American Idol- Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by GregNickRyanFan, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Here's a mini-interview with Steven Tyler TV Guide~

TALK THIS WAY

With his big heart, rock-star flamboyance and utter unpredictability, new judge Steven Tyler may well be the new Paula Abdul. we asked the 62-yr. old, who's settling down after 4 decades on the road, whey he decided to judge American Idol~

Q Why did you sign up for this gig?
    A I was working on my book ["Does The Noise In My Head Bother You"] set for release in 2011. The pressure got to me so much that I needed to go away to camp for a while [He spent 3 months in 2010 at the Betty Ford Center] for addiction to painkillers]. I told my manager, "I need to do something other than Areosmith. I need, like my father used to say, something to fall back on". I threw it out there that I would be willing to do Idol.
    Q But you'd never watched the show?
    A I'd seen a couple of episodes, and it angered me that [the contestants] were not doing it my way, ya' know? The way of [getting experience] in clubs. But then I realized that in today's world, if someone's good..if Joe Perry was good..where would we go?, and it's the TV internet.
    Q do you have trouble sitting still at the judge's table?
    A I gotta get up every 20 minutes to go pee. It's gotten me in trouble, the fact that I can't sit still. The exhilaration, the amount of adrenaline released when you're singing in front of 100,000 people. Remember, I just came off tour with Areosmith, so it's like I live on the tail of a comet. It's heard, being addicted to adrenaline. There's no rehab to go to for that.
    Q What made you think you would be a good judge?
    A I've been judged for 40 years, I mean, in school I was called a "Girlie Man". Today, they talk about bullying and abuse. But I held my own. Because I loved Janis Joplin. I loved The Stones, I loved The Kinks. And I represented what I know is good~

Deborah Starr Seibel, TV Guide writer~

2. luf100

luf100 Coroner

The only reason I'm watching this season of American Idol is pretty much Steven Tyler. I wasn't planning on watching it but he's hilarious, he makes it worth my time. Even when it's two freaking hours, wtf? Biggest dislike about the show there. At least it was only an hour yesterday and tonight. I never really knew what he was like before this and I was kind of thinking he'd be a mean judge but he's actually so nice. :lol: I love it. I really like Jennifer Lopez too, I'm not missing Paula (never really did miss her though) or Simon. I was one of those people thinking AI would go down the toilet without him. xD

I might just end up watching this whole season! I used to love American Idol, hopefully it can gain me back. ;)

3. Desertwind

I missed Thursday's show, anything I should know about? Did they pick some good contestants? Steven is great:bolian:

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

There were some good ones and some really, really bad ones. I'm having a hard time remembering what was Wednesday's show and what was Thursday's LOL. Did you see these contestants:

1) The 17 year old girl who claimed that Ryan is the sexiest man alive?

2) The girl dressed in the armadillo costume?

3) The girl dressed like an angel (but with midriff showing)?

I think you can see parts of the episode somewhere on you tube though, but I'm not sure.

5. Desertwind

Yeah I did, thank's;) I missed Thursday's I forgot it was on, no biggie I'll catch up with this week's~

6. sasha007

sasha007 Victim

One of mine favorite show

7. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I think the girl who dressed as an angel was actually dressed up like a Digimon (you know that old show that competed with Pokemon...) There's a Digimon called Angewomon (I think) lmao. It looked like her. But you know, that just makes it even weirder. o_O

[​IMG]

Anyywaaays I can't wait for tomorrow's show. I'm actually looking forward to it, keep this up AI. I think they start Hollywood week on Wednesday, right?

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That does look like her costume lol. I wouldn't have known that though since I don't watch Digimon.

9. Desertwind

10. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

One thing I noticed with this season (as compared with last season, never watched before), there seems to be a lot more blues type vocalists being pushed through. Same thing with country-esque artists. Nice to see the blues-rock vocals getting some attention, it's a style that doesn't tend to get as much focus (compared to pop, rock, rap, country, etc... on their own), so artists who have a natural blues voice aren't picked up as often as others.

11. aaliya

aaliya Victim

I agree with you completely... Even I have Watched this American Idol by live streaming this is truly great... I have too noticed this thing... But At the end we all have to admit that We all love American Idol.... This series is the best..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  12. Desertwind

A couple of riveting nights. On Wed. the group singing some great some not so hot, some terrible. I liked the group that sang the old Queen song "We Are The Champions" so in-sync and the harmony was great. On Thurs. the elimation of 4 different rooms. So much knashing of the teeth and so much crying. It means so much to them. So now it will be down to the one on one. Steven Tyler is great, he loves music and closed his eyes sometimes while really listening. J-LO, is nice, and Randy always wonderful~

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  13. luf100

luf100 Coroner

If you mean the younger group (minors with moms there :lol:) that did We Are the Champions, you're right they were AWESOME. There was a group before them that really sucked. :/

I think I'm happy with the people who got through. Most of the people I really liked did get through. Can't wait for next week. :D

14. Desertwind

RATING THE REPLACEMENTS

American Idol

With the show going in to it's 10th season, without Simon Cowell, industry insiders thought Idol could crash and burn. Well, it hasn't happened. Through February 16, the show has averaged 25.2 million total viewers, down on 9%. "We feel it's a victory", says FOX executive VP Preston Beckman, who credits the performance of new judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez. "we succeeded in reinventing the panel", he adds. 'Steven has been phenomenal. He's sincere and he's very supportive of the kids and J.Lo's warmth has come across" An increased focus on stronger singers instead of clownish rejects has also helped~

Steven Battaglio, TV Guide writer~

15. Desertwind

Did you all see Jennifer break down and cry? She was so upset on having to nuke the guy with the disabled wife. "I can't do this anymore", then she composed herself , and was OK last night. I only watched the 1st hour did [it coincided with CSI] anyone have any particular favs?