BASEBALL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Charisma, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

1. The CW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ABC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Well it's been a few days since we updated so lets see what's going on :)

Toronto only managed to take 1 of 3 from Tampa Bay and that was the opener. At least the Jays didn't get blown away like they have in the past but the bats are still having problems. They only managed 6 runs in 3 games :eek: Note to batters you need to bat cause the pitchers can't do it all. And speaking of pitchers the Jays had a Canadian make his major league debut yesterday. Scott Richmond of North Vancouver B.C. went 5 and a third innings and gave up 3 runs. Matt Stairs from Fredericton N.B. is also on the team and it marked the first time in team history that 2 Canadians were on the Jays starting line up :)

In other Jays news catcher Greg Zaun wants out of Toronto as he feels he's lost his starting catchers job to Rod Barajas. Infielder Aaron Hill has been placed on the 60 day DL and will likely be gone for the season. He's still suffer from post concussion problems steming from the concussion he suffered back in May. The Jays are still without outfielder Vernon Wells. He's out with a hamstring problem and it will probably be another 3 weeks before he's back.

The Jays are off today but head to Texas for a weekend series. Pitching match up are schedule to be Marcum vs TBA; Burnett vs Feldman; and Purcey vs Mendoza.

Now let's see if I can help Destiny with her Cleveland update :)

The Tribe lost last night to Detroit 14 to 12 in 13 innings. The 2 teams combined for 41 hits and 6, yes that correct 6 erros. That is sloppy playing. Cleveland had 4 of those errors :eek:

On a nice Cleveland touch former pitcher CC Sabathia place an ad in Cleveland's newspaper The Plain Dealer thanking the community and his fans for showing their support in his 10 years of playing in Cleveland :) Now that's what I call a nice touch :)

Cleveland is having an afternoon game with the Tigers today Verlander vs Carmona. They then are onto Minnesota for the weekend.

In other baseball news catcher Ivan 'Pudge' Rodriguez has been traded to the New York Yankees. This occured after Rodriguez waved his no deal clause and Yankee cather Jorga Posada had season ending shoulder surgery.

Go Jays and Tribe :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Well we split the series today. Tribe won it 9-4 now we move on to play the twins again.

Last nights game break down combined:
    Tribe: 12 - Tigers: 14
    5 hrs, 33 mins.
    13 innings
    113 AB
    26 Runs
    41 hits
    23 RBI's
    16 BB
    55 LOB
    526 Pitches
    329 Stikes
    197 Balls
    14 Pitchers
    132 Batters faced
    16 dozen Baseballs used (Average four dozen used)

Noteables From the Indians blog:
    When today's game starts, 11 hours, 24 minutes will have elapsed between last night's last pitch and today's first pitch

You already know Kelly Shoppach became the sixth player in the modern era to notch five extra-base hits in a game. But Shoppach was the first catcher to achieve the feat.

According to Elias, Shoppach had as many extra-base hits last night as Victor Martinez had in his last 31 games before landing on the disabled list.

Also according to Elias, the Indians and Tigers have now gone to extra innings with each other 198 times. But last night was the first time the two clubs each had 12 runs after nine innings. The previous high was on Sept. 7, 1950, in Detroit, when it was 11-11 after nine. That game ended in a 13-13 tie.

Speaking of class, yesterday I neglected to mention the ad Sabathia placed in The Plain Dealer sports section. It was a (near) full-page ad from Sabathia and his family, thanking the Cleveland community for 10 great years. According to the PD, Sabathia paid $12,870 for the ad.
    "It was worth it," Sabathia said. "I had been there 10 years, and I felt like I should say thanks to some people."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

4. Destiny

All I can say is that I am tired of hearing the saying "Manny's just being Manny" as if that excuses him from anything and everything.

Also I updated the count above. I forgot to add in amount of pitchers. :)

5. Jacquie

I saw in one of the papers here that Ramirez was likely to be traded to the Marlins, so this is a surprise to see him doing to the Dodgers. I'm also surprised to see that Pittsburgh traded Jason Bay in this deal.

In other trade news Ken Griffey Jr has accepted a trade to the Chicago White Sox to try and help them in their pennant race

Ken Griffey Jr traded to the White Sox

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  6. Destiny

Okay then lets see

Game one: Tribe 1 - Twins 4
    Game two: Tribe 5 - Twins 1

Okay how funny is this article? "Manny Ready to follow the rules" so how long will this last I wonder.

Oh and anyone needing a good laugh try this site, "Onion Sports" its loaded with some funny made up stories. I love the "CC Sabathia, Prince Fielder Keep imagining each other as giant talking hot dog, hamburger." When I first read this I was laughing so hard, and its on all different teams.

GO T & J :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  7. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

LOL...that is hilarious Destiny. A little humor is always a good thing!

As For Manny, I never really liked him, so I am happy that he's now with the National league. Not that I hate him..he's a decent player, I'm just not with the attitude he carries. Anyway, as the article said and I wonder too..just how long will the man follow the rules before getting bored or reverting back to his old ways and do something completely off the wall?

As for Jason Bay, it seems that the Boston fans are already in love with the guy which is good...and he has not disappointed, belting a three run shot in the bottom of the 1st inning yesterday, and I believe it was a solo blast in his first appearance. I hope the guy does well in Beantown. He'll be fun to watch when the Jays play against him again. To bad Toronto couldn't nab him for their own, but oh well.

8. Destiny

Thanks DJ, and btw anyone reading that site do not drink anything you never know what might happen. :D

Game one: Tribe 1 - Twins 4
    Game two: Tribe 5 - Twins 1
    Game three: Tribe 2 - Twins 6

Upside we each got out of the 1 catagory, the downside I hate domes lol.

Next up for the Tribe... Tampa Bay (ouch another dome), Then the Jays (please open your dome lol)

Pitching matchups for TB/Tribe game
    Game 1: Lee vs Garza
    Game 2: Fausto vs Jackson
    Game 3: Sowers vs Kazmir

9. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Are there any Twins fans about? I'm really pleased at the year they're having :D

I had a pen pal as an elementary student and she kept calling me Hunter (my last name), so I think his family (American "last) name is Ichiro and his given name (American "first") is Suzuki. But that's really just a guess.

10. Jacquie

Sorry I'm not a Twin fan but will a Blue Jay fan work :)

Jacqui without the 'e' :) it's mostly Destiny and I filling in the gaps for the Jays and Indians but by all means fill in the updates for the Twins. More baseball fans the merry :)

The Jays did win last night :) 6-1 over the A's :) Doc got the win. Tonight Scott Richmond for the Jays vs ?Smith for the A's.

For Cleveland Carmona vs Jackson in Tampa Bay.

11. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Ok...say it's not a publicity stunt and just the way the name goes, being in North America and all...is there any other Japanese player out there displaying his first name on the back of his jersey like Ichiro???

LOL...I was going to comment on Matsui with the Yankees, but then I realized, the Yanks don't sport names on jerseys. Nor the Red Sox...guess it's time for me to do a little more research

Special congrats to the Indians for last nights victory over Tampa Bay...job well done :bolian:

12. Jacquie

The Jays beat Oakland 4-3 :) They scored two in the bottom of the 9th to win the game. They are now 1 game over .500 :)

Cleveland is currently losing to the Rays 4-3. Come on Cleveland you can do it :)

13. Destiny

Err no they couldn't, turned out an 8-4 loss to the rays. Today is the rubber match. Carmona was off, and what ticked me off is that yet another ump decided that Betancourt needed to be put on a stop watch and he has speeded up since last year. But they didn't put the other teams pitcher on a clock and he was about the same speed. It messed with Betancourts frame and then Shoppach kept calling for the fastball, trusting him Raffie Right threw it and hello homer. Well the only fireworks were coming from the normally "hold in the emotions and keep calm" Wedge, who shouted from the dugout to the catcher (shoppach) to talk to the pitcher (shoppach has this problem of not doing it until its too late) needless to say I was willing to run him some anti-acids and watch steam coming out his ears. If there isn't a team meeting last night/ today or with in the next couple days I will be shocked. Well we have the pitching matchup for to day (Sowers vs Kazmir).

Tribe - Jays, Three game series, here is the Matchup.

Game 1: Anthony Reyes vs David Purcey
    Game 2: Paul Byrd vs Roy Halladay
    Game 3: Cliff Lee vs Scott Richmond

We will have to update game three when they announce it.

GO T & J !!! :thumbsup::bolian:

EDITED TO ADD
    Okay apparently we can accomplish one thing, we can lose the game in the final inning, without recording an out. A reliever and closer in the same inning manage to tie the game, then give up a three run homer. We lost 10-7.

One of our starters Matt Ginter is on the DL 15 days due to right arm strain, our second Basemen (Cabrera) is day to day when he was running out to his position and a cleat got caught on the turf and he twisted his ankle. Garko managed to get pulled from the game for failing to run to first on a ground out, and he looked real sad about it.

Tom Mastney (reliever who didn't give up anything) is optioned to AAA Buffalo and up comes Starter Anthony Reyes and reliever Brendan Donnelly from the same place, though Reyes is the newest guy we got from the cards. They are up here for the Tribe/Jays games.

I also updated the pitching matchups, due to Reyes coming up everyone was moved one day back, and the Jays Pitching matchup for the third game is listed.

Medical updates:
    Victor Martinez did a full workout, taking batting practice from both sides of the plate, throwing to the bases from behind the plate and running the bases.
    Hafner & Barfield They figure Josh B. will be headed for rehab assignment this weekend, Travis is getting better as well and closer to.

Okay this is long enough, I will let you know if I find out more.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  14. Jacquie

The Jays took game three from Oakland winning it one 5-1 :) Marcum had a no hitter going into the sixth inning. The Jays are now 2 games over .500 :) Oh it's time to party :lol:

So I guess this is where Destiny and I part company for the weekend as the Jays have one more with Oakland and then the Tribe are in town for the weekend. But until Friday night comes along....

go Jays and Tribe :)

15. Destiny

:lol: Tomorrow is an off day for the tribe (so it should be no different then a game day lol), but who says we have to part company, I am pretty sure that we can both complain about our teams, because lets face it, if you think its going to go one way, it usually goes the other. :guffaw:

And if you think about it, by our teams playing and us complaining its a good thing, I mean we can rant and rave and be happy because something they did, and knowing that no matter what we can relate. :D

GO T & J !!!! :bolian: :shifty: :thumbsup:

Okay sorry but I like that shifty smilie it looks like its looking back and forth between the two of us lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.