Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Re: Writers Strike-Is it going to have an effect on TV shows

HOLLYWOOD WRITERS STRIKE COSTS 2.5 BILLION

The 100-day Hollywood writers strike took a $2.5 billion toll on the Los Angeles County economy, which was less than had been estimated. The figure includes wages lost by writers and other entertainment industry workers when the strike shut down production, according to Jack Kyser, chief economist ot the L.A. County Economic Development Corp. His Tuesday estimate also represents damage done to Hollywood-dependent businesses, such as limousine services and caterers in the area. Las week, Kyser pegged the cost of the walk-out at $3.2 billion. They revised the final number and it reflects a reassessment of data and the fact that entertainment is a difficult industry to track!

LVRJ

2. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Oh, less than estimated, that makes it so much better. :rolleyes:

This is why I don't know how the writers live with themselves. Look how many lives they ruined. The people in those Hollywood-dependent businesses are not exactly rolling in money. Does anyone know the details of the new contracts? I'd heard the writers were going to see a tiny consequence for their actions, but I hadn't heard anything about it.

I really hope that in 20 years when the next piece of technology comes about everyone will think twice about striking. It just hurts innocent people.

3. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

You know what??? Hollywood may have suffered financially but the fans are also suffering just NOT financially. Look at the fans of 24 who have to wait till Jan. 2009 for their favorite show to return. Fans of Chuck, Heroes and Life may have to wait till September, October or even November of this year before their favorite shows return. I know if I had to wait that long, by the time the shows returned I wouldn't care about them anymore. I thought waiting till *March 24th* for new CSI: Miami episodes would be torture...HA...waiting till *March 24th* is gonna be a piece of cake compared to the waiting the 24 fans and the Chuck, Heroes and Life fans are gonna have to do.
    Hollywood isn't the only one who suffered from this :mad: strike :mad:. The fans are still suffering.

*March 24th* and other dates mentioned in this post.--MY SOURCE

4. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

When I first heard about the strike being officaly over I was standing in line at the grocery store and grabbed a copy of TV Guide when I saw William Petersen up in the corner and I let out a little squeal when I read that it was coming back in April, but why can't it be sooner :rolleyes:

5. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

without fans their is no tv industry...they can sweat the ratings drop...

They better not screw us with the dvd sets next season.

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

If there were no fans, then there would be no one to watch the tv shows, and therefore no show to write, act, direct.
    But if it weren't for the writers, actors, directors there would be no shows for the fans to watch.

The big old stumbling catch 22. Always hated those little problems. :D

7. Destiny

Yahoo News: Hollywood writers approve new contract
    Members of the Writers Guild of America have overwhelmingly approved a new contract with Hollywood studios that increases payment for shows offered on the Internet, the union said Tuesday.

TvGuide: WGA Ratifies Three-year Contract, AMPTP Promises Kinder, Gentler Biz
    In a statement, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers confirmed the ratification, and issued a call to action to get everyone fired up for production as one big happy community: "Now that our industry is back in business, our goal is to collaborate with everyone in the industry — writers, directors, actors and stagehands alike — to produce the highest-quality entertainment products without any further interruption."

8. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

At least until the SAG contract expires.

9. Destiny

I was going to change the title in this post to reflect the SAG contracts. But I didn't know if the mods have plans to keep this all in one or doing it separately. I was thinking of putting "Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects", for the title lol kind of wraps it all up into one. But thats up again to the mods. Anyway...

TvGuide: SAG Preps for Big Talks, But Not Ruling Out a Strike -SNIP- "First it was the writers, then the directors. Now it's coming up on the actors' turn for contract negotations before theirs expires June 30."

SAG: Press Releases - Right up to Feb 28th. Includes the release similar to what the link above [Tvguide] has in information.

10. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

^The title has been changed. :)

11. Destiny

Okay thank you. :) I figured all the talk thats going on, cover it all in one and everything is covered without it going off topic.

Yahoo News: Actors union expects talks to April - The Screen Actors Guild will not begin negotiating with studios until April, despite pressure to avoid a replay of the turmoil caused by the writers' 100-day strike.

12. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Oh no, not again. They are not seriously going to do this again. Did the people of Hollyweird not learn their lesson the first time?! Must they inflict this suffering again?! Cost LA County another 2.5 billion dollars?!

If either side is stubborn about this contract negotiation I am going to scream.

13. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Well hopefully this one they will resolve before it gets too that point of striking.

14. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Unions don't care about the affecting others around them...at my university, the professors might strike, which will screw over a whole lot of students.

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Your kidding, again, what the H is going on with these people.. stop it :mad:this is riduculous, isn't Alan Rosenberg the pres. of this one? guess he's chewing his nails.. come on peeps. get a grip :confused: