American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

WOW, two hours of this last night, so here's my anaylsis of the candidates!

JORGE phenomenal, he was so pure and so humble and so great. I never thought anyone could sing "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John but he pulled it off, I actually shed a tear he was so sweet, and I think he has a great shot at winning:bolian:

Von really good "You All I Need" ~

Alex sucked~

Arianna way off key, a gloomy perforamce~

Ju'not not my cup of tea boring~

Kristen Not that impressive and don't sing a Tracy Chapman song!

Nathaniel Too off the wall and too far out as Simon said, he think's he's good, but I didn't~

Felicia Good, and awesome stage presence~

Scott good~

Lil the 2nd best wonderful voice, and she is a natural singer~

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Every time I see the name JORGE, I keep reading it as GEORGE. :lol: I have to remind myself that it's not pronounced like that. :lol: Yeah, he did pretty well, I agree.

I missed Von's performance, but what I saw in the recap, he did pretty good. And is it just me or does he kind of look like one of the Brady boys? I think Bobby ... maybe Peter, but I think it's Bobby that I'm thinking of. :lol: I always got those two confused anyway. :lol:

Saw Arianna in the recap and she was horribly off key and very pitchy as Randy says.

I agree with you about Ju'not. I felt like I was listening to a lullaby, though he's got a pleasant voice.

Kristen wasn't that great. :lol:

Kendall - The other blonde that sang "This One's For The Girls" was okay, but she didn't hit those high notes properly. I wish she'd chosen a different Martina song cause I hate that particular song. :lol:

Nathaniel nearly made my ears bleed. I'm sure he won't get through though. :lol:

Felicia was pretty good, but what was all that talk about her getting a call back and invited back? Was she a contestant in a different season too? :confused:

Scott was good. I love his voice.

Lil sounded good, but I don't like the song and I don't like that style of music. I wish she'd sang something else. :lol: But, she's another one that is from where I grew up. :)

Alex. He sounded good in his first audition, but I wasn't crazy about his performance last night.

Who was the twelveth one? I can't remember. :lol:

3. Desertwind

I don't know:eek: actually I started writing them down into like #3, so I wouldn't forget them, here's a cool poll, just click and drag to put your fav. on the #1-2-3 top choices:bolian:

http://television.aol.com/american-idol/poll

4. GregNickRyanFan

The other one is a girl named Taylor. She didn't make it though.

I think the three out of the 8 up for the wildcard spots will probably be hopefully definitely Anoop cause he's awesome. And maybe Von and Jasmine. Most of the others are kind of forgettable as Simon says. :lol: I didn't even remember that Megan girl. :lol:

I knew Lil, Scott and Jorge would make it tonight though. :) First group I only predicted Alexis and Danny. Second group, I knew Alison and Adam would get in. The third choices on week 1 and 2 I would have never guessed on. :lol:

5. GregNickRyanFan

Haha, I knew they were gonna do a top 13 instead of 12. I knew they'd let Jasmine and Anoop in. I thought they'd let Von in until I heard him sing tonight. Then I thought, nope he's not gonna get the spot. But, I knew Matt would after hearing him sing. Didn't expect Megan to get in, but she was pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  6. Della

Della Police Officer

At first I was going to post a post with an elongated NOOOOOOOOO!!!! And nothing else when I heard that Tatiana got through, especially when it meant Taylor and Felicia (?) weren't going to be there, and I am still peeved at them for doing that but then she never got any further so I feel slightly better than I did.

Still, here is what I thought of the wild cards:

Jesse: I love the song but she started so out of tune that I think it would have been a miracle if she’d managed to get it back in tune, She managed it for a couple of notes here and there but mostly it was really out of tune. It also sounded out of tempo as well, not only her but also the backing as well. All in all a bad beginning and a big disappointment because I was looking forward to her delivering the goods. :(

Matt: Brilliant. Vocally I think he showed great shades of Sam Cook. Loved, loved, loved it and he was also a great big wonderful surprise as well, because apart from Georgia he’s been pretty mundane for me. Great stuff!!

Megan: I love, love, love this song but her rendition was pretty weak and because of that it made her sound out of tune. Maybe she was. She had quivers to her voice that took her all over the place but not to the right one for me.

Von: Even though he can sing, I wasn’t looking forward to his performance and I have to say I now know why. He sounded like Michael Jackson at his worst at the beginning. Great song, really hard to sing and I’m afraid he performed it really badly, well, apart form the last note. Bad song choice for him because he can sing. Simon was full of irony because he told Von during Hollywood Week that he performed it like a five year old and now he was saying it was too serious and all that jazz. Confusing Simon.

Jasmine: I liked Jasmine and was pleased she was given another chance. Can’t stand the song to be honest and, taking a line from Randy, she was a bit pitchy but it was good, much better than Jesse anyway.

Ricky At first I thought ‘Who?’ cos he really got under my radar, but boy he really pulled something out the bag because it was brilliant. A really, really hard song to sing and he blew it away. Loved it. To be honest, I prefer his version to Stevie Wonder’s – chuckle. I swear, at times I honestly think the judges are listening to something completely different and judging by Randy and Simon’s comment this was one of the times.

Tatiana: *unclenches teeth* Started off really well. I was in shock and she can hit some pretty good notes when she isn’t playing up to the camera and is actually concentrating on the song, but her attitude, her histrionics, her delivery and I’m afraid Tatiana herself is just a great big, fat, humungous turn-off for me.

Anoop: Oh deary me, that was bad. Not his type of song whatsoever I’m afraid. It’s a really hard song to sing, I’ll give him that, but he did a really bad job of it in my opinion. Sorry. And I really wasn’t impressed with his attitude either. Methinks it’s all going tog o right to his head.

As for those who got through. I have to say, and it does sort of pain me to say this, but I thought Tatiana was better than Megan on the night *shock* *horror* I can’t believe I said that but, well, it’s true as far as I’m concerned. However, I am pleased Megan got through because I’m not sure I could have stood seeing Tatiana anymore than I have already been forced to. Pleased Jasmine got through too, but hugely disappointed Ricky didn’t make it. I am wholly pleased Matt got through and, in all honesty, on the night, I think Ricky should have been given the thirteenth place rather than Anoop because as said, his song choice was pretty rough, he performed it rather badly and I really wasn’t keen on Anoop’s attitude either.

:)

7. Desertwind

WOW, Della that's a very extensive list:eek: All of them have special qualities and are good singers but if narrowing it down, I have to pick~

Jorge He's special due to the fact that he's really geniune, and sings beautifully and is so sweet and humble~

Megan She's unique and quirly as Paula stated, and is beautiful and has a stong stage presence, and a killer singing voice~that Tatiana is to me obnoxious and way to dramatic and sang the same song 3 times~ she's done!

8. Desertwind

Last nights was the cream of the crop, for sure. I'm just commenting on the ones that stood out for me~

Lil' Rounds Powerful, a natural great singer and great state presence~

Michael Good voice, singing "You Are Not Alone" [it's tough to sing a Michael Jackson song] but he loves singing and is so likeable~

Allison WHOA, only 16, a kicked a** that red hair was unique , she's good~

Jorge Great voice, wrong song, but he has such passion and is so happy~

Megan I liked her choice of "Rockin' Robin' she did a good job has her own style, a unique voice and is beautiful~

Alexis Good voice but I don't think she can win over the next one, and the pink stripes in her hair, cute~

ADAM, FANTASTIC:eek: LORD HAVE MERCY, WHAT IS HE DOING AS A CONTESTANT IN THIS FINALE? HE IS SO FAR ABOVE THE REST AND I PREDICT HE WILL BE THE WINNER singing "Black & White" really good version... also he's handsome, beautiful eyes and those straight white teeth, he puts me a bit in mind of Axel Rose, [voice wise] from the old rock band 'Guns & Roses" he's really good!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  9. GregNickRyanFan

Adam is awesome, but I don't know about him winning. They seem to go boy-girl-boy-girl, etc and a boy won last year, so if a boy whens this year as well, it'll be the first time ever I think that two of the same gender have won in a row. :lol: I don't know about Megan though. She was cute, but I dunno. I personally wasn't that crazy aobut Michael either last night. :lol: But the judges all seemed to like him. He was good, but didn't blow me over. I wish Alexis had chosen a song I knew. :lol: I wish Anoop had sang something slow, it suits his voice much better than faster songs. I could have slapped Simon when he Jorge has "I wasn't gonna sing 'Bad' by Michael Jackson" and simon said "well you kind of did." Bad Simon! :lol: I wish Lil had chosen a different song. She did it well, but it was an odd choice for me. I dunno... Danny and Alexis and Alison and Lil and Adam, those are probably going to be the top five right there. :) Maybe Scott will round out the Top 6, I dunno. Possibly Matt, he's pretty good too.

My mother didn't like Megan at all last night. :lol:

By the way, what the heck was Paula wearing last night? That was weird looking. It looked like she had feathers growing out of her shoulder or something. I'm surprised Simon didn't comment on that. :lol:

Pet peeve: I wish they would stop using the words "ridiculous" and "sic" to mean good or cool. That drives me batty. It's no wonder people from other countries have so much trouble learning English when we have so many different meanings for one word because some of those meanings are slang meanings. I hate it. I swear kara says "ridiculous" about as much as Randy says "dog". :lol: It's annoying to me.

10. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I agree that those could be some part of the top 5. Danny and Adam especially.

Adam has done a ton of musical theatre...there are some awesome videos on youtube that have him as Fieryo from Wicked. :)

And I totally have to go for Danny, have to love the hometown guy! :D

11. Della

Della Police Officer

I feel embarrassed that I do leave such loooong posts concerning Idol, especially since I’m not particularly enamoured with how they treat the contestants running up to these live shows. Still, I do like to say why I wasn’t keen on something or why I loved it. :)

Lil Rounds: I wasn’t fond of her performance at all I’m afraid. I think she was trying to give it some attitude and it just didn’t work for me, but there is no doubt she has a really good singing voice.

Scott: Sorry but I’m not fond of his singing, however I think he did a really good job with “Keep the Faith”.

Danny Gokey: My first thought was ‘WTF?’ and I also thought ‘Oh no, please where has the gravel/blues/soul/rockers voice gone to?’ Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully by the time I’d thought these it was back and in full force. Loved, loved loved it! Still, having said that, I do agree with Simon in that his dancing was not good at all. LOL!

Michael: I am still bemused as to how he has managed to get this far because to be brutally honest there’s nothing special about his voice whatsoever and even though he sang in tune and all that, I just didn’t feel anything, so I’m pretty much apathetic about him, but that might change if he goes through and someone who I feel is far better than him goes. :)

Jasmine: I’ve never heard Mariah Carey’s version so I can’t and really never compare one singer with another. But all in all I really enjoyed this. Hit most of the notes, badly hit some others, but gave the song something else, so I really liked it. As a side note sometimes I think Simon spends waaay too much time with Paula because some of his comments are a bit out there and I thought his comments about Jasmine were just that to me.

Chris Allen: Eeeep! Um, this performance made me feel as if he is completely out of his depth. Um, it felt like it was something he might do in front of a mirror in at home, in that, it seemed very amateurish to me. Sorry.

Allison: I really like Allison and this was really good, but she did seem to run out of breath a little at the end as if she was saving herself for the last note. Having said that though I still loved it :D

Anoop: I really, really, really didn’t like this. I think I’ve figured Anoop out though, in that I really think he’s trying to be something he’s not and I think he should go back to being who he really is because he’s a better singer than what he did on the night.

Jorge: I really like Jorge and his family, and I really like his voice, but, I’m afraid this was a really bad song choice. Shame!

Megan: I’m not a fan of Megan’s voice I’m afraid and her singing during this song just about hi-lighted why. Um, it sounded monotone to me, one note all the way through barring a ‘rockin’ robin’ and the last note, the rest of it never really went anywhere at all. There was no up and down.

Adam: I’m sorry about this, and it’s probably against popular opinion, but I just can’t stand his screeching, especially when he kind of screeches through his nose and there was a lot fo thast during his performance. Having said that though, I think he’s better than Axel Rose – chuckle – but that doesn’t mean I like Axel Rose or Adam. He really is a good looking bloke, but I dunno he doesn’t do a lot for me (might be my age) and if he is the ‘now’ the ‘what’s happening now’ in the music scene, then, for me, thank God I’m stuck in the late sixties-early seventies music wise – chuckle

Matt: Nonononononono! Bad, bad, bad song choice and really poorly performed in my opinion. In the space of one week all the Soul he brought to last week’s song was gone and I sorely missed it!! This was incredibly wishy-washy with nothing happening at all. Shame! Shame! Shame!

Alexis: Oh dear a bad song choice again. Her voice is just not strong enough for such a song. I also had a feeling she was trying to be something she’s not. Didn’t like it at all I’m afraid.

As for those who got sent home:

Before that thought, I LMAO when Danny danced. I just couldn’t help myself. Anyhoo...

Oh for crying out loud!!!! Who the hell is voting for Michael? This is getting beyond a joke now!!! I can’t believe Jasmine has gone. What are these people looking for? They kept Chris, Megan and Michael over her? Tis utter rubbish !!

And Anoop staying over Jorge? Blah!!! Rubbish! Rubbish! Ruibbish!

I mean I don’t think either Jasmine or Jorge would have won Idol but going on the night’s performance I thought they deserved to still be there over Michael, Anoop and Megan.

Bad start to the voting.

:(

12. GregNickRyanFan

I agree with you about Michael; his voice is very average sounding to me.

Scott usually sounds good. In Hollywood week his voice reminded me a lot of Josh Groban's. I thought he did okay, but I wish he'd chosen Man In the Mirror instead. Although keep the faith does suit him theme wise because of his obstacles.

I like Anoop, I really do, but I wish he'd sang a slower song. He's better at them and his voice really shines when he sings slower ones.

I thought Adam was pretty good. But then again, being a Skid Row fan, I tend to like a little bit of the screaming/yelling like he did. I almost felt like I was listening to that type of music again. :D

I don't think Jorge and Jasmine should have been sent home though. I think it should have been Megan and Michael personally. My mother thought it should be Megan too. I told her Megan wouldn't get voted off cause of her looks. :lol:

My mom said maybe all the 27 plus guys who work with Michael are the ones voting for him. :lol:

I didn't watch the results show, but my told me who was voted off. :lol:

Did they announce the theme for next week?

13. Della

Della Police Officer

In all honesty, GregNickRyanFan, despite what I think about Adam’s vocals and his theatrics during his performances, when it comes to the technical side of things, Adam and Danny Gokey are by far, far, far, far and away, into another Universe, infinitely the best of the bunch.

In my opinion, they lead their songs, and strongly too. It’s like they challenge the backing track to keep up with them. But with the others it’s almost like you can see them counting the beats in their heads. Like, 1, 2, 3, 4 Laaa lala la la... 1, 2, 3, 4 Lala laaa la... 1, 2, 3, 4... and so on. It’s as if they rely on the backing track to let them know where they are in the song. Allison isn’t so bad as the others though.

All in all I think that if they were to hold an Acapella (sp?) week, then Danny and Adam would be tied first, Allison would be third and, as harsh as this is, I think the rest of them would still be standing at the beginning of the song waiting for the backing track to kick in. (Well, apart from Matt)

However when it comes to vocals I would like to listen to then Danny wins hands down for me, followed closely by Allison, then Alexis and then Matt (when he lets the Soul lead). For me, Adam’s voice has a kind of Rock/Opera feel to it and I’m afraid I’m just not a fan of anything that has ‘Opera’ attached to it, except, perhaps, ‘Phantom of the Opera’ :)

I have to say, GregNickRyanFan, that I couldn’t name one favourite band. I’m pretty much eclectic when it comes to what I like to listen to, from the Classics such as Bach (when I’m feeling okay) and Mozart (for when I’m feeling a bit down) to the Rock Groups such as Led Zeppelin, ACDC (early stuff, the later stuff is rank as far as I’m concerned) and so on. To the Pop/Rock/Glamour such as Marc Bolan/T-Rex. To the Blues/Soul and true R&B (not the crap that’s around today parading as R&B) such as Otis Redding, Tina Turner, Sam Cooke and so on.

But I also do like a bit of pop too such as Elton John (his first album is the best of them all), The Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, and so on.

Oh and I don't think they did announce what the theme was for next week.

:)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  14. GregNickRyanFan

Well, I don't know about them counting the beats in their heads, I don't really notice things like that most of the time. :lol: But, sometimes some of them do seem kareoke like and I know when I'm singing kareoke, if I'm doing it without one of those screens that lights up the words, I sometimes count the beats in my head to know where I'm supposed to start singing the next line, so you're probably correct about that. :lol:

As for what I listen to, I listen to pretty much a little of everything... from Lordi to Alabama. :lol: I'm not much of a rap fan though. I like old school rap (some of it), LL Cool J, people like that, but that's about the extent of it. I do enjoy some classical too. Moonlight Sonata is my favorite. :D

I'm not big on opera either for the most part, but I do like Phantom Of the Opera. As for favorite bands, I usually say mine is Bon Jovi. :)

Hopefully the next theme will be better. I mean honestly, who can really touch Michael Jackson's songs and do them justice? Isn't easy. :lol: I don't think they should have a theme that's only one artists' songs. I think they should all be more broad like "songs from the 60s" or "show tunes". :lol: I'm interested to see what Adam'll do when it's country week. :lol: I could see him singing "beer for my horses". :lol:

15. Desertwind

I totally agree with you GregNickRyanFan on singing Michael Jackson, who can do them justice, plus he's so not there mentally, and it kinda of creeps me out, and those songs are so old, so hopfully they'll choose someones music more neutral, that will suit them all better:confused: I still think that Adam will take it, he's the kind that will suit most of the fans watching, in my opinion, we'll all soon find out~

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.