seasons already.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I think you know it was perfectly clear to me :D, still thanks for this.

Ok I watched the last episode & I have to say very few things....well just 2

First of all, I found it pretty irrational that they want to hide their relationship to the rest of the lab, but they're still frliting at a crime scene, oh yeah in front of Micheal who's part of the lab.
    No worry, I won't even comment their "flirty discussions" :p

Eric lying to Calleigh, that was a must :lol:. I mean I have always said that she can trust him & I have always said that he's too immature for her & thanks TPTB for this moment b/c, again, I'm going to repeat that she can't trust me.
    Come on they're a couple, Eric Delko you can't lie to Calleigh Duquesne, you know that & still do it??? :brickwall:
    I don't care if he told her the truth later, all I know is that his first instict was to lie her. I don't mind if he was kinda trying to protect her from his father, he shouldn't have done it.

Calleigh shooting & hitting Delko, by mistake? I don't believe any of it unless they show me a bleeding Delko, something I'm not looking forward to :p
    Another way to add E/C drama, another thing I'm not looking forward to. :p

6. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

I hate to be a negative nancy, but oh well. And just so everyone knows, I'm not a particularly biased person, I'm trying to write this from a cinematic perspective.

I used to like the couple, but recently I have come to think of it more as a pointless underlying storyline. The secretive nature of the relationship makes it unstable, and open to drama all the time. In a way, that tension never leaves, even in episodes like WISC, where I felt it needlesly sucked up some of the seriousness of Ryan's being kidnapped and tortured.

They need to finalize it already. Make it or break it! What good is this sneaky relationship stuff if it's not going to build up to anything but continuous open ended drama? Have E/C break up so things can go back to normal, or publicize their relationship so it can BECOME the normal.
    In fact, adding rock-solid stability to the relationship and treating Eric and Cal like a married couple may do better than just chopping them apart. (break ups between co-workers = tension between co-workers) Although I'd have to hand it to the Eric/Nat arc. They bounced back quicker than I would have assumed.

Anyway,
    I really hope they're not setting us up for another ENTIRE season of bathroom scenes and flirty winks, and pointless twitterpation, Audi crashes and disappearances. They've gone halfway with the relationship, now finish it! :thumbsup:

7. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Thank you so much for posting it. You prett summed up all our thoughts in oe post ;)

Surely this finale episode didn't make me fall in love w/ the couple & I'm pretty sure that also some people who use to enjoy it, may have had some doubts on what's going on w/ this storyline.

I mean no matter how much Eric loves Calleigh, but he tends to lie to her too often to make us really think that he actually wants to protect her.
    I mean you're not protecting her if the result is Calleigh Duquesne crying :shifty:.

As for Calleigh, let's just say that it wasy way too stupid that she didn't show the pic of Sharova to H so that she could actually help during the investigation & so that Delko wouldn't have found himself in the middle of the shooting when he presumably got shot :rolleyes:

But hey this cliffhanger was shoooooocking :rolleyes:.

All I can say is that I'm going to have the most relaxing summer thanks to this nailbiting finale episode :shifty::p

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Flo, you crack me up, sweetheart :lol:

Ditto. It's completely unnecessary. Really I can't see the point yet in anything that just happened in the finale. It was one of these reactions: whatthefuckever:rolleyes:. Sorry for my potty mouth, but Im well over the age limit & if anyone can wish to see naked Miami men they they're old enough to hear & deal with my mouth. This is not directed to you, Wasabi. :)

Anyway, feeling disgusted over the finale, so bare with me please...

Imo, he didn't lie to her to protect her. He was clearly protecting his Father in this incident & he knew damn *darn* good & well that she wouldn't approve or understand what he was wanting to do to help him, & Calleigh made it clear she was ready to take in Daddy whether Eric liked it or not.
    Ya know, for someone who has such trust issues with everyone else, I can't figure out why he does it himself. This confuses me, but oh well, the guy is human, he felt pity for Daddy & ok whatever. Just know that you're no different than Ryan now buddy, & I can take whatever lies you dish out. ;)
    Not hating him, mind you, this is not me bashing Eric for what he did - I see his point, I just think it's almost humorous that they tried to build this "wonderful" relationship on trust & here it is blowing up in thier faces in a matter of just a few months.

That should've been the first step -- stay out of it & take it to Horatio! Eric would've been a conflict of interest anyway & not been able to bring in his own father or work the case once it was acknowledged that his Father was at a crime scene. TPTB are making them look worse than ever.

9. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

Potty mouth! Hah, I can handle it, Mj :thumbsup:
    I'm practically a sailor! :lol:

The finale not only left me disappointed and dying from an E/C overdose, but it also left me slightly depressed. I had hopes that Eric crossing over to the dark side would have put him in the same general area Ryan was in (from the episode WISC) and this would have given him an opportunity to deeply connect with the younger man later on...but the relationship and the hype that follows it seems to have muddled the entire fact that Eric is now an accessory to a weapons heist and has been interacting with someone who was involved in a double homicide.

Eric's committed a serious couple of offenses here, yet I can't help but think the drama surrounding the relationship has completely obscured that, and Eric will be welcomed back with open arms next season (while Ryan is told to GTFO)....A part of this is also attributed tot he fact eric is apparently injured- although, Ryan was too in WISC.

10. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Thank you. Let's say Im not proud of myself, but when Im irritated it's bound to come out, & show. :p

Yep, I agree. Just like in 'WISC', the actual point was what Ryan had to do to save Billy, & it's probably the same in this case with Eric - I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't face any consequences for breaking the law. He'll face consequences with Calleigh, & that's probably it - yippeee - more useless drama, but I do feel that was supposed to be the significance in the episode. If it was supposed to be all about him breaking the law, then he'd have been arrested in the cliffy & not left swimming with the gators.

All I know is I can't take another e/c finale, or premier or anything in between...... OVERKILL PEOPLE, OVERKILL!!! The last THREE finales have been the same - E/C drama, & Horatio facing off with the season's bad guys. Give it a rest already.

11. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

i understand and respect your thoughts on this matter, but lets not forget that TPTB did drag their flirty and tippy toeing around the subject for 7 years...so now that they are together I have a feeling and to many peoples dismay that they are going to stretch it as far and as slow as they can...maybe the writers don't even know what they want to do with the two charecters now that they are together, esp. since the other csi shows are also currently or were doing this relationship stuff...maybe they are trying to figure out how to make it "fresh?"

I do think they have dragged the secret out a little too long, why can't they just put it out in the open its not like any consequences are going to happen...seriously if Wolfe messed with an investigation that seriously and he had no repercusions i really dont think IAB is going to do anything with C/E. And I for one if IAB goes down the road of making them work seprate shifts would welcome it, maybe BoaVista would actually get in some screen time if they switched their shifts.

12. silentdisco

Even as an E/C fan, I was very disappointed with the finale. Honestly? Leaving the relationship hanging in the air like that? It's BARELY been two months since they showed us they got together. Thisshitisbananas! Sorry, I had to insert a curse there, because I'm angry too. You can say that word in PG-13 movies, and this board is supposed to be PG-13, so I think I'm safe.

I suppose the difference between me and those who don't like the relationship at all, and never have, is that I still want the two to stay together. I feel like if anything, the fact that Calleigh was so upset showed how much she cares about him. But I'm pissed that she had to be upset in the first place. Eric, you moron, you should've listened to her, not because she's your girlfriend, but because she was RIGHT. And you should've known better. That bullet fragment in your brain is no excuse this time.

I'm hoping that the more intimate details of how Eric and Calleigh deal with it next season (because I feel pretty strongly that Eric is coming back) are left to the viewer's imagination. At the end of the season premiere, I'd like to see something like one saying to the other "we need to talk", and then that's all they really show, so that there's followup, but not getting into soap opera territory. A few episodes later, one of them can make a flirty comment to the other, or something short and quick that let's us know they've worked it out and are still together, but then for the most part lay low for the season.

13. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

yeah know maybe I am a little slow or something but did anyone else notice Eric didnt act this stupid when they were dancing around each other and he always did what she told him to...now that they are dating he is acting like a guy who wont stop to ask for directions....what gives?

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

But what exactly is the point in the big mess tptb just made if it boiled down to just that? That's not keeping the show "fresh", nor the couple.
    Eric & Calleigh have had little tiffs before & in the following epi they're fine, but this incident does seem like a much bigger deal (for them anyway) - it isn't exactly a petty thing.

Personally I never saw it as been dragging out for the entire 7 years. To some's imagination, sure, but it was definitly not emphasized on in the first 5 1/2 seasons. She did just as much "harmless flirting" with Ryan, Speed, & sometimes even Horatio - can't say I really saw anything stick out when it came to her & Eric, but I'm sure the e/c shippers see it differently. ;)

Everyone seems to say how much they're taking it slow, & yes they did seem to do that in the last few seasons as far as taking thier sweetass time deciding what to do, but the fact that they force-fed them into our systems at full speed in every other episode didn't make it feel "slow". They can only stretch it out so far, imho. If tptb feel the need to continue ruining this show, the characters, & the team dynamics, all for the sake of stretching out a useless romance in a crime show, then by all means.. I'll find something else to watch.

I don't see how. Someone switching shifts wouldn't likely make more room for other character arcs, or screentime. The "switching of the shifts" WOULD be an arc of it's own, & it would be played only for a while - I highly doubt they would keep it that way considering it would completely split the team, more than they already are. :rolleyes:

Why is it so important that e/c's relationship is officially outted anyway? .....just so it can be known by the rest of the team? I really don't see why it matters. I for one don't care to see/hear the other characters "feed" off this storyline in the way they already have.

15. silentdisco

True. But I'm not really looking at what makes TPTB happy, I'm looking at what would make me happy, and what I think is least likely to piss other people off. ;)

I definitely agree with you on that. I just want to see them happy together, I don't need Eric to run through the halls of the lab bursting in song about how in love he and Calleigh are :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.