Danny & Rikki - But This Is My Shirt

Let's revisit the pivotal scene from episode 4x13 for Danny and Rikki!

Rikki's pointing Danny's gun at Ollie, but Danny finds them in time and steps in between them, putting himself in the line of fire. When he tells Rikki to blame him for Ruben's death and to shoot him instead, Rikki breaks down and cries and says to Danny that she just wants her son back. :(

csiny41376ym9.jpg

Look at Danny's expression as Rikki begins to cry. It's hurting him to see her in pain, and because he's blaming himself for Ruben's death and for causing Rikki this pain, it must hurt a lot.

When Ollie badmouthed Rikki, Danny instantly lost it and punched the guy at least twice before Flack dragged him off. That reaction is not of a man who's just distant acquaintances with his neighbor. That's the reation of a man who's pissed off beyond words that some a-hole insulted someone he cared very much for and wasn't going to let it slide.

And here's something very interesting I noticed upon watching the scene again:

413dannyrikki01xx3.jpg

After Flack yanks Danny off Ollie and Flack is telling Ollie to get lost, Danny paces a bit to cool off ... and the first thing he does is head straight for Rikki and hold her arm. What makes it even sweeter is that Rikki does the same thing with him at the same time. :) Even then, they were already instinctively reaching out for each other.

413dannyrikki02fu5.jpg

I think this screencap speaks for itself. :)

And yeah, isn't it heartwarming to know Danny called Rikki sweetheart?

:( They're both so broken.

It's really sad to think of what could be--and what they can probably never have now. Ruben's death was tragic (and senseless :(), and it adds to the tragedy when you think of the ripple effect his death is having on Rikki and Danny's lives.

ZOMFG! I'm so excited for this weeks episode, simply because Rikki is going to be there... hopefully this whole nonsense with Lindsay can get resolved quickly as well!

It sucks to lose a child, and I can actually see Rikki's reaction as genuine, not because I lost a child, but a sibling. My mother's reaction was quite similar, but my sister wasn't murdered, so my mother just took it out on herself. She hasn't exactly been the same since :( There's no getting over the loss of a child... but their is acceptance and support to get you through.

Faylinn said:
:( They're both so broken.

It's really sad to think of what could be--and what they can probably never have now. Ruben's death was tragic (and senseless :(), and it adds to the tragedy when you think of the ripple effect his death is having on Rikki and Danny's lives.
:( Yeah. Danny's probably much more broken than Rikki is due to all the nasty experiences he's had throughout the entire show. First he's accused of killing an undercover cop, then he gets trapped in a dead billionaire's panic room and briefly becomes the killer's hostage, then his brother Louie gets beaten to the brink of death, then Aiden is raped and murdered, then he becomes a hostage yet again and has his hand broken and ribs possibly fractured, and then a little boy he cared for is killed while under his care. :( Man, Danny, how are you not in a mental institution already? :eek:

When you look at how much he's gone through in just the past two to three years, it's even more significant that he even wants to care about someone else's pain, much less do something to ease it. Yes, Danny does blame himself for Ruben's death and it may be a large part of why he's trying his best to comfort Rikki in the way he knows how, but the fact that he's caring about Rikki and making sure they're on the same page about things says it's way more than just casual grief sex between them.

As Carmine said in his latest interview with CSI Files, it could be the beginning of something, but I guess we'll see what happens this week.

Amanda_Ruth said:
It sucks to lose a child, and I can actually see Rikki's reaction as genuine, not because I lost a child, but a sibling. My mother's reaction was quite similar, but my sister wasn't murdered, so my mother just took it out on herself. She hasn't exactly been the same since :( There's no getting over the loss of a child... but their is acceptance and support to get you through.
I'm sorry to hear about that, Amanda_Ruth. Ruben was Rikki's whole world for so many years, and to lose him just like that certainly tore her up inside. :( So to see on screen Rikki telling Danny that she doesn't blame him for Ruben's death and that it isn't his fault is ... amazing. It truly takes great strength of character for such forgiveness, and I think some part of Danny realizes how rare it is for him to come across such a thing. The only other person I know who's strong that way (and most likely much more so) is Flack, but that's for another thread. ;)

dannyrikki21fv9.jpg

I love their constant eye contact and caresses. :D So sweet and intimate.

*sniff sniff* Oh, you two. :(

The way Rikki touched Danny's face was very sweet and tender--and very intimate. The expression on his face was so sad. :(

It's for the best that Rikki moves, but I still think about the what-ifs. Combine tragedy with Danny continuing to be a moron and, well, wrong place and wrong time for these two, I guess.

Screencaps?

I didn't get to watch this episode. I've been under the weather, but DAMN! Rikki left! I guess it was for the best, she probably did need the closure. Good thing she got so say goodbye to Danny. :D

YES, anyone have caps of the scene?

Thank you so much to Elsie for the screencaps! :D

ny419001900iq5.png

Danny: You're moving?

ny419001946pd9.png

Rikki: You're a sweet man.

Oh, Danny. Oh, Rikki. :(

ny419001956fh1.png

What makes the ending to this scene even sadder is that after he closes the door, he picks up Ruben's memorial pamphlet, goes to sit at his kitchen counter and just stares at it while it rains. :( Considering how teary-eyed he looked when Rikki stroked his face and then walked away, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did cry alone.

Poor guy. :( He probably feels a hundred times worse now. He must be blaming himself for driving Rikki away with the sex they had and feeling even more guilty for causing her even more pain.

What do you guys think about the scene?

Darn! I really wanted to see that scene. The caps are great though :D
Anyone know where I can see that episode?

I think Rikki left before she would cause herself anymore pain. I really don't think having sex with Danny ( or possibly starting something else ;) ) was what drove her away. I'm sure it's very painful for her to be in the city. All the memories of Ruben would be too much for her, It would be for me.

Those are my thought, but again, I haven't seen the episode.

Heheh, chances are, Youtube has a clip of it. :) I'm not sure. Maybe it's on Innertube?

hhunter said:
I think Rikki left before she would cause herself anymore pain. I really don't think having sex with Danny ( or possibly starting something else ;) ) was what drove her away. I'm sure it's very painful for her to be in the city. All the memories of Ruben would be too much for her, It would be for me.

Agreed. After she told Danny she was moving away, she was tearing up and as upset as he was, and she even tried her best to smile at him. :( It was a touching moment.

You must watch that scene! :D It's lovely proof of natural chemistry and good acting.

Thanks Kimmychu :D
I found the episode on YouTube (what isn't on YouTube ? :lol: )

And I finally finished my Danny/Rikki fic. (It's in the fanfiction forum ;) )
I think they had such potential as a couple. She didn't work in the lab, she had a son who adored Danny and he really cared for both of them. It's like they were a very nice little family. Somehow I don't think Danny wouldn't object to taking on Ruben as his 'son'.

Too bad TPTB didn't see how wonderful that would have been for everyone involved. :scream: :rolleyes:

Hopefully we will see more of Rikki in the future. :D

hhunter said:
And I finally finished my Danny/Rikki fic. (It's in the fanfiction forum ;) )
I think they had such potential as a couple. She didn't work in the lab, she had a son who adored Danny and he really cared for both of them. It's like they were a very nice little family. Somehow I don't think Danny wouldn't object to taking on Ruben as his 'son'.
Hurray! A Danny/Rikki story! :D I will go take a look at it soon. I've had a story plot for this ship for some time ... I may write it out some day soon.

I think they had major potential as a couple. I certainly don't agree that just because of what happened it's 'impossible' for them to have a deep and healthy relationship later on. That's just narrow-minded thinking, and life is so much more complex than black-and-white judgements.

Danny being with Rikki would have been good in that she'd be just a recurring character and therefore perfect for glimpses into life in NYC outside of a lab. Like you said, she didn't work in the lab and had a son who adored Danny. Even with Ruben's passing, there was massive potential for showing life in NYC between a CSI/cop and a character who wasn't one and was connected to said CSI/cop on a deep level anyway.

The idea of Danny taking on Ruben as a son is very sweet. :) Although it's impossible for it to happen in canon now, I'm sure in the past Danny and Ruben had spent time together, just like they did during the bike christening and riding/walking together on the streets of NYC.

Too bad TPTB didn't see how wonderful that would have been for everyone involved. :scream: :rolleyes:
Heheh, the way TPTB wrote Rikki's leaving in an open-ended way, there's always the possibility of her returning in the future. :) That's the beauty of it, the memories may be too painful for her for now but that certainly doesn't mean she's determined to never see Danny again. In fact, if the way she teared up and touched his face says anything, she'll be happy to see Danny again one day ... and if the way Danny was so upset at her leaving says anything, he'll be happy to see her again one day too. :)

Quote:
Heheh, the way TPTB wrote Rikki's leaving in an open-ended way, there's always the possibility of her returning in the future. :) That's the beauty of it, the memories may be too painful for her for now but that certainly doesn't mean she's determined to never see Danny again. In fact, if the way she teared up and touched his face says anything, she'll be happy to see Danny again one day ... and if the way Danny was so upset at her leaving says anything, he'll be happy to see her again one day too. :)

I like that idea.

Whilst I wasn't totally sure what they were doing was healthy for either of them, they definitely had something that went beyond mutual grief.

Plus I think Rikki was a fantastically mature (in attitude) woman, I think in that respect she was actually good for Danny, she understood how to communicate, with him and in general about her feelings.

She was honest with him, she actually WENT TO SEE HIM IN PERSON when she was leaving. She let him know where he stood with her and the only other person Danny has that with is Flack and look at how close they are.

It's very telling that TPTB put Danny with someone who depsite her tragic loss and perhaps her anger that sent her off the deep end (in regards to her stealing his gun) could handle her emotions, who understood what she needed to do to move on.

I think if they ever wish to bring Rikki back it would be a good move. Maybe just to show how both of them have moved on from their grief and that the bad times can/of might give way to better ones between them.

I watched Personal Foul yesterday.

I really liked the 'goodbye' scene between Danny/Rikki.
When she showed up at his door, he was torn on whether on not to invite her in. I think she wanted to also. ;) But then she came out and said she was moving. I think Danny's heart broke at that moment. :(
And, when he called her back, and she couldn't take her eyes off of him, it was very touching and again, sad. :(

"You're a sweet man, you keep the sugar." How appropriate was that?

They did leave her departure open ended just so she could come back and visit Danny and it not be too ackward for them.

Sammy11 said:
Whilst I wasn't totally sure what they were doing was healthy for either of them, they definitely had something that went beyond mutual grief.
It wasn't, definitely not in the long run, and it was good to see Danny acknowledge that and even tell Rikki that even though there was the chance him stopping the grief-comfort sex could mean she had no reason to go to him anymore. And yes, I agree they had something that went beyond mutual grief, something deeper that connected them.

Plus I think Rikki was a fantastically mature (in attitude) woman, I think in that respect she was actually good for Danny, she understood how to communicate, with him and in general about her feelings.
Indeed she was, particularly after what she went through. Just her telling Danny in person that it wasn't his fault her son died already said volumes. Danny is the kind of guy who needs someone dependable and strong and honest to turn to, someone he can trust who won't turn things against him to hurt him.

Rikki had all the opportunity to actually use Danny like she claimed to in episode 4x16, and I mean use him in a very negative sense, such as her constantly guilt tripping him and manipulating him into 'making it up to her for his sin'. (Boy, did that just give me a sense of deja vu or what. :p) She knew Danny was feeling guilty and awful about Ruben's passing, and she could have kept quiet about letting him comfort her with sex and allowed him to keep doing it until it spiralled out of control ... but she didn't.

She told him straight out that it wasn't good for them and that she understood what he was doing and why and even made sure he knew she didn't blame him for it. That seriously takes strength of character and a great deal of care for Danny.

She was honest with him, she actually WENT TO SEE HIM IN PERSON when she was leaving. She let him know where he stood with her and the only other person Danny has that with is Flack and look at how close they are.
Exactly. She made the effort to tell him face to face. And verily, it was very good of her to make sure Danny understood where they stood with each other. :) She could very well have just moved out without saying a word but she didn't, and that too speaks volumes.

It's very telling that TPTB put Danny with someone who depsite her tragic loss and perhaps her anger that sent her off the deep end (in regards to her stealing his gun) could handle her emotions, who understood what she needed to do to move on.
It is! And it's even more telling that after everything he went through, she still came off as the more mature, stronger one! :eek: :lol: So much potential, so much of it lost.

I think if they ever wish to bring Rikki back it would be a good move. Maybe just to show how both of them have moved on from their grief and that the bad times can/of might give way to better ones between them.
Her return is very possible. Ya wanna know what would make me laugh my ass off?

Rikki returning next season to tell Danny she's pregnant with his baby. :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: That would be priceless! (Ya gotta wonder if Danny used protection if he was so desperate to comfort Rikki with sex, ya know? :eek:)

hhunter said:
When she showed up at his door, he was torn on whether on not to invite her in. I think she wanted to also. ;) But then she came out and said she was moving. I think Danny's heart broke at that moment. :(
ny419001946pd9.png

A picture can speak a thousand words, can't it?

*sniff* Poor Danny. :(

And, when he called her back, and she couldn't take her eyes off of him, it was very touching and again, sad. :(
ny419001924.png

You can see her eyes are as teared up as his. It wasn't easy either for her to say goodbye to him. Her soft, sweet smile just made it all the more poignant. :(

They did leave her departure open ended just so she could come back and visit Danny and it not be too ackward for them.
It would be lovely to see them connect again in the future. :D

(Thank you to Elsie for the screencaps!)

*Sigh* This ship had so much potential. She would have been good for Danny. I think they would have wound up together regardless of what happened to Ruben. That tragic event just brought them together all that much faster.

I do like the idea that she didn't say they weren't going to see each other. She just said she was moving. That doesn't mean like you guys said, that she won't come back to the city.

Wouldn't that be great if they accidently bumped into each other?

Again...ahhh the potential :D

Back