Celebrity News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: TvGuide Online

Mariska Hargitay Blames NBC and Jay Leno Show for Lower SVU Ratings

Conan O'Brien isn't the only who has a bone to pick with NBC.

"It ruined our numbers," Law & Order: Special Victims Unit star Mariska Hargitay told More magazine of The Jay Leno Show. Leno's showbumped her series to 9 o'clock from its longtime 10 o'clock time slot. "The first four episodes, we were considerably down because nobody knew when the show was on. Finally, we're starting to find our audience again."

The show's new season premiered to 8.35 million viewers and a 2.5 rating in the 18-to-49 demo last September. A year earlier, Law & Order: SVU's season premiere attracted 9.7 million and a 3.8 rating.

Hargitay was interviewed before NBC's announcement that Leno's show would move out of prime time on Feb. 12. The Emmy winner told the magazine she hoped "we go back to where we belong. It was doing so well. Why mess with it?"

NBC now agrees. The peacock network will move Law & Order: SVU to Wednesdays at 10/9 starting March 3 but also continue to air repeats at 9/8c.

Well Mariska is entitled to her opinions as we all are, but to me that's absurd. Lets blame the economy, health care and maybe the devastating earthquakes on Jay. How about you record one, and watch the other? The ratings on L&O have nothing to do at all with this debacle. Maybe David Caruso and Gary Sinise will jump on this band wagon too. Their opposite him on Mon. and Wed.:rolleyes: He will come out on top when all is said and done, it's just too bad that NBC decided to do go this nasty route, and didn't stand up for either one of these hosts:(

Last edited:
NBC: Conan O'Brien reaches $45M exit deal

NEW YORK – NBC said Thursday it has reached a $45 million deal with Conan O'Brien for his exit from the "Tonight" show, allowing Jay Leno to return to the late-night program he hosted for 17 years.

Under the deal, which came seven months after O'Brien took the reins from Leno, O'Brien will get more than $33 million, NBC said. The rest will go to his staff in severance, the network said in an announcement on the "Today" show.

His final show will be Friday, and Leno will return to "Tonight" on March 1.

"In the end, Conan was appreciative of the steps NBC made to take care of his staff and crew, and decided to supplement the severance they were getting out of his own pocket," his manager, Gavin Polone, told The Wall Street Journal. "Now he just wants to get back on the air as quickly as possible."

For More Click Here

^I read that earlier and almost died. Basically the way it's working out for him is that he's being paid $45M to leave "tonight" and NBC, and will most likely be picked up by FOX network, doing the same show by another name getting paid nearly the same salary as NBC was offering. I hope someday in the future NBC will realize how badly they've messed up. Anyways good for Conan, and Jay they both seem to have made the best of a horrible situation. :bolian:

Might as well focus on Haiti in the mist of all of this:
Leonardo DiCaprio has donated $1M out of his pocket to Haiti.
Leonardo DiCaprio has a big wallet and an even bigger heart. The actor has generously donated $1 million to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. The money donated will support near-term assistance and long-term recovery efforts.

I would also just like to remind everybody to watch "Hope for Haiti" tonight, hosted by George Clooney with many celebrity guests. Also, if you're in Canada there's a "Canada for Haiti" special on tonight with appearences by influential Canadians such as Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean are scheduled to deliver messages to Canadians, while Canadian bands like the Tragically Hip and K'naan will perform live. Other (Canadian) people scheduled to make appearences include:

• Musical acts Nelly Furtado, Measha Brueggergosman, Justin Bieber, Céline Dion, Sarah McLachlan, Barenaked Ladies, David Foster, Chantal Kreviazuk, Raine Maida and Simple Plan.
  • Directors James Cameron, Jason Reitman and Norman Jewison.
  • Actors William Shatner, Joshua Jackson, Pamela Anderson, Eugene Levy, Sandra Oh, Tom Jackson, Ryan Reynolds, Michael J. Fox, Rachelle Lefevre, Will Arnett, Hugh Dillon and Brent Butt.
  • TV personalities Mike Holmes, Rick Mercer and Alex Trebek.
  • Sports stars Wayne Gretzky and Steve Nash.
  • Humanitarian Craig Kielburger.

So Leno is back to where he started from, I knew it:bolian: and on Connan's 'payoff', hell I'd walk for $1 million. That's alot of moolah. He'll probably get picked up by another network down the line. And it's awesome that celebrities are donating and doing this concert for those poor souls in Haiti, I hope they can rebuild and eventually get back to where it was before this tragedy:(

*Mischa Barton's landlord says the actress is refuding to pay rent on her $7,000 a month apartment in New York City. Landlord M.R.A, Realities Inc., says in a lawsuit that barton rebuffed efforts to collect the last 3 months worht of rent on her flat in the trendy Tribeca neighborhood. The landlord wants Barton to pay the rent and the legal fees. Barton, 23, also lives in Los Angeles. The lawsuit filed Thursday says her one-year lease on the Manhattan apartment began in September~

*Cher's Hawaii home overlooking the ocean has been sold to an Arizona buyer for a reported $8.7 million. Concierge Auctions said Thursday that the home was one of five Big Island residences auctioned Monday for a total of $19.4 milliion. The firm had estimated Cher's three-quarter-acre property was worth between $8 million and $12 million. The 8,800-square-foot Balinese style residence includes a infinity pool with a spa overlooking the resorts golf course~

NEWS SERVICES

So Leno is back to where he started from, I knew it:bolian: and on Connan's 'payoff', hell I'd walk for $1 million. That's alot of moolah. He'll probably get picked up by another network down the line. And it's awesome that celebrities are donating and doing this concert for those poor souls in Haiti, I hope they can rebuild and eventually get back to where it was before this tragedy:(

Donations are big yay, but who really remembered Haiti before this? It's one of the poorest countries in the world and lots of people living in poverty and chaos (the poorest and the least developed on the western side of the globe and)
They'd need to get further than just to the place where it was before - but of course that's good start.

I donated little as well, just like did with tsunami few years ago.

As for Conan... I am sory but I always laugh at the money that huge. Srsly? 33mil... geez. Donating some for Haiti? :p

Anyways, I guess this was only solution and Conan getting new start somewhere else (Fox probably) and NBC can settle it's timeslots.

I also find Mariska's comments funny... If people really watch your show, they do so and if they cannot, they choose or tape the other one and at least for me, it's always weird to watch Late Night shows later on ;)

But howcome she can blame it on this? I mean, SVU is running its... 11th season? Perhaps it's really going down.. it tends to happen to all shows... ER, original L&O

As for Conan, more details of his negotiation with NBC have emerged. From the minute his last show ended until September 1, 2010, he is not allowed to say a word about NBC or any of their programming whether it be positive or negative. He is also not allowed to work, or host another show until September the first. FOX will most likely pick him up to run a late show by another name (basically his same antics as on Late Night or Tonight Show) Conan's exit deal consists of a $45m payout from NBC, and his supporting staff will receive $12m in severence pay (this includes Andy Richter; Conan's co-host). Conan has said that part of the $45m will be going from his own pocket to the staff who he believes deserve a higher pay out.

It's also been reported he has made a generous donation to Haiti (as if we could've expected anything less, he's been advocating in on his show these final days)

Jay Leno will (re)take over the Tonight Show March 1, 2010. On Conan's final episode he made a speech (where he almost broke down crying) stating that he wanted no cynisme over the changes, and offered nothing but support for Leno; however predictions are already grim over the drop in ratings expected for Leno. NBC should already be kicking themselves over the group of over 2 million people who are adamant on boycotting the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, therefore backfiring NBCs original goal of generally higher ratings which started the ball rolling in the first place. :cardie:

I'm personally one of the people who won't be watching the Tonight Show anymore, simply because I've never liked Jay Leno, but an official boycott is a little over the line IMO ... all the groups facebook has recently aquired promoting a boycott also add up to over a million. NBCs plan is basically backfiring before it's even begun.

I'm sure that both hosts will or have donated $$$ to the Haiti fund, they've got it, and I will watch Jay wherever and whatever time he's on. I love him, and his style and his whole format. He's the funniest, genuine, charming and most appealing to me. And he beat Letterman out in the ratings for 15 years and will continue to. GO JAY:bolian:

David Arquette Responds To NYT's Comments About Wife's Weight Gain

David Arquette has a response for the New York Times blogger who suggested that his wife showed up at the Golden Globes carrying a bit of extra weight.

"I don't think that has anything to do with anything. Writing articles about people that put on weight is just wasting space for real news," he told Fox News' Pop Tarts. "And who really cares? I love round people, I love skinny people. I love people in general; we've got to get past labels and stop being so critical about everything."

Last week the NYT ran a picture of Courteney Cox at the Golden Globes along with her and Arquette's friend Jennifer Aniston and Kate Hudson and asked what the three lovely ladies had in common. The answer: "You could definitely see the difference if you concentrated solely on the upper arms."

On Courtney Cox, I saw her, and to me she was as thin as a rail:confused:

*Keifer Sutherland was among cattle customers roped into an alleged scam that netted more than a million dollars. Prosecutors say Michael Wayne Carr, of Linden, CA. had agreements to buy steers in Mexico for his customers and sell them for profit in the U.S.. Carr allegedly took $869,000 from Sutherland, star of the FOX TV show "24" and $177,000 from a New Mexico couple. Prosecutors say there's no record Carr ever bought the steers. They also say Carr sold steers that didn't belong to him. If convicted on all charges he faces 18 years in prison~

*Jason Timberlake will soon have a new piece of hardware for his torphy case--a pudding pot. The Grammy and Emmy award winner was named Harvard's Hasty Pudding Man Of The Year on Tuesday. Timberlake will receive the award at a roast set for Feb. 5~

*Anne Hathaway was named Hasty Pudding Woman Of The Year earlier this month~

*John Travolta is soaring to Haiti with earthquake relief. The 55-year old actor and avid pilot flew one of his private jets from Florida to Haiti on Monday night, according to Travolta's spokesman, Paul Bloch. The "Grease" star was joined by his actress-wife Kelly Preston, several doctors and Church of Scientology ministers, as well as relief supplies. Travolta and Preston then were to return to the U.S.. He took his first flying lesson when he was 15~

NEWS SERVICES~

From TV Guide online:

Rip Torn Charged with Bank Break-In
Jan 30, 2010 07:22 PM ET
by Kate Stanhope

Rip Torn has been charged with breaking into a Connecticut bank and carrying a loaded firearm while intoxicated, The Associated Press reports.

Police say the Emmy-winning actor, 78, was arrested Friday after police found him inside a Litchfield Bancorp in Salisbury, Conn., drunk with a loaded revolver, according to the news agency. Torn was arrested, and charges against him include burglary and possession of a fireman without a permit. (Note: Copied and pasted exactly the way TVGuide.com had it posted.)

Most recently seen on 30 Rock as fictional General Electric chief Don Geiss, Torn is currently being held on $100,000 bond and is set to appear in court Monday, the AP reports.

The arrest was Torn's third in four years. In December 2006, he was arrested for drunk driving and hitting a tractor trailer and later had his license suspended for 90 days and paid a fine. He was charged with a second DUI in December 2008 and sentenced to probation in May of 2009.

* Legendary author J.D. Salinger died on January 27, 2010 of natural causes. He was 91. He was best known for his novel The Catcher in the Rye

* Michael Jackson's children are confirmed to be speaking at the upcoming Grammy Awards, and are rumoured to be putting on a performance in honor of their father.

*George Stephanopoulos has learned that he may be genetically linked to U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Stephanopoulous, co-anchor of ABC News' "Good Morning America", underwent DNA testing to promote "Faces of America With Henry Louis Gates Jr." a 4-part series on family histories premiering Feb. 10 on PBS. Stephanopoulos, 48, learned the possibility of his link to Clinton during Friday's "GMA" show. "You are very likely a maternal cousin with Hillary Clinton", Gates told him~

*Roy Oribison the late rock 'n' roller pioneer has been honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame. Orbison's widow Barbara accepted the star in front of the Capital Records building on his behalf on Friday. Orbison died in 1988 at the age of 52, in the midst of a comeback with "The Traveling Wilbury's" Eric Idle, Chris Isaak, Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh and Dwight Yokam attended the ceremony to honor his career. Orbison was famous for his wide range of distinctive and emotional voice, especially in his songs about unrequited love like "Only The Lonely", "Crying" "In Dreams" and "Oh, Pretty Woman"

NEWS SERVICES

* Legendary author J.D. Salinger died on January 27, 2010 of natural causes. He was 91. He was best known for his novel The Catcher in the Rye
Hello, there is a thread for Celebs that pass away its called "The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread" and this one is already in there. ;) Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back