Character development or lack there of?

I know I've said this in other places, but I think it bears repeating. I big mistake I think Miami makes is to underuse their labrats. Tyler and Dan Cooper were really good characters, and I think they had some halfway storylines here and there (No, I don't count the disaster called "Ambush/All In" :scream:) But then Tyler just disappeared with no explanation. There was Cynthia Wells and another tech; can't remember his name. Maxine Valera had maybe one storyline, sort of, in "Internal Affairs". I believe she did a great job in that one.

Now Dave Benton and Michael Travers are there maybe once in a blue moon. I'd be willing to bet they could carry some storylines if given the chance. I know that NY has given Adam and Sid some good storylines; Hodges, Wendy, Archie, and the other tech have had some good epis in Vegas.

Much as we Rick Stetler fans were glad to see him back for his customary two minutes (Hostile Takeover was a party for us! :drool:), I'm not holding my breath for them to bring him back. I think they introduced him primarily for the Horatio/Yelina/Stetler love triangle, but he was just such a good character they kept him on. In fact, I remember Rick saying in Hostile Takeover that he was "SOC", which I'm guessing is Security Operations Commander, but in the later epis they still had him doing IAB stuff as though that were still his function. Have they made up their minds yet?

I agree; Delko was great in the beginning. He was funny; his character was well-developed and understandable. He spoke Russian, did underwater recovery, flew helicopters, and I'm sure after taking a bullet in the brain he could do at least a few of those things, but in S6 and S7 he just seemed to have this sad, confused look and worried about how Calleigh felt about him.

I also agree about Natalia. She was revealed to be the mole, but now they don't seem to know what to do with her.

Is it me, or did they abandon some good, solid characters for flashiness? Whatever happened to Calleigh's dad? Duke DuQuesne was a good, solid character, and I bet he would've taken Delko's case pro bono, but no, they had to bring in P-Diddy, or whatever his name was. I still haven't seen that episode, and probably won't.

IMO tprb has done a dis-service to both Calleigh and Eric: I loved both characters in the earlier seasons. Eric (even though he was a womanizer) was someone who was funny with great depth of character. Calleigh was a stong independant woman; who was upbeat for the most part. Now I don't recognize either character.

The team aspect over the past few seasons has suffered. I beleive it took a significant hit with the death of Speed. With Speed's death and the introduction of Ryan to the team; there was some resentment aimed at Ryan (from Eric mostly) for what was perceived as Ryan taking over Speed's place. Understandable as it were; Ryan wasn't the one who killed Speed. However, IMO there has been strides in re-establishing the team again.

From the first moment Ryan was introduced to Miami I felt this was going to get interesting; and he has not disappointed me. TPTB has a talented actor they seem to forget exists. Every now and then they give him something to do and then there he goes into the background again. We know very little about his background; there is so much more potential for this amazing actor. Maybe tptb doesn't want to give everything away about Ryan; they want to keep an air of mystery about his past. IDK.

Earlier this season I had the feeling they were trying to replace H with Jesse; due to the over-the-top antics the writers had Jesse involved in. Since then they are returning to who H is and toning down Jesse a bit; allowing him to settle in and develope the team relationships with Walter and Ryan.

Poor Frank and Natalia get very little to do. But, tptb appear to be working on that as well.

Next year is anybody's guess. I have my own opinions; but I will keep those to myself.

Florry86, thank you for the excellent summary of the characters and how they have changed through the years. I couldn't figure out what was bothering me about them and you described it perfectly! Regarding Jon/Ryan, IMHO Jon is fully committed to the end of the show because this role is his career maker and it doesn't appear he is getting alot of other offers anyway. Stability is key for a young actor in this industry. Besides Ryan is too popular with the fans to let go. Ryan is a fresh slate with endless possibilities for his character to develop. On the other hand, Eric and Calleigh have had a thorough venting of their characters, like it or not, and IMHO if they left I wouldn't be upset.

Florry86, thank you for the excellent summary of the characters and how they have changed through the years. I couldn't figure out what was bothering me about them and you described it perfectly!
Wow! I never thought that my post could be that useful :lol:

Regarding Jon/Ryan, IMHO Jon is fully committed to the end of the show because this role is his career maker and it doesn't appear he is getting alot of other offers anyway. Stability is key for a young actor in this industry. Besides Ryan is too popular with the fans to let go.
I'm quite sure that Miami would loose many viewers along with Ryan (that's for sure, IMO), yet I do think that Ryan Wolfe is expandable to TPTB. Same thing for Jonathan Togo. Also I can't picture the guy being commited to this show till the end knowing this might be his last great opportunity in terms of career. Don't get me wrong, he's talented and right because he's talented I just don't want him to end his career because of the show or on the show. He can play many many other roles somewhere else and I do think that as an actor he should try new options, new things. But oh well I'm not Jonathan Togo or TPTB and I shouldn't decide for them :p

Ryan is a fresh slate with endless possibilities for his character to develop. On the other hand, Eric and Calleigh have had a thorough venting of their characters, like it or not, and IMHO if they left I wouldn't be upset.
I wouldn't be upset either, but with Adam Rodriguez's returng, I highly doubt the other will have any decent storyline. Well I highly doubt anyone will have a decent storyline :rolleyes:

Ajbuckly, please, delete some of your PMs otherwise I can't reply to you ;)

Why does everyone feel that Jonathan is so expendable? TPTB seems to be giving him more screetime than he had at the beginning of the season. Even with Adam's return I don't think Jon is going anywhere. As for him not getting any offers for other projects, we don't know that. I know that he has a part in the upcoming Spider Man 4. It seems to me that most parts (not all) given to series regulars; such as the cast of Miami are small parts. This is in part due to the long hours and contractual obligations they have with the show. Their summer hiatus seems to be the best time for them to do other things; due to the length of time off.

I don't think Jonathan is expendable,he is one of the few remaining reasons I still watch the show,but who knows what TPTB think really.Maybe people are really wondering how committed TPTB are to Jonathan/Ryan.
Where did you hear about the Spiderman part? I'm glad to hear it though.

Why does everyone feel that Jonathan is so expendable? TPTB seems to be giving him more screetime than he had at the beginning of the season.
Actually, I am not seeing I am not seeing him getting more screentime than he had previously. He certianly has some more scenes, but they, at least IMHO, don't count as proper scene. I mean a scene with Ryan telling a suspect to turn around so that he could take a picture of him....that isn't a proper scene...at least to me. That's what I've been seeing in the last episodes. Than in every episodes he gets a moment, that's for sure, but it's always a couple of minuts of a proper scene in an episode ;).
I don't know it's just that I used to see him treated in a "better" way.

As for him not getting any offers for other projects, we don't know that. I know that he has a part in the upcoming Spider Man 4.
Actually I heard that it has been cancelled so I guess no Jon in that movie. Though he can still be part of the other movie they're making from the Spiderman saga :confused:. BTW greatfan he was supposed to play one of the lizard men :lol: *ew* :lol:

It seems to me that most parts (not all) given to series regulars; such as the cast of Miami are small parts. This is in part due to the long hours and contractual obligations they have with the show. Their summer hiatus seems to be the best time for them to do other things; due to the length of time off.
That's right, still I feel that, at least to TPTB, he seems to be put aside from the rest of the team, I mean Ryan, Walter and Jesse can be the new 3 stooges, but he still doesn't have a strong connection with the "main" characters.

I don't know I'd rather see him doing something more useful, playing a key role both in this show or another one. I just don't want to see his talent get wasted as it is right now :p

I've heard the movie was delayed,not cancelled. One site states it's to be released in 2011,the other 2012.

Last edited:
I've heard the movie was delayed,not cancelled. One site states it's to be released in 2011,the other 2012.
Spiderman 4 has been cancelled and it was supposed to be ready for 2011. But the production decided to do something about Peter Parker when he was very young and had yet to disciover his power...that movie is due to air in 2012 ;)

Ups I'm sooo OT :alienblush: sorry everyone ;)

^^
Thanks for the info Flo. I've only seen the 1st Spiderman. I would have gone to see the 4th,but only if Jon were in it.
Perhaps something else will come along for Jon .I can see him doing comedy very well.

^^
Thanks for the info Flo.
Perhaps something else will come along for Jon .I can see him doing comedy very well.
You're welcome. Oh yeah I so can picure him on some comedy ;)

Back on topic, since we're quite complaining about what is going on with our characters, I've got a question: what do you think would be a good character development? What should TPTB create for our characters?

Personally I would love to see what makes Ryan tick. Why he is so competitive? Why when he is getting knocked around by other team members; he doesn't stand up for himself? And why he is so fiercly loyal; even to those who aren't to him? Just some thoughts.

I want to know a little more about his family. I supect it may not be what we think. Maybe he comes from money. Maybe a family of criminals; his uncle is a safecracker afterall. TPTB could put some unique spins on his background.

Ditto on Ryan.Wanted to know more about his family dynamics.I always wondered if he had a father that was overly critical,or a perfect sibling and he lived in their shadow,or if a competive atmosphere is what he grew up up with,even his birth order.He was in the process of getting a Master's Degree when he was introduced,did he ever get it? We know Jon plays several musical instruments,why not have him show some musical talent in the show(like Gary Sinise does) What exactly does he feel about his co workers, and the huge loyalty he has for them.
Would like to know a lot about Natalia also.She is very compassionate on the show,is her character active in different charities(as the actress is) In season 4,I believe it was indicated that she lived in an upscale neighborhood,would like to know more about that.
Would like to see loose ends tied up,Horatio and Julia for instance,is Julia still institutionalized?
What really happened after "Wolfe in Sheep's Clothing"? I assume that Calleigh and Eric found out enough of what Ryan went through because they were able to work with him again,but how did they really feel about what went on? If this were NY for instance,there would have been some mention and emotions shown by at least someone else on the team.
For the team as a whole,I would like to see a case that maybe last for a good deal of the season,like the ones we see from the other CSI's,LV and NY,and have the team a a whole be involved.

Last edited:
what do you think would be a good character development? What should TPTB create for our characters?

I agree with the above replies- I would love to see some background for Ryan. We know so little that there are so many possibilities here (and some good ones have been mentioned.) I would like to see something that doesn't involve the character screwing up.
That seems to be a big problem with the character development on this show- they dont develop, they go through the same things over and over (eg. Calleigh is in danger yet again, yawn) and it doesnt change anything. They could at least have some follow through. As Greatfan writes, it would have been good to see some ramafications from WISC.

I also agree with Jag Lady about actually using the labrats on this show. Do something different.

Back