Baseball 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Destiny, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: Baseball 2010 Season

From the Tribe Insider.

Indians call up Jensen Lewis and option Aaron Laffey to Columbus.

The reason for the move is because with Huff getting hit in the head by that line drive, the bullpen had to be used alot in yesterdays 4 hr 22 min game. All but one or two pitchers were used. Laffey has been having problems of late, so hopefully they will be able to work it out in AAA.
    Jensen Lewis was sent down there and was doing great. Kinda hoping since it looks like Sizemore will have surgery on his bruised knee that they would move him to the sixty day DL and bring up Joe Smith as well.

2. Destiny

The Indians played the Tigers tonight and Galarraga was throwing a perfect game, until the last out, when the umpire (Jim Joyce) blew the call. Jason Donald (Indians SS) was out by a half step.

Joyce in a statement from MLB is said he will not be umpiring the game tomorrow. But statements were released.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career."

Galarraga said he gave Joyce a hug when Joyce apologized to him after the game.
    "He really feels bad," Galarraga said. "He probably feels more bad than me. Nobody is perfect. I give a lot of credit to that guy. That (an apology) doesn't happen. He apologized. He feels really bad. Nobody is perfect. What am I gonna do? His body language said more than a lot of words. His eyes were watery, he didn't have too say much. His body language said a lot."

"That's the nature of the business, that's just the way it is. The players are human, the umpires are human, the managers are human, the writers are human," Leyland said. "We all make mistakes. It's a crying shame. Jimmy's a real good umpire, has been for a long time. He probably got it wrong."

Keep in mind I am an Indians fan to lol. Fausto did do really good on the 1 hr 44 min game (no I didn't mistype, you didn't miss read) nine innings and under 100 pitches. Blown Call Video (on right)

In Other News

Griffey Jr. announces his retirement - Mariners star ends career after 630 career home runs

"I've come to a decision today to retire from Major League Baseball as an active player," Griffey said in the statement. "This has been on my mind recently, but it's not an easy decision to come by. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to play Major League Baseball for so long and thankful for all the friendships I have made, while also being proud of my accomplishments."

Griffey ended his career with 630 home runs, fifth-highest in MLB history, 10 Gold Gloves, one Most Valuable Player Award -- but no World Series appearances.
    "My hope is that my teammates can focus on baseball and win a championship for themselves and for the great fans of Seattle, who so much deserve one," the last of the four-paragraph statement said.

For more see link provided.

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The Jays continue on their lets get beat up by the National League :rolleyes: but they did manage a win last night in San Diego. They beat the Padres 6-3. More exciting was play was stopped in the 8th inning because of an earthquake :eek: The quake measured 5.9 on the Richter Scale. Fortunately there was no damage done.

Jays win as earth moves

4. Destiny

You think thats bad, try being the Cleveland Indians. :lol: now thats so not funny but it's better to laugh then :brickwall: But it could be worse, we could be Baltimore.

Lets see the AL Stats as of 6-19-10

East
    Team W L PCT GB
    NY Yankees 43 26 .623 -
    Tampa Bay 42 27 .609 1.0
    Boston 42 28 .600 1.5
    Toronto 38 32 .543 5.5
    Baltimore 19 49 .279 23.5

Central
    Team W L PCT GB
    Minnesota 40 29 .580 -
    Detroit 38 30 .559 1.5
    Chi White Sox 34 34 .500 5.5
    Kansas City 29 41 .414 11.5
    Cleveland 26 42 .382 13.5

West
    Team W L PCT GB
    Texas 41 28 .594 -
    LA Angels 39 33 .542 3.5
    Oakland 34 37 .479 8.0
    Seattle 27 41 .397 13.5

the NL Stats as of 6-19-10

East
    Atlanta 42 28 .600 -
    NY Mets 39 30 .565 2.5
    Philadelphia 35 32 .522 5.5
    Florida 33 36 .478 8.5
    Washington 31 39 .443 11.0

Central
    St. Louis 38 31 .551 -
    Cincinnati 37 32 .536 1.0
    Chi Cubs 31 38 .449 7.0
    Milwaukee 29 40 .420 9.0
    Houston 26 44 .371 12.5
    Pittsburgh 25 44 .362 13.0

West
    San Diego 39 29 .574 -
    LA Dodgers 38 30 .559 1.0
    San Francisco 38 30 .559 1.0
    Colorado 36 33 .522 3.5
    Arizona 27 43 .386 13.0

5. Destiny

I am only double posting cause I don't know if you have seen this yet Jacquie? This is the most awesome and sad stories I have read. Video included.

For you, Dad: McDonald homers in first AB since father's death

After watching his postgame press conference, I think Toronto Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston speaks for us all when talking about the home run that utilityman John McDonald hit in the ninth inning of Sunday's game.

"I was so happy to see him hit that home run, I almost cried myself," Gaston said.

Indeed, it's hard not to wipe away a tear or two while watching McDonald round the bases after hitting a two-run homer off Jeremy Affeldt in a 9-6 loss to the Giants. The blast came only two days after McDonald buried his father, who had passed away from a tough battle with liver cancer earlier in the week.

That it happened on Father's Day during John's first at-bat since Jack McDonald's death only added to the emotion. John pointed toward the sky after crossing home plate.

Thanks to the understanding of the Blue Jays, McDonald was able to return home to Connecticut for the final 11 days of his father's life. The two had a very close father-and-son bond — The Star's Richard Griffin has great details about their relationship here — and the AP reports that Jack asked John to hit his next home run in his honor.

At first, that seemed easier requested than done. McDonald returned to Toronto with only 13 career homers to his name over 12 big league seasons and he hadn't hit one yet this season. There was a good chance it might not happen for a long while for the light-hitting infielder.

But then Gaston asked McDonald to serve as a defensive replacement for Aaron Hill in the ninth and McDonald decided to swing as hard as he could when he got to the plate in the bottom of the inning. The result was one of the most emotional Father's Day stories we've ever witnessed in sports as the ball just cleared the left field wall at Rogers Centre.

"I think (the homer) was for both of us," McDonald said. "The fact I got it out of the way quick was nice. I told him they're not that easy to hit."

Asked what he was thinking as he rounded the bases, McDonald was painfully honest. From MLB.com:

"Probably the fact that I couldn't call my dad after the game to tell him."

That's pretty powerful stuff from McDonald and I think it goes without saying that it's something that any of us who have ever bonded with our fathers over baseball can understand. My condolences go to the McDonald family, but I'd also like to offer my congratulations. Coming through as a hero for your hero is a very admirable thing.

Really, what an incredible moment to watch.

6. Jacquie

Thanks Destiny :) I had read about the homer but had not seen it.

7. Destiny

Okay here we go again but have to admit its good to be out of interleague fun as it is to watch a pitcher bat, I would rather that the teams just play their rivals instead of several teams.

Okay we have two series left, this one and one at the end of the month and first of august (three game series ending on aug 1)

So for the game were up next.

6/28 @ 7:05 pm (Westbrook vs Romero)
    6/29 @ 7:05 pm (Carmona vs Morrow)
    6/30 @ 7:05 pm (Laffey vs Litsch)
    7/01 @ 12:05 pm (Masterson vs Marcum)

You could edit to fill in your pitcher for the last game. ;)

LETS GO TRIBE & JAYS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  8. Destiny

Thank you much wasn't sure both official sites stated TBA, I hate when they do that lmao.

Wow that was a heck of a game, I am shocked the Indians won it but that was a close score 2-1. :eek:

That suicide bunt, who would have thought Hafner would have scored from third on it? That was the wierdest thing, well I once seem Hafner score from first lmao. Good storie about Hafner. His nickname, "Pronk", was given to him by former teammate Bill Selby during spring training of 2001 when people sometimes referred to him as "The Project" and other times "Donkey" for the way he looked when running the bases. That was when he was in AA for Texas.

LETS GO TRIBE & JAYS!!!!!!!!!

9. Destiny

Umm okay then soooo was that whosh, slam, swearing you Jacquie?

Okay moving along now. So we get the Athletics next. Hey have you tried to Gibbs slap your team? I did it and heck it works. ;)

BTW I found you guys put Sal "The stache" Fasano in charge of one of your minor league teams, and its rumored he is up for the job when Cito retires. Sal is definitly good people. I wish him and his family well.

10. Jacquie

I don't know what the heck happened but the Jays beat the Yankess today 6-1 :eek: I know I should be :) but the way they've been playing of late :eek: and :wtf: are more appropriate :D The teams were tied at 1 going into the top of the 11th. Alex Gonzalez hit the go ahead single to break open the tie.

11. Destiny

LMAO and the Tribe lost today 3-0 to oakland. The Athletics pitchers name.... Gio Gonzalez. :lol:

GO TRIBE & JAYS!!!!!!!!!

12. Destiny

All Star break is coming upon us. I have the rosters for both teams, and schedule of events. Here they are.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
    AL Starters:
    1B - Justin Morneau, Twins
    2B - Robinson Cano, Yankees
    SS - Derek Jeter, Yankees
    3B - Evan Longoria, Yankees
    C - Joe Mauer, Twins
    OF - Josh Hamilton, Rangers
    OF - Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners
    OF - Carl Crawford, Rays
    DH - Vladimir Guerrero, Rangers

AL Pitchers:
    CC Sabathia, NYY
    Andy Pettitt, NYY
    Fausto Carmona, CLE
    David Price, TB
    Neftali Feliz, TEX
    Phil Hughes, NYY
    Mariano Rivera, NYY
    Jon Lester, BOS
    Matt Thornton, CWS
    Jose Valverde, DET
    Cliff Lee, SEA
    Trevor Cahill, OAK
    Joakim Soria, KC

AL Reserves
    2B - Ty Wigginton, BAL
    3B - Adrian Beltre, BOS
    DH – David Ortiz, BOS
    1B – Miguel Cabrera, DET
    OF - Torii Hunter, LAA
    3B – Alex Rodriguez, NYY
    SS - Elvis Andrus, TEX
    2B – Ian Kinsler, TEX
    OF - Jose Bautista, TOR
    C - John Buck, TOR
    OF - Vernon Wells, TOR

NATIONAL LEAGUE
    NL Starters:
    1B - Albert Pujols, Cardinals
    2B - Chase Utley, Phillies
    SS - Hanley Ramirez, Marlins
    3B - David Wright, Mets
    C - Yadier Molina, Cardinals
    OF - Ryan Braun, Brewers
    OF - Andre Ethier, Dodgers
    OF - Jason Heyward, Braves

NL Pitchers:
    Roy Halladay, PHI
    Josh Johnson, FLA
    Tim Lincecum, SF
    Tim Hudson, ATL
    Jonathan Broxton, LAD
    Arthur Rhodes, CIN
    Adam Wainwright, STL
    Chris Carpenter, STL
    Brian Wilson, SF
    Evan Meek, PIT
    Ubaldo Jimenez, COL
    Matt Capps, WSH
    Yovani Gallardo, COL

NL Reserves
    OF - Chris Young, ARI
    3B – Omar Infante, ATL
    C – Brian McCann, ATL
    2B – Martin Prado, ATL
    OF - Marlon Byrd, CHC
    2B – Brandon Phillips, CIN
    3B – Scott Rolen, CIN
    OF - Michael Bourn, HOU
    OF - Corey Hart, MIL
    SS - Jose Reyes, NYM
    1B – Ryan Howard, PHI
    OF - Matt Holliday, STL
    1B - Adrian Gonzalez, SD

Schedule Of Events
    July 9-13 Major League Baseball All-Star FanFest at Anaheim Convention Center

July 11 Taco Bell All-Star Sunday at Angel Stadium featuring: XM All-Star Futures Game & Taco Bell All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game
    All-Star Game Charity 5K & Fun Run

July 12 Gatorade All-Star Workout Day at Angel Stadium featuring: State Farm Home Run Derby

July 13 81st MLB All-Star Game at Angel Stadium

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
  13. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Hey! Umm, well, I don't follow baseball all that often, but I'm starting to follow it a bit more. About 3 or 4 years ago, I used to turn on my local sports station to listen to the hockey games and after the hockey games, the station would have Fox Sports Radio on, and I don't know what it was, but I liked listening to it, so I just kept my radio set to the channel and would listen to the Fox Sports Radio shows. Anyway, during that time, I picked a baseball team, football team and basketball team to follow. The baseball team I picked was the Rockies and ever since then I've been checking the scores, kind of cheering for them.

Anyway, my sister and I had this crazy idea and we split up all the basketball teams, football teams, hockey teams and baseball teams and next season, we're going to see who wins the most, loses the most etc. It's going to be insane. We're not starting 'til the next season, but I thought I'd just check up with the scores and news from this season, so I can get a feel for how my teams stand :p

GO ROCKIES!

14. Destiny

Welcome to the group Axelsonfire (sounded like therapy lol but then it might be) The Rockies huh? I like them. Y'all got our reliever Raffie Betancourt (or as we called him Raffie Right) he got the nick name from the fact that we had two Rafaels at the same time. Raffie Perez and Raffie Betancourt so we called them Raffie Left and Raffie right (for which ever they threw).

Course then we traded Raffie right so now we have Raffie "Left" Perez and Chris Perez. :lol: We either had two with the same first name or same last name. Its wild. Goodness the Go part we all end with if I had to list the teams some of my fav players were traded to (with the exception of the teams I don't like lol) I would run out of room. :lol:

If you don't already know most of it, here is a brief history of the Rockies. And looked at the All Star Game Roster you have a couple pitchers representing our team. That is cool.

GO TRIBE, JAYS, ROCKIES!!!

15. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Yeah, I've read the Rockies' wikipedia page. I have to know my team's history. It's pretty much a mandatory thing with me. Plus, I have to see if their mascot's cool. I love mascots for some odd reason. And I've gotta say, Dinger's a pretty cool mascot. The Phanatic's probably the weirdest mascot I've ever seen but he's pretty cool too.

Anyway, I did see that a couple of Rockies' pitchers are going to be in All-Star Game which is awesome since Coor's Field is not pitcher friendly because of it's altitude.

Rockies are playing the Cardinals tonight. I'm hoping for a win :)

GO ROCKIES!