Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

Re: Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Par

Please, please tptb, I know it makes the GSR fans happy, but we KNOW they're married, we do not need to be constantly reminded of it. :rolleyes:

First off, I'm not a huge fan of GSR. However, I don't mind the references to the relationship as long as it pertains to a case. In the episode "Unshockable", I had no issues with Sara mentioning the bug stuff she learned from Grissom. It was a piece of random info that many characters have utilized. Catherine has made anecdotes concerning stuff she learned through Lily, Sam, Eddie or Lindsey. Greg has used his relatives for random info. Practically all the main characters have done so. It seems to be a running theme. Why shouldn't Sara use the same method? (On a side note: how is this different from the amount of time Catherine talked about Eddie in the first two seasons? It was almost every other episode. Or Warrick discussing his issues with Tina. It wasn't as frequent, but still appeared many time during seasons 6, 7 and 8.)

Now I'll move away from the GSR stuff.

I like Cath and Vartann. Both seem... stable. Two mature adults with a mutual level of attraction. Vartann is definitely better than the previous men Catherine has dated. And married.

I guess the references to GSR is due to the fact that their the only couple on the show, who had a long standing relationshp that ended in marriage, and it's important to the fans of them to keep it alive. And, now that Sara has returned it would be odd if she never mentioned her hubby.:confused: On Det. Vartann and Cath I'm all for it, I hope if this is a go, they give him more screen time, and show us some juicy tidbits, between them~

I did not liked GSG becouse it took time away from Grissom relationship with catherine(not romantic) Warrick and the others.And I have said over and over that he was afather figure to her in MY eyes.But I have to admit that GSR has done Sara good.I do not find her annoying and she looks more tolerable now.That said if she is married to Grisson she has to talk about him.

Catherine and Vartan,now that is a ship that I am on board.:)It's time for catherine to get some loving from a decent guy.Someone that she can talk about her problems with the job ,Lindsay and understands the long hours dedicated to being a supervisor.:thumbsup:

I've been for Catherine and Vartann since the end of season 6. ;)

He's a recurring character so I'm sure we won't see them together as often as Grissom and Sara. He's a cop (reports to a different boss) and she's the Supervisor now.

What I do hope is that this ends well for Catherine. That he doesn't break her heart or they decide that it's better to be apart or something like that. I'd be upset because I think he'd do her some good.

Some people say he's boring or has no personality, I think he's very underused. We know nothing about his background or anything. Yea, he's said some 'off color' things in the past, but since they have brought him back, he seems to have a different outlook. Those sort of comments don't come from him anymore.
Which makes me wonder exactly how long has he been seeing Catherine?? ;)

Catherine seems to have mellowed as well. She's the supervisor now and she can't go flying off the handle anymore. (I just watched Lady Heather's Box today.) Although she had good reason, her demeanor with Lindsay has changed her attitude has changed, again how long has she been dating the detective??? ;)

So yea, as you can see, I'm all for it. Just do it tastefully, bits and pieces and don't break Catherine's heart. She needs him.

Maybe Vartan is the reason why Catherine is not so stressed anymore;) So can we say it happened between last season and this one?

Did we saw something before that scene where he helped her this season that they at least flirted? I always miss the ships until they are too obvious.:lol:

So, with the end of the season coming, we have two potentially cannon relationships on CSI;

Catherine and Detective Vartann

and

Wendy and Hodges.

How does everyone feel about that? What do you like or dislike about each pairing? Is there room in a show like CSI for not one but two separate relationships? If so, why or why not?

Please remember our Shipper Central rules....

Keep the discussion PG13
Respect all opinions. Because someone does not agree with you doesn't make them dumb or a jackass or whatever... That being said, this is a debate thread there will be disagreements.

PLEASE keep that in mind.

For now, if you want to discuss an upcoming episode, please use the spoiler tags.

Well, I like the idea of Catherine and Vartann. It would be nice if Catherine finally found someone who treated her right. It would be about time. Though I liked her with that engineer guy too. I think they make a great couple and have great chemistry together.

As for Hodges and Wendy, I'm on the fence. I like it because it goes against the stereotypical Hollywood TV romance. I mean Hodges isn't that great looking (no offense) and pairing him with a beautiful woman, all I can say is it's about time. That isn't something you see on TV shows and it's a nice change.

I think the show has room for romance if it is kept in the background and doesn't take over the show. How they would show Catherine and her boyfriends in that past was just enough. Show the relationship here and there without shows be written for that particular ship.

They would have room for Nick, Greg and Brass having a relationship too, if handled in the background. I like getting something personal from the characters a little. Again, as long as it doesn't take away from the show.

So go for it, I really don't think these two ships would take over the show and yes I have to say it, like a certain other ship did.

These two ships I could 'see', GSR I couldn't nor will I ever be able to 'see'. However, that's just me. :)

I would really like to see Brass have a relationship. Not with a regular character, but someone. It could be cool.

Catherine and Vartann I LOVE! :)

I think that like speedystokesgirl mentioned it's about time Cath is in a good relationship with a guy that treats her right. I think that Vartann is mature, handsome, and above all, a gentleman. The scene with Cath and Sara when Sara asked her about Vartann was wonderful, IMO, because it showed a side of Cath we rarely see. She was kind of flustered and taken by surprise. Then the scenes she and Vartann shared in the episode with the unfortunate name, were just sizzling with chemistry and most of the time they were just talking. I liked how they could flirt and share smiles and looks, but at the same time have a serious open hearted conversation. Plus the kiss was really nice to see :). For me it'd be a shame if the relationship wasn't further developed because I think that it has a lot of potential and both actors make it work in a very natural way.

As for Hodges and Wendy.... I guess the reason I'm not invested in this relationship is because I just don't like Hodges. Not only that but I think that Wendy is great and for a character I like to be with a character I strongly dislike well it makes the relationship not very likable to me. At the same time, it doesn't bother me too much because in their geeky, unsual way it does kind of work. IDK, maybe further down the line I'll learn to appreciate Hodges. I actually thought while watching one of the episodes from this season (can't remember which one) that Wendy and Nick would look cute together. They were talking and IDK they just looked nice. I know it's not gonna happen though *shrugs*.

I think that even though it's a crime drama romance is always fun to see. Like a poster wrote over in the Miami section: even the CSI's need a little bit of romance :).

Well, I love Cath and Vartann without a doubt. :D

As for Hodges/Wendy, I don't mind it. they're kind of cute together. Although I think I like a little Arwen (Archie/Wendy) too. :lol:

I'm all for Catherine and Vartann. Cath does deserve some lovings and Vartann has always been my favorite of the detectives (after Brass and the lovely Sofia, of course). Those two compliment each other quite well.

As for Wedges... meh. I LOVE Wendy but don't really care for Hodges. I'm a Simmers (Greg/Wendy) fan myself and could see a little DNA swapping between those two. Though Arwen (love the name!) wouldn't be bad either. And I'm definitely not for the Wendy/Henry thing they tried.

I guess you all know how I feel about Cath/Vartann. <<<points to icon. :lol:

Hodges and Wendy are great. It can also work because, although both characters are in the opening credits, neither one of them have to be on each case together either. They don't have to be in the lab at the same time with each other. But, the problem I see is that when Gil/Sara relationship was 'outed', Ecklie had the rule of two people on the same shift can't be in a relationship together. I wonder how that would effect Wendy and Hodges? I guess one of them could switch shifts. He did offer to have his permanent record tarnished with Wendy's doings to Henry. I could see him sacrificing his shift so he could still see Wendy.

Well, I like the idea of Catherine and Vartann. It would be nice if Catherine finally found someone who treated her right. It would be about time. Though I liked her with that engineer guy too. I think they make a great couple and have great chemistry together.
ITA..they make such a great couple. I think it would awesome to have them as a canon couple. Vartann is such a great guy and Catherine deserves happiness after all the sadness she's had to endure.

I think Hodges and Wendy make such a cute couple. They have an adorable clumsiness about them. Like two little kids falling in love for the first time you know? That shy awkwardness. I'd like to see it continue.

I'd love to see more canon couples than just these two. I'd love to see Nick with Mandy. I think she is one of the most under used characters on the show. She's so funny and smart and would be a nice opposite to the steadfast, all serious Nick Stokes. The other two relationships seem to be going.

I'm not saying I want to see CSI turned into a romance show, but after 10 seasons, they've done it all. I'd say go for three or more!

Okay so here's another thought to debate .....

What makes a cannon couple? A kiss? them in bed? What determines if a couple is 'cannon' or not? At what point are they an 'official couple?'
How many pairing have you thought were cannon and weren't or should have been?

Again, please keep the S.C rules in mind.
And this is a debate thread, there will be disagreements.

On this show to me, I think 'cannon' is when the writers show the fans that two people are dating, living together or married. One kiss a relationship does not make. But GSR fans knew, due to the the fact that William Petersen stated that "Jorja Fox was brought on the show to be Grissom's 'love interest' and never wavered from that, so many signs constantly, and that was "cannon", and even when Ecklie asked "why didn't you tell me"? Grissom goes "we didn't want you to know", so some things are kept secret and that could be happening now with two other couples:shifty: but Gil and Sara they ended up married. If the writers want a couple to be 'cannon' then it will happen:thumbsup:

And an added footnote: because fans see something that they like, does not mean anything is happening, with said people it could be fan-fiction with them or wishful thinking~ The only couple on the show to ever be called 'cannon' was and is GSR~

Last edited:

The way I see it, a canon couple (or ship, as it were) is when there is a mutual attraction between two people and sufficient evidence that, if circumstances allow, they would be a couple.

GSR and Vartillows are obviously canon since both members are confirmed to be together. These I would call the only official couples.

I call Wedges and Yo!Bling canon because even though the people involved aren't actually together (or ever will be as is the case with Bling), there is strong evidence that there is an attraction from both parties.

Sandle is a quasi-canon ship. Greg obviously liked Sara in the first couple seasons and made several attempts at wooing her. It's a one-sided attraction there.

I'm not counting Henry/Wendy as I see that as a joke set up for that particular episode.

There are several others that I generally don't see as canon. CatNip (that's Nick and Catherine, right?) is null and void since it was deleted from the pilot and never referenced again. I don't count playful banter and/or non-committal flirting either - thus ruling out Grissom/Catherine, Nick/Mandy and Nick/Sara.

I'm unsure about Grissom/Heather and Grissom/Sofia. Those relationships were... complicated. I hold no ruling on them.

And Nick/Greg, while amusing and entertaining, is in my mind only fiction.

The one that I wish really did happen is Simmers. I think Greg and Wendy have chemistry.

Back