Driving

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, May 10, 2007.

1. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I'm paying 1.12 €/liter right now. Id depends the kind of gas you use (I have Super 95).

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Here average price for 95 is 1.32€ ...been worse. Hit 1.50 here last year. We actually have gas price thread somewhere so let's talk here about what was said in the first post

I simply love driving and I drive a lot. Mostly drive our Honda CR-V (2.2 turbodiesel) and now and then our old diesel Mercedes Benz 200 :lol: Nice car when you are not in a hurry :lol: The thingy that shows kms driven is bit over a million :rolleyes: And engine never changed.

Our Honda is wonderful car to drive. Doesn't take long to get ahead of someone :p I've had my license soon 5 yrs :D

Can't have own car at the moment - too expensive :p

As for driving license. You need to be 18. You can go to driving school max 6 months before you turn 18. Your parents can get teaching permit, but erm...they often have difficulties to pass the test to get permit :p

If I remember right, we have 30h theory and 20h driving, where certain amount is driving in the city and other part in bigger roads. Once we also go test/learn driving on the slippery road (The best thing ever! It's soooo great!) and then extra [well it's part of the 1st part] "driving during the darkness" - They cannot have that class during the summer because erm... it's not dark :p It's fun usually, we do all kinds of test. Hit that dark doll and stuff :p

Then when you get license, it's valid for max 2 years. During those 2 yrs, you have to go to 2nd part (you need to have your license at least for 6 months before you can go there) where is theoryclass and then we test how economic our driving is and then again to the slippery road, but this time with our own cars (yay!) Once you've finished that and you've had your temp license for 18 months, you can have your permanent license, which is valid until you turn 70 :D :D

Oh the driving test! First, when you've done with all your theoryclasses, you take theory test. First you get 10 questions, time 30 secs and choose A B or C. There can be picture of the road and three different possibilities to pick a route and you have to pick the right one (usually two are against the rules) or questions about car insurance and stuff. Max incorrect answers: 3
    Then you get 10x5 questions, answer "right/wrong", time 10 secs. First you see question, e.g. "You can turn left" and [when you are ready] then you see a picture [it's taken in normal traffic] and you have to choose [you have time to read the question well :) ] MAx incorrect answers:8

Once you've passed that, you get the driving part. Some lovely instructor comes to your car and you have 25mins driving in the city. There is three possible "themes": Crossroads, highways or lanes. I got crossroads :D [highways are the easiest] It just means those are checked more carefully but you still have to drive in all sections.

I passed both right away :D Theorytest incorrect 1 and 3 and erm... driving part. I knew my own mistakes and did one annoying and stupid kinda mistake and I was just swearing while driving :p But got ma license :D
    Yay!

3. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

^ Holy nuts, Ducky you have to go through an awful lot to get your liscence. I really hope your drivers are better than the average driver because of that. :lol:

For mine, I didn't do my driver's training (too lazy :p) which is 20h in class along with driving out on the road with an instructor. Instead, I decided to do the test even though the insurance is a tad higher because of it.

We're allowed 80 points off (Each point is a mistake) and the test only takes about 20-30 minutes, excluding an in-class test. They give those during driver's training, lol.

I only recieved 5 points off because I didn't know how to hill park. :rolleyes: Then again, I should have read the book. I aced the parallel parking! Although I was stuck at a stop sign for ten minutes and thought it was my fault. :lol: All the lady could hear coming from my mouth was "UGH" every time a car passed, lol.

I passed and got my GDL (Graduated Driver's Liscence) even though it took me a half hour to figure out if I'd actually passed. :lol: I kept asking my dad "Are you sure I passed? Are you sure?" I think we do have liscences here where two years after you get it, there's another one that comes in the mail which is permanent but I have the permanent one -- Only catch is I can't teach someone with a learner's for a year.

I'm the only one out of three sisters who has their liscence. :D

I really miss the car I did my driver's test in though. We have two Chevy Avalanches now, which I hear is pretty intimidating on the road, lol. I'm just glad they're safe because there are so many idiots out there who should not have their liscence.

4. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Like a month ago my mom and I were driving back to our house and I made a joke saying I wanted to drive, so she was like sure! And I was like (...) I'm kidding... But she said it was fine so we went into an empty parking lot and I drove like 5 feet. :D :lol: That's my driving experience. I'm underage, by the way. :p

5. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I can't drive anymore. Well, I've yet to get my license. I've been driving on my permit. But I actually got into a collision with my garage wall. It wasn't major, but I did blow out a tail light. My mom flipped out and now I can't get my license til November.

6. Ducky

:p Actually there was some talk few months ago that somewhere kids get license too easily. But... it's gotten sad with the traffic. In June 45 died on the road... it's more than one per day and it's damn lot in this country :( :(
    They say with kids it's the new "reckless driving" culture. It was horrible when that 19-yr-old guy had ran over a policeman while escaping from the police 190km/h... There was big story on channel MTV3's 9pm news and after that came Monday Night movie... The Fast and Furious :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    And some dude in last spring put vid on YouTube where he was driving some 190km/h [his friend taped that with cell phone] and cops saw it, found the guy and he got punished :p :lol: Good for him.

Anyways. During the time you have your temp license, if you get 2 tickets (I think can be also parking tickets, not sure...or just speeding) you have to take the driving test again - usually just driving part. For worse (like if you hit 120+ km/h in 60km/h area or so) you usually need to get few classes and written+driving test and then your "trial perioid" starts over again.

On yeah... the written+driving test costs (or did at least when I had that) 50€ and if you fail... don't remember how much was the 2nd time (or 3rd :p ) And when you get your actual license, it costs 26€ (perhaps more now).

It's a lovely driving license... you can travel with it in most of EU countries (no need for passport). And I think it's nice that for next 48 yrs - I don't have to do the driving test :p :lol:

7. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

when i got my license 3 years ago you only had to have your permit for 6 months and then take the driving test. the license was about $12 i think. last year they passed a law in kentucky that you have to keep your permit for a year. this was a good change and probably one that should have gone into effect a long time ago if not an even stricter one. the amount of teens that get killed in accidents is completely rediculous. i probably had no right getting my license when i did and i'm lucky i didn't get killed because i was a horrible driver, very reckless. but i've gotten a lot better. i worry about my younger brother who just turned 16 and is going to get his permit. if he's anything like me, and i know he is, he'll abuse the privilege of driving the first chance he gets.

8. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Here you have to study on your own for the theory exam. Drivers school takes up on a avarage 32 hours... Which costs 32 euro's in my days (an hour) Examns are 86 euro's each one you take I thought and then some for the theory exam. Can't remember how much that was! I am glad people don't hand out drivers permits at age 16 for 12 bucks here! I mean it is expensive here but I do think that 90% of the people that are going to use the car and get some insight on the traffic after a while can drive pretty good. You really are making some effert here in learning. Each lesson is so expensive that you take them with care and you really don;t pass those tests that easy! ALso you have to be 18 here so you can actually be really responsible for the decisions you make in the traffic.

But I thought that only Germany was listed above us in better driving! Rules are strict here! But guess so many people at a small space makes it that way. traffic is always busy in most of the country. I actually have a Belgium friend that said it would be pretty hard for him to drive in a big city while it is a normal thing for me. I won't mind.

I love driving! Got a 14 your old Suzuki Swift 1.3 Turbo. I usually drive to fast.. like 20km an hour to fast. Got one ticket so far and I have never had any accidents even how small...

For the reckless driving. I always ask people if they are comfortable with my driving and they always say that I drive like a guy.. (since everybody always says that woman/girls can;t drive) I never get comments about my driving and I always have a car filled with people even if they can go to their destination with somebody else or public transport.. So I guess I'm an okay driver.

What I do notice is that in Rush Hour it is so busy but everybody is speeding and such and you never see any accidents... Or almost never see people making absurt movements (I usually drive in rush hour only) But then when those few drives at normal day time hours bug me. People never even reach near the speed limit which is good on one way because they do make ubsurt moves on the road which are very dangerous. On the other hand at those times people stay on the left to long and with their driving far underneath the limit they kinda hold everything up.

9. Ducky

I also drive like a guy :lol: Driving school was fun, inspector was laughing so hard to my comments that were directed at other drivers :lol: "Goddamn woman in Volvo! Are you turning to right or not!?"

I absolutley hate that. Like highway..let's say it's 100km/h and right lane cars are going 90-95km/h and then some friggin idiot drives on the left lane SAME SPEED than ones on the right! :rolleyes:

10. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

You're lucky you had a nice teacher, then. My driving school lessons went something like this:

Teacher: Are you a bus?
    Me: Uhm.. no...
    Teacher: ARE YOU A BUS?!??
    Me: No.. :(
    Teacher: THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU STANDING HERE FOR???
    Oh yeah, driving school was a lot fun for me.. :rolleyes:

11. Ducky

I swear that teacher had the best nerves ever. He ever yelled, he was funny as hell. Sometimes you just had to pull over because you were laughing so hard! And he never swore (he is part of one religious group) and was just amazing guy.

12. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I had a great teacher too. He yelled at me just one time.. It was when I really almost drove into a pedestrian :rolleyes: .. But we both kinda got scared the crap out of our selves. But other than that always long nice conversations, music on etc. A lot of laughing as well. And a very patient man. I am a very nervous person. That much that I could qualify for special exams... But never want that. just want to pass tests like evryone else... But he always talked my through it nicely trough the special stuff and all so really a great instructor!

13. AshleyFirst223

I'm about to start my Driving class. In exactly one week, Ugh. I hate when people teach me how to do things I already know. I hear my teacher's nice though, so we'll see :)

14. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

I drive what I believe is a 2003 John Deere lawnmower tractor. :D Yeah, I don't have my license yet or my own car, for that matter. However I am quite happy on my bike.

15. AshleyFirst223

My car is a piece of junk. I bought this little beater car. It's seriously a hunk of junk. It runs when it feels like it. Sometimes I get really mad about it. But I love my baby. I can't see getting a new car :(