Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God and how do you live?

• Total voters
miss_blue said:
I believe that people who experience that strong moments (e.g God spoke to me last night, Jesus wants me to do that, i have seen Virgin Mary etc) are schizophrenics.

Interesting statement. I believe people can be in their right mind and experience something out of this realm. My mother once awoke and saw an apparition near her bed. She said it told her that it was sorry for scaring her but she was in danger. She ignored it as a dream but her husband asked her the next morning "who was that man talking last night?" A few months later she learned her husband was going to kill her and her sons on a fishing trip. Was she schizophrenic? No. Is what she experienced real? I don't know, but I'm not about to say she has some sort of mental disorder.

Are there people with mental disorders who rant and rave about God/Jesus/the toast with Mary's face in it telling them to kill someone? Definitely. It doesn't mean everyone who has a spiritual experience has some sort of psychosis/schizophrenia/dillusion. But I do understand your point. :)

Showtime said:
Religion isn't used as a way to fill in the missing gaps, it's an entirely different doctrine that CAN fit in with current theories.

Exactly.

Besides, I'm interested in astronomy/biology/physics etc. and I still believe in God and I certainly don't fill in the blanks with my belief system or dismiss what the current theories/truths are. Maybe some do, but to each their own.

Last edited:
I'll take for example the most famous one, the Big Bang theory. It's not completed, it has major holes in it, but I will not accept to fill in with religion the missing parts. It's like taking the easy way out, and giving up on researching and investigating.
Oh I agree, I don't think we should take the easy way out, that would do nothing than stop the progress of evolving the human mind. When you think about it, it's slightly...weird don't you think? We've got the Bing Bang theory, but the we've worded it (replacing the unanswered with God), it makes the whole sound more funny than anything else. We've seen evidence of the universe rapidly expanding - but why? Because God made it so.

Slightly...amusing (to me at least) - I mean no disrespect to anyone. :p

Amen! (to be in tone with the thread). Islam, Buddhism haven't changed along the centuries.
I think that may be a point too - some people dislike change, and some religions have held through the ages and have yet to bow to the pressures of the world and its modernisation. Ways of thought have changed, priorities have changed, people in general have changed, so it's a wonder that these religions are still standing today just as, or very similar to the way they were introduced.

I'm not even sure if this even has any merit, but I remember reading somewhere that the Bible was rewritten to make God sound less evil -- or something like that. Anybody know what I'm talking about? It's a weird article I came across one day, have to go and find it again.

There's some theist-phobia going on in here and I'm sick of it. Being progressive isn't shooting down other people's beliefs.
showtime, we are merely discussing the merits of both science and religion. There is no atheist-phobia here, and if there has been some kind of insult or disrespect, I'm sure it was not the intention. We're simply bringing to light our thoughts on the matter. :)

Speed_Cochrane I didn't mean to insult anyone with that statement, that is just my opinion. I was referring to the people who become obssed with it, that are making that "appearance" their entire purpose of life.

[qoute]There's some theist-phobia going on in here and I'm sick of it. Being progressive isn't shooting down other people's beliefs. [/quote]

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but can you point out where I was showing a phobia towards something? I belive that I have said that I am 100% tolerant, and each with their own beliefs and opinions, if we were all the same, life would be dull, right? I said that I believe in God, but until a certain extent. You can be atheist, you can be whatever you like, moreover, please share your religious experiences with us. I am very curious.

The fact that no Catholics came and asked the question you posed it doesn't mean that I don't have the right to express my opinion. As I have said in the beginning of the thread, I believe in God and if there is actually a God, he knows that I believe, and that is all that matters. I don't care if anyone else points at me and asks why am I not being a good Christian and go to church, I would simply reply that is none of their business.

I remain at my point, that religious experiences are intimate, and should stay private. I don't like it when people come to me and try to convince me that there is only one religion that is true.

Speed_Cochrane I didn't mean to insult anyone with that statement, that is just my opinion. I was referring to the people who become obssed with it, that are making that "appearance" their entire purpose of life.

showtime said:
There's some theist-phobia going on in here and I'm sick of it. Being progressive isn't shooting down other people's beliefs.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but can you point out where I was showing a phobia towards something? I believe that I have said that I am 100% tolerant, and each with their own beliefs and opinions, if we were all the same, life would be dull, right? I said that I believe in God, but until a certain extent. You can be atheist, you can be whatever you like, moreover, please share your religious experiences with us. I am very curious.

The fact that no Catholics came and asked the question you posed it doesn't mean that I don't have the right to express my opinion. As I have said in the beginning of the thread, I believe in God and if there is actually a God, he knows that I believe, and that is all that matters. I don't care if anyone else points at me and asks why am I not being a good Christian and go to church, I would simply reply that is none of their business.

I remain at my point, that religious experiences are intimate, and should stay private. I don't like it when people come to me and try to convince me that there is only one religion that is true.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but can you point out where I was showing a phobia towards something? I believe that I have said that I am 100% tolerant, and each with their own beliefs and opinions, if we were all the same, life would be dull, right? I said that I believe in God, but until a certain extent. You can be atheist, you can be whatever you like, moreover, please share your religious experiences with us. I am very curious.

I didn't just mean you in particular, and I do apologise that my post came off as so standoffish, but there's been a couple of posts in this thread that come off a little closeminded. Your comment on those who think they've seen apparitions of the Virgin Mary/ heard God was one of them. Bear in mind that the tone with which I read the posts is not necessarily the one that you meant for it - emotions are hard to relay online.

I'm an athiest, but not for lack of trying. I don't have the ability to put so much faith into something with so little tangible proof. However, my father's family are all Christian and my mother's family are all agnostic.

The trouble I have with theist-phobia comes from my friends. One of my best friends is Catholic, another is a Jehovah's Witness, and some of my really good friends are Islamic or Hindu or Jewish or whatever. Apparently holding the sets of beliefs that they do means that they agree with the extremist sect of their religion, and suddenly any kid that watches the news 'knows' that my Catholic friend hates gays, my Islamic friend blows shit up and my JW friend would rather die than get a blood transfusion, and thinks thats the same for anyone else.

I'm sick of the theist-phobia in general, and after hearing a load of it today pertaining to schizophrenia and religion (according to some kid I know anyone who believes in a deity of any sort must be schizophrenic), that comment you made set me off. Sorry.

I think Grissom summed up my beliefs quite well in season 2 Alter Boys

"FATHER POWELL: You don't believe?
GRISSOM: In religion? I believe in God, in science ... in Sunday supper. I
don't believe in rules that tell me how I should live."

I grew up a Christian - went to church & sunday school, basically because it is what was expected/required in my family. Plus, one of my best friends in high school was a pastor's daughter. I attended some of the events at her church because she asked me to, not because I had an interest. After it got to the point where I was done with school & didn't feel the need to go - I didn't.

For me, I think that religion in itself has become too political or as a status identifier. I guess I feel that my relationship with God is between me & Him (or sometimes I think it's Her!), so I don't feel the need to go to church and recite the same chants/order of service (the same exact thing every week) with everyone else, so others can talk about "who came to church today", or the other gossip-type stuff. When I talk to God (which isn't very often, unfortunately) - or give Him grief as it seems I do on occasion!- I'm usually by myself, and I feel the comfort of knowing that it's just between Him & me.

Another thing that bugs me - why is it when something bad happens, it's always blamed on the devil? I think God makes bad things happen too. Don't people remember Noah's Ark & the flood? God killed everyone and everything except Noah and those on the ark. I think the devil is just a convenient excuse that they came up with when God does something people perceive as "bad". I do believe that God has a plan that's filled with both good and bad things - both which teach us lessons of right and wrong.

miss_blue said:

Your statement didn't insult me at all--I simply said it was an interesting statement and voiced my opinion on the matter. Like I said above, I understood your point, however it seemed to me like a generalized statement. And the beauty of discussion is that I can disagree, it doesn't make you wrong and it doesn't make me right. Besides, what my mom experienced would be considered 'God spoke to me last night..." :lol: I understood your intent wasn't to insult anyone and I don't believe you have.

I don't know, I still think people who make 'I saw Jesus in a sandwhich' their entire purpose of life can still be sane--mislead and might need an eye exam, but sane. :lol: I think when it gets to the point where that person said the sandwhich told them to kill Oscar The Grouch, is when they might need a head exam.

Last edited:
Before I say anything I made a long-ass post that I lost because my computer is stupid. I'll try to reorganize my ideas, but my apologizes if I'm not coherent (I'm pretty pissed off right now on the damn machine).

showtime said:
I'm sick of the theist-phobia in general, and after hearing a load of it today pertaining to schizophrenia and religion (according to some kid I know anyone who believes in a deity of any sort must be schizophrenic), that comment you made set me off. Sorry.

Speed_Cochrane didn't take it personally, although there were reasons to do it. I will explain my schizofrenia comment once more: I was reffering to the people that become stalkers because they have had a vision of God telling them that they were the chosen ones to preach the one and true religion (I have met that in real life, it has followed me for many years, since the guy was living next to me).

The trouble I have with theist-phobia comes from my friends. One of my best friends is Catholic, another is a Jehovah's Witness, and some of my really good friends are Islamic or Hindu or Jewish or whatever. Apparently holding the sets of beliefs that they do means that they agree with the extremist sect of their religion, and suddenly any kid that watches the news 'knows' that my Catholic friend hates gays, my Islamic friend blows shit up and my JW friend would rather die than get a blood transfusion, and thinks thats the same for anyone else.

I understand your frustation, it's perfectly reasonable, but you should bare in mind that people are not perfect. Humans judge everything, and there is a small dose of discrimination in everyone of us, in any given form. Some are more vocal, some of them are less vocal. But that is human nature. It will not change in our lifetime, that's a shame I know. But bare in mind that not everyone catalogues the Muslims as the people who are blowing up shit, and the Jews that are cheap people. I don't.

I know how it feels to have your religion banned. Even if you are not a firm believer, or someone who goes to a church-like place (I am missing the right word there) it is disturbing and offensive.

In Romania, in the late 1700s and 1800s in the central part of Romania called Transilvania (which at that time was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire - we got it back in 1918 - the Hungarians still claim that the land is theirs - )the only accepted religion was Catholicism. Any other form of religion was not tolerated, and anyone who was caught practising other religion was exiled. The waters cooled down after we got the territory back in 1918, but the cool was disturbed by communism. In the late years of the communism in Romania (it fell on the 21st December 1989) the only, let's call it "religion" accepted was atheism. Priests were marrying people in hidden placed, they gave funeral preaches in the same way. The ones who were caught practicing any kind of religion faced a lifetime sentence (usually they killed them in a few days after going in to jail). That is intolerance in its true meaning. I know how it feels not be accepted religios-wise. Romania is a democratic country for almost 19 years, and now any religion is accepted. My mom and my grandparents told me some stories from the communism time that are movie-worthy. I think (if I remember 10th grade Geography correctly) that there still are internal conflicts and civil wars in Indonesia regarding this subject, and I am sure that in many parts of the world, that I don't know right now.

ETA:
kaylyne said:

Yes, my thoughts too :)

Last edited:
Some religions are still being practiced in the same manner it was hundreds of years ago.

sorry if i was unclear, but thats not what i meant. i wasnt referring to one religion in particular, but which ones in general that people follow. for example people dont worship zeus, athena, janus, osiris, bastet etc. anymore. they are referred to as 'mythical gods'. my point was simply if people followed these religions for thousands of years and they are now considered myth, why should i consider the christian or muslim etc interpretation of god as any more valid?

the way i see it, all of the different religions that have ever existed have a very different concept of what god is. many of them are not compatible with each other, but some could be considered different interpretations of the same idea. either the are all wrong or all but one is wrong.

sorry to keep bringing up the fsm, but this is another reason why i like pastafarianism. we have the '8 id rather you didnts' instead of '10 commandments' :lol:

It bugs me that the science was the main arguement for you not believing in God, but moving on...I don't know about Christianity but I know in Islam the importance of knowledge and understand is highly recommended..I mean if it wasn't do you think the Muslims would have been able to build all these beautful mosques and buildings you see in muslims countries?! The architecture and the calligraphy you see on some of these buildings is mind blowing.....haha okay I'll stop now but bottomline you can believe the science and still believe in God...

Science isn't the only reason i don't believe in God...i just never have, and probably never will. Even when i was as young as 6 or 7, just didn't make sense to me. I only see religion as a product of human invention. That is the most logical answer for me. I merely use science as a way to explain the natural world around us.

Islamic? I have seen people praying in public...felt bad for the guy who had to kneel on the mall floor...ick. We have a tv show in Canada, called 'Little Mosque on the Prairie' :lol: Its a really funny show, about a muslim community....very popular too.

Religious ignorant people are usually quite convinced that their religion is the right one and the only one to go with (that includes muslims, christians AND atheists). Which brings me to my next point: intolerance.

well, there are nut bars in every walk of life.

What I find interesting here, from my prospective, is that some of the people who no longer believe in God were raised Catholic. And I also can see that some of you are our future scientists :) and good for you :). But is the reason you don't believe in God anymore a failing on your churches part to not let you have an open mind.

that sounds about right, the catholic church is very good at chasing people away :lol: I think catholics are just more progressive, and the whole thing about birth control, divorce, oh and the high rate of child abuse from priests..which they do nothing about. Lets face it, religions need to update their policies a bit, sometimes i feel like we are talking huge steps backwards with human societies.

behaviour evolves just like physical traits. especially as a social species that lives in family units, there is more group selection. i once had someone ask me since i dont believe in god, what stops me from stealing and murdering people? probably the stupidest question i have ever been asked. other social animals have expected behaviour and consequences when these 'rules' are broken. we merely call them morals, ethics, or laws because we have the language to do so.

i did not abandon my faith because the catholic church failed me in some way, i just never had it. i was in catholic school from kindergarten to grade 4, and i never believed what i was being taught. in church, i never prayed, never thought there was anyone listening who cared. i also never kneeled when you are supposed to in catholic mass, i refused to do it. but my mom made me when grandma was with us.

while i couldnt care less what other people believe, im not gonna lie, i do have a problem with the way some people interpret their religions. im not going to be accepting of people who use their religion to hate and discriminate a person for something they cant change. unfortunately this happens much too often. also people who use their religious texts to change or discredit science. sorry, but if you can push your id movement but ignore the fact the bible says the world is flat and pi=3 im not going to take you seriously. but im not going to bother you either.

Allmaple, you are my message board doppelganger :lol: That is my identical thoughts...you must read www.fstdt.com too.

I have seen the argument many many times...that if we don't believe in God we will suddenly turn murderous and rape and kill babies :lol: Talk about fear propaganda to get people to stay in their religion. It doesn't work that way...we aren't free to do these things, because of our society, and biological urge to be apart of one. Not to mention, in US prisons, atheists only represent about 7% of the prison population. In the general population, they are around 17%. So statistically, atheists are more peaceful and less likely to break the law. Oops, there goes their argument.

I think it's pretty clear. The Bible wouldn't condemn someone to death and then let them into heaven.
Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable (Leviticus 18:22, NIV)
If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. (Leviticus 20:13, NIV)
Nowhere does it say that smoking is a sin, but you're supposed to worship the body that God gave you

It isn't that clear. There are problems with people using this argument against homosexuality. Leviticus is in the old testament, which also says its a sin to eat shellfish, women to cut their hair and slavery is ok! I was taught that only the new testament, ie Jesus message, is what the we should be listening to. Jesus never really said anything about homosexuality. You can't just pick and choose what things to follow in the bible.

Also, i have seen arguments that those lines don't mean homosexuality, but adultery. Language and phrases were different back then. Also, the bible wasn't written in english, its been translated. Never mind the fact that it was written by MAN, who always has another motive. So who knows what God really thinks (if he were to exist)...it just seems like such a small thing. Plus the bible was written in a time when scientific knowledge was so limited.

So far there haven't been any Catholics in here saying that as long as there's no proof as to what caused the Big Bang (only speculation, which it is), then they'll believe it was by God's hand and it's the "easy way out" to just accept whatever the scientists shove down our throats.

er...we are not really talking about the posters in here, more about the fundies who DO actually do this. And that is a big turn off of religion for some people. Scientists shove down our throats? That sounds intolerant ;) Scientists don't shove anything, they merely experiment and present the findings. They don't care which way the research goes (for the most part, there is corruption in the scientific community), just what the evidence tells us.

Also, i have seen arguments that those lines don't mean homosexuality, but adultery. Language and phrases were different back then. Also, the bible wasn't written in english, its been translated. Never mind the fact that it was written by MAN, who always has another motive. So who knows what God really thinks (if he were to exist)...it just seems like such a small thing. Plus the bible was written in a time when scientific knowledge was so limited.

Very true. That was I was trying to say. I will not believe and blindly obey something that was written by man and assume that it came from God. And YES the Bible wasn't written in English, and those of you who are not native-English speakers can agree with me that words can be very twisted when you translate from another language to English.

Scientists don't shove anything, they merely experiment and present the findings. They don't care which way the research goes (for the most part, there is corruption in the scientific community), just what the evidence tells us.
Not only that they don't shove anything down our throats, but sometimes they are acknowledged long after their deaths, and sometime in the past they were killed because they dared to experiment.

miss_blue said:
Not only that they don't shove anything down our throats, but sometimes they are acknowledged long after their deaths, and sometime in the past they were killed because they dared to experiment.

Christians were often put to death because they dared believe in God. And they weren't shoving anything down anyone's throats. (at least not everyone) So it goes both ways. There are always going to be people who have a problem with what people do with their lives that differ from the norm of that particular time. Just saying.. :p

And I can safely say I've had one or two 'scientific' people shove science down my throat--not anyone from this board. Which is weird because I don't contest science. :lol:

xfcanadian said:
Not to mention, in US prisons, atheists only represent about 7% of the prison population. In the general population, they are around 17%. So statistically, atheists are more peaceful and less likely to break the law. Oops, there goes their argument.

Heh, I found an interesting site here about prison incarceration and religious preference. This is one statistic I found interesting:

Possible Recent Statistics For a Fraction of U.S. Prisoners

David Rice has written to us (23 October 2002) concerning the origin of the data in the table below:
The data came from Denise Golumbaski, who was a Research Analyst for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The data was compiled from up-to-the-day figures on March 5th, 1997.

Catholic 29,267 / 31.432%
Protestant 26,162 /28.097%
None/Atheist/Unknown 18,537 /19.908%
Muslim 5,435 /5.837%
American Indian 2,408 /2.586%
Nation of Islam 1,734 /1.862%
Rastafarian 1,485 /1.595%
Jewish 1,325 /1.423%
Church of Christ 1,303 /1.399%
Pentecostal 1,093 /1.174%
Moorish 1,066 /1.145%
Buddhist 882 /0.947%
Jehovah's Witnesses 665 /0.714%
Adventist 621/ 0.667%
Eastern Orthodox 375 /0.403%
Latter-day Saints 298 /0.320%
Scientology 190 /0.204%
Hindu 119 /0.128%
Santeria 117 /0.126%
Sikh 14 /0.015%
Baha'i 9 /0.010%
ISKCON 7 /0.008%
-------------------- ------ --------
Total 93,112 100.000%
So according to this, yep Atheists make up a very small amount of the prison population in at least this census. This was 1997 of course.

According to some other sites, it seems to vary recently (depending on the census) between 50-75% Christian and 2-10% Atheist. So the number of Atheists being incarcerated has gone down quite a bit.

this site claims Christians make up about 80% of the prison AND American population while Atheists make up about 8% of America and 0.2% of the prison population.

Is this because Atheists are less likely to commit crimes, or maybe criminals are offered programs by the government to learn about religion/be exposed to religions as part of either a release program or therapy programs? I've heard about this before, though I tend to believe these prisoners were asked [about their religions] before commiting to any special programs.

Though the numbers might be different if they left religion out of it and asked 'do you believe in a diety of any sort' without referencing any organized religion. Those 'unknowns' might say they believe in God or Buddah or Mother Earth but they don't belong to Catholicism, Islam, etc. Same might be said for those in the general public altogether. There are definitely are some people here that believe in something other than what can be seen but don't follow a religion/aren't super religious.

Last edited:
I believe in God and I know God is exit in my heart. I don't push people if they believe in him or not, you don't do that to them and they will get mad. I don't go to church, because I have trouble understanding the preacher, because I'm hearing impaired.

I remember my old friend said, if you don't go to church, you will go to Hades. I don't believe that.

Last edited:
I have seen the argument many many times...that if we don't believe in God we will suddenly turn murderous and rape and kill babies :lol: Talk about fear propaganda to get people to stay in their religion. It doesn't work that way...we aren't free to do these things, because of our society, and biological urge to be apart of one. Not to mention, in US prisons, atheists only represent about 7% of the prison population. In the general population, they are around 17%. So statistically, atheists are more peaceful and less likely to break the law. Oops, there goes their argument.
Indeed, statistics. But religion has nothing to do with whether you commit a crime or not. Education/environment, yes, religion/faith, no.

I believe in God and I know God is exit in my heart.
I remember my old friend said, if you don't go to church, you will go to Hades.
Mixing religions, this should be fun too :D
(just kidding ;))

This is a question for the ones who believe in God/Allah/...
It's actually very simple. The question is: Why?
I've always wondered about people's motives or needs to believe in a higher being.
(Again, please don't be offended, my lust for knowledge and my curiosity are unsatisfiable :D)

Indeed, statistics. But religion has nothing to do with whether you commit a crime or not. Education/environment, yes, religion/faith, no.

Well, technically some religions or faith should make you less likely to commit a crime, if you genuinely believe and live your faith. Although to be honest, morality is a different thing, and regardless of faith most people still have the ability to tell right from wrong.

Of course, you can usually find statistics to back up any argument you like. Such as, statistics show that people in the US are more likely to express religious preference (or non preference I suppose) both in prison and in the general population... but that doesn't mean they are practising their faith. Indeed, if they are commiting crimes then they probably aren't really listening or paying attention to the teachings of their religion.

I'm sure if I wanted to I could find some statistics to suggest that atheists are more likely (and less likely because contradictory statistics are everywhere) to be better educated and of a higher 'social' group than the general population. And of course the prison population is unlikely to be the same demographic. What I'm getting at is that statistics can show whatever you want them to, rather than me actually believing that atheism or any religion (or non religion) is superior to others. I would personally shy away from suggesting that religion is any indicator of criminal behaviour, because it disregards too many other social factors.

_Hush_, why do I believe in God? Because it's the truth. And therein lies the problem or issue (that some people might have) with belief. I don't need to prove it, because I know it to be true... I don't have any 'motive' or 'need' to believe it, it's just that I was taught about the Lord and the Bible, and through these teachings and my own experiences I know that God exists. I have my own proof, but it's not exactly scientific. ;)

However, I would personally say that much of the Bible (particularly the Old Testament) is 'of it's time' I suppose. I'm more of a Liberal Christian.

Back