BASEBALL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Charisma, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

1. The CW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ABC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I started out the same way I knew the basic's and that was about it, then after my mom passed it was something that dad and I share watching the games. So I will help you and anyothers. Here are some links if you have time or need to look back on.

Wiki BaseBall Statistics
    Baseball Glossary
    Baseball Prospectus

They can give you some more of the basics, or reminders. Seems like they figured out the simple "See Ball, Hit Ball, & Hit Ball HARD". Not to mention they look like a team with spark and chemistry.

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The Jays head into the 4 day All-Star break on a positive note. The beat the Yankees 4-1 today to take 2 out of 3 from the Bronx Bombers :) Burnett pitched on 3 days rest and went 8 and a third innings. Ryan finished the game off for his 18th save of the season :)

Cleveland beat Tampa Bay 5-2 to complete their 4 game sweep of the Rays :)

I don't think I will bother to watch the All-Star game as it's no longer a fun game to watch. But go American League :)

Go Jays and Tribe :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  3. Destiny

Yes we did and Marte got a freaking HR color me in total shock when it happened, first he gets his first RBI and now a HR, and I believe its in the same week! :eek: and he is batting .177

Not to mention Wedge got ejected for the third time this season, but honestly I am confused on the reason, I know he got ejected while yelling from the dugout, and then ran out to talk to the ump who apparently decided to listen to him, but his ruling stood. The confusion came because three things were happening slightly at once, first sowers (who sucked as usual 5 innings 93 pitches, 51 strikes 42 balls he actually walked in a run, then a single got in their second run off this guy) Balked (though thats is iffy), then a phatom tag but then a strike zone squeeze first inning you could paint the corners for strikes, second inning you weren't. If I find out the real reason I will let you know (some are saying its because he argued the balk call, who argues that?).

I will watch the AS only for Cliff Lee (who might be starting I have no clue) and Grady Sizemore may get in there. I do want to watch the HR durby on ESPN I believe Grady will be in on that and Jeff Datz (our bench coach and former ML Catcher) will be his pitcher that should be fun, as long as it doesn't mess with the swing I am fine with it. :D

GO T & J

4. Destiny

Shoot I couldn't edit, Okay Cliff for those who hadn't heard is the starting AL pitcher tonight. Grady was in the HR Derby he got 6, Jeff Datz was his pitcher did pretty good. Fausto did his rehab assignment and threw four Scoreless innings, got one hit and three strikeouts, and the team still lost due to the relievers, They are saying that he may only need one more outing and if he is fine can return to rotation after the AS break. I will let you know how the AS Game goes. For those interested I found this on MLB.com

The 79th Major League Baseball All-Star Game will be televised nationally by FOX, in Canada by Rogers Sportsnet and Sportsnet HD and televised around the world by Major League Baseball International, with pregame ceremonies beginning at 8 p.m. ESPN Radio will provide exclusive national radio coverage that will also be available on XM Satellite Radio, while MLB.com will provide extensive online coverage.

5. Jacquie

Well the second have of the season gets underway tonight. There were a few games played last night but everyone is in action tonight. The Jays are in Tampa Bay for 3. This could be good or could be a disaster. The Jays have never really played well in Tampa.

Pitching match ups

Burnett vs Sheilds
    Halladay vs Garza
    Parrish vs TBA

Cleveland is in Seattle. Pitching tonight is Laffey vs Hernandez.

Go Jays and Tribe :)

6. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I haven't been able to watch hardly any baseball at all so Destiny I trust you to keep me updated on the Tribe(as no doubt you have & do) lol I check my paper often to see where they stand. Along with the Reds. I miss not being able to watch them. I'm sooooooo glad that Turner broadcasting is now showing other teams than the Braves(yuck) LOL I was hoping to see them go all the way this yr. Any chance?

7. Destiny

No problem, upside they (well all but two) had a great four days off, the downside they forgot to come back from it. They lost game one Tribe 2 - Seattle 8. Laffey gave up a grandslam, and walked in a run, then promptly gave up three run homer. Then they fineally took him out, he was at 84 pitches by the fourth, the bullpen (Lewis and Rincon) held them at 8.

Cabrera is back from Triple A, so that messed with the lineup, Carroll is back to limited utility role. So basically the lineup that swept the rays, has been messed with and Cabrera might be a bit more patient but his defense not as good as before, then neither is his at bats. But hey the conditioning worked he is slimmer. :lol:

Also heads up todays game isn't going to be aired on tv, reason given "SATURDAY JULY 19TH Indians vs. Mariners will NOT be televised. This game originally was going to be a FOX National game, but FOX decided not to air it. Since Seattle did not change the start of the game time, STO cannot air it because it falls into the FOX exclusive broadcast window."

Probable Pitchers, Tribe vs Seattle:
    Jeremy Sowers vs Miguel Batista (July 19)
    Cliff Lee vs Carlos Silva (July 20)

Tribe vs LAA
    Paul Byrd vs Ervin Santana (July 21)
    Matt Ginter vs Jered Weaver (Matt is the new guy July 22)
    To be Announced vs John Lackey (July 23)

8. Destiny

We took the series in Seattle, game one Tribe 2 - Seattle 8, game two Tribe 9 - Seattle 6, game three Tribe 6 - Seattle 2. Now we head off to play LAA for three games.

Player updates.
    Josh Barfield is now four weeks removed from surgery on the middle finger on his left hand. He is playing catch out to 120 feet, he took groundballs Thursday and he gripped a bat for the first time since surgery Thursday, as well. According to head athletic training Lonnie Soloff, Barfield could be two to three weeks away from returning.

Victor Martinez, five weeks removed from elbow surgery, will begin swinging from both sides of the plate in a week. He is already doing running exercises. He is no longer feeling any pain in his the hamstring that had been bothering him. He is about three weeks removed from game activity, according to Soloff.

Fausto Carmona's rehabilitation attempt appears to be coming to a successful close. Carmona will probably throw a side session Monday in Anaheim, and the Indians will evaluate him afterward as they look to put him back in the rotation.

Soloff said he is "very optimistic" about Travis Hafner's right shoulder condition, which has improved to about 65 percent strength. The Indians will recheck the strength of the shoulder in a week, when they return from the road.

9. Jacquie

The Jays finally won one in Tampa Bay :) They beats the Rays 9-4 and managed not to lose all three :D

The Jays head to Baltimore for 4. Oh joy the battle of the basement dwellers. Lets see who will win :) If the Jays were in the National League West they would be tied for first place :)

Pitching match up for tonight's game

Litsch vs Liz.

10. Destiny

Okay so the Tribe and the Jays both swept the Rays? :eek: wow either they really are in a slump or us playing okay teams and losing is the problem we need to play the very best and win? :confused:

Go T & J!!! :bolian: :thumbsup:

Game 1: Tribe 5 - LAA 2

Also update they are saying Fausto Carmona should be returning to the rotation in the next series against the twins.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  11. Jacquie

Wow it's been a few days since we've had a Cleveland or Toronto update :D

Toronto took 3 out of 4 from the Orioles. The Jays lost the first but came back for the last 3. Wednesday's came was suspended in the 6th because of thunderstorms. The Jays were leading 2-1. The game resumed Thursday afternoon and then they played their regularly scheduled afternoon game. This means the current basement dwellers are the Orioles and that the Jays may actually be sitting at .500 :)

Starting tonight the Jays are at home to Seattle and the Tribe are at home to the Twins

On an interesting trivia note it was 25 years ago yesterday that George Brett has his famous pine tar incident. Wow how time flies :)

George Bret and Pine Tar

go Jays and Tribe :)

12. Destiny

Lets see we know the Tribe won the first game 5-2, after that not so much, game two LAA 3, tribe 2, and game three LAA 14, tribe 11.

Next 7 games are at home (3 with Min, 4 with Det) Probable Pitchers (and I love this.. check out Saturdays [game 2's] Pitcher)

Tribe vs Min
    1 Cliff Lee vs Livan Hernandez
    2 Fausto Carmona vs Scott Baker
    3 Jeremy Sowers vs Nick Blackburn

Tribe vs Det.
    1 Paul Byrd vs Kenny Rogers
    2 Aaron Laffey vs Armando Galarraga
    Game 3 & 4 pitchers are not out yet. But for us I believe it will be for us Lee and Carmona.

Jays vs Sea
    1 John Parrish vs Miguel Batista
    2 David Purcey vs Carlos Silva
    3 Shaun Marcum vs Jarrod Washburn

Jays vs Rays
    1 To be announced vs Matt Garza (rays)
    Nothing more listed after this.

EDITED TO ADD:

Okay what the heck are the odds that BOTH the Tribe and the Jays would not only win on the same night but with the SAME scores. Tribe 5 - Min 4 ... Jays 5 - Sea 4.

Go T & J !!! :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  13. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Happy ending to the Jays game after last night. Bottom of the 10th and Icherio's poor read on the routine fly ball cost them the game. I kinda felt bad for him seeing he's such a well rounded player, but glad the Jays were able to pull off their 4th win in a row...knock on wood (don't want to jinx them). But it's refreshing to see the Jays not give up and a come from behind win is always a boost for any team.

Got a question to toss out. It's always made me wonder.. why does Icherio have his first name on the back of his jersey instead of his last?

Congrats to the Tribe for their most recent victory! Always good to hear.

14. Jacquie

The only thing I can think of is that the name thing has to do with Japanese traditions. Other than that I have no idea.

The Jays won again :)

Toronto 8 Seattle 3

Cleveland has been busy in the trade department. They traded Casey Blake to the Dodgers for two minor leaguers. The Indians also acquired Anthony Reyes from the Cardinals in exchange for one minor leaguer.

Indians acquire Reyes
    Dodgers acquire Blake from Indians

15. Destiny

Congrats on the win.

Yep Casey to the dodgers for minor leaguers, Reyes from the cards, Laffey was optioned to AAA Buffalo Ginter will remain, and Andy Gonzalez was called up from AAA to fillout the 40 man roster.

But Shapiro said that they are open to the possibility of bringing Casey back in 2009 as he will be a free agent and Casey said that he would like to finish out his career in Cleveland. Darn it on STO they are interviewing players about Casey's trade and Fausto's return and I am kind of tearing up. lol.

Some believe that it is because, Ichiro is last name in Japan as Suzuki is his first time in Japan. In America, his name is ichiro Suzuki. In Japan, he uses the name Suzuki Ichiro. The American and Japan names are very different as use the change the first and last name to front.

But Wikipedia says that basically it was a publicity stunt to help the team and promote their rising star.

EDITED TO ADD:
    *sigh* they hyped Carmona, put so much expectation on him, add in all the changes and this game was an implode waiting to happen. Fausto gave up 6 runs in something like 3 innings, from there the hitters forgot how to use the bats, and BOOM! Tribe 4 - Min 11 ouch.

Casey got the news late last night, early this morning, got ready, on a plane and was in the LAD lineup batting sixth. Those Casey hopes that at the end of the season him and the Indians can get back together, the GM said the samething, so hopefully we will have him back in 2009. But the thing is, everyone in the clubhouse was great friends with Casey and you could just tell they didn't have any real time to process it. It's like all the bats took a dive hopefully they can win the series tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.