CBS Releases Details For All 3 'CSI' Finales

Oh really? So you don't notice the bump between 12.62 and 13.50 and the others? Why do we need the "either side"? I think I'm done here.

Oh really? So you don't notice the bump between 12.62 and 13.50 and the others? Why do we need the "either side"? I think I'm done here.

There's a bump, but in the overall picture of the season it's not significant. You aren't counting the difference between 15/14 million and 12/13 million but, of course, those high rating episodes don't count when you're trying to say DL makes the ratings spike. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm just talking about the bumps, in the first place.

And why are you bringing 15/14 million? I just made myself clear about what bumps are. Not necessarily the highest, but the high between the lows.

If there were 15/14 million between the D/L episodes I won't argue with you.

Last edited:
Ok, so a jump from 12.62 to 13.50 and so on isn't noticeable? It's not my fault if didn't notice it. I'm sorry. I think I made myself clear.

And you can't see that because you're not neutral.

Obviously I know which number is higher, so it's "noticeable" in that sense. It's not significant when looking at the season's ratings as a whole, however.

You're not looking at the episodes that had higher ratings than the "DL heavy" episodes and you're also ignoring one of the biggest DL episodes that had lower ratings than the other three. That is not what someone who is "neutral" does. I know I've made myself clear repeatedly.

Ratings are odd. Sometimes they fluctuate for no reason that we can tell. Other times they dip when the competition is airing a particularly big episode (although I'd say SVU is NY's biggest competition, and it's already had a lasting effect given that the latest episode was low as hell and wasn't even on up against a new episode of SVU). It's great when they go up, but it's not always clear why. Sometimes guest stars or Event episodes (such as "Green Piece" and the ~wedding~) give the show a temporary spike, but you can't have super special guest stars and Event episodes every week - the show needs consistently higher ratings, not just a little bump here and there (which is not always caused by one particular character/ship/etc). But I digress.

"Green Piece" had a decent bump from the previous episode, and the following episode had a decent drop, but as I said, that was an Event episode. It was hyped all over the place and probably got a good number of curious lookie-loos checking out the show - the fact that most of them didn't stay is unfortunate. Higher ratings for one episode is great, but it doesn't help the average too very much when they don't stay high.

So yeah, I know what I'm saying but I got off track somewhere. *cough* Yes, some DL-heavy episodes have experienced bumps in the ratings, just as other Event type episodes have. It's the overall ratings I'm concerned with - and they certainly are worthy of concern lately. Less than 11 million viewers two weeks in a row? Yikes! Hopefully the finale gets a boost, but it's the ratings in September I'm more worried about (especially if they move NY to a different timeslot).

I doubt all-DL, all-the-time would make the show suddenly more popular, unless it became a completely different type of show that attracted a different kind of audience - which would be good for some and bad for others, but that's neither here nor there. I don't think they'll kill Danny or Lindsay (or Lucy or anybody else, for that matter, unless Shane dies in the finale or the premiere), but I also don't think that decision is based on whether the ship is considered a ratings grab. *shrug*

Hopefully some of that made sense? :shifty: I'm not trying to derail the thread or the conversation or anything like that, I'm just running my mouth (or my fingers, as the case may be). I just want everybody to get alooooong! *whine* ;)

(BTW, my personal opinion is that "Green Piece" got a bump because Adam saved Bobby Gant. But YMMV, of course. :p)

Ok, bumps! I'm not "not looking" at the highest. That's why I just said bumps! I didn't say D/L episodes had the highest ratings last season. Ok. Ok. Not the highest, just bumps.

Last edited:
"Green Piece" had a decent bump from the previous episode, and the following episode had a decent drop, but as I said, that was an Event episode. It was hyped all over the place and probably got a good number of curious lookie-loos checking out the show - the fact that most of them didn't stay is unfortunate. Higher ratings for one episode is great, but it doesn't help the average too very much when they don't stay high.

This is clearly my point. I don't know why someone else can't understand that.

This is clearly my point. I don't why someone else can't understand that.

Maybe because that isn't anywhere close to anything you said. :rolleyes:

Because you can't understand. :)

I said to you compare the ratings before and after Green Piece to it. :)

You wasn't the one with the problem? You can't understand by just looking at the numbers. It took you a novel-long post to understand. :) Good night. I'll be back tomorrow if you still have trouble undertanding the difference between bumps and highs.

U gaiiiiiiz! :lol:

First of all - that was so not a novel-long post. I have been known to make them much longer. (In fact, I think this one is longer?) T'was long, yes, but in my defense, I was responding to a topic that had been the focus of a number of back-and-forth posts. :p

Second of all, getting to the point at hand...

To summarize/re-iterate my previous post (with perhaps an addition or two, or perhaps not): Event episodes can cause a bump in the ratings. Some of those Event episodes on NY have included DL (like the wedding in "Green Piece" and the baby in "The Greater Good"), and others didn't (like "My Name Is Mac Taylor", which was all about the stunt casting and brought in 2.3 million more viewers than the previous episode). Sometimes DL causes a spike in ratings, sometimes it doesn't*. Sometimes special guest stars cause a spike in ratings, sometimes they don't. It's not unusual for an episode to fluctuate a half-million viewers (or more) up or down from the previous episode for any number of reasons.

* And seriously, even if it's a draw for viewers, they can't get married or have a kid all of the time to bring in extra viewers who might not tune in for anything else - just like they can't include a ton of guest stars every week a la "My Name is Mac Taylor" to bring in some extra viewers who might not have tuned in otherwise. Extra viewers are great and all, but they're not doing a whole helluva lot of good for the show's ratings as a whole if they only come for big name guest stars or the birth of 'the first CSI baby'. The show needs consistently good ratings, not constant ups and downs. (And yes, I know I'm repeating myself.)

But I digress.

Geeno said some DL-heavy episodes caused a bump in ratings, which is true. PerfectAnomaly said those bumps didn't constitute a major upward shift in the ratings for the season as a whole, which is also true. I basically said both things, which are both true. PerfectAnomaly didn't deny the bumps, and Geeno didn't deny that the overall ratings stayed the same. Nobody is stupid or unwilling to face the facts, you're just looking at the same information with slightly different perspectives - which is perfectly fine. TalkCSI would be boring if nobody came at things from different angles.

I'm not saying the conversation shouldn't continue if anybody wants it to, but there's no need to argue with each other or get snippy or insult each other's intelligence (or our post size *sniff sniff* ;)). At this point everybody is going in circles, and it seems pointless to take jabs at each other. Discussion and/or debate is always cool, but I think we've gone past that point now.

Now, let's all hug it out, y/n? :D

vlcsnap-2010-03-15-18h29m55s74.png

Last edited:
I have what may be a silly question,but I don't know the answer so I'll ask anyway.
When exactly is "Sweeps Week"? I know it occurs (I think) sometime in May and before the finale,but when?Which episodes are considered "Sweep" episodes?

I have what may be a silly question,but I don't know the answer so I'll ask anyway.
When exactly is "Sweeps Week"? I know it occurs (I think) sometime in May and before the finale,but when?Which episodes are considered "Sweep" episodes?

I don't think that there is "Sweeps Week".

It's called ''May sweeps'' and this years' ''May sweeps'' will start on April 29 and will end on May 26.

Last edited:
^^
Thanks.I thought there was just a special episode that was targeted or promoted as a "sweep" episode or story.

Back