Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny :lol: and Grissom might be interested!

BUZZ LITES

Peg-legged pirates got disibility benefits

Having a disability might hinder your chances for employment at some jobs, but not for career pirates. Pirate historian Colin Woodward, author of "The Republic of Pirates" [never knew there was such a thing] claims some sea captains offered crew members who accidentlly fell from the crows nest some extra doubloons. Swashbuckling injuries were so common that "a certain share of the plunder was set aside like a primative disabilty benefit" Woodard says. Pirates also were the first equal opportnity employers. Many runaway slaves left their plantations for life on the high seas. And pirates even supported womens rights... or at least a woman's right to crossdress :eek:!

Ken White.. The Buzz.. LVRJ

Here is one in Horatio's jurisdiction...

Wendy's Manager Shot Over Chili Sauce
May 29, 10:34 PM (ET)

MIAMI (AP) - A manager at a fast-food restaurant was shot several times in the arm early Tuesday trying to protect the chili sauce, authorities said.

A man in the Wendy's drive-through argued with an employee because he wanted more of the condiment, police said. The worker told the customer that restaurant policy prohibited a customer from getting more than three packets.

The man insisted on 10, reports said. The employee complied, but police said the customer wanted even more.

The manager came out to speak to the man, said Miami-Dade police spokesman Mary Walter. The customer then shot the manager, who was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

The customer fled in his vehicle with a female passenger, authorities said.

-=-=-=-=-

Burglar Steals West Va. Cop's Equipment
May 30, 4:28 AM (ET)

BECKWITH, W.Va. (AP) - A burglar broke into a police officer's home and stole handcuffs, a 40-caliber Glock service pistol, a police radio and a duty belt.

The burglar also took $2,175 worth of other items, including a PlayStation 2 game console, video games, a portable DVD player, a cell phone and cash, State Police Cpl. R. C. Workman said.

Workman said the unidentified officer and his family were not home when the break-in happened.

He said the gun, valued at $500, is a model that could be purchased anywhere, but the $1,800 radio is not an item a civilian would have.

Police do not know whether the burglar knew a police officer lived in the house, Workman said.

-=-=-=-=-

$1M Gold Bathtub Stolen From Japan Hotel
May 30, 4:29 AM (ET)

TOKYO (AP) - A glittering bathtub made of gold worth nearly $1 million has been stolen from a resort hotel, an official said Wednesday.

A worker at Kominato Hotel Mikazuki in Kamogawa, south of Tokyo, notified police that the fancy tub was missing from the hotel's guest bathroom on the 10th floor, according to a local police official who only gave his surname, Ogawa.

The round tub, worth $987,000, is made of 18-karat gold and weighs 176 pounds.

The tub, flanked by two crane statues, has been a main feature of the hotel's shared bathroom. Visitors can take a dip in the tub, but it is only available a few hours a day "for security reasons," the hotel's Web site said.

Someone apparently cut the chain attached to the door of a small section of the bathroom where the bathtub was placed, but not riveted, and made off with the tub, Ogawa said.

"We have no witness information and there are no video cameras," he said. "We have no idea who took it," the official said.

LIZARD ELUDES CAPTURE AFTER POLICE SHOOT IT

Casselberry, FLA.

Police say they're sure they shot a 4-foot-long, 80-pound monitor lizard that had been lurking in an Orlando suburb for months. Still neighbors aren't ready to let their children or pets back outside until they see a carcass. The lizard didn't bite anyone, but officers were authorized to kill it because of potential danger it posed to small children or animals. An officer shot the reptile twice Sunday but wan't close enough to catch it before the animal scampered in to a low-lying pool of water, said Lt. Dennis Stewart of the Casselberry Police Dept. Authorites said the lizard was likely a pet :eek: that escaped or was illegally dumped. For months it has eludedd wildlife officials and trappers!

LVRJ

No, it wasn't found in the school cafeteria.

Researchers Find 2,100 Year-Old Melon
Jun 1, 10:08 AM (ET)
By KOZO MIZOGUCHI

TOKYO (AP) - Archaeologists digging in western Japan have excavated what they believe to be the oldest remains of a melon ever found, an official said Friday.

Based on a radiocarbon analysis, researchers estimate the half-rounded piece of fruit to be about 2,100 years old, said Shuji Yamazaki, a local official in the city of Moriyama.

The remains are believed to be the oldest of a melon that still has flesh on the rind, Yamazaki said. Previously, the oldest such find was believed to be remains found in China that date back to the fourth century A.D., according to local media reports.

The melon might have been so well-preserved because it was in a vacuum-packed state in a wet layer below the ground, an environment hostile to microorganisms that might otherwise have broken down the remains, Yamazaki said.

Melon seeds have been often found in archaeological digs around the country, but researchers rarely find the remains of melon flesh, Yamazaki said.

Moriyama is about 330 kilometers (205 miles) southwest of Tokyo.

-=-=-=-=-

Man Says He Captured Loch Ness on Film
Jun 1, 4:58 AM (ET)
By BEN McCONVILLE

(AP) This shadowy something is what someone says is a photo of the Loch Ness monster in Scotland. An...
Full Image

EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) - The Loch Ness monster is back - and there's video. A man has captured what Nessie watchers say is possible footage of the supposed mythical creature beneath Scotland's most mysterious lake.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this jet black thing, about 45 feet long, moving fairly fast in the water," said Gordon Holmes, the 55-year-old a lab technician from Shipley, Yorkshire, who took the video Saturday.

Nessie watcher and marine biologist Adrian Shine viewed the video and hoped to properly analyze it in the coming months.

"I see myself as a skeptical interpreter of what happens in the loch, but I do keep an open mind about these things and there is no doubt this is some of the best footage I have seen," said Shine, of the Loch Ness 2000 center in Drumnadrochit, on the shores of the lake.

Holmes said whatever it was moved at about 6 mph and kept a fairly straight course.

"My initial thought is it could be a very big eel, they have serpent-like features and they may explain all the sightings in Loch Ness over the years."

Loch Ness is surrounded by myth. It's the largest inland body of water in Britain, and at about 750 feet to the bottom, it's even deeper than the North Sea.

"There are a number of possible explanations to the sightings in the loch. It could be some biological creature, it could just be the waves of the loch or it could some psychological phenomenon in as much as we see what we want to see," Shine said.

While many sightings can be attributed to a drop of the local whisky, legends of Scottish monsters date back to one of the founders of the Christian church in Scotland, St. Columba, who wrote of them in about 565 A.D.

More recently, there have been more than 4,000 purported Nessie sightings since she was first caught on camera by a surgeon on vacation in the 1930s.

Since then, the faithful have speculated about it is a completely unknown species, a sturgeon - even though they have not been native to Scotland's waters for many years - or even a last surviving dinosaur.

Real or imagined, Nessie has long been a Scottish emblem. She has been the muse for cuddly toys and immortalized on T-shirts and posters showing her classic three-humped image.

On Thursday, a group of Scottish business owners launched a bid to nominate Loch Ness for World Heritage site status - though they cited its natural beauty, not Nessie. The Destination Loch Ness consortium must submit the nomination to the British government, which would decide whether to forward it to UNESCO.

The Scottish media is skeptical of Nessie stories but Holmes' footage is of such good quality that even the normally reticent BBC Scotland aired the video on its main news program Tuesday.

PHONY EXCUSES DON'T WORK WITH TRAFFIC COPS

Next time you get pulled over by a cop, keep the outrageous excuses to youself, says Glendale, Calif. police officer Ed Malouf, who stars in Court TV's new show "Speeders". Everyone's got an excuse, one person told me "I didn't know my car could go this fast" :lol: another said, "I just bought new sandals and they're very slippery and making me press harder on the gas" "I've pretty much heard it all", Malouf said. Instead of coming up with bogus excuses, he urges drivers to be cooperative and respectful, and to save those reasons for the judge. " Almost everyone I pull over says they were speeding because they had to go to the bathroom, but as soon as I come up with a ticket, they don't have to go anymore"

LVRJ

Iowa's Bob L. Head wins national bobblehead contest

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) --- Voters selected Bob L. Head, the Iowa version, to become the model for a bobblehead that will be given to fans at PGE Park on Aug. 18.

The Portland Beavers, the Triple-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres, asked online voters to decide which of three Bob L. Heads should be the star of the unusual promotion: Bob Leroy Head of Maquoketa, Iowa; Bob Lee Head of Evansville, Ind.; or Bob Louis Head of Vallejo, Calif.

Bob Leroy Head won in a landslide, collecting 51 percent of the almost 30,000 votes cast, the Beavers announced after Thursday's voting deadline. Bob Lee Head had 34 percent and Bob Louis Head finished with 15 percent.

Bob Leroy Head worked hard to obtain the coveted prize, printing business cards detailing his quest and even garnering some online votes in Japan, Spain and Norway.

"I was really surprised at the support in Maquoketa and across Iowa and clear across the country," Head said. "I've had more people say they voted for me because I was the one who most looked like a bobblehead. It's still kind of dazzling."

The first 2,000 fans at the Aug. 18 game will receive a Bob Leroy Head bobblehead. He will throw out the ceremonial first pitch, and the two runners-up will be invited to join him.

"All three Bobs were great sports, and we are excited to have the three of them together in Portland so they can meet and have fun with the event," said Ripper Hatch, the Beavers' vice president of marketing and ticket sales.

Head conducted an international campaign that included support from friends, friends of friends and a former foreign exchange student from Spain that he hosted several years ago.

He said the business cards also bolstered his chances. The cards pictured a bobblehead wearing a Hawaiian shirt with his image superimposed on it. On the cards, Head gave the Web site and instructions on how to vote.

"I did the cards because at the beginning people said they didn't remember the Web site," he said. "Then the cards took a life of their own. ... My grandkids took them to school, so they went all over."

Man Beats World Hot Dog Eating Record
Jun 3, 5:56 AM (ET)
By BOB CHRISTIE

PHOENIX (AP) - A California man smashed the world record for hot dog eating at a contest Saturday, gobbling up more than 59 franks in 12 minutes.

Joey Chestnut, 23, of San Jose, shattered the record held by Takeru Kobayashi of Japan by downing 59 1/2 "HDBs" - hot dogs and buns - during the Southwest Regional Hot Dog Eating Championship at the Arizona Mills Mall in suburban Tempe.

Kobayashi's old record of 53 3/4 was set last year at Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest, held at Coney Island in New York, said George Costos, who helps runs the regional contests for Nathan's.

Chestnut placed second in last year's world championships, consuming 52 hot dogs.

"He's unbelievable - he just keeps on going," said Ryan Nerz, who works for Major League Eating, which he describes as "a world governing board for all stomach-centric sports."

"These guys' numbers have just been going up at a tremendous clip," Nerz said. "I always thought there was a limit - a limit to the human stomach and a limit to human willpower - but I guess not."

Chestnut won a free trip to New York, a year's supply of hot dogs and a $250 gift card to the mall.

He flew to New York on Saturday night for a previously scheduled trip to throw out the first pitch Sunday at a game between the New York Mets and the Arizona Diamondbacks, Costos said.

THAT'S DISGUSTING, I CAN HARDLY CHOKE DOWN ONE :mad:

BUZZ LITES

A Wisconsin man with a prosthetic leg put the medal to the pedeal and ran his truck through a liquor store wall. Maetin E.Nehl's prosthesis slipped off the brake pedal and onto the gas, then became jammed between the two, causing his pick-up truck to crash into the building!

A priest from the Church of Sweden recently had an eye-opening expierence when one of his parish members spiked his coffee with amphetamines. The holy man then drove in a heavenly high through the streets of Malmo, Sweden, only to have his transcendental trip cut short by police who pulled him over for driving erratically. [not nice] :(

The Buzz..Ken White.. LVRJ

ha that bit about the priest is kinda funy though!

eesh I never thought about the dangers of driving with a prosthetic leg before lol!

BUZZ BRIEFS

Akano Nzerem of San Francisco will stand trial for allegedly grabbing his wife in a bear hug and biting off her lip after she called him 'short' :lol: Doctors were unable to reattach the lip!!

Farmers in Madrid, pain are milking W.A. Mozart. Chirigota Farm treats it's cows to symphonies from Mozart during milking time to help them relax. But if that wasn't enough, they even give the cattle waterbeds to rest on! :eek: [OK, do cows really want to sleep on waterbeds?]

The Buzz..Ken White LVRJ
kwhite@reviewjournal.com

From the South Bend Tribune
June 07. 2007 6:59AM

Semi-truck takes man and wheelchair for a ride down Red Arrow Highway :eek:

Tribune Staff Report

PAW PAW, Mich. -- A 21-year-old man was taken on a wild ride Wednesday afternoon when the wheelchair he was in became attached to the grille of a semi-truck and was taken four miles down a highway at about 50 mph.

The man, whose name police did not release, was not injured. The driver was unaware he was pushing the man, according to a news release from the Michigan State Police.

Authorities began receiving calls about 4 p.m. that the semi was traveling westbound on Red Arrow Highway, just outside of Paw Paw, with the wheelchair.

"You are not going to believe this, (but) there is a semi pushing a guy in a wheelchair on Red Arrow Highway," an unknown caller told the Michigan State Police.

Police at first believed the calls were pranks. But when troopers responded to the Ralph Moyle Trucking Co. at 39269 Red Arrow Highway where the semi had come to a stop, they noticed the wheelchair with the man sitting in it, still attached.

"It was quite a ride," the man reportedly told police.

"The man spilled his soda pop, but he wasn't upset," Sgt. Kathy Morton of the Michigan State Police said.

Police said the man was unharmed and unfazed by the incident.

The driver was in disbelief when he stepped out of the semi and saw what he had picked up along the way, police said.

"When he saw us, he was like, 'What's going on?'" Morton said.

An investigation revealed the driver had pulled out of a local gas station when the man in the wheelchair pulled in front of the semi, according to police. His wheelchair somehow became lodged by its handles to the front grille.

"Thank God the semi didn't go on (Interstate) 94," Morton said.

-=-=-=-=-

Woman Arrested for Making Faces at Dog
Jun 7, 7:34 AM (ET)

CHELSEA, Vt. (AP) - A prosecutor has dropped charges against a woman who was arrested for staring at and making faces at a police dog.

"Prosecuting a woman for 'staring' at a police dog is absurd," said her lawyer. "People are allowed to make faces at police dogs and officers to express their disapproval. It's constitutional expression," said public defender Kelly Green, who represented Jayna Hutchinson.

Hutchinson, 33, of Lebanon, N.H., was charged with cruelty to a police animal and resisting arrest after a July 31 incident in West Fairlee in which police were called to a market to investigate a report of a brawl. They were approached by Hutchinson, who told one officer she had been assaulted the day before by one of the men involved.

She asked Vermont State Police Sgt. Todd Protzman to take her statement but he refused, telling her she smelled like alcohol and was drunk but that he would take her statement at another time.

After a heated exchange, she approached Protzman's cruiser, where his dog Max was waiting, putting her face within inches of the window and "staring at him in a taunting/harassing manner," Protzman wrote in an affidavit.

"While the defendant taunted my canine, Max was focused on the defendant and the perceived threat she presented to him," the affidavit said. "He was no longer focused on me and the other officers at the scene."

Officers arrested Hutchinson, adding the resisting arrest charge because she pulled her arms and upper body away during the arrest. She registered 0.21 percent blood-alcohol content on a breath test, more than twice the legal limit for drivers in Vermont.

On Tuesday, two days before Hutchinson was to go to trial, Orange County State's Attorney Will Porter decided to drop the charges, after viewing a videotape of the incident over the weekend.

"I think it was going to be difficult to prove her conduct changed the dog's behavior," Porter said. "Most of the time (in harassment cases) people would come tell the court what it felt like. Dogs can't do that."

Without the cruelty charge, jurors would be unlikely to convict her on the resisting arrest, Porter said.

Patient bleeds dark green blood.
BBC.

A team of Canadian surgeons got a shock when the patient they were operating on began shedding dark greenish-black blood, the Lancet reports.
The man emulated Star Trek's Mr Spock - the Enterprise's science officer who supposedly had green Vulcan blood.
In this case, the unusual colour of the 42-year-old's blood was down to the migraine medication he was taking.
The man's leg surgery went ahead successfully and his blood returned to normal once he eased off the drug.
The patient had been taking large doses of sumatriptan - 200 milligrams a day.
This had caused a rare condition called sulfhaemoglobinaemia, where sulphur is incorporated into the oxygen-carrying compound haemoglobin in red blood cells.
Describing the case in The Lancet, the doctors led by Dr Alana Flexman from St Paul's Hospital in Vancouver wrote: "The patient recovered uneventfully, and stopped taking sumatriptan after discharge.
"When seen five weeks after his last dose, he was found to have no sulfhaemoglobin in his blood."
The man had needed urgent surgery because he had developed a dangerous condition in his legs after falling asleep in a sitting position.
The surgeons performed urgent fasciotomies, limb-saving procedures which involve making surgical incisions to relieve pressure and swelling caused by the man's condition - compartment syndrome.
In compartment syndrome, the swelling and pressure in a restricted space limits blood flow and causes localised tissue and nerve damage.
It is commonly caused by trauma, internal bleeding or a wound dressings or cast being too tight.
According to the science fantasy television series Star Trek, Mr Spock had green blood because the oxidizing agent in Vulcan blood is copper, not iron, as it is in humans.
Mr Spock had a human mother, and Vulcan father, from who he inherited his inability to make sense of human emotion, as well as his green blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back