Episode # 515 "Man Down" ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

miamirocks said:
Oh, and while I'm at it - when did Ryan and Eric become so close? I mean, Ryan was all "You shot my friend!" but, hello, Eric does not like you, dude. He thinks you're a weenie. Get over it. LOL. (Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan, but seriously, he was way more upset over Eric than Eric was over Speedle. Did that make any sense?)
As you know,Ryan is a person who shows his temper easily.It's not surprised that he felt upset.I think he will treat Calleigh or Alexx or Frank in the same way,not just Eric. :p
If my coworkers or friends get hurt,I obsolutely feel sad or angry. :eek:
Some people still think Ryan doesn't get along well with Eric(not as well as Speed or Calleigh).So what? Even I just had ONE BEST friend.. :rolleyes:but they still friend and coworker :lol:
I like the way Ryan showed his feeling personally. :D

As you know,Ryan is a person who shows his temper easily.It's not surprised that he felt upset.I think he will treat Calleigh or Alexx or Frank in the same way,not just Eric.
If my coworkers or friends get hurt,I obsolutely feel sad or angry.
Some people still think Ryan doesn't get along well with Eric(not as well as Speed or Calleigh).So what? Even I just had ONE BEST friend.. but they still friend and coworker
I like the way Ryan showed his feeling personally.

i agree with you. a best friend is hard to replace. but that doesn't mean you can't be friends with someone. eric and speed were best friends, and eric and calleigh are really good friends. the reason they got/get along better than eric/ryan is because eric has known them longer. ryan and eric are friends. it doesnt matter if they're as good of friends as the other 3 were.

and on a completely different note, i must be the only one who didn't or care about the fake tear. i completely missed it the 1st time. The 2nd time, I was looking for it. I was paying attention for the fake tear. When I saw it, I personally didn't think it looked all that fake. But hey, I'm just a silly 15 year girl, I don't know much about CGI and what not

Is it just me, or did this Horartio/Clavo rivalry remind anyone else of either Det. McGarrett/Wo Fat on Hawai'i Five-0, or Lt. Mike Torello/Ray Luca from "Crime Story"? Of course, CSI: Miami isn't over now that Clavo Cruz is dead. Still it had that same kinda climactic ending as H drilled one into Clavo's gut right in front of Miami/Dade PD HQ...

Never heard of those shows Hank. :)

But we keep on hearing in the episode that Eric might not be the same, and i'm beggining to doubt myself...what if he won't be? What if Eric is like this for the rest? Don't tell me that Adam. R. wants to get off the show like Rory.

cainesugar said:
Now, I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, but over the years i bet Clavo realized H is kinda like him- he has power. And the thing he liked about H was that he took on the fight Clavo wanted to put up. That's what kep Clavo going- he wanted to show H who's boss. And he did- he forced H to hand over a million bucks. And then when he comitted suicide- it had to be H, the only guy he could compete with, to do it.
Just wanted to say up front that I love that analysis, I really do.
-------------

Overall, I didn't think this episode was as strong as the first part. YES, I am sure this opinion is at least 75% due to Natalia's markedly increased screen time. There was also more general CSI work, which despite the title of the show, is not actually what interests me about it. Back to the usual parade of suspects and showy techniques and...yeah. On to specifics. Less cool and analytical than last time.
----------------------------------
Much like the previous episode, when we open on part 2, Horatio isn't in control. But unlike with Clavo, where the lack of control was met with simmering anger, at the ER he is subdued. He isn't giving orders and he isn't demanding answers. He's waiting there, just outside the doors, quiet as any helpless family member, wavering on the edge of hope. There's an underlying sadness dragging it down, past experience having taught him what to expect. Still, when they stop working altogether, you can all but hear that last thread fragment as his head bows in resignation.

(And by the way, while they didn't linger on that shot nearly long enough, it was highly inappropriate to suddenly cut to Roger Daltrey's scream. In fact, could we possibly cut that scream entirely? It's grated on my nerves from the beginning and I hate it more every week.)

Clavo's Stupid Accomplice #1 (formerly known as Hostage Kathy): You know, it's a good thing she turned out to be involved, because I was about to chew the actress out for being absolutely terrible at portraying fear/panic. Hopefully she was trying to sound like a bad actress, since her character was not only lying through her teeth to the police, she was a very stupid woman in general. Horatio does not take kindly to people who endanger his CSI's. Oh. And if you do not want to be flayed by his glare, you probably shouldn't suggest that Eric getting shot is his fault.

Ryan is in serious need of anger management. All the same, the raw emotion surging through him when he was interrogating suspect #2, slamming photos on the table and everything... And I want to give him a hug for way he phrased this part - "Well, it's not anyone, it's a cop. He's my buddy. He's got a name, his name is Eric Delko." And when he had to be restrained from punching the security guard (a/k/a Clavo's Stupid Accomplice #2)'s face in? Good boy. I also loved how during the early montage, Ryan just sort of hanging out in the doorway, uncomfortable with getting too close but nevertheless standing guard, the worry clear in his eyes as he runs a hand over his face.

I loved Calleigh's scenes. Eric's memory loss really seemed to shake her, like she'd been praying so hard just for him to live that it never even occurred to her that he might not be okay after he woke up. It didn't even occur to me, and I've been discussing spoilers for months. The brave-little-soldier face she put on at the end of her conversation with Alexx made my lip wobble.

The Diamond Plot: You just know somewhere in heaven, Speed is throwing his hands up in disgust going "It's ALWAYS about the jewelry." And I'm sorry, but unlike last week, I couldn't bring myself to care about the case. I especially couldn't bring myself to feel any kind of outrage towards the diamond store owner. It felt very 'meh.'

Minor Annoyance:
ShannonToggle said :
And someone needs to teach Horatio first aid for gunshot victims, because that's the third time in two episodes he's stood there and stared at someone who'd just been shot, like he's expecting his intense gaze to staunch the bleeding, or something. Put pressure on the wound, H!

Exactly! At the very least, could you try not to sound so broken up and shocked when they stop breathing? That's what happens when you lose too much blood.

Horatio: "...three police officers are dead, and I have a CSI at death's door." This is the part where Horatio starts to regains control. When he gets back on the phone with Clavo and tells him even his biological father has flipped on him? He's so serene he's practically purring into the phone. Clavo's confidence is immediately wiped away. He continues to taunt that the game of cat-and-mouse is only getting started, but it's an empty threat and they both know it. He's got nowhere to go and no resources left. Though I'm sure he could have FOUND some if the writers didn't feel a need to have Horatio kill someone every week.

Which brings us to his demise, which I find extremely interesting. Horatio's anger, which was alive and well while interrogating Kathy, seems to have dissipated somewhere along the way. Despite guranteeing multiple times that he'd be more than willing to end this with Clavo dying, he didn't appear to be out looking for revenge this time. Admittedly, Clavo was a rather sniveling and pathetic figure when he walked himself up to the crime lab steps, a shadowy caricature of his former cocky self. But still, when finally fired at him, he didn't appear to relish it. He just looked...tired. Another life gone. Pity he didn't listen to Speed Cochrane:

H could have got him in the shoulder instead of killing him. There are more ways to stop people than to kill them, really.

Fnally, the ending scene. The trick is that you have to visually block out the too-shiny CGI tear (which looks like a damn crystal sliding down his face) and replace it with what a real tear would look like. Then it becomes such a powerfully sad image that you want to tear your hair out. It also helps when you have nice people like Hunter tell you that closed captioning has H adding "It'll come back to you." Yay for revealing CC! Okay. I'm goin' back to my weeping corner now.

Edit: How could I forget the most important part- except for that last little bit, no stupid camera stunts/editing tricks! HOORAY!

Hunter:

You're either too young, or you don't watch reruns of old crime dramas on Nick at Nite.

Hawai'i Five-O is a classic TV crime drama which much of CSI: Miami owes as an inspiration. Steve McGarrett, played by the impeccible Jack Lord, headed up a high level crime busting Police team answerable only to the Governor of Hawai'i himself. McGarrett's teased hair, wooden demeanor, and always wearing stylish dark suits even in the heat and sun is clearly Horatio's inspiration.

Crime Story was a 2 year long crime drama starring Dennis Farina as a Chicago Detective Capt. Turillo who was ALWAYS at odds with a local wannabe Hoodlum named Ray Luca. Luca was a punk who was constantly finding himself at odds with Capt. Turillo and was always baiting him, same as Clavo Cruz. At the end of the Series, Turillo blew away Luca in a showdown with an "Hasta La Vista"-style line, much like "Take care, Clavo" was for H in his showdown with Clavo.

I have to say that after last weeks episode this was kinda a letdown.

To those of you you who say H has no emotion, I would disagree and I think he just shows it differently. Just because he didn't break down and cry does not mean he isn't devastated by what has happened.

The "showdown" at the end was good and whatcainesugar said in the post above I think makes sense in that Clavo had nothing anymore and where was he going to go with no money. It is hard to instill fear with no resources.

Hunter:

You're either too young, or you don't watch reruns of old crime dramas on Nick at Nite.
I just don't watch old reruns of Nick. ;) I'm not made of time, and anyways, isn't that LV? I prefer Miami, even though Las Vegas is great! Sometimes i watch it, i enjoy the episodes.

To those of you you who say H has no emotion, I would disagree and I think he just shows it differently. Just because he didn't break down and cry does not mean he isn't devastated by what has happened.
Took the words out of my mouth! Thank. You!

The "showdown" at the end was good and whatcainesugar said in the post above I think makes sense in that Clavo had nothing anymore and where was he going to go with no money. It is hard to instill fear with no resources.
Yes! Like i said also, Clavo pretty much commited suicide by showing up in front of Horatio!

Nick at Nite is Nickelodeon's night time block of old TV shows. They also show a lot of those shows on TV Land as well. Those are cable TV networks, man!!! :eyeroll:

I don't have cable. Just 5 channels. Pretty much all i watch on the tv is CSI Miami, Lost, House, and Global News. Then the rest on my DVD player. :) I really don't need 200 whatever channels.

Five-0s signature line was "Book 'em Danno" lol. Out here in Chicago,it's on WWME, Me-TV. Every Fri it's the same, mom watches it and then I watch CSI Miami on A and E. I don't remember the other one though.

I just got done rewatching the eppy. It was so good I had to watch it AGAIN. Anyway the sick part of me agrees with the person who stated that Clavo probaby had some kind of crush on Horatio. He really seemed to like him. Two twisted relationships I can think of out of this show would be Horatio/Clavo and Horatio/Stetler. LOL. Yea, its twisted but people have done stranger things with pairings. Anyone with the stones to write up these pairings? I don't because my writing does not include pairings.

Anyway, I wish they would not of killed off Clavo. I would of loved to seen more eppy's with him in there. For Horatio he is like a burr under his skin. The show is much more interesting when they have a reoccuring PITA for Horatio. Now who is it gonna be?

I also wonder how they are going to handle Eric's recovery. What 'defects' are they going to give him? I did not really see him in the preview for next weeks eppy. Next weeks eppy did not seem to be as exciting.

The Good Rebecca (With a twisted part)

Also I called up the pic of the store and I am not so sure about this 'cloud formation' people are talking about. What IS it of?

I didn't know where else to put this without starting a whole new thread so:

Gonzalo Menendez (who played Clavo Cruz) was on Numb3rs Mar 30 (epi Pandora's Box). He played a bad guy (excellently of course :)) named Victor Morales. Lou Diamond Phillips, who has a recurring role as Agent Ian Edgerton, shot Morales/Menendez/Clavo through the head. I'm no fan of violence, but it was oddly satisfying to watch from a Clavo-gets-his-just-deserts-POV :devil:.

*bumpity bump*

CSI: MIAMI
Air Date: Monday, December 31, 2007
Time Slot: 10:00 PM-11:00 PM EST on CBS
Episode Title: (#515) "Man Down" (Repeat)

Part Two of a Two-Part Episode

"Man Down" - A member of the team is pronounced dead after being shot in the head, on a rebroadcast of CSI: MIAMI, Monday, Dec. 31 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Karen Gaviola directed the episode written by Ildy Modrovich. (Originally broadcast 2/12/07)

Not wanting to give up, Horatio has the CSI rushed to the hospital and watches as doctors try to bring him back. Meanwhile, the CSIs find evidence that could lead them to Clavo Cruz, the man behind Eric's shooting.

SERIES REGULARS:

Horatio Caine: David Caruso
Calleigh Duquesne: Emily Procter
Eric Delko: Adam Rodriguez
Alexx Woods: Khandi Alexander
Ryan Wolfe: Jonathan Togo
Det. Frank Tripp: Rex Linn
Natalia Boa Vista: Eva La Rue

RECURRING CAST:

Valera: Boti Bliss
Clavo Cruz: Gonzalo Menendez
General Cruz: Castula Guerra