Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

Strike update!!! Strike update!!! Get it while it's hot!!!
    Last night I was watching the 10 o'clock news on our CBS affiliated station in Huntsville, Alabama then I flipped over to our NBC affiliated station out of Huntsville, Alabama and a minute after I did the NBC affiliate station said the exact same thing, almost word for word, that the CBS affiliated station's news said: the writers and the tv and movie producers have reached a tentative agreement that could be announced sometime this week. Then just a few minutes ago on CNN's Headline News Network they said according to sources close to the negotiations the tentative agreement is pretty strong. So, let's all cross our fingers, hope and pray real hard that the strike is coming to an end very, very soon...like maybe by next Monday-February 11-at the latest.
    Latest Writers' Strike News...Check It Out

This has been a writers' strike update brought to you by Carolyn318. I now return you to the re-runs. :)

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I'm so excited the strike is almost over.

TV Guide said that established shows might produce more episodes for this spring.

check it out

I really, really hope so.

3. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

I don't know, that sounds good....too good. Even if it were plausible for them to reach a deal next week and get the shows up and running again for a few more episodes, personally I would prefer it if they just saved it until fall. Why start again just to STOP again? Why not wait 'til next season so they can go straight through? Plus, they might request a longer summer break if they're working later (normally the writers would be finished right around now).

4. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

LibertyBell, please say you're joking. I want a resolution to the last written and ready-to-go episode of CSI: Miami CBS aired last month-Raising Caine. I'll take a shorter season. Wait till October or November??? I don't think so.
    It'd drive me :rolleyes: NUTS :p waiting that long for a resolution to Raising Caine.

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Carolyn318, yes it's true that it will take time for writing and filimg to take place, if that is the chosen path. It takes a lot to work ona nd film a tv show, sometimes as little as a week and as much as a week and a half.

So if the strike does end this week, tv is going to still remain the same. And I agree with LibertyBell why start to just stop again. Keep the good stuff for when everything can come full circle.

6. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I have wondered if they can finish the season (maybe with no reruns) and just have a shorter summer break.

7. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I was wondering the same thing as CSI_KAT, but who knows what will be done....if any. There are so many possibilities to consider!

8. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Firstly, AFAIK, filming for shows usually finished up mid April. So there's at least 2 months left to get as much as they can done.
    Secondly, because of the strike, it's possible that they may film later in the year. I know that many actors may have projects to work on during the summer hiatus, but there's going to be less scripts around than usual so they may be able to work longer in the season.
    Thirdly, let's not forget that that SAG contract runs out in the summer and apparently they are also prepared to strike if they haven't reached an agreement. So TPTB might want to get as much filmed as they can in case they're faced with another season of pickets.

Fourthly, oh crap, we're probably going to get a boatload of clip shows (shudder)

9. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I want to relay what it says in the February 11-17 TV Guide I just got in the mail today. On page 8 is: Breaking News--> TOP 10 STORIES. I wanna quote word for word, letter for letter 2 of the little sub-stories under story #1-Life After the Strike.
    The way I interpret that is: we may get a resolution to CSI: Miami's last written and ready-to-go episode from January (Raising Caine) as soon as the middle of April and they might go into June. I hope they do have CSI: Miami, CSI: NY and original CSI up and running by the middle of April. I also hope they do go into June. I'd be one very happy camper. :D

10. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

ctv is also showing Dexter, in 2 weeks. However, they are showing the edited version that CBS is. I don't know why, they showed the Sopranos uncut...maybe to save money. Lame!

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This was in our paper, today, on this silly/ludicrious strike, which hopfully will be resolved like NOW, for some who might not understand what all the fuss/hype is about~give them what they want!!!!

Writers have been seeking bigger fees, known as residuals from the sale of home videos, and compensation from Internet downloads and streaming of TV programs and movies. The big stumbling block has been the precise formula for Internet residuals. A remaining issue in the talks, is how writers will be paid after a program is streamed or downloaded for more than 3 years!

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The strike is far from being silly, the writers want the money they deserve for the works they have been producing.

It's like hiring someone to preform on Broadway and then not paying them for acting in the play 8 times a week.

13. allmaple

allmaple Judge

a while ago i finally figured out why the producers were holding out on the dvd/internet profits for the writers. i kept thinking 'its their work, they deserve it'. but there was an article in my local paper describing the writers current contracts. basically, once they write the script the studio owns it. so it is their work, but the studios own the copyrights and get the profit. thats why they havent been giving in, because they didnt have to. finally makes sense to me.

im not sure how they can finish off the season, because it will take weeks to get episodes ready for air and the actors arent going to want to give up their summer break. but the thought of having no new shows til fall is thoroughly depressing.

hopefully it will get worked out soon and we can get something.

14. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Postproduction community sees long-term strike damage
    "Insiders calculate that the number of post industry members who have lost their jobs or been put on hiatus is in the thousands. - Some facilities have put employees on hiatus or on reduced work weeks, enabling them to maintain their benefits -- though not their salaries."

15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Draft of proposed deal expected soon <SNIP - Click link for the rest>

"The striking Writers Guild of America is anticipating that lawyers could complete a draft copy of a proposed deal with Hollywood studios by Friday."

Let this be true, Let us hope, let us pray, and let us have our dang tv shows back! Take the freaking deal! :D