Doctor Who!

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Guest, Apr 15, 2006.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Actually, I may be the aberration here... I actually don't mind Torchwood, but I think all the other actors on that show are actually better at acting than John Barrowman. (OK, who was it earlier begging people not to hate her? My turn! :lol: ) I do like him, but I think he overacts sometimes. Ironically, while David Tennant is pretty over the top, it seems totally natural for the Doctor to be that way, so it doesn't feel like overacting to me.

Either way, they're both entertaining shows, but overall I prefer Doctor Who. Then again, I've been watching that since the early 80's so I may be a bit predisposed to like it better.

2. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

:lol: I just adore John Barrowman, but you're right. He does tend to overact at times. I can't help but smirk occasionally when he tries to do "fierce", but it just comes out as "pouty". (I'll see if I can find an image when I get home to show what I'm talking about.) I've wondered if maybe it's because most of his acting experience is in musical theater. I'd guess you'd have to be more ..*tries to think of word*..animated?? in that and it might carry through to his other work.

And I started watching Doctor Who back in the early 80s (maybe late 70s :rolleyes:) too. David Tennant is my favorite now, but still followed closely by Peter Davison and Tom Baker. I have just started watching some of the older Who episodes from the 60s that I never had a chance to see. All I can say is that special effects and set building have come a LONG way. :)

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I know, huh? The effects in the old days are pretty hilarious. :lol:

Yeah, my main Doctor Who days were with Tom Baker, so he'll always be my fave, but I did like Peter Davidson as well. I quite liked the first season with Christopher Eccleston, and was quite annoyed when I heard he wouldn't be carrying on, but I love David T and I think he's quickly becoming a fave. He just got a certain style to him that I really find engaging. Must be the constant mischievous look in his eyes or something. :lol:

4. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

I wasn't that impressed by Jack either after watching the first season of Torchwood but seeing him in the first season of Doctor Who made me a big fan! Can't wait to re-watch Torchwood now and watch the episodes of Doctor Who with him.

I didn't even know about Doctor Who before it was shown here so I really can't say anything about the other Doctors. Too bad that it's such a British "phenomenon" because I really like the idea.

After all this talking and thinking about DW I can't wait to watch the rest of S2! And I will try to give Rose more chances ;)

5. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

ZombieMouse, you shouldn't let that ep put you off, it was pretty dire and IMO one of the low points of the season.

6. FieldMouse

No worries! I've since seen all of the episodes. :thumbsup:

In fact, I spent a bit of my vacation time last week going back and rewatching a lot of them. One of the things that I love about this show is all the little bits of foreshadowing they throw in. It was easy to catch all the little Torchwood references in Season 2 because I had seen Torchwood before I'd seen those. But I've started rewatching Season 4, and am noticing all these little bits of things in just the first couple of episodes where Donna is told that she has something on her back, the mention of Pyrovilia, and a little Atmos sticker someone has in their car window. Makes it fun just to rewatch and look for all those little things that I wouldn't have taken much notice of the first time around.

And yesterday I had mentioned how Jack tends to look pouty when he's trying to be tough. Here's a little example of what I mean. :)

[​IMG]

7. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
  8. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Remember not to quote pictures, guys. Change the [​IMG]

9. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

That would be Bad Wolf, 12th ep of Season 1
    Android "But you were naked, where did you hide that?"
    Jack "Trust me, you don't want to know!"
    (now why they've never followed that up on Torchwood, I don't know ;-)

10. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

So, I've just finished S2 and what a great season that was!!!

Don't even know where to start. Great episodes, loved the new doctor and Rose stopped annoying me (too much) after a while ;)

Anyway, great two-parters and the finale was, OMG, Cybermen and Daleks? Complete overkill but so good. I just sat there and was all Doctor like "WHAT???" And I even cried a little at the end :(

Now, I'm excited to find out what will happen with the Runaway Bride in S3.

Since I want to re-watch S1 of Torchwood I was wondering if I should watch it parallel to S3 of Doctor Who? I know at the end of S1 Torchwood Jack vanishes because the Doctor appears. And how did he get his hand anyway? Hope S3 will anwer a lot of questions about Jack and how he got back to the 20th century.

11. FieldMouse

You don't really need to watch Torchwood S1 parellel to Doctor Who S3. It's really the 11th episode of S3 that picks up right after the Torchwood S1 finale. You might get some of your answers then. :)

12. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

Just got this on my news page.

At least we still have some more to come.

13. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the specials.

:( Sad news, but not that surprising.

14. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ive only seen a few of the episodes but loved David T in the part.

But I guess its better to stop while you're a success :)

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Sad news indeed :( But, as Elsie said, not that surprising. The rumour's been floating around for ages. And really, it was bound to happen sooner or later. That's the way this show works.