Doctor Who!

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Guest, Apr 15, 2006.

1. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

So I know this thread hasn't seen much action in a while but this show is too good to forget aout. I'm a new DW fan, haven't seen nearly as many episodes as I'd like but I fell fast in love with it after getting the chance to watch a marathon on BBCAmerica (my new favorite station). Anyway, it's great! I only wish I'd been watching from the start (yes--before I was born.)

My biggest Q though: Will the new DW be as amazing without Tennant?

2. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

*squeeeee* I love Doctor Who!! I'm such a dorky fan that I carry a Sonic Screwdriver with me in my purse. :lol: Anyhow, you can probably find older/classic episodes at a local library. I know that the nearest library to me keeps a LOT of them in their video/DVD collection.

I'm not so sure about the new guy. He's sooooooo young! It seems that the Doctor gets progressively younger-looking the older he gets. Very strange! Then again, after Tom Baker, they hired a guy in his twenties (Peter Davison) to play the 5th Doctor and he was very well liked (though I take issue with the fact that he ALWAYS sounds as though he's out of breath... it's annoying).

I actually started watching while Eccleston was the Doctor. I loved that particular incarnation. He wasn't much to look at, but he seemed to have just the right amount of humor and high spirits as well as a temper and dark broodiness. Tennant was fantastic, though. I'm sure he'll still be fantastic in the few specials he has left.

I'm getting so antsy now that the Easter special is about to air! :D

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I can't wait for the Easter special :D I'm very excited to have a new episode.

I'm reserving my opinion on the new Doctor until I actually see him in an episode. Eccleston was my first doctor, but at that point Tennant had already taken over, so I knew what was coming. Tennant is definitely the one I would classify as 'my' doctor. I definitely worry that the show just won't be the same without him. Especially as we'll be getting a new companion at pretty much the same time.

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Well, I've just finished watching the new episode, "Planet of the Dead". I thought it was OK but perhaps a little slow in parts. I'm not really a fan of Michelle Ryan, and at first she was grating on me a little, but she improved by the end and I thought she was alright. I do love Lee Evans though, I though he was funny. Everyone loves the Doctor, but it was funny to hear him say it. :lol: The promo for the next episode (whenever it airs) looked good.

5. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I've just watched "Planet of the Dead" and it was like a mixture between "Mission: Impossible" and the Knight Bus from Harry Potter.:lol:
    I liked Michelle Ryan as the companion, isn't she the one who played Nimueh in "Merlin"?

6. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

She is. I enjoyed last night's episode in that it was new Who, but it didn't really grab me that much, merely ok.
    The next one looks much better :D

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

According to her page at IMDB.com, that is correct. And she played Jaime Summers in that recent Bionic Woman series remake.

8. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

Okay so I'm a bit late getting in here, but I did like Planet of the Dead okay. It wasn't a bad one, but not one that I would watch over and over again. The next one does look pretty interesting so I can't wait for that one. :D

9. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

This might be considered a spoiler for DW but i cant remember if it was already in the trailer or not... I don't think so...
    I remembering reading somewhere that John Simms and Catherin Tate are coming back for one of the specials... Do we know which yet?
    Oh and one thing if anyone knows but if the Master is coming back then should be come back regenerated? Cuz if he died in the form of John Simms he should retrun in another form but they are keeping John Simms? I mean not that i mind John Simms he's utterly brilliant but it doesnt work in the world of Doctor Who Continuety if you ask me...

10. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

So, I've just read an article about the Doctor's new companion. She's a 21-year-old Scottish actress named Karen Gillian and she looks rather nice ...

Anyway, I don't know if someone in here mentioned it but it's kind of obvious now that TPTB try to bring in a younger audience by first making the Doctor younger and now having a young(er) companion (although Rose was, what? 19?)

I just hope they will refrain from any "romantic" storyline. I preferred the relationship the Doctor had had with Donna.

What do you think?

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

love_fan, I agree with you, on all counts. I'm still waiting to hear more about this new companion, though. We don't know anything about the character yet. I have to say though, she's very pretty.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah, she played all those roles but frankly in the uk i doubt she'll ever be known as anyone other than mouthy zoe slater from eastenders :D

i wasn't sure about her as companion - on one hand it worked because she was fearless and smart but on the other she was just way too posh. rose and martha worked because they were ordinary and streetsmart. donna worked because she was the doctor's equal more than any of them - she was the only one that didn't worship him and who was rude to him or took the piss out of him. i liked that :)

i don't know what to make of the new one but judging by pictures she looks quite similar (in terms of clothes etc) to matt smith so maybe this will be a more equal thing, i hope so.

13. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

In case anyone's interested, here's a picture of the new companion... and she's a red-head.

She's 21, pretty young, but then again, Billie Piper is fairly young as well.

She reminds me of Ginny Weasley, to be honest.

14. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

^^^ It's the hair XP

I have a strange feeling that I'm not going to be a big fan of DW after David leaves and Matt joins but whats really caught me as the series progressed was how the writting got much better and the stories are much more intriguing so, it's hard to say whether I predict the next seasons to be bad because as long as the writing is still good and the acting towards it is good then well, you've got a good show... And well, Steven Moffat is now head writer [YAY] so we'll definatley have some great episodes but it's really whether or not the actors can carry it off... So, well jsut have to see

15. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

^ I'm feeling the same you are LyzabethSay. Seems like the show is shifting to a younger generation dare I say. In the series they seem to consistently stay within a certain age range, even in the old series if that is correct to say. I have a problem with shows that seem to cast younger characters because of trying to hit within a certain age group.