Doctor Who!

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Guest, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yeah, it was mentioned last week and then again this week. It'll get old quickly. :lol:

I enjoyed the episode, I thought Donna's reaction to being on another planet was interesting, and I like that she actually found it weird, not fun and initially sad. I felt sorry for the Ood.

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Yes, poor Ood. I liked Donna's comment about them having to be a peaceful people, because they have to trust everyone. She made a really good point.

3. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

Aww, those poor Ood! It was brave of the writer to do a story where the humans are the bad guys (yes, I know, a sci-fi staple, but this is a show watched by kids).

In an episode with a lot of brains on display, Donna showed hers by yelling "The circle must be broken!" at the red-eyed Ood, to show they weren't like the slave-driving so-called humans on the Ood-Sphere.

That line at the end, "Your song will soon be over" has led to some speculation - I think it could be a few things:

1. The obvious one - Tennant is leaving. This one has been all over TV comment pages, particularly Teletext. If that's what it means, it's not exactly subtle.

2. The Ood were actually talking to Donna. They addressed the pair of them as "Doctor-Donna", so could have been talking to either one, meaning her life is the one in danger. (I have nothing against Donna, in fact I like her, but if it was a choice between losing her or DT, I know which I'd go for.)

3. "Soon" is subjective. The Doctor and Donna are time-travellers, after all. Maybe it's soon from the Ood's point of view, meaning that while the "song" may last for some time from our point of view, it could end during a later visit to the Ood-Sphere or at least that point in the timeline.

4. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

Ooh, first in after "The Sontaran Stratagem"!

Little nit-pick: The Doctor reacts to Martha's news as if he already knew her fiance - but in the original timeline they never met as the Doctor was busy doing his Gollum impression when Martha met Tom. (I'm sure there's an explanation, just a shame they couldn't mention it in the commentary.) I'm glad it was him though, they did get on really well in "Last Of The Time Lords" and I was gutted when he died.

Did anyone notice that little line about Donna getting a paper cut when she hugged the Doctor! At least I'm not the only one who thinks he could stand to gain some weight (I keep getting the urge to pin DT down and feed him!)

And I loved that little bit where Donna told the Doctor she was going home. He launched into the full goodbye speech, then... "hold on, you're just popping home for a visit, aren't you?".

I now see why people were comparing last season's Judoon to the Sontarans. I didn't get to watch the classic series, so now I've seen them I get the connection - and Seren Bach pointed it out too: "Look Mum, it's the rhinos again!" I think she was a little disappointed it wasn't them.

Anyway, we have the obligatory cliffhanger and I really hope Donna's grandfather is OK (oh, and great that he and Donna's mum both remembered the Doctor from the Christmas specials!).

5. Dragonfly

Okay, I just saw the episode, and I've got to say it...

When grandfather was stuck in the car, why didn't anyone attempt to break the window??. It was driving me crazy while I was watching it.

Other than that, though, I really enjoyed the episode, and I look forward to the conclusion next week :)

6. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

*sigh* i feel so out of the loop. i barely watched "Partners in Crime" last week...:(

7. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe it's going to be the cliffhanger resolution - but if so, it would be very contrived and nowhere near as funny as "Go to your room!". (Remember that from The Doctor Dances?)

8. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

I missed tonight episode of Doctor Who, but i will catch it when its repeated on BBCThree.

This series has so far been really good. My highlights so far was the episode of the Ood. How sad was that???

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

The Poison Sky was better than last week's episode. And at least Donna's mother decided to break the car window with an axe to save the grandad. :lol:

I enjoyed the episode, and I think that having Martha back with the Doctor is interesting. Although near the end when Donna and Martha both surrounded the Doctor it all seemed a bit cheesy. 'Blink and you'll miss her' Rose on the screen was a surprise, I wonder where they are going with that. I don't really know any spoilers, so I don't know where that will go, but if Donna, Martha and Rose are all with the Doctor it'll be rather overkill in my opinion.

Well, it was a surprise to me that the Doctor has a daughter. Although I am now informed that it isn't exactly new information, so I'll wait and see how it goes. I guess that considering the whole 'last of the Timelords' thing (or whatever) and how he supposedly alone I just figured he didn't have children. It's pretty cool that Georgia Moffett (Peter Davison's daughter) is playing the Doctor's daughter though.

10. Dragonfly

I liked the episode as well. Ross the UNIT guy was great. It would have been nice to have him show up in a few more episodes.
    I'm also very curious about the Rose story line. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    It's not a surprise to me that the Doctor has a daughter. He mentioned once (don't remember when) that he'd been a father before. But I certainly never expected an episode about it... what with him being the only Time Lord left and all. Shouldn't she be dead? I'm not sure what to think of this episode... I guess I'll have to wait and see.

11. Seren_y_Gogledd

Seren_y_Gogledd Rookie

There were some great little references in this week's episode. Not only the "Are You My Mummy?" when the Doctor put his gas mask on, but just after the conversation with one of the Sontarans, when the Doctor got annoyed with them and changed the channel to watch Tommy Zoom. Great joke - Tommy Zoom's arch nemesis Polluto's aim is to pollute the earth so badly that he can claim it as his own, which isn't that far from the Sontarans' goal.

Aww, poor Ross! And Luke - he was an evil son-of-a-gun at first, but gave his life to save Earth. (Did anyone watch with commentary on Sunday? Interesting to hear his real accent.)

12. Dragonfly

Okay, that scene really wasn't that funny, but I couldn't stop laughing at it. My sister thought I lost it. Then again, she often thinks that about me :rolleyes:

13. luv_danny

luv_danny Prime Suspect

I loved "The Doctor's Daughter" episode. I actually cried but the alcohol I had drank didn't help but it was a good episode.

One question regarding the Doctor's family, what happened to his granddaughter, Susan? I've been led to believe she is the only family member he has left alive.

Sooo can't wait for tomorrow's episode, "The Unicorn and the Wasp", it looks good.

"In my darkest moments, when all seems lost. You are at my side."

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  14. MissKraft

MissKraft Rookie

In all honesty, I prefer the origianl "1-7" myself.

I did enjoy the movie , the 8th doctor was fantastic!

Loved the season with the 9th doctor, but this 10th one is just rubbing me the wrong way. I find him quite annoying. As "mental" as Dr. Who is, this newest guy makes him out looking like an idiot.

Though, in recent episodes, he has not been too bad. Actually bearable.

Just my two copper jackets.....

15. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

^i think what i like about the 10th Doctor is how bouncy he is. somtimes when i'm watching an episode i can't sit still! :lol:

i think David Tennant does a good job. for example, when i watch the episode "Blink" he actually convinced me not to blink. that may sound silly but he was convincing to me.;)