Baseball #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Lets see if I can keep up with the trades.
    Mark DeRosa to St. Louis
    Ryan Garko to Giants
    Raffie Betancourt to Rockies
    Cliff Lee To Philly
    Ben Francisco to Philly

Fausto Carmona returns from minors to ML rotation
    Trevor Crowe Recalled to replaces Ben,
    Andy Marte Recalled to replace Ryan,

Yep thats it, except the rumor of Victor Martinez being traded is still long and big. OY!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Destiny

Well that is no longer a rumor. They traded Victor to Boston.

This is a very, very emotional goodbye for Victor. He sat in front of his locker, with his son, Victor Jose, in his lap and sobbed after getting the news. He spoke to reporters with black sunglasses hiding his red eyes.

Here was his goodbye,

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Destiny I was surprised to see Cliff Lee getting traded :eek: was that the teams decision of did Lee ask to go :confused:

On the Blue Jay front Roy Halladay is still a Jay :) but truthfully for how long remains to be seen. The Jays were asking a lot for the Doc but Doc is also a free agent after next season. Although I don't want to see Halladay go I certainly wouldn't blame him if he wanted out of Toronto. He's played his whole career here and what does he have to show for it-one Cy Young Award. The Jays keep talking each year about 'next' year being more promising. Huh guys you're in 4th place in the American League East :eek:

On another Jay note, 3rd baseman Scott Rolen was traded to the Cincinnati Reds for 3rd baseman Edwin Encarnacion and pitchers Josh Roenicke and Zach Stewart. From reading articles in the local on-line papers Rolen asked to be traded for personal reasons

4. Destiny

Lee had a year and two months, wanted to remain in cleveland and as an Indian. what it was with all these players a salary dump by our wonderful (said sarcasticly) GM.
    Lee Was owned 8 mil in 10
    Martinez 7 mil in 10
    Betancourt 5 mil in 10
    Garko and Francisco were up for arbitration
    DeRosa was a FA in 10.

5. Jacquie

Alex Rios and the Blue Jays have parted way. Rios was placed on waivers last week and the White Sox claimed him. The Jays could have taken him off waivers, worked out a trade or just let him go. They opted for the last option which I scratch my head at. Why not work out a trade and get some players in return :confused:

6. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I think it's mainly to free up the salary. The Jays owed him like $60 million or so over three to four years. So, it's a good move for the Jays, because then they have all that money to potentially sign some impact players.

Hopefully a move that benefits both teams. Go White Sox!!!

7. Destiny

Talk about needing a scape goat..
    There are more articles at Indians.com or at this MSG Board WTAM Radio.

8. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Riiight.

They gutted the whole team this season, have pretty much purged themselves of everyone who was their under the previous ownership/GM, and now they're blaming the manager.:rolleyes: Maybe they need better than a AAA team. That's why Shapiro should go.

9. Destiny

Alot of peeps share that thought, so do I. I mean when they started out 0-5 okay take out the hitting or pitch coach get another, go down the line. But as you said they gutted the team, Dolan claimed that it was basically to appease the fans, BS honest BS. Shapiro admitted him and Eric butted heads. There were some that at the beginning of the season Eric wanted to stay up and some he thought should go back down. He wanted to keep Josh Barfield over Matt LaPorta. Josh worked his tail off learning all the positions, and I mean worked from his words before sun up to after sun down in goodyear.

Shapiro claimed that the gutting was due to the fact that they were low on money.. Well duh, but now look he is going to have to pay for a new manager, and shell out I think 1.3 Mil to Wedge whose contract was up in 2010. (I did post more in the thread on that other board if your interested regarding Wedge and his future). The Dolans made it clear Shapiro is safe in his job. The problem is while Shapiro was playing with the team members you here, you there, new guy in, etc. He wasn't proving he or the Dolans wanted to win crap, they were proving that they were a training camp for other teams. We train them, make them good and send the off to other teams to win.

But I have to give credit, Wedge is a classy guy, he wanted to know before the boston series, he wanted to know for him, his family, staff and most important as he put it his players. It was his idea to do the Press Conference at Progressive field and to talk with the players before hand. He knew all that time and managed not to even let the media see it or the players.

Wedge could only deal with what he was given, and Shapiro made sure it wasn't much. JMO

10. Destiny

Okay first I am like a couple minutes shy of the times up on editing, and second what I am about to post is long and so is the thread above.

11. Jacquie

Out of the not so very surprising department the Toronto Blue Jays have fired General Manage J.P. Ricciardi. I just want to know what took them so long. Alexander Anthopoulos will be the new General Manager. Never heard of the guy but he's been the assistant General Manager.

12. Destiny

I was going to post that but couldn't get the time this morning. as to the new GM.. Here are some links I found if they might help.

An Interview with Alex Anthopoulos - March 2009

Fan590 You can listen to him

Apparently being the Ass GM he was also or still is lol vice president of baseball operations. He is also the one who started coming out and doing interviews when Ricciardi kept stepping in it to say the least.

Wish they would have kept Wedge and let Shapiro go lol. He says he is to blame mostly and then fires Wedge, shoot the only reasons the owners of the Tribe fired Wedge is to appease fans who didn't like him. Shapiro give his bad lemons and he [Wedge] is suppost to make tasty lemonade? don't think so. Victor Martinez recently did an interview on the firing of Wedge and he put it all on the Dolans (owners) and Shapiro (GM) two of whom traded Victor to the Red sox. I think he summed it up nicely..

"I appreciate that now, a lot, all the things he did for me," Martinez said. "He made me a better player. Not only myself. He was a manager that made sure he got everybody ready to play the game. That's big. He lets the players take care of things in the clubhouse. That's something that's great, too. Sometimes it's hard to hear the truth, but he was a guy that's going to tell you the truth. You've got to be a man to play this game, and he really helped me a lot."

"It's pretty sad how everything ended up. It's not their fault, man. It's way easier to blame one guy than 25. What else can they do? The owners give whatever they give to them, and you just go out and compete, and you know how it is. If you want to really compete in the big leagues, you've got to put a really good team together. The team we had, they didn't want to keep it together. That's their thinking. That's their own stuff."

13. Destiny

POST SEASON UPDATE!!

These are the teams that Will move on, then after that who they play and then the schedules as it goes.

Division Series:
    Yankees Move On
    Gm 1 MIN 2 @ NYY 7 Wed Oct. 7
    Gm 2 MIN 3 @ NYY 4 Fri Oct. 9
    Gm 3 NYY 4 @ MIN 1 Sun Oct. 11

Angels Move On
    Gm 1 BOS 0 @ LAA 5 Thu Oct. 8
    Gm 2 BOS 1 @ LAA 4 Fri Oct. 9
    Gm 3 LAA 7 @ BOS 6 Sun Oct. 11

Dodgers Move On
    Gm 1 STL 3 @ LAD 5 Wed Oct. 7
    Gm 2 STL 2 @ LAD 3 Thu Oct. 8
    Gm 3 LAD 5 @ STL 1 Sat Oct. 10

Phillies Moves On
    Gm 1 COL 1 @ PHI 5 Wed Oct. 7
    Gm 2 COL 5 @ PHI 4 Thu Oct. 8
    Gm 3 PHI 6 @ COL 5 Sat Oct. 10
    Gm 4 PHI 5@ COL 4 Sun Oct. 11

Next UP: Times not set by time of this post

League Championship Series:
    AL: Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
    Gm 1 LAA @ NYY Fri Oct. 16 TBD FOX
    Gm 2 LAA @ NYY Sat Oct. 17 TBD FOX
    Gm 3 NYY @ LAA Mon Oct. 19 TBD FOX
    Gm 4 NYY @ LAA Tue Oct. 20 TBD FOX
    Gm 5* NYY @ LAA Thu Oct. 22 TBD FOX
    Gm 6* LAA @ NYY Sat Oct. 24 TBD FOX
    Gm 7* LAA @ NYY Sun Oct. 25 TBD FOX

NL: Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
    Gm 1 PHI @ LAD Thu Oct. 15 TBD TBS
    Gm 2 PHI @ LAD Fri Oct. 16 TBD TBS
    Gm 3 LAD @ PHI Sun Oct. 18 TBD TBS
    Gm 4 LAD @ PHI Mon Oct. 19 TBD TBS
    Gm 5* LAD @ PHI Wed Oct. 21 TBD TBS
    Gm 6* PHI @ LAD Fri Oct. 23 TBD TBS
    Gm 7* PHI @ LAD Sat Oct. 24 TBD TBS

World Series:
    Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
    Gm 1 NL @ AL Wed Oct. 28 TBD FOX
    Gm 2 NL @ AL Thu Oct. 29 TBD FOX
    Gm 3 AL @ NL Sat Oct. 31 TBD FOX
    Gm 4 AL @ NL Sun Nov. 1 TBD FOX
    Gm 5* AL @ NL Mon Nov. 2 TBD FOX
    Gm 6* NL @ AL Wed Nov. 4 TBD FOX
    Gm 7* NL @ AL Thu Nov. 5 TBD FOX

*IF NEEDED

14. Destiny

Congrats go out to Travis Hafner and his wife, Amy, who became the proud parents of a baby boy Wednesday.

Here's the best part. The kid's name? Blake Lee Hafner.

I asked if the name is an homage to two of Hafner's former teammates (he was particularly good buddies with Casey Blake) and was told that Pronk simply loved the name Blake and is firmly expecting to get all kinds of grief from the Dodgers third baseman.

Little Blake is not so little. He weighed in at 9 pounds, 6 ounces.

The Hafner family is said to be doing well.

15. Destiny

Just trying to keep everyone updated as of oct. 17th.

League Championship:

AL: NYY 2- LAA 0
    Gm 1 LAA 1 @ NYY 4 Fri Oct. 16
    Gm 2 LAA 3 @ NYY 4Sat Oct. 17
    Gm 3 NYY @ LAA Mon Oct. 19 4:13 pm FOX
    Gm 4 NYY @ LAA Tue Oct. 20 7:57 pm FOX
    Gm 5* NYY @ LAA Thu Oct. 22 7:57 pm FOX
    Gm 6* LAA @ NYY Sat Oct. 24 4:13 pm FOX
    Gm 7* LAA @ NYY Sun Oct. 25 8:20 pm FOX

NL: PHI 1 - LAD 1
    Gm 1 PHI 8 @ LAD 6 Thu Oct. 15
    Gm 2 PHI 1 @ LAD 2 Fri Oct. 16