Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUZZ LITES

A churchgoer in the Philippines was so dissatisfied with his pastor's sermon that he stabbed him. Jerry Relacion, and unemployed 27-yr. old, recently stabbed the Rev. Armanso de Vera and 4 others because he didn't like the sermon and thought it was "wrong"! [why not just leave?]

Donkey owners in Limuru, Kenya, are fighting mad about having to baby their donkeys and now the towen officials are ordering them to have the animals wear diapers :lol:. Officials believe the diapers will prevent feces from the animals from building up in the streets [well, yeah] but the owners are worried about trying to get the donkeys to wear them, without getting kicked! [and we think we have problems] :confused:

The Buzz. Ken White..LVRJ

Maybe they can get them to record a new version of "Baba O'Riley"

Wanted: 1,000s to Kazoo in NY Record Bid
Aug 2, 9:29 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Members of a 1980s funk and disco group were preparing Thursday to lead an attempt to break the world record for the largest kazoo ensemble.

Organizers were hoping to sign up 3,000 impromptu players for the evening attempt in Harlem, which will be led by the female vocalists of Skyy. Their 1980 song "Skyyzoo" featured the sound of kazoos being played for some gentle backup.

The current kazoo record was set this past New Year's Eve in Rochester, where 2,600 kazooers gathered to play shortly before midnight. Before that, The Quincy Park Band had held the record for gathering 1,791 players in Quincy, Ill., in 2004.

The Harlem kazooers, expected to play along as The Ladies of Skyy perform "Skyyzoo," will have to be "proficient" players, work under the direction of a conductor and play for at least five minutes, said Guinness World Records spokeswoman Laura Plunkett.

Of course, when it comes to kazoos, the ultimate egalitarian instrument, "proficient" is relative.

"While there's skill involved, it's not such a difficult instrument to play," Plunkett said.

Even if the Harlem try succeeds, the new record may not hold for long: The organizers of a festival in Matthews, N.C., reportedly are planning their own attempt for Aug. 31.

With even utter amateurs able to toot one with little instruction, the kazoo has been a classic American instrument since it was invented in the 1840s. The Original American Kazoo Co., established in 1916, still produces the toy players and maintains a museum in the northwest New York community of Eden.

> > > UPDATE < < <

Aug 2, 11:53 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - Members of a 1980s funk and disco group hit a sour note in their attempt to break the world record for the largest kazoo ensemble, falling short of the some 2,600 impromptu musicians needed.

That backup still managed to get louder on Thursday, with more than 2,000 amateur musicians turning out for the concert.

Can I sue Microscoff for including Taipei with Windows?

Study: Mahjong Can Lead to Seizures
Aug 4, 10:55 AM (ET)

HONG KONG (AP) - Playing the popular Chinese tile game mahjong can lead to seizures, Hong Kong researchers say, calling the phenomenon "mahjong epilepsy."

In a study published in the Hong Kong Medical Journal's August edition, researchers from the Queen Mary Hospital reviewed 23 cases of mahjong players in Taiwan and Hong Kong who suffered seizures. They concluded that mahjong-induced epilepsy is a specific condition - not the result of the stress or exhaustion associated with the game.

Most of the 23 patients never suffered seizures other than when playing mahjong and the seizures occurred as early as one hour into their games, the researchers said. One patient stopped having seizures after quitting mahjong but relapsed after taking up the game again, according to the study.

The researchers called mahjong a "cognitively demanding game."

"It involves substantial higher mental processing and outputs: memory, concentration, calculations, reasoning, strategies, sequential thinking and planning," they said.

-=-=-=-=-

Library Patron Accused of Selling Books
Aug 5, 3:27 AM (ET)

DENVER (AP) - A library patron suspected of selling hundreds of books, tapes and DVDs he had borrowed has cost Denver-area libraries tens of thousands of dollars, officials said.

Thomas Pilaar, 33, was suspected of using different names to obtain seven library cards from the Denver Public Library, then checking out 300 items per card and selling at least some of the items, KCNC-TV in Denver reported.

"It appears his intent was to sell 2,100 (items) from the Denver Library collection," Denver Public Library spokeswoman M. Celeste Jackson told the station. She estimated the losses at about $35,000.

Arapahoe County library administrators said Pilaar obtained three library cards and checked out 250 to 300 items.

BEAR THAT ENTERED HOME KILLED

Incline Village, NV.>> A bear that wandered into a Lake Tahoe home through an open window was killed this past Thursday, after lunging at a Washoe County sheriff's deputy. Anthorities said the home-owner called for help after finding the bear in the main part of the house around 5:30 am, and then ran and hid with other family members in the master bedroom, and called 911... Sgt. Erik Frederickson looked in through the open sliding glass door and saw the bear, and the bear then spotted him and charged, he had just enough time to shoot his shotgun, but, the bear kept going and was eventually killed by other wildlife experts who had arrived on the scene!! [gawd, I'd totally freak] :eek:

LVRJ

Man Smuggles Monkey Into NYC Airport
Aug 7, 10:35 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - A man smuggled a monkey onto an airplane Tuesday, stashing the furry fist-size primate under his hat until passengers spotted it perched on his ponytail, an airline official said.

The monkey escapade began in Lima, Peru, late Monday, when the man boarded a flight to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said Spirit Airlines spokeswoman Alison Russell. After landing Tuesday morning, the man waited several hours before catching a connecting flight to LaGuardia Airport.

During the flight, people around the man noticed that the marmoset, which normally lives in forests and eats fruit and insects, had emerged from underneath his hat, Russell said.

"Other passengers asked the man if he knew he had a monkey on him," she said.

The monkey spent the remainder of the flight in the man's seat and behaved well, said Russell, who didn't know how it skirted customs and security.

Airport police were waiting for the man and his monkey when the plane landed about 3 p.m., and the man was taken away for questioning. It was unclear whether he would face any criminal charges.

The city's animal control agency said the monkey appeared healthy. But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was planning to take it for disease testing and keep it quarantined for 31 days, CDC spokesman Tom Skinner said.

If the monkey is healthy, it could wind up in a zoo.

"It is kind of a spirited monkey," Russell said. "That will be the nickname of the monkey: Spirit."

COUPLE HAS 17th CHILD, BEGINS PLANS FOR MORE :eek: are they nuts?

Little Rock, Ark... It's a girl..again..for Jim Bob, and Michelle Duggar, the proud parents of 17 children. After Jennifer Danielle was born, her parents were talking about having more children. 'we'd love to have more," MIchelle said, adding that the girls are ounumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace" The faily's home in the northwest Arkansas town of Tontitown, Ark. includes dormitory-style bedrooms for the boys and girls, 9 bathrooms, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers. The children are home schooled by Michelle age 40 [teach them birth-control] and the oldest is 19 and the youngest before Jennifer is 2. The family includes two sets of twins!! get real :rolleyes:

lVRJ

Who needs CSIs with idiots like these?

Thieves Tracked by Trail of Wrappers
Aug 8, 7:26 PM (ET)

PASADENA, Md. (AP) - Doctors often warn of the health risks of eating junk food, but it seems the treats can be a problem for burglars, too.

Four teenagers broke into a gas station early Wednesday and left a trail of candy bar wrappers along the road as they left, said Cpl. Mark Shawkey, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Police Department. A police dog located the teens a quarter-mile away.

"Never heard of a K-9 having that extra help in completing a track," Shawkey said.

Three boys and a girl, ages 15 and 16, were charged with burglary and theft. They were not named because of their ages.

Shawkey said the teens stole candy, chips and cigars from the BP station. Most of the junk food was found scattered around the road where they were apprehended.

-=-=-=-=-

Convenience Store Turns Tables on Robber
Aug 9, 1:53 AM (ET)

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - A robber's clumsy pursuit of cash left him staring at the barrel of his own shotgun after he set it on the convenience store counter and the clerk snatched it up, officials said.

A surveillance video captured the man in sunglasses and a hooded sweat shirt, stuffing money from the register into his pockets, leaving his gun unattended early Tuesday.

That's when Quail Street News clerk Hafiz Alam grabbed the weapon by the barrel, quickly turned it around and pointed it at the man, who dashed out.

Seconds later, robber rushed back into the store and leapt over the counter. Alam and Walker struggled over the gun off camera. The gun went off, but neither man was injured.

The robber drove off, but not before a truck driver took down his license plate number.

Police said they tracked the suspect to an Albany apartment, where they launched tear gas inside and got the 22-year-old to surrender. Walker was arrested and charged with robbery.

desertwind said:
COUPLE HAS 17th CHILD, BEGINS PLANS FOR MORE :eek: are they nuts?

Little Rock, Ark... It's a girl..again..for Jim Bob, and Michelle Duggar, the proud parents of 17 children. After Jennifer Danielle was born, her parents were talking about having more children. 'we'd love to have more," MIchelle said, adding that the girls are ounumbered seven to 10 in the family. "We love the ruffles and lace" The faily's home in the northwest Arkansas town of Tontitown, Ark. includes dormitory-style bedrooms for the boys and girls, 9 bathrooms, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers. The children are home schooled by Michelle age 40 [teach them birth-control] and the oldest is 19 and the youngest before Jennifer is 2. The family includes two sets of twins!! get real :rolleyes:

lVRJ

this isn't strange in here... I mean. There's this one religious group, which works inside the Lutheral church, they are called laestadians more info here
and because birth control isn't allowed (along with tv, alcohol, tobacco, dancing and popular music and a bunch of other things) they can easily have that amount of kids. The Largest family I know had 18 kids. 16 girls and 2 boys.
But I think nowadays they (if they do believe in their views) may stick with 6-10 kids.
It's hard sometimes if you don't know who is part of this group and who is not. We had on boy in our class at Upper Secondary School. We started practising dances (such as waltz) and he refused and my friend was like "c'mon, everyone else dances!" until I managed to whisper my friend of this guy's religious views so she let go and he went to do other things.
Anyways... it has been spread to USA when immigrants from here and Sweden went there.

WOW, REALLY? And some couples now-a-days only have, or want one.. bet the mom will never have a flat tummy again :( or a good night's sleep :( whatever turns one on.. I can't imagaine this, wonder if they ever forget the kids names? and sports events, and dancing school/piano lsssons, and who drives them everywhere? boogles the mind :confused:

My dad had enough trouble with the names of my two brothers and me. Kept getting us mixed up. Image if he had 17 children.

There was a show on TLC that was about a family that had 15 children and then they wanted to have one more. And they were also building a house. The mom homeschooled them so I guess that this family does the same. Oh and they also had like a mini store to store all their food. Its really cool.

desertwind said:
WOW, REALLY? And some couples now-a-days only have, or want one.. bet the mom will never have a flat tummy again :( or a good night's sleep :( whatever turns one on.. I can't imagaine this, wonder if they ever forget the kids names? and sports events, and dancing school/piano lsssons, and who drives them everywhere? boogles the mind :confused:

These our people usually get married asap and once they get married they start to have kids. Few kms from here there is like... 30 kids in 5 houses. They usually build a house near their home. They actually can have music as a hobby - as long as it's christian music. From that 18 kid family the other boy was one year in the same class with me (in Upper Secondary School) and he sang in church and MAN he was so amazing :eek: And what is worst to see is that the most fanatic ones believe "God will take care of them" so you often see some 8-yr-old driving a snowmobile and 2-3 younger siblings with him/her :rolleyes:
And here they go to school, no homeschooling here.

Wienermobile Gets Parking Ticket
Aug 10, 8:37 AM (ET)

CHICAGO (AP) - A parking ticket topped the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile after it was left parked illegally on a downtown Chicago thoroughfare.

The 27-foot fiberglass sausage was ticketed Thursday morning after its driver parked it on Michigan Avenue and left it on the side of the six-lane road with the hazard lights blinking.

A police officer ticketed the vehicle and radioed for a tow truck, but the car's driver and passenger returned before the truck arrived.

"The situation was resolved without the use of ketchup, which in Chicago is a big thing," said Matt Smith of the city's Streets and Sanitation Department.

Smith said a city tow truck could have done the job, if necessary.

"We have access to tow trucks that could have handled a Polish sausage, not just a hot dog," Smith said.

Parking on a street marked "Parking/Standing Prohibited Anytime" is a $50 violation, said Ed Walsh, a spokesman for the city's Department of Revenue.

Kraft spokeswoman Sydney Lindner said the Wienermobile is on a nationwide tour promoting a contest to sing the Oscar Mayer jingle in a commercial.

She said illegal parking is against company policy, "even if you're driving a company vehicle that's shaped like a giant hot dog."

-=-=-=-=-

Bat Triggers Alarm and Closes Tunnel
Aug 10, 10:17 AM (ET)

BERLIN (AP) - A bat set off a fire alarm in a German highway tunnel early Friday, forcing an hour-long closure and causing long delays, police said.

Police in Goettingen said the animal apparently landed on a smoke detector or a pipe in the Heidkopf tunnel - triggering a fire alarm, which automatically led to the tunnel being closed in both directions at about 4:45 a.m.

Police and fire officers searched the tunnel and surveillance camera footage for signs of a blaze, but to no avail.

After about an hour, the tunnel - and the A38 highway, a busy east-west route - was reopened.

A tailback of about 800 yards built up in one direction, while cars queued for more than a mile at the tunnel's other entrance.

-=-=-=-=-

Beheaded Snake Sends Man to Hospital
Aug 9, 10:06 PM (ET)

PROSSER, Wash. (AP) - Turns out, even beheaded rattlesnakes can be dangerous. That's what 53-year-old Danny Anderson learned as he was feeding his horses Monday night, when a 5-foot rattler slithered onto his central Washington property, about 50 miles southeast of Yakima.

Anderson and his 27-year-old son, Benjamin, pinned the snake with an irrigation pipe and cut off its head with a shovel. A few more strikes to the head left it sitting under a pickup truck.

"When I reached down to pick up the head, it raised around and did a backflip almost, and bit my finger," Anderson said. "I had to shake my hand real hard to get it to let loose."

His wife insisted they go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived at Prosser Memorial Hospital 10 minutes later, Anderson's tongue was swollen and the venom was spreading. He then was taken by ambulance 30 miles to a Richland hospital to get the full series of six shots he needed.

I'm not sure if this counts for the bizarre news or not but I'm going to post it anyway.

I live in a really small town and in the last month two bodies have been found. One in the garden section of the local walmart. Less than a mile from where I live. The other was found two two days ago in a truck outside of my freiends' appartment complex. My friend said she watched as the cops came and as they took care of the body. "It was like watching CSI" she told me. I just can't believe that two poeple have died in my tiny little town in the past month. Supposedly murdered and left sitting where they fell.

Yes, lostlady that would be considered bizzare, and creepy.. lordie I worked along time ago briefly in the garden shop and a Wal-Mart. I can't imagine finding a dead body..EWWWWWWWWWW :eek: keep us posted on the details, or call Grissom!

DEALER DELIVERS A DIME WORTH $1.9 MILLION

John Feigenbaqum didn't sleep at all during his cross country flight to deliver a dime worth $1.9 million. Feigenbaum, 38, of Virginia Beach, VA. is a rare coin collector/dealer, and was flying from San Jose, CA. to New York City with an 1894-S dime, one of only 24 known to be coined in 1894 in San Francisco, on Monday form the sellers vault in Oakland. He delivered it to the buyers vault the following day in Manhanttan. Feigenbaum said he and the sleer's agent will split the commission on the dime, which was encassed in a 3-inch-square block of plastic. Shortly after boarding the plane, he transferred the dime form his pants pocket to his briefcase. He kept checking to make sure the dime was safe by reaching into his briefcase constantly to feel for it. "It's the Holy Grail of coins" he said

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back