BASEBALL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Charisma, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

1. The CW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ABC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CBS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

:lol: Yeah we got sweeped 6-4, but in all honesty while they didn't like losing, weighs in about the same as how they feel about interleague playing they hate it. Well correction the pitchers love it especially CC lol but yeah I know the feeling Branden Phillips on the Cin team had a little problem with management (ie wedge) and was let go from cleveland. Needless to say even after all this time he has a bit of a problem with cleveland lol. Course thing is there is when he was with the tribe he sucked lol.

The problem with our team the hitting coach honestly. Down in the minors they are hitting right and left, they come up here shelton gets ahold of them and its like they forget how to hit. They don't seem to be making adjustments. Upside Hafner is fineally starting to come around. The downside is that Wedge can not see that certain players who work great in certain holes should be left there. Dellucci hits great in the two hole (no bad in the 7th) but put him in the three hole and he looks lost, same with other players in their holes, there are a few in there that the shuffle is good for them.

But as to interleague play I really dislike it, I think its cool that the pitchers get a chance to show their stuff, but when you start messing with the lineup and adding in pitch hitters for those pitchers who won't bat and its confusing, its like who is up next? is it? no wait maybe its... no! :wtf:

Now we goto chicago for 3 games, come back home for 2 series (Tex & Cws).
    But we have interleague play again in June from the 13-29th then were done for the year. Interleague schedule.
    13-15 SD, In cleveland
    17-19 Col, away
    20-22 Lad, away
    24-26 SF, In Cleveland
    27-29 Cin, In cleveland

2. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

Awesome thanks. We'll go to the Florida marlins at the dolphin's stadium because that's a lot closer to where we are staying.

Silly question, but is there a best/worst area to sit. i.e. we don't want to be with the totally hardcore fans when we have never seen a live game! Or are all of the cheaper areas not good, we only really want to pay $30 eachish, and there's a few that are shown at that price, but as i say, we don't want to be with the hardcore hardcores ;) Are all stadiums similar as to where the 'main' fans sit etc? Or does anyone know the dolphin's stadium. Thanks :)

3. Destiny

:lol: I am sorry I don't go to games, I found the safest place is my living room. I have heard horror stories and I have heard some stories about people who had fun. I don't know if there is ever anyone place that you won't find someone acting like an a.. idiot.

I guess it depends on such things as are you looking or hoping a fly ball is fouled your way, or do you want to try and stay away from that. Here is a seating chart of the stadium With prices. But honestly I have no idea about this stadium. You could check out the message board for them to see if anyone has said anything, unless someone on here. Every ballpark is different. At Progressive field, one week they could be clustered in one section area, another week they could be spread out throughout. I do know that in most ballparks the drinking (beer, etc) is stopped at the 7th inning.

Okay probably not much help there.

4. bubbles

bubbles CSI Level Two

No, thanks, I appreciate your help :) I'll have a proper look at the seating chart tomorrow ( i had a glance earlier), and will see what my friend says about it, I think I'm kinda forcing him to come :D and unfortunately, being only 20 I won't be able to join in the beer drinking, which will be really strange, as i've been able to drink here for over 2 years now :S

But i'll let you know when I get tickets sorted, i'm really excited about it now :)

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

[​IMG] to Jon Lester of the Boston Red Sox. Lester had a couple of firsts last night. First off he had his first complete game of his career and secondly he had something called a no-hitter :) He walked two and stuck out 9 in helping the Red Sox beat Kansas 7-0

Jon Lester no-hitter

The Jays are at home for the next 6 games with the Angles on deck tonight. Halliday was suppose to start tonight for the Jays but he came in and pitched in relief for the Jays in Sunday's rainy day game in Philly.

Pitching Match ups;

John Lackey vs Dustin McGowan
    Jon Garland vs Shaun Marcum
    Joe Saunders vs A.J. Burnett

bubbles I will second Destiny's comments on seating arrangements. Every ball park is different. In Toronto most of the rowdies are in the high up seats or the outfield. Most of the sane ones are between the first and third baselines. But the tickets are also more expensive. I also enjoy my baseball at home. It's cheaper :) but not as exciting :)

6. csisue

csisue Hit and Run

I haven't been following baseball in a long time. But back when I watched I was a BIG Padres fan. When I lived in San Diego I would go to night games, double header games it was great. That was when it was called Jack Murphy stadium and when the greatest player was still in the game. I loved watching Tony Gwynn. He was a allaround great player from hitting to fielding he was the best. Maybe I should look into what the Padres
    are doing...........

7. LostInEvidence

LostInEvidence Hit and Run

Hiya guys! I just wondered on in here and I notitced this thread! I am a HUGE baseball fan and, hate if you want, but I have liked the Cleveland Indians for as long as I can remember. I don't live in Ohio, but my dad is from Cleveland and he really taught me everything I needed to know.

I really expected alot more the Tribe season after the great season they had last year. It killed me when they gave up their 3-1 series lead to the Red Sox, but I was really hoping it'd all be gone by now. Guess not. I'm praying for a turn around here soon, or I won't be much fun to be around if they continue down this path..

With all of that aside, it's nice to see Cliff Lee making a comeback. :)

--Ally

8. Destiny

Well this is going well, okay just lied to myself lol.

Tribe 1 - Cws 4

The starting rotation awesome, the offense is really off, and the bullpen is total disarray. The upsides are this it was reported that "Starter Jake Westbrook and closer Joe Borowski are both -- most likely, anyway -- one rehab outing away from returning to the Indians." Maybe if they get back the bullpen can go back to the way it was before, though I don't want Laffey to go down, I think him in the pen, and option Breslow to Buffalo would be better, heck Laffey even said if it means the pen he would take it.

Thing that gets me is this when your guys are doing well in a certain line spot, why move them from there, Hafner was getting his stride in the six hole, Dellucci does real well in the two hole, etc. I don't know if Victor is gun shy or playing injured (not like they would tell us, Jobo reminder), but even his numbers are declining.

I also hate that if they are a "veteran" then they are washed up and shouldn't play just because of their age. I swear there are some out there who put that on Dellucci (who is 34), and before that Nixon (who is Now 34). Personally I think our hitting coach is more to blame then anything, Last season Dellucci was out because of the hamstring, but this year he started out strong when others were not doing so well, he is in a slump, but there are some out there that say its a sign of being done.

Anyway LostInEvidence welcome and no matter where you live have faith in the tribe our guys always turn it around, one way or another. :)

9. Destiny

About to lie to myself again, We are doing awesome!

Tribe 2 - Cws 7

Course part of the problem came when the first base ump called a guy safe when on 3 angles it showed he was clearly out, and by clearly by the time the ball hit the glove of the first baseman (in a DP situation), the guys foot was just about to come down on the bag, it was clear the ball was in the glove and the guys foot was on the base. Byrd got rattled and gave up a three run homer.

And yet I still have faith in these guys to turn it around. Funny thing happened apparently (and I didn't see it just read it on a news item) Martinez, went back into the dug out, really ticked off, slammed his helmet down pushed some stuff, kicked some stuff and then stomped down into a bucket for seeds and lol his foot got stuck and he was trying to shake it off and even though they were losing, Grady and Pronk were trying very very hard not to laugh.

I was just reading a story about our utility guy Jamey Carroll, If anyone is interested in reading it" its a very good story.

ETA: Heads up! if it seems like the games are going faster, thats because they are and the blame can be put on MLB. Check out this story. MLB focuses on pace-of-game efforts - Clubs, umps asked to be diligent about enforcing time limits.

We have the world series of 2007 to blame for it. Wedge (tribe manager) said he had an opinion on it but refused to give it lol. But Ryan Garko (Tribe First baseman) didn't refuse. "I wouldn't mind seeing that if it's the same for everybody," Garko said. "But some things are out of an umpire's control. If a pitcher can't find the strike zone, it's going to slow the game down." :D

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  10. Jacquie

Well I've been avoiding writing about the disaster know as the Toronto Blue Jays. They are still not in the basement, the Yankees have that privilege :) but come on Jays start warming up those bats. You can't leave 10 men on base and expect to win the game :brickwall: Remember Jays we're already through most of the first 2 months of the season.

Good news out of Toronto today is that JP Ricciardi, the GM, has no interest in signing Barry Bonds. I would have lost all respect for the team and Ricciardi if Bonds had been signed.

Ricciardi not interested in Bonds

Toronto has one more game against the Angles and then Kansas City is in town for the weekend. If things don't improve soon may seriously think about changing sides. May go back to route for the team that got me interested in baseball many years ago. The Dodgers :)

11. Destiny

I feel your pain, we just got sweeped by the white sox game 3, Tribe 1 - Cws 3. I don't understand it, it seems that alot of teams in the AL are up and down, one minutes its like YEAH! the next its like HUH?

My Goodness Victor is having a bad season to start (hitting not included). What is he trying to take all the abuse/injuries for everyone on the team?
    Injured Hamstring, Stiffness in his neck, Small twist/pull at HP to his hamstring, Nailed in the groin, Foot stuck in bucket (yeah he got mad and kicked a bucket and got his foot stuck), Glacing blow off his helmet and or Mask, slightly injured index finger <-- Just happened tonight.

As to which, these guys seem to act like they didn't even want to be in the game at all, you can see the confidence is down to zip, Grady (as well as other players) during this series stood there at one point with this expression of shock (and not because of the calls), just a stunned/confused looks on their face. Some it was like okay go up give it a try, and if were out, sit down and wait. Their not even getting mad anymore when called out, or when they think its a walk and the ump calls strike. It's like all the energy/spirit has been zapped out of them and trying just seems to hard. They are lacking faith in themselves and the team, even the defense that is good, is starting to be on and off just a little, they actually look like this has been a sprint, instead of a marathon. I hope they can get it turned around, because honestly its just sad imo they are great players, they seem to love competition, this slump or whatever is really taking its toll on them. :(

They just DFA'd Craig Breslow, remember him? no he was in our bullpen, last night he got to work, the problem was he gave up a solo homer, the other problem he hadn't worked in like 11 days. I say give the poor guy his leave let him find work, not stuck in a place where at the end of the season they are cleaning out and discover "wow your still here?". JoBo is said to be doing great and is suppost to be back as of tonight. Jake I believe will be activated as well by this weekend. The problem their having is they don't want to send Laffey back so they may have to DFA/option someone else to keep him in the bullpen.

Someone said that David Dellucci might be DFA'd (which is unconfirmed and source is sketchy) so that they can bring up Shin Soo Choo (who had tommy john surgery) from AAA buffalo where he is rehabbing. The problem with that is while he is doing great in the minors its a rehab assignment, and he is out of options, everyone is clammoring for him and I am like, shouldn't you wait and see what the heck your getting, he may not be the same guy who was here before. We have Andy Marte who is out of options (3rd base backup) hitting Avg .115, SLG .115, OBP .179, OPS .294 I use to say in ST he was majoring in errors he committed 7 in one game back then. Cabrera as of 1:30 am 5/23 Avg .175, SLG .238, OBP .271, OPS .509 and yet we keep him because of his defense which is beginning to wane and this one has options go figure. - But we have a second basemen in AAA Buffalo who we have had up here, and who wasn't allowed to work through it before being optioned down, Josh Barfield in buffalo stats are Avg .258, SLG .400, OBP .300, OPS .700 - And this is the funny part in 2007 (which is when they sent him down) this was his stats. AVG .243, SLG .324, OBP .270, OPS .594

Personally everyone wants to trade, trade, buy, buy, the problem is you can't throw money at the problem, you trade for a guy he goes into a slump your stuck in the same spot. Deal with the problem you have first, start with the hitting coach. But trust me I feel your pain.

Tonight we go against the Rangers for 3 games, and then Cws 3 games both are in cleveland so maybe that will help I don't know.

12. Destiny

I am hoping to be forgiven for the double post I don't do it often and because lets face it that sucker above is long lol.

Tonights game, where to begin...how about we lost Tribe 9 - Rangers 13 BUT... It lasted 4 hrs and 7 mins, 11 pitchers, 396 pitches, 234 strikes, 162 balls (all between the two teams). A pitcher injured, a really bad call made by 4 umps, a manager ejected, a player (on the other team) ejected.

Okay Fausto Carmona as it stand has a left hip strain is all we know he left the game by inning two. Jorge Julio came in and gave up 7 runs in the second Inning. We get it within one or two and this dude blows it open for the rangers. Then we have the four ump bad call apparently four umpires have trouble seeing a HOME RUN. Ben Francisco hits the ball it goes off the third railing hits comes down hits the yellow line, and to the ground, for an automatic HR right? Wrong the umpires decided that they didn't see it hit the railing (which on four replays and a freeze cam is clear) Wedge goes out, apparently questions the eye sight of all four and gets ejected, The ump that made the call was a last minute replacement and no one after learning it was a HR reversed the call, that would have put us within two instead of 4, which could have possibly gotten a rally really going. Later in the game Milton Bradley is called out on strikes, gestures to the HP ump to look at the replay on the score board (gee that will get you no where trust me) and he is ejected.

I think though the amazing thing there was only one or two broken bats for the entire game, the tribe had a serious explosion on the offense, considering for the first two innings well they were walked, they still need to work on the runners in scoring position though, but this game was so freaking wierd nothing that would resemble close to normal, which I am hoping is a sign that they can turn it around, this is the seventh straight loss for them, but only because of that UMP call and Jorge Julio our relief pitcher (god help me). JoBo was activated, Westbrook did his fineal rehab and should be up very soon with us, and apparently Laffey thought the possiblity of going back down was delayed until more is known on Carmona (and I would hate to send this kid back he is willing to go into the pen, I say out with Julio and keep Laffey, ERA for the month of may is 0.64 with a WHIP of 0.93 and a regular era of 1.60

This game started at 7:10 pm and ended at 11:07pm they play again tomorrow for game two same time, and may I add we just blew Selige's new (game should be paced faster) theme out of the water lol and that rule started tonight. :guffaw:

I see the Jays won, hopefully it was a normal game? :D

13. Jacquie

Oh Destiny all is forgiven for the double post :) and sorry about your game woes. Yes the Blues Jays did win last night 7-1 and they won this afternoon 6-0 :) :)

Friday night's game had the Jays where their outfits that they wore in the 80's. What fans like to call their smurf outfits :lol: but hey they won and that's what matters.

In today's game Jesse Litsch had a complete game shutout, both career firsts and Brad Wilkerson had a grand slam :)

Good news on the injury front. Vernon Wells was taking fly ball practice on Saturday and will be heading to class-A Dunedin on Monday to continue rehab. Wells has been out since May 10th with a broken wrist. David Eckstein is expected to rejoin the team in Oakland on Tuesday :) Things may be looking up for the Jays if we can get our injured players back.

14. Destiny

Congrats to the Jays, nicely done, saw the replays on STO.

No more lying to myself, the SEVEN game losing streak has been SNAPPED! :eek:

Game 1: Tribe 9 - Rangers 13
    Game 2: Tribe 5 - Rangers 2

One game left with the Rangers, then we start a 3 game series with Cws again then they get a day off. Cliff Lee stopped the bleeding tonight, and Jobo came back from the DL and got the save without giving up a run :eek: or making anyone nervous.

Fausto has been put on the DL (get well man), so Aaron Laffey who was scheduled to be placed either back in Triple A, or the Bullpen will be used again in his place, Jake Westbrook had a great rehab outting and should be back real soon, Jensen Lewis (long relief) was sent down, and called up Scott Elerton and Edward Mujica for the bullpen.

Did you hear about the Tiger and Twins game? It went from a baseball game score to a football game score the final was Tigers 19 (not a mistype) - Twins 3 (again not a mistype). Angels took out the Cws yesterday breaking their winning streak, and did it again today (I am not saddened by this lol).

ETA:
    *sigh* When the balloon goes up, it hits a spike and POP, needless to say we lost Game 3 Tribe 1 - Rangers 2.
    We were leading 1-0 from the first to the 6th, then in the 6th the rangers hit a solo homer off CC then from the 6th to the 10th it was tied, until Masa (I really don't like this guy) walked one guy and then another singled to right field, then our new guy from the minors Ben Franscisco goes down on one knee to field it (like an infielder) and it goes threw his legs from mid outfield to the wall, scoring the guy that was walked.

Ben by all accounts of the fans should be readily forgiven for that error because he hits so well. the problem is that isn't his only fielding mistake, turns out he's :eek: HUMAN! the other discovery is unless someone slaps him silly or the urge strikes him, he doesn't like to run after the ball unless its a fly out. But gee cause he can Bat (which failed him today) he is the best. Today first inning he scores the one run by hitting a double, cool right. Third inning bases loaded, he grounds to third base they throw to home plate and get our guy out, needless to say the guy they want to lead off or batting second is IMO has let the praise and media attention go to his head (it happens to them all, until they sink) and the outcome "forgive him he is only a week or so up and look what he's done". Well gee NO!

Like the other players haven't done something good in the last week, month, etc. But see they are all to blame, but not Benny. I swear I am sick of all the Dellucci is the reason the younger guys are blocked, he is a washed up vet, this is the best he can do. - Seems he apparently isn't allowed to go into a slump, and if he does he won't come out of it to be even an average player. Course the thing is, Last season Cabrera was the new spark the hit of the party, and now this season he is below the .200 mark and they want him gone, Franklin G. was the up and comer last season, and now later gator cause he went into a slump.

What is it about slumps honestly as soon as a player goes into it, if they are not out of it in two days, they need to be traded or DFA'd or optioned. These same fans seem to forget that last season from july thru august they were in a slump, I would rather they do that NOW, then wait until then. Sure there are folks I want gone, one for the sake of his career, Andy Marte hitting worse then Cabrera .115 but the thing is about him, he sits all the time a game here and there, let him go (no options available) and find the team he can play on. Cabrera can be good but he needs a Batting refresher course, Barfield needs a second chance to prove himself win/win. They got so many platoons, I can't keep them straight.

Now we have Shin Soo Choo coming up (out of options) from rehab so now there are five outfielders (two L, two R, and One center), Marte and blake at third, Garko and Aurbrey at first. Cabrera and peralta at short stop, and Carbrera and Carroll at second. Top it off we don't know how good choo will be hes doing good in AAA rehab 8 games over .300 BUT its not the majors, and it was Tommy john surgery he had, so he probably can't be an everyday player. and people are thinking he will be the same old player they loved (me not so much I thought he was okay).

*SCREAM* Ahhhhh That felt good. Okay next three game series against the CWS at progressive field. Do I dare to dream, what the heck I am a sucker for punishment. :lol:

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  15. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Minor leaguer traded for 10 baseball bats in Texas
    May 23, 11:31 PM (ET)
    By CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN

McALLEN, Texas (AP) - During three years in the low minors, John Odom never really made a name for himself until he got traded for a bunch of bats.

"I don't really care," he said Friday. "It'll make a better story if I make it to the big leagues."

For now, Odom is headed to the Laredo Broncos of the United League. They got him Tuesday from the Calgary Vipers of the Golden Baseball League for a most unlikely price: 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, double-dipped black, 34-inch, C243 style.

"They just wanted some bats, good bats - maple bats," Broncos general manager Jose Melendez said.

According to the Prairie Sticks Web site, their maple bats retail for $69 each, discounted to $65.50 for purchases of six to 11 bats.

The Canadian team signed Odom about a month ago, but couldn't get the 26-year-old righty into the country. It seems Odom had a "minor" but unspecified criminal record that wasn't revealed to immigration officials before they scanned his passport, Vipers president Peter Young said.

Odom said the charge stemmed from a fight when he was 17. Although he thought it had been expunged from his record, it popped up during immigration.

Originally from Atlanta, Odom was drafted late by the San Francisco Giants in 2003. He pitched 38 games in Class A from 2004-06 and was released by the organization this spring.

The bat trade wasn't the first time Calgary came up with some creative dealmaking. The Vipers once tried to acquire a pitcher for 1,500 blue seats when they were renovating their stadium, Young said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.