Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Re: Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

I'm sorry but with the way the economy is now, is a strike really the right thing?? *tisk*

2. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

If they do go on strike, we may not see CSI celebrate their 200th episode in April. I hope they could work it out during the Christmas Holiday before the show come back in January.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Well you figure the writers strike that lasted 100 days ended up costing an estimated 2.5 Billion in the LA economy. Imagine what an actors strike would do...

From the Yahoo article...

Talks broke down after the studios sought the right to create productions for new media, such as the Internet, using nonunion actors and without paying residuals, said Doug Allen, SAG national executive director and chief negotiator. -- Residuals are payments to actors that are made every time a production airs, such as TV reruns. Many SAG members rely on residuals for more than half of their income, Allen said.
    "They're asking us to bless a system we believe would be the beginning of the end of residuals, and that's a very scary thought for working actors," he said. -- The producers' alliance condemned the SAG decision and said it remains the only major Hollywood guild without a labor deal this year.
    "Now, SAG is bizarrely asking its members to bail out the failed negotiating strategy with a strike vote — at a time of historic economic crisis," a producers' statement said. "The tone-deafness of SAG is stunning."

Okay now I got this info from Wikipedia so how truthful it is is iffy at best..
    In addition to its main offices in Hollywood, SAG also maintains local branches in several major US cities, including: Phoenix, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Detroit, Denver, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Honolulu, and San Francisco.

For all those wondering about past Presidents of SAG from the same site wikipedia here is what they have, think of it as a bit of triva if you will.
    1933-1933 Ralph Morgan, 1933-1935 Eddie Cantor, 1935-1938 Robert Montgomery, 1938-1940 Ralph Morgan
    1940-1942 Edward Arnold, 1942-1944 James Cagney, 1944-1946 George Murphy, 1946-1947 Robert Montgomery, 1947-1952 Ronald Reagan
    1952-1957 Walter Pidgeon, 1957-1958 Leon Ames, 1958-1959 Howard Keel, 1959-1960 Ronald Reagan
    1960-1963 George Chandler, 1963-1965 Dana Andrews, 1965-1971 Charlton Heston, 1971-1973 John Gavin, 1973-1975 Dennis Weaver, 1975-1979 Kathleen Nolan
    1979-1981 William Schallert, 1981-1985 Edward Asner, 1985-1988 Patty Duke, 1988-1995 Barry Gordon, 1995-1999 Richard Masur, 1999-2001 William Daniels, 2001-2005 Melissa Gilbert, 2005-present Alan Rosenberg.

4. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Just because they get a strike authorization, doesn't mean they'll actually use it. But if SAG go to the negotiating table and all parties know that they have the authorization to strike, that's a bigger bargaining chip than if they don't have the authorization. Now I think they'd be extremely stupid to actually call a strike. They might have had some support this time last year, but that was before the writers got their strike on, and with a better economic prospect as well.
    While I do feel that they deserve a better deal than they have right now, actually calling a strike would only be shooting themselves in the foot, figuratively speaking.

5. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I agree totally.

6. Destiny

Found some more links and such.

Quote Box - A summary of quotes from actors.

Can Tv Take Strike Two? - "Law & Order" creator Dick Wolf, said it's "unbelievable" that SAG could be moving toward a strike. "It's so out of touch with reality," he said. "Strikes very rarely accomplish what they set out to do, and it is a different situation than the '40s and '50s, when certain things had to be achieved."

Will SAG Moderates Support A Strike?
    Jonathan Handel: SAG Stalks Towards Strike
    Michael Seitzman: Why the WGA was right & SAG is wrong
    SAG stars in new production of 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'

Hmm love this quote, In an interview on KTLA-TV Los Angeles, SAG president Alan Rosenberg said that even if a strike is authorized, a walkout is not imminent. "We have to put bullets in our gun in order to get a deal," he said. "Our hope is that will make the AMPTP come back to the table and talk to us."

I personally just have a touch of trouble believing him, I know he is married to Marg H. (CSI) and Alan is a good actor but none of those two things has anything to do with this job persae, but for some reason ever sense he became president of SAG I just don't trust what he has to say, I hope my thoughts and feelings are wrong.

7. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

A SAG strike won't cripple TV - "If an actors strike really does come to pass, don't worry. You won't have to do without "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" or "Saturday Night Live." Even certain scripted series, such as CW's "90210" and CBS' "Gary Unmarried," would be safe. And thank the gods in heaven that Fox's sitcom " 'Til Death" wouldn't suffer from a walkout."

"Last week, the Screen Actors Guild, whose members have worked without a contract for months, announced it would push for a union-wide vote to authorize a strike. If that vote passes -- which many observers consider unlikely, given the current turmoil in the larger economy, but certainly not impossible -- an actors walkout could happen as early as mid-January. (Sources at the networks and the unions were happy to talk off the record, but no one would agree to be quoted by name discussing a sensitive labor situation.)"

"SAG still covers the big filmed shows such as "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." But even there, the networks might not suffer as much as they did during the writers strike. Many shows began production earlier than usual last summer, so they have finished shooting a large number of episodes. One network source said some series have completed photography on 15 to 17 episodes and would probably be close to having finished a full-season order by the time any strike started."

Some interesting parts:thumbsup:

8. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

^^ i don't get where they are getting that. The writers strike already showed the effects on tv. The ratings are going down the tube, people have other forms of entertainment now, competing with tv. People are getting pissed off, tv show boxset sales are way down (from last year, for sure), seeking other shows online instead.

They NEED to update their ratings system, figure out a way to measure and count online popularity, get american shows available outside of the US (because us foreigners are stealing them all) online, and get their heads out of their asses.

Dick Wolf is correct...this isn't the 50's anymore, there are more competition around now.

9. Destiny

Here are some more links just trying to keep it up to date. Just to keep it straight here is the official SAG & AMPTP websites.

Now on to news items, Snips may be included:

"AMPTP Ad Takes Aim At SAG's Prospects Of “Unnecessary Strike”

"SAG slams AMPTP ad" - The Screen Actors Guild is criticizing the TV and film producers who took out a full-page ad in the Los Angeles Times about their ongoing labor dispute.

"SAG faction urges caution in strike vote" - Some supporters say an e-mail from the Unite for Strength group is a signal to oppose strike authorization.

"Actors Pressure Union on Strike Authorization Vote" - Farrell, a former officer of the guild. said in an interview today. “The overarching economic crisis that the world is in suggests this is the kind of action that will be not only crippling to the industry but lead to the utter destruction of the Screen Actors Guild,”

"AMPTP Details Final Contract Offer to SAG" - Producers Breakdown Specifics of Final Offer to SAG Members, Public. (There is also a link in this story to see the details)

"SAG Foes Of Strike Referendum Arise" - Liberal activist/actor Mike Farrell sent an email to members that concluded with the words, "As a member for over 40 years, I'm not anti-SAG. But I am anti-idiocy. I'm voting 'no.'" -- Husband-and-wife Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman released a letter that they had sent to SAG President Alan Rosenberg saying, "We support our union and we support the issues we're fighting for, but we do not believe in all good conscience that now is the time to be putting people out of work."

10. Destiny

Well here is somemore updates regarding the strike or rather possible strike, I have snipped quotes to keep it short but included the link to each of the stories.

KTLA: SAG Sets Meeting To Discuss Strike Vote
    "The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) will hold a members-only meeting Monday night. Union leaders say they will explain the members' options and ask for a strike authorization vote." <SNIP> "SAG told its members that Monday's town hall meeting will provide an update on the negotiations and a chance to ask questions about the upcoming strike authorization ballot referendum. <SNIP> In a mailing SAG leadership told its members that "a strike authorization vote from SAG members would show the AMPTP that the unique needs of actors cannot be addressed by a pattern of bargaining."

NBC LA: SAG Leaders, Members To Meet Monday Night
    "In addition to Monday's meeting with actors, SAG leaders plan to meet two days later with the stars' personal publicists and managers. Those influential cogs in the wheel will likely take a large financial hit if their employers walk out, industry officials have said." <SNIP> "Last weekend, the eight studio presidents accused SAG of "demanding that the entire industry literally throw out all its hard work because it believes it deserves more than the 230,000 other working people in the industry," the statement said." <SNIP> "That means a strike is possible in February, in time to disrupt the Feb. 22 Academy Awards telecast by stringing picket lines down Hollywood Boulevard. A number of prominent actors have come down on both sides of the issue, with several arguing against a strike."

LaTimes: SAG Big Union + Small Turnout = strike authorization?
    "The question is, why would SAG hold such an important vote over the December holidays, when much of Hollywood shuts down? Some union critics think the timing is suspicious and claim that SAG leaders would like nothing more than to see a low turnout, particularly among working actors who are the most likely to oppose a walkout." <SNIP> "While some prominent actors, including Rob Morrow and former SAG President Ed Asner, have declared their support behind the union leadership, other household names have openly challenged holding a strike authorization during the worst recession in decades." <SNIP> "The sparring has extended into SAG's 71-member board as well. New York board member and former SAG President Richard Masur has blasted guild leaders for their handling of the failed federal mediation talks, which precipitated the strike authorization vote. SAG President Alan Rosenberg returned fire at critics, saying negotiators did everything they could to keep talks alive in the face of studio intransigence. - Meanwhile, studio executives aren't appearing fretful about the prospect of a strike -- as they were last year when the writers were ramping up to walk out -- because they're betting that SAG members will not vote for strike authorization given the recession, with its attendent widespread layoffs that is now washing over media companies."

11. Destiny

*Sigh* My life vs the edit button just doesn't seem to connect, either that or the fact that I was baking and missed the deadline. :lol:

DEC 09, 2008
    Bloomberg: Actors Union Urges Members to Approve Strike Authorization
    "Hollywood’s largest actors union urged members to authorize a strike, saying there is no other way to force film and television studios to negotiate."

ETA 12/10: HA I beat the edit time cool. Anyway on to the news.

Screen Actors Guild sets strike vote
    The Screen Actors Guild says it will send strike authorization ballots to its 120,000 members on Jan. 2. - The votes will be counted on Jan. 23, which will not be in time to potentially disrupt the Golden Globe Awards like the writers' strike did last year. - Approval by 75 percent of members is required to pass the measure. If approved, the SAG national board can call a strike. - Guild President Alan Rosenberg said in a statement Wednesday that the future of professional actors is at stake. The guild remains at odds with Hollywood studios over treatment of Internet productions and actor benefits in the event of unplanned work stoppages.

SAG Strike Vote Announced on KTLA Morning News
    Rosenberg said SAG will mail out vote authorization ballots to its 120,000 members on January 2 and will tabulate the votes on January 23rd. <SNIP> A strike authorization requires 75 percent voter approval. <SNIP> Rosenberg said the decision to mail out ballots after the holidays was made in most part to provide more time for educating members about the issues at hand.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  12. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Alan Rosenberg is so out of touch with reality it's not funny. I hope the members vote against a strike. Now is not the time as the industry is still reeling from the writers' strike of last year.

13. Destiny

I hope they don't as well. Here are some more update links..

SAG MEMBERS FAVOR STRIKE AUTHORITY
    Of about 500 people who attended a SAG Town Hall meeting in Los Angeles Tuesday night, most appeared to favor a strike authorizaion, published reports said today (Wednesday). Each attendee received an information sheet listing the union's bargaining priorities. <SNIP> Today's Daily Variety quoted SAG member Oliver Thees as saying, "It's important for us to take a firm stand against producers at a time when so much of our work is being seen over the Internet." But a national board member from New York said, "To go on strike, during an economic crisis and with AFTRA standing by to offer our employers the same talent under their accepted contract, is completely ridiculous."

SAG Moves One Step Closer To Potential Strike
    The Screen Actors Guild took another step toward a potential strike today by announcing its strike authorization schedule. Ballots will go out to paid up members on Friday, Jan. 2 and are due back for tabulation on Friday, Jan. 23. Seventy-five percent of the voting members must vote yes to approve a strike, which the 120,000-plus member union is expected to use as a negotiating ploy to seek further gains from the conglomerates. Should the union fail to achieve what they want in a new contract, SAG national board of directors must call for a strike before picketing can actually begin. <SNIP> SAG President Alan Rosenberg said, "SAG Members must understand that their futures as professional actors are at stake, and I believe that SAG members will evaluate the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers' June 30 offer and vote to send us back to the table with the threat of a strike. A yes vote sends a strong message that we are serious about fending off rollbacks and getting what is fair for actors in new media." <SNIP>
    The authorization vote was delayed until after the holidays to give SAG a chance to educate members about the perceived benefits of a strike authorization. "Our objective remains to get a deal that SAG members will ratify," added Doug Allen, SAG's national exec director and chief negotiator, "not to go on strike."
    The AMPTP reacted with a statement of its own: "It's now official: SAG members are going to be asked to bail out a failed negotiating strategy by going on strike during one of the worst economic crises in history. We hope that working actors will study our contract offer carefully and come to the conclusion that no strike can solve the problems that have been created by SAG's own failed negotiation strategy."

This Time Actors Hesitate Over Strike (SNIPS Throughout To Shorten)
    Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, Richard Masur & Mike Farrell have beseeched their fellow actors to defeat a strike authorization. <SNIP> Actors on board, like Ed Asner, Justine Bateman and Viggo Mortensen, judging from their public comments. But other working actors appear to be balancing the fight for a better contract against their desire to walk picket lines during a recession. <SNIP> posted on the SAG Web site on Tuesday, Alan Rosenberg, the guild president, looked calmly into the camera and tried to address fears about striking at such an awkward time. The studios, Mr. Rosenberg said, “hope to use the economic uncertainty of 2008 to scare you into making a deal you will regret in 2010 and beyond.”

14. Destiny

Okay its been a couple days since we had an update so I figured I would look around and yep I found some. So here goes the snips.

SAG to Vote on Strike, But it Looks Close
    The Screen Actors Guild will send strike authorization ballots to more than 100,000 members of the union on Jan. 2, but the dismal economic climate and the pleas of several prominent actors not to strike could make the vote close.

SAG Sets Vote For Strike Authorization
    The awards season could be threatened again by a Hollywood strike, though the Golden Globes will at least be safe. Yesterday the Screen Actors Guild said it will mail out ballots for a strike authorization on Jan. 2, with counting set for Jan. 23, as rhetoric between actors and producers remains sharp. Yesterday SAG also advised members that come Jan. 1, they cannot work on new media productions, which have been one of the major points of contention in negotiations.

New York-based SAG board speaks out against strike vote
    A faction of the Screen Actors Guild is calling for the union to halt a vote that would authorize a strike with Hollywood producers.
    The announcement represents a major split between the union's Hollywood leadership and the more moderate faction based in New York.
    The New York board in October supported seeking a strike authorization vote if negotiations for a new deal failed.
    The board now says holding the vote in January amid a slumping economy would be irresponsible.
    The state board's 14 members is also calling for the national board to hold an emergency meeting to appoint new negotiators to talk with producers.
    SAG president Alan Rosenberg denounces the move. He says he'll call an emergency meeting, but doesn't know when.

SAG LEADERS FIGHT NY "SUBVERSIVES"
    Leaders of the New York local of the Screen Actors Guild on Friday demanded that the union's leaders call off plans to seek a strike authorization vote and replace the current negotiating committee. SAG President Alan Rosenberg responded by calling the New York leaders' demands "extraordinarily destructive and subversive" and scheduled an emergency meeting of the national board for Friday, December 19, insisting that the New York chiefs attend in person.

15. Destiny

This is about to be a long post, and at the end you will see why, which is why I decided to create a new one, and hoping the mods since I don't make it a habit, but do this with reason, will understand.

Clooney, Hanks Say Actors Should Drop Strike Vote
    Baldwin, Hanks Urge Actors to Drop Strike Vote as Rift Deepens
    More actors oppose SAG strike - A-list actors
    knocking SAG strike vote

Stars for Strike: Mel Gibson, Martin Sheen, Holly Hunter, Ed Asner, Justine Bateman and Viggo Mortensen.

Stars Against Strike, Signed This Letter Those stars are:

Alan Alda, Jason Alexander, Dave Annable, René Auberjonois, Diane Baker, Bob Balaban, Alec Baldwin, William Baldwin, Barbara Beck, Ed Begley, Jr, Maria Bello, Barbara Bosson, Bruce Boxleitner, Josh Brolin, Pierce Brosnan, David Boreanaz, Blair Brown, Lizzy Caplan, Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Carrell, Mark Cassen, Erika Christensen, George Clooney, Glenn Close, Scott Cohen, Jack Coleman, Stephen Collins, Peter Coyote, James Cromwell, Billy Crystal,

Matt Damon, Ted Danson, James Darren, Bruce Davison, James Denton, Brian Dennehy, Danny DeVito, Cameron Diaz, Garret Dillahunt, Larry Dorf, Minnie Driver, Olympia Dukakis, Patty Duke, Charles S. Dutton, Shelley Fabares, Bill Fagerbakke, Mike Farrell, Sally Field, Kate Flannery, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Garner, Teri Garr, Melissa Gilbert, Sara Gilbert, John Goodman, Christopher Gorham, Heather Graham, Kelsey Grammer, Jennifer Grey, Michael Gross, Christopher Guest, Annabelle Gurwitch, Michael C. Hall, Tom Hanks, Tess Harper, Mariette Hartley, Ed Helms, Marilu Henner, Cheryl Hines, Felicity Huffman, Helen Hunt, Jeremy Irons, Kathryn Joosten,

Carol Kane, Diane Keaton, Jamie Kennedy, Mimi Kennedy, TR Knight, Sarah Knowlton, John Krasinski, Diane Lane, Michele Lee, Lucy Liu, Rob Lowe, Tobey Maguire, Janel Maloney, Camryn Manheim, Marlee Matlin, Melanie Mayron, Andrew McCarthy, Mary McCormack, Chris McDonald, Neal McDonough, Rob McElhenney, Ewan McGregor, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Helen Mirren, James Naughton, Edward Norton, Michael Nouri, Gail O'Grady, Kaitlin Olson, Sam Page, Eva Longoria Parker, Adrian Pasdar, Steve Pasquale, Rhea Perlman, Jaimie Pressley,

Jason Ritter, John Saxon, William Schallert, Adam Scott, Tony Shalhoub, Armin Shimerman, Christian Slater, Kevin Spacey, Jerry Sroka, Mary Steenburgen, Marcia Strassman, Brenda Strong, Donald Sutherland, Kitty Swink, David Tadman, Jeffrey Tambor, Charlize Theron, Ally Walker, Tracey Walter, Belinda Waymouth, Bradley Whitford, Lee Wilkoff, Brian Wimmer, Kevin Zegers, Louis Zoric.