Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
BROWN-NOSERS DAY

Great gift ideas to honor bosses :(

Bosses need love too, and one web-site is making sure no head honches are left behind on Bosses day Oct. 16the. Bob Zakrzewski, who runs findgift.com a Web-site dedicated to helping co-workers find gifts for any occasion, says a great gift for this year is the "Dartboard Decision Maker" which is a cork dartboard with sayings such as "leave early, if you want" "no" and "get lunch" to help bosses make tough decisions!! Also popular is the "Pimp My Cubicle Kit", which comes with a complete dollar sign paperweight and gold push pins so execs can add some bling-bling to their desk!! If some brown-nosing is needed around the office, the "Boss Of The Year" magazine is the perfect gift chopice. The kit lets you digitally put a picture of your boss on a fake magazine cover. It makes them feel important, Zakrzewski, days

The Buzz- Ken White-LVRJ

Man eats 247 jalapenos to win contest
October 9, 2006
Associated Press

DALLAS --A 62-year-old retired accountant from Nevada swallowed 247 peppers in eight minutes to win the Jalapeno Eating World Championship at the State Fair of Texas.

Richard LeFevre won $2,000 for prevailing in Sunday's contest, which was sponsored by the International Federation of Competitive Eating.

"I love to eat, and I love to compete, so the two go pretty well together," said LeFevre, the world's eighth-ranked eater according to the federation.

LeFevre, who has also won the fair's World Corny Dog Eating Contest three times, said his winning strategy was to mix three or four peppers in his mouth with a swig of milk before swallowing.

LeFevre was one of four professional eaters who took the top four places in the competition.

Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas said she had never eaten a jalapeno before the contest. Ranked third in the world by the federation, she downed 239 peppers to take second place and $1,000 in prize money.

Christopher Huang, of Arlington, entered the competition even though he doesn't normally eat spicy foods.

"I eat mild salsa," Huang said. "But there's nothing like putting yourself through a lot of pain for no reason."

The 26-year-old required several minutes of recovery time after eating 53 jalapenos.

"I cant feel my face," he said when he was able to speak again.

Dr. Daniel DeMarco, a gastroenterologist and director of endoscopy at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, said the amount of jalapenos consumed in an eating contest is more harmful than the burn.

"It's really pretty stupid," DeMarco said. "Like any sort of abuse of your body, it doesn't make any sense."

He said long-term complications are unlikely, but there are some risks.

"If they get sick, they're going to be vomiting it up, and that can cause esophageal tears," he said.

Another indigestion item. Don't tell Grissom.

Cockroach-eating contest bugs animal group
Oct 11, 7:50 AM (ET)

TORONTO (Reuters) - An animal rights group called Tuesday for a North American theme park operator to cancel a competition in which people will try to break the world cockroach-eating record.

Theme park operator Six Flags Inc, based in New York, is staging the contest as part of a promotion leading up to Halloween in which it is also offering customers free entry or line-jumping advantages if they eat a live Madagascar hissing cockroach.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it had been flooded with calls from children, adults and even anonymous employees of Six Flags opposing the record-breaking contest and the overall promotion.

"Insects do not deserve to be eaten alive especially for a gratuitous marketing gimmick," PETA spokeswoman Jackie Vergerio told Reuters.

The competition to beat the world cockroach eating record is being held Friday at a Six Flags park in Gurnee, Illinois. Anyone who beats the record will win a season pass for four people for 2007 with VIP queue-jumping status.

Competitors will try to break the current world record, which is held by Ken Edwards of Derbyshire, England, who devoured 36 Madagascar hissing cockroaches in one minute in 2001.

However Six Flags spokesman James Taylor said the only complaints the company had received were from people who did not have the opportunity to sign up and eat a cockroach because

only 12 of its 30 parks in the United States, Canada, and Mexico were participating in the promotion.

Taylor dismissed any health concerns, saying the cockroaches were raised in a sterile environment and were as safe to eat as shrimp or lobster with high nutritional value.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are large, wingless cockroaches that can grow to between 1.5 to 3 inches.

Taylor said no one who had indulged in this rare delicacy had complained.

"It's something that's supposed to be scary, it's icky, it's gross, it's Halloween fun and it's just one small part of the haunted houses and thrilling rides going on."

EWWWWWWWWWWW, that's so gross, roaches are the nastiest crawling, disgusting bugs on the planet!!!

A man in Largo, FLA. is suing an Italian restaurant for not putting enough shrimp on his dinner entre!! Ralph Paul, skipped out on his bill after servers refused to give him more shrimp!! He was arrested and decided to take it to court!! where he spent more thatn $500 on an attorney, The meal cost $40....

The Buzz- Ken White-LVRJ

HANOI (Reuters) - A death-row inmate held in solitary confinement in Vietnam for almost a year is pregnant and is seeking a pardon to give birth, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

The Lao Dong (Labour) newspaper quoted a police doctor as saying tests in September confirmed that convicted heroin trafficker Nguyen Thi Oanh, 39, was then 11 weeks pregnant.

The report said it was the first time that a death-row prisoner had become pregnant in Vietnam and that police were investigating how it had happened.

Oanh's husband was serving a jail sentence at another prison in another province, the newspaper said.

Oanh was due to face a firing squad this year after losing her appeal against the death sentence she received last year for possession of a billion dong ($63,000) worth of heroin.

Trafficking more than 600 grams of heroin in Vietnam is punishable by death or life imprisonment.

Police in Tampa, FL. arrested a man driving under the influence of alcohol whne he slammed straight into police headquarters, causing about $5,000 worth of damage to the building The driver Christopher Jones, wrapped his arms around the steering wheel and police had to drag and pull him out!! He faces driving under the influence and resisting arrest charges-- JERK :(

The Buzz- Ken White LVRJ

This happened about an hour away from my house! :eek:

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Prosecutors said a teenager will be charged with misdemeanor littering after the bra she allegedly hung on a car antenna flew off and led to a highway accident.

The girl, 17, of Bowling Green told investigators she took her bra off while her friend was driving on Interstate 75.

A vehicle following the car crashed and rolled several times after swerving to avoid the bra. The driver, James Campbell, 37, broke a vertebra in his neck, and his passenger, Jeff Long, 40, broke several ribs.

The girls told investigators that before the accident, Campbell and Long motioned for them to lift up their shirts. The men said that never happened.

:lol: An accident caused by a bra. How very weird.

Woman named McBride had 6 grooms.

LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia (AP).
Shawnta McBride is apparently more than living up to her name.
McBride, 31, has married five men without divorcing her first husband, according to warrants issued by Gwinnett County Police detectives. She is charged with five counts of bigamy and false swearing.
Police are searching for McBride, whose last known address was in Decatur.
McBride wed Robert K. Konaido in September 2004, according to court records. The arrest warrants say she has since married five other men at the county courthouse.
Police said her case is similar to those of two men arrested in the suburban Atlanta county in September. Police suspect the men married half a dozen or more women each to help them gain American citizenship.
Four of McBride's grooms were born in Ghana, one was from Morocco and one was a London native, said Lorraine Stafford, the Probate Court administrator.

This happened few weeks ago and was in headlines a few days ago. This is my own translation so I try my best

A man, who was declared to be dead started to breath all sudden. According to the police, man is still alive and in the hospital.

-This is very rare case, I don't remember this happening in Finland before. Sometimes you've heard this happening in other countries, says inspector Pauli Mäkelä from Tampere Police department.

From central market square, near Vanha kirkko (old church), found man was given CPR for half an hour but according to EKG (ECG) heart was stopped and CPR failed.
Paramedics quit the CPR after getting permissiont to end it from a doctor, who worked in University Hospital of Tampere.

Police who was on the scene, had already called hearse. When searching for the cause of death, police needs to check the body already on scene, so one policeman opened bodybag a little bit. All sudden man in the bad had started breathing.

Man was taken right away to University Hospital of Tampere by ambulance.

- - -

I heard about it I told mom "has happened in CSI"
:rolleyes:

It happend on CSI:Miami. :D (Right about the time where the power went out JUST before Alexx opened the drawer. :rolleyes:)

That's pretty incredible that it's actually happened though. :eek: Weird indeed.

EWWWWWWWW. creepy and right out of CSI, or "Freaky Friday" I'd have a heart attack :eek:

A boy in Shawnee County, Kan., is in the hospital after he tried to re-create a stunt from the latest 'Jackass" movie Joe White needed brain sugery after he decided to jump from a car that was going 35 mph. :eek: JERK-FACE

The Buzz-Ken White-LVRJ

About the "suppose to be dead". He was old pal of the police (a bum?) and had been out drinking whole night when he was found.

So who knows. Still creepy. I wonder how the policeman reacted.

CAMDEN NAMED AMERICA'S WORST CITY :(

Camden, N.J., doesn't have much to boast about!! which is why it may be the worst city in America!! At least it gets the top vote from dave Gilmartin, author of "The Absolutely Worst Places To Live In America" He says it was hard narrowing dwon the list, but feels Camden is the worst of the worst, in part because of it's high rate for violent crimes, it's 78 % unemployment rate and the willingness of city leaders to spend funds on a minor league baseball stadium rather than improving the life of it's residents!! Although Gilmartin cites Camden as the worst American city by far, he admits not everyone agrees. He did an unscientific bad city poll and found that Barstow, California, got the most votes!!! (from who?, not the residents of Barstow) :mad: it is a crappy city, driven through it many times, NOTHING there!!!!

The Buzz-Ken White LVRJ

kwhite@reviewjournal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back