American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I was listening to the news this morning and the anchorwoman mentioned that it was Country week. This is definitely going to be a big challenge for a lot of the top 11. :p

2. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

There has been a rumour that Top 8 week will be rap/hip hop week. That`d be a great week, in my opinion.

I hope Scott does great, and I hope Adam sings "Jolene", `cause that`s the closest we would get to hear a White Stripes song on Idol (and `cause that`s the only country song I know...).

I agree with all of you that AI needs to be less cheap and more current if they want to get a real Idol.

Too bad Tatiana Del Toro didn`t make it to the top 13.

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Rap & HipHop? It's a singing competition they shouldn't be judged on their rapping abilities. So I kinda hope that a bogus rumor. Tomorrow night is Country, although from a list I saw they didn't have that much of a selection.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Totally agree with this.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'm with Simon on the 'country' songs I'm not a big fan of this genre, however they were all good a brief description of my thoughts, BTW Randy Travis was such a gentleman and so thrilled with them all, he's so nice~

Michael Way to country for my tastes, so many words, lordy, but he is good!

Alison Amazing voice and it's heard to believe she's only 16, she pulled it off!

Kris A Garth Brooks song a good rendition a ballad, nice job!

Lil' Rounds Come on Simon, insulting her by calling her Little:rolleyes: She sang a country song in a R & B version, "Indepndence Day" really strong voice she's so versatile!

Adam bizzare version of 'Ring Of Fire" Johnny Cash must have stirred in his grave, it was perplexing and off the wall. He changed it so drastically, it was really awful, still he's got a great voice! You can tell he doesn't like 'country':(

Scott He's good and sweet and really bonds with his piano!

Alexis A Dolly Parton song "Jolene" I thought she did a good job, but the judges panned her!

Danny Nice voice, "Jesus Take The Wheel" once again, I grimaced on this song!

Anoop This is probably my favorite Willie Nelson song 'Always On My Mind" and he did an incredible version of it, it gave me chills:eek:

Megan Another fav. song 'Walking After Midnight" I really like this girl, she's so unique, and so vibrant and she even had the flu, and still pulled it off, she's got extreme stage presence!

Matt Good voice and so smooth!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  6. GregNickRyanFan

Michael has a good, decent voice, but he's kind of... I don't know... he's not really got anything unique about him I don't think. He doesn't stand out like the rest of them do.

Alison was definitely the strongest female performance last night. I thought Alexis did a decent job, so I disagree with the judges on her performance. Lil did the chorus okay, but the rest of it wasn't her best performance. Kris did a great job with "To make you feel my love", but I thought that song was originally done by Bob Dylan? Oh, Adam... man that was kind of weird, but I'm like Kara... it was weird but I kind of liked it. :lol: when I heard Scott was gonna do a martina mcbride song, I was like huh? But, he actually did pretty good with it. :) Danny did a good job with the chorus of "Jesus Takes The Wheel". What was with everyone choosing Carrie Underwood songs though? I'm sorry, but just am not a Carrie Underwood fan at all. :lol: If Danny had recorded that song instead of her, I'd like the song. :lol: Same with the song Matt sang, though I'd never heard Carrie's version of it. Matt did a good job. Anoop is back! woo-hoo! I knew if he did a slow song he'd do so much better. Fast songs are just not his forte. :lol: Megan... eh... her style of singing is really not my cup of tea. The dress she was wearing was absolutely gorgeous though. She'll probably get a pass since she was sick with the flu, but... My guess is Michael will be the one to be kicked off. Anyone else besides Michael or Megan and I think the judges will use their veto and bring them back (at least I hope so). :lol:

Loved Randy Travis' reaction to Adam. That was funny... he just didn't know what to make of him... or of the way Megan chose to sing the Pasty Cline song. :lol: His expressions were cracking me up.

Simon calling Lil "little" was funny. I don't think he was insulting her, I think Simon's just clueless sometimes. :lol: He said "Lil" was short for little, but its also short for many other things: Lillian, Lilly/Lily, etc...

Is it just me or did Megan kind of look like Reese Witherspoon last night?

ETA: Ugh... I'm so disgusted now. The judges made the wrong decision not using their save. The person who was voted off did NOT deserve to be voted off. I know now the ones I'd approve of winning will not be the one who wins. It'll be someone who shouldn't win (most likely)... Ugh.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. Della

Della Police Officer

Michael: I don’t know why he’s still there. I’m afraid I’m fully with Simon on Michael’s performance, I too couldn’t understand much of what he sang, but then this is not my favourite type of Country anyway. I imagined a guy sitting backstage blowing into a whiskey jar and some line dancers dancing to this. Not good at all.

Allison: I preferred her singing in front of Randy. It was not as strained as it was on the night and she was having fun then, but on the night, I dunno it was good but I guess I expected more.

Kris: It was okay, the best he’s been, but I’m still not enamoured with him. He did some nice additions to the end of a couple of lines that I wish he’d use more but, in all honesty, there’s nothing too special about him. However, he’s definitely better than Michael.

Lil: Didn’t like the song at all and she was out of tune for a bit, which was surprising. No doubt she can sing but, for me, the last couple of weeks have been pretty poor from her to the extent that I’ve begun to wonder if she’s peaked already and is just sailing along on her earlier performances.

Adam: Once I’d got over laughing about the title – a friend of mine who was a lead singer for a local group had had a hot curry one night and was a bit ill for a couple days after. When I called and asked how he was he started singing this song and then ended with an exclaimed “Lordy! Lordy! My bottom’s on fire” (Funny what memories some songs can conjure up – chuckle)

Aaaanyway, I thought it was okay at the beginning but yeah, um, I’m afraid I have to agree with Simon in that it was a bit indulgent on his part and on the whole it wasn’t that good at all.

As a side note, I’d say Paula probably hasn’t heard anything done by Led Zeppelin, it was just a name she blabbed without thinking because, in all honesty, if you’re going to compare then I’d say “Guns 'N' Roses does Country” – chuckle.

Scott: Again he was okay but I’m still not at all enamoured with him. Sorry.

Alexis: Sorry, but give me Dolly Parton singing “Jolene” any time, any day. I’m really sorry but I think it was a really bad song choice for her because as far as I’m concerned Dolly Parton owns this song and no matter how well Alexis might have sang the song, for me, she still wouldn’t have touched Dolly’s version. Putting a kind of folk slant on it really didn’t help either. (Don’t know what part Randy thought she put a Blues slant on)

Danny Gokey: To be absolutely honest, I’m rarely moved by a song/singer but Danny singing “Jesus Take The Wheel” surprisingly made me cry. I do think my knowing his history may be why it affected me as it did because I couldn’t help thinking that after losing his wife then maybe he did say, “Jesus take the wheel, take it from my hands, ‘cause I can't do this on my own. I'm letting go. Give me one more chance. Save me from this road I'm on... Jesus take the wheel” so much so that I thought he sang that part of the song as if he meant every single word of it – and that’s what made me shed a couple of tears. Fantastic stuff!

I’m really sorry but I’ve just got to say that Kara was a stupid eejit! because as Simon said you just can’t come out and belt the beginning of the song. “Jesus take the wheel" is telling a story and it builds up to the crescendo of the woman giving in to her despair and giving her life to Jesus so that he might help, not belting out her pleas right from the start. Golly I’ve never been as annoyed with a judge (not even with some of the stuff Simon says) as I was with Kara when she stupidly said that the beginning wasn’t spectacular.

Anoop: Finally something worth shouting loud and hard about. He did really, really well with this song. I’m not fond of either Elvis Presley’s or Willie Nelson’s versions but I loved Anoop’s. Great job!

Megan: There is something about her voice that I really dislike and I think it’s the vibrato. It’s not a good vibrato because it constantly takes her out of tune so I find myself wincing most of the time when she sings and I’m afraid her long notes, when she drops the vibrato, are completely out of tune. Not good at alllllllllllll I’m afraid.

Still, she did look absolutely stunning tonight. Loved the dress, her hair and her make-up.

Matt: Aaaaaaaaand he’s back again – chuckle. Last week was pretty dismal for me, but this week, woohoo! That’s what I like to hear from Matt. Great stuff!!

As for those who went home:

Oh for crying out LOOOOOUUUUUUUUDDDDD!!!!!! There has got be something dodgy going on. I can’t believe that Michael survives over Alexis!! That Megan survives over Alexis??!! What the fr*gg*ng h*ll is going on!!!

*gnashes teeth*

*sigh*

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I totally agree, Alexis has one bad night and there two people who haven't done muct better than week 1 are still there. I wonder if they kept Megan because she was sick and they felt bad for her...if it were up to me I'd have her back in her room keeping others from getting sick....don't need an Idol flu epideomic going on.

9. Desertwind

I was a bit surprised that they nuked Alexis but between her and Michael, I did pick him, and dear gawd, why did she sing 'JOLENE' again:scream: she did miserably on it the first time, get a clue girl, and sing something different. I guess they thought she was a bit sarcastic and snippy and that won't get it for the mega fans out there. I love Megan & Li' Rounds they are so sweet and have the stage presence that Alexis didn't have:( I still think that Adam will get it in the last call, but time will tell:confused:thank goodness COUNTRY week is over:rolleyes:

10. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

Random comment but, is it only me or did Ryan introduce Adam on Country night as "Adam Glambert"?

11. GregNickRyanFan

I don't know either. He's just too ordinary for this competition if you ask me. This week was too kareoke. I just wasn't feeling it and it didn't feel like he felt the song either. When he sang the part about "take me back" or whatever. I said "I'd leave". :lol:

I agree, she's got a decent voice, but the last couple of weeks have not been her best performances. This week was only slightly better than last week. This week sounded a bit kareoke to me. Sorry, but that's the way I felt.

Adam: OMG! Tonight he was absolutely stellar! Just blew me away. I knew he could rock the house, but I didn't know he could be so tender. Awesome awesome job!

Scott was decent tonight, but I agree that he needs to do something to stand out a little more.

Danny: I thought he did very well tonight. I can't believe Simon said he thought it was clumsy and amatuerish. I agree with Paula, Simon is nuts. And what was up with Simon drawing a mustache on Paula? :lol:

Anoop: Beautiful job!

Totally agree with you on this one, Della. I can't stand her voice. It sounds like what I refer to as "smokers voice". I always wince when she sings. She ruined Pasty Cline's song last week as far as I'm concerned and she didn't do well this week either. At least the judges agree with me this week. Randy called her performace tonight a train wreck and Simon said she may be in trouble. If she's the one voted off, they better not use their save on her! I will be peeved if they use their save on her and didn't on Alexis. Alexis was worlds better than Megan. I agree Megan's dress, hair and makeup looked good last week though. She looked like Reese Witherspoon. But the singing was not good, I'm sorry to say.

Matt: He's pretty good, but was better last week than this week, but still a decent singer.

Kris did pretty good tonight. He's got a sweet voice.

Allison was awesome tonight!

I had the same reaction. :lol: I can't believe she got sent home. And Allison was in the bottom three last week? :wtf: She is awesome and doesn't deserve to be in the bottom three. Yeesh! Who was the other one? I didn't watch the results show last week. :lol: I can't believe Alexis was voted off. That was undeserved. It should have been Megan (who probably only got sympathy votes cause she had the flu) or Michael (who while he has a decent voice just doesn't sound much different from anyone else).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  12. Desertwind

I missed the first hour, so I didn't see all of them completely, but did see the recap, but of the ones I did see all the way thorough, no contest for me ADAM sensational,:eek: he's in a league of his own and can sing anything, even Smokey [who was so cordial and courteous] said he's never heard his song sang that way, and a whole different look, we thought it was a cross between Elvis and Kurt Russell. and ALLISON I can't believe she's 16, lord have mercy, she's also exceptional. And I like Megan, she's quirky and sings to a different tune, and has stage presence and is pretty, & many fans love her... but I think as I said from the onset it's going to be Adam:bolian:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  13. GregNickRyanFan

I like Megan's personality and you're right she does have stage presence. I don't know maybe my ears are just sensitive, but that raspyness to her voice just really isn't my cup of tea I guess. :lol:

I'm starting to think though that it's gonna be a guy's year for the second time in a row (which has never been done before). Let's face it, the guys are just much stronger this season than the girls. IMO the only girl that has a chance is Allison.

14. Desertwind

15. Della

Della Police Officer

When I heard it was going to be Motown Week I think I squeaked with surprise and excitement, but there was some performances that killed that squeak in an instant. :(

Matt: Hmm, I dunno, it sounded more like an impression of the song to me rather than him stamping his own nick onto it. *shrug* I liked it but it’s such an incredible song that it’s hard for me to get away from Marvin Gaye’s version because that had pure, unadulterated sex appeal, but Matt’s rendition lacked all the main ingredients for me. Sorry.

Kris:
    I’m sorry but I didn’t like this at all. There was absolutely no “oooomph!” to his performance whatsoever and the vibrato he added to his voice was horrible. Yuck! Sorry...

Scott: Eeeeeep! Um I thought it was not good at all. Sorry. There was no strength to his singing and the beginning was really, really weak. Not good.

Megan: Ow! Ow! Ow! My ears are bleeding and my heart is breaking because she completely wrecked the song. Was she drunk? Sheesh! The absolute worst of the evening. It was horrible. If she doesn’t go this week then something is seriously wrong with the voting!!!!!!!

Anoop: Not bad but not that good either. I dunno, there was just something vital missing for me. I didn’t get anything from it I’m afraid. It felt like he was going through the motions and making sure he hit the notes, but didn’t manage to do that on occasion. Shame. Great song performed okayish. *shrug*

Michael: Compared to Megan he sounded really good but comparing him with others like Danny, Adam, Allison and Matt it’s a whole different world and he was really lacking. Still, having said that, for me, he did a lot better than Kris, Megan (of course) and Scott. *shrug*

Lil: Despite her bad couple of weeks I was still looking forward to her performance, but golly I was so let down by it because most of all, as Randy said, I think it was such a rotten choice of song for her. Mind you, I may have been tainted by her yucky speech on the vid. Those kinds of speeches really turn me off someone. Who does she think she is “I’m doing this for Aretha and Martha and so on?” Ugh! Pahleeeeeeease!

Adam: I was so nervous because I had no idea what he was going to do with the song. Oh boy, I love this song, I was always singing it when I was a kid, so yeah I was really, really nervous. But golly, golly, golly, he was great. He blew me away. Woo Hoo!

As a side note: Did anyone else think he looked like Kurt Russell when Kurt played Elvis Presley in a movie? No? Oh, okay :D

Danny: When I first heard he was going to do "Get Ready" I was like “Oh nooooooo nononononono!” and even though he did a really good rendition, it was in tune and gravely and what not, I’m afraid didn’t like it :Shock: :Horror:

Allison: I keep forgetting she’s 16, especially when she sings a song like “Papa was a Rolling stone” the way she sang it. She was the best of the night for me. I was worried she wasn't going to have a big enough voice for it, but boy, she did. Fantastic!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.