Baseball 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Destiny, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: Baseball 2010 Season

:lol: Yesterday (I can say that now) the Tribe played the last game of the three game series with the LA Angels. Tribe got the series, not the sweep.

Now why would I bring this up? Check out this very closely.

Box: R H E
    Tribe: 3 14 0
    Angels: 4 6 2

Hitters AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
    Tribe: 59 3 14 3 7 15 23 .247
    Angels: 49 4 6 4 8 10 17 .253

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Tribe: 15.2 6 4 4 8 10 2 4.38
    Angels: 16.0 14 3 3 7 15 1 4.29

Time: 4 Hours, 57 Minutes
    Pitchers used:
    Cleveland (8),
    Angels (8),
    Total 16

Pitches:
    Cleveland (237),
    Angels (269),
    Total 506

Strikes:
    Cleveland (138),
    Angels (168),
    Total 306

Balls:
    Cleveland (99),
    Angels (101),
    Total 200

Left On Bench:
    Cleveland: 1 (Hafner)
    Angels 3 (no clue who was who lol)

Left in Bullpen:
    Cleveland 1 (Chris Perez the closer)
    Angels: 2 or 3 (not sure, who is who but one was slightly hurt from the day before)

The game started eastern time 7:05, West coast 4:05 pm. They played almost five hours, like 3 minutes shy of five. 16 Innings!!! :wtf:

Now why is this a shock? I referre you to the score listed.. The first run came in the 5th by Cleveland 1 run, then same inning Angels scored 2, then the Angels scored 1 in the sixth, Cleveland scored one in the seventh and ninth.
    From there they were tied 3-3 until the bottom of the sixteenth when the angels scored the winning run making it 4-3 Angels. :wtf: Now me go sleepy. :lol:

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

me too, i'm still lurking though - sort of! just thought i'd pop in, say hi, and then return to the lurk :):thumbsup:

3. Destiny

Hey now no lurking lol. Common out of the shadows, we don't bite, we might nip but who doesn't? *looks around* What? :p

Think of it this way, how can we talk about BB and our teams, if no one is talking about it? ;)

4. Destiny

Dammmmn We knew this would happen sometime, I hope he gets well.

Yahoo! News: Cubs' Colvin struck by shattered bat

MIAMI (AP)—Cubs rookie Tyler Colvin was hospitalized Sunday after his chest was punctured by part of a shattered bat.

Colvin was standing on third base in the second inning of Chicago’s 13-3 victory at Florida when he was struck by a sliver of Welington Castillo’s maple bat. Castillo doubled on the play and Colvin scored, but was replaced in the field in the bottom half.

“I feel really bad about it,” Castillo said. “It wasn’t on purpose, but he’s my teammate. I hope he’s getting better.”

A Cubs spokesman said Colvin was in stable condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital and is expected to remain there for the next few days for observation.

Colvin was watching Castillo’s liner into the left-field corner and looked surprised when he was hit by the bat.

“These bats, I’m amazed it doesn’t happen more,” Cubs manager Mike Quade said. “We have seen guys get hit with pieces, but to actually get stabbed with one, I just don’t ever remember (seeing it).”

A Cubs trainer said Colvin was hit in his upper right chest, allowing air into his chest well and potentially into his lungs. He had very little external bleeding.

Colvin was being treated with a chest tube to prevent a collapsed lung.

The right fielder is expected to miss the rest of the season. He hit .254 with 20 homers and 56 RBIs in his first year in the majors.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i saw that on the mlb stream, it looked like something from one of those chinese films, like crouching tiger/hidden dragon, you know when all the spears fly through the air? it also looked really painful.

i guess he was just bloody lucky it hit where it did and not an inch or so away. it was encouraging that he kept running - and really impressive. i doubt i would've!

he's definitely out for the rest of the season tho - apparently he's kind of annoyed about it (understandable), but i think it's for the best!!

it also seems to be making people more keen to get the mlb to look into the usefulness of maple bats, which i think makes a lot of sense.

6. Destiny

Anyone who hasn't seen it Click here from MLB

From the Cubs Website

Colvin in stable condition, done for season Cubs rookie remains in hospital after being hit by bat Sunday

CHICAGO -- Cubs outfielder Tyler Colvin, who was impaled by a broken bat in his chest on Sunday, was in stable condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami on Monday and was expected to stay there a few more days for observation.

"I want to thank Cubs fans for their support all season, especially right now, and let everyone know that I'm doing OK," Colvin said in a statement released by the Cubs on Monday.
    "I also want to thank everyone who has helped take care of me here in Miami -- the Cubs and Marlins training and medical staffs, the EMTs at the ballpark and everyone here at the hospital," he said.

Colvin is done for the season after the freak accident. He was on third when Cubs catcher Welington Castillo hit a broken-bat double to left. Colvin was watching the ball, and then turned to head for home. The sharp end of Castillo's busted bat hit Colvin under the collarbone. He was hospitalized for pneumothorax, which occurs when a person has air trapped in the space between the outside of the lung and inside of the chest wall. The air enters the space when there is a hole in the surface of the lung, which allows air to leak from the lung and into the space.

Colvin finished the season with a .254 average, 20 home runs, 18 doubles, five triples, and 56 RBIs in 135 games.

"You never want to have a season end early, and I'm disappointed that I'm not going to be able to make it through the finish line with the rest of my teammates," Colvin said. "That being said, I couldn't be more thankful for the Cubs organization, my teammates and the opportunity to play for Cubs fans my rookie season. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The Twins just took the lead in the bottom of the 8th and Oakland is leading the White Sox 4-0 early in the game! If Twins win and Sox lose we clinch the division!!!

ETA: Twins won! Now we just gotta wait out the Oakland/Sox game! It was also Gardy's 800th win as manager!

ETA2: White Sox lost! Twins clinch the AL Central!! Whoo Hoo!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  8. Destiny

I hope I am forgive in advance for double posting, I am only doing so cause this thread is the story and the next is my opinion on something said in it. If I posted it all in here no one would ever get out. ;)

Man convicted of murder in Angels pitcher’s death

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP)—A jury convicted a drunken driver of murder Monday in the deaths of promising rookie Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two of his friends.

Andrew Gallo, 23, held white rosary beads and occasionally looked up at jurors as they returned convictions on three counts of second-degree murder and single counts of drunken driving, hit-and-run driving, and driving under the influence of alcohol and causing great bodily injury.

Gallo, who had a previous DUI conviction, was led away in handcuffs and briefly looked over his shoulder at sobbing relatives of the victims who had gathered in the Orange County courtroom.

“What this case has shown is that the accelerator, the gas pedal on an automobile in the wrong hands is as dangerous as the trigger on a gun,” Nigel Pearson, the father of 25-year-old victim Henry Pearson, said outside court. “And in the wrong hands, it can devastate the lives of many, many people.”

Gallo faces 50 years to life in state prison at his scheduled sentencing on Dec. 10.

His attorney Jacqueline Goodman said Gallo would appeal.

“I think it’s tragic,” she told reporters. “I think there’s been a miscarriage of justice.”

Prosecutors said they charged the case as a second-degree murder instead of the lesser charge of manslaughter because Gallo had a previous DUI conviction, had specific knowledge of the dangers of drinking and driving from his own experience, and had signed a court form from the earlier case saying he understood he could be charged with murder if he drove drunk again and killed someone.

To win a murder conviction, prosecutors had to show Gallo acted with implied malice, intentionally drove drunk, acted with a conscious disregard for human life, and knew from his personal experience that he could kill someone.

Adenhart, 22, died just hours after pitching six scoreless innings in his season debut. Pearson and Courtney Stewart, 20, also died in the April 9, 2009, collision in Fullerton. Passenger Jon Wilhite was severely injured.

Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said it was the 11th DUI-related murder conviction in the county since 2008.

“People are dying here,” Rackauckas told reporters. “We want to get the message out there as well as we can that people will be prosecuted for murder when they engage in this type of conduct.”

Jurors, who began deliberations Thursday, said they had intense discussions and were well-aware that Gallo had not only ruined the lives of the victims’ families but also his own.

“It was emotional,” juror Beth Smith said after leaving the courtroom. “I think a lot of us lost sleep over this.”

Her eyes welling with tears, Stewart’s mother said she felt relieved to finally have a verdict.

“It won’t bring Courtney back, but I know she’s looking down on us and she’s happy,” said Carrie Stewart-Dixon, who wore a pink and white bracelet bearing her daughter’s name. “It was justice for the kids—and all our families.”

Prosecutors alleged during the two-week trial that Gallo, whose blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit, spent hours drinking beers and shots with his stepbrother at three different bars before running a red light and T-boning the car driven by Stewart.

Prosecutor Susan Price told jurors that Gallo had been repeatedly warned by friends, family and court officials about the dangers of drinking and driving, but his arrogance and need to party prevented him from learning the lesson.

Gallo’s attorney said her client believed his stepbrother was his designated driver and only drove after his stepbrother became too intoxicated and asked him to take the wheel. By that point, she argued, Gallo was too drunk to realize the consequences of driving drunk.

In a separate ruling, the judge last week found Gallo guilty of driving on a suspended license.

9. Destiny

Okay I would just like to comment on this. What I just quoted sounds like the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard/read. Give me a frickin' break you are drinking and doing shots with your designated driver stepbrother and it wasn't until you were ready to go that you realized oppsy he got drunk? And if he was too drunk then Gallo should have known that he too would have been too drunk. Hindsight advice, to the dimwits should've called a cab, then maybe no one would have to go through this.

I am sorry I am the type if I even had a sip of anything alcoholic I won't drive, I don't care if it was just enough to make a scent on my breath, and no I am not condeming others who might have one beer and drive. It's just how I and some others I know are. To each their own.

But this doo-doo head just ticks me off cause he KNEW better, he KNEW he could get someone killed and he AGREED to take those keys and make that car a weapon for murder. Now his defense attorney wants to appeal? double doo-doo head, if he was to drunk to realize the consequences of driving drunk, that should have been a CLUE dipstick that he shouldn't have been driving and therefore is guilty! GRR. :scream:

Okay rant, opinion done, unless I think of more.

10. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Last weekend of the regular season is almost here. Things are going to get crazy between the Braves, Giants, and Padres.

11. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

How much better can baseball get. It's the final day of the regular season and there are still playoff teams and places to be decided.

In the American League the East Top spot is up for grabs between New York and Tampa Bay. The winner will take first place the loser will be the Wild Card Team. Go Tampa Bay :) Texas won the West and Minnesota won the Central.

Now the National League is a lot more complicated :eek: Philadelphia won the East and Cincinnati won the Central. In the West San Francisco and San Diego are neck battling it out for top spot PLUS they are also battling Atlanta for the Wild Card Team.

Fun times all around.

Now as to who I would like to see win the World Series I going with Philadelphia. It would be great to see Roy Halladay win his first World Series after the season he's had. I will actually cheer for any team to win as long as it's not the Yankees :D

12. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Post season play starts today! Yankees at Target Field to face the Twins tonight at 7:30 PM CST. Let's go Twins! You can beat these guys!

13. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

The Rangers beat the Rays 5-1. I was so upset that I missed it. I was in school. I hate that the Yankees get the primetime game.

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Roy Halladay of the Phillies has put himself in the record books, again :)

Halladay pitched a no hitter in Philadelphia's 4-0 win over Cincinnati. Don Larson is the only other pitcher to toss a no hitter in post season. Larson took it one step further by making that no hitter a perfect game. Larson's game was in 1956.

Go Phillies Go

15. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

Halladay was awesome in tonight's game and I'm not even a huge baseball fan!