American Idol- Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by GregNickRyanFan, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Source: EW

Kara DioGuardi not returning to 'American Idol': It's (finally) official

In news that will shock no one — except maybe certain sects of monks who’ve taken vows to never watch unscripted television — Fox announced today that Kara DioGuardi will not return for American Idol‘s tenth season. The word arrived via email at 8:11 p.m. ET on the Friday before the Labor Day weekend, the media-cycle equivalent of attempting to chop down a tree in the forest when no one is there to hear it fall.

“I felt like I won the lottery when I joined American Idol two years ago, but I feel like now is the best time to leave Idol,” said DioGuardi, in a statement released by Fox. “I am very proud to have been associated with American Idol — it has truly been an amazing experience. I am grateful to FOX, FremantleMedia and 19 Entertainment, as well as the cast, crew and contestants, for all they have given to me. I look forward to my next challenge, and want to thank everyone who has supported me. All the best to everyone on Season 10!”

Over the last several weeks, speculation has swirled that DioGuardi, who joined the reality singing competition in its eighth season in the unpopular position of “fourth judge,” would not return to her chair when the ratings juggernaut comes back in January 2011. Returning executive producer Nigel Lythgoe had gone on the record saying he favored a return to a three-person judges’ panel, and as sources close to the show have repeatedly told Entertainment Weekly, Idol has been working to lock down returning judge Randy Jackson, plus newcomers Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, before season 10 callbacks begin in the middle of September. DioGuardi’s name was rarely mentioned as a contender for a rebooted Idol panel, the first without founding judge Simon Cowell, despite the fact that she showed considerable improvement in her on-air performance between the show’s eighth and ninth seasons. In fact, DioGuardi’s father said in an interview last month that his daughter had heard her job was at risk only via media reports .

Fox’s release contained statements from a number of execs close to the show. They read as follows:

“Kara was a great addition to our Idol family. I’ve been fortunate to get to know her well, and have always been amazed by her eye for talent and her commitment to developing and mentoring artists. She will be missed, and we wish her continued success.” –Mike Darnell, President of Alternative Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company

“Kara is one of the world’s best songwriters. She has been passionate and committed to Idol over the last two seasons. I will miss having her on the show, but I look forward to working with her in music for many years to come.” –Simon Fuller, American Idol creator and executive producer

“As one of the most proclaimed songwriters in the U.S., Kara brought a wealth of experience and a unique perspective to American Idol. We are very grateful for the time she spent on the show, and we wish her nothing but the best in all her future endeavors.” — Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Idol executive producer

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

It's almost certain that Jennifer Lopez will join the show as a judge. "Both J. Lo and Marc Anthony are very excited about her being a judge", a source tells People Magazine~

People.. Sept. 20, 2010!

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ugh. I thought it was certain she would not be joining. I wish they'd get their stories straight. Perhaps they're just gonna have guest judges until they can find the right fit. That's what they should do anyway. Try out lots of different people until the chemistry clicks.

4. Desertwind

I agree, why the H don't they make a formal annoucement.. it's it time:scream:JL all she does is laugh.. gets on my nerves:(

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

EW:

Jennifer Lopez's 'American Idol' deal valued at $12 million: Reports

Get ready to call her Jenny from the Fox (Broadcasting Company). Or maybe the $12 Million Woman. Jennifer Lopez will be joining the judges’ panel for the 10th season of the network’s ratings giant, American Idol, in a deal worth $12 million, according to an anonymous source who spoke to People.com. (The contract was first reported yesterday by Deadline.com.)

Lopez has been the subject of intense media scrutiny with regard to a coveted spot on a rebooted Idol panel. Her name first surfaced for the gig in late July, before a number of media outlets counted her out of the running due to alleged “diva” demands. As first reported by EW.com on Aug. 12, however, a source close to the show set the record straight that “no deals have fallen apart due to unreasonable demands” and that “This may simply be a case of one diva’s rep slinging mud to make another potential candidate look like a diva.” Soon after, Lopez’s name was back in the mix — along with Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and original panelist Randy Jackson — as a front-runner for one of the three most coveted chairs in the reality TV universe. The J.Lo.-Tyler-Jackson rumors got a further shot of adrenaline when Fox announced — the Friday night before Labor Day — that judge Kara DioGuardi would not be returning to the show for its 10th season.

Spokespersons from Fox, Fremantle, and 19 Entertainment declined comment for this story; a rep for Lopez did not return calls from EW. According to Deadline, Lopez had sought an overall deal with Fox that would have included guaranteed movie and TV pilot deals, but that portion of the contract did not come to fruition.

Source: Fancast

‘Idol’ Chatter: J.Lo Signed For Just One Year? And Why Ellen Quit!

It’s been far, far too long without any news on the ‘American Idol: The Search For A Judging Panel’ front, so here’s the latest and greatest buzz now making rounds.

First up, Jennifer Lopez. Though Fox is not expected to announce her (and Steven Tyler’s) hire until early October, there are reports that she is 99% signed on the dotted line, and will command “a little more than $12 million” for her year’s worth of service, says TMZ. Yes, you read right – J.Lo finagled a deal that only ties her to ‘Idol’ for one season. Though given the chilly reception afforded Ellen DeGeneres and to a somewhat lesser degree Kara DioGuardi, maybe that’s a prudent move by the reality show’s producers.

There’s also been some talk that all of the “diva-like demands” gossip that hovered around Lopez’s ‘Idol’ talks was in part fed by rival networks/direct competitors looking to sully the name of TV’s most watched program. That’s some dirty pool, people.

Turning to DeGeneres: She shed much light on her single-season ‘Idol’ run during a call-in to Ryan Seacrest’s radio show on Tuesday. Simply said – and as presumed early on – Ellen had a hard time criticizing these young crooners brandishing big dreams.

“[Being a part of 'Idol'] was fun… but it was a really hard thing for me to do,” DeGeneres said. “These kids are taking it so seriously…. They want to be praised, and I found it really difficult to watch them have their dreams shattered on national television.”

Ellen says Day 1 of her ‘Idol’ stint was particularly sobering, because that was when she first learned that Simon Cowell would be leaving at Season 9’s end. “I though he was there for a while, and we’d play around and have fun,” she shared with a perceptible sense of disillusionment in her voice.

6. Desertwind

$12 million, :wtf: I swear that's friggin' unbelievable, hell I would have done it for $1 million. I'm not looking forward to her at all. It was great with Ellen and that's sad she left, So we don't know who all 4 are yet, and thank's Destiny for the up-date.. $12 million, I'm muttering to my self right now:klingon:

7. Desertwind

I guess it's now official they showed the "judges" on "ET" tonight and there she was, J-LO, laughing as usual, with Ryan, Stephen Tyler and Randy. Hope this is a good season or I'm not gonna watch:(

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm kind of torn. I like Steven Tyler (though I would have rather had someone like Harry Connick Jr or Bret Michaels who is nice eye candy cause I ain't as young as I was when the show started out and now all the contestants are younger than I am lol ... oh well, I still have Ryan at least :D ), but I really didn't want J-Lo on there. I really think this could be the last season. I'm not sure Idol will work without the resident insulter like Simon was. I can't see J-Lo being that mean and I'm not sure Tyler will be either. And Randy tries to find the medium between mean and nice lol. I don't know if I'm gonna watch at all this season to be honest.

9. Desertwind

So when does this air? I don't see it in my TV Guide:confused:

10. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

They already travel around the world find people can or think can sing, but you won't see it on TV in Jan. Unless, they decided to do it early.

11. Desertwind

Thank's Batwoman cute name:bolian: and I like your icon;)They used to have it in competition with "DWTS"~

12. alenpaul

alenpaul Victim

reality shows basically depend on talent and i like reality shows.

13. Desertwind

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Wednesday and Thursdays, actually. For a few weeks it will be going up against CSI.

15. Desertwind

AMERICAN IDOL'S JUDGES~

With the loss of Ellen DeGeneres and Simon Cowell and the addition of Jennifer Lopez and Areosmith's Steven Tyler, the face of FOX's singing competition has irrevocably changed. "Idol" could now be classified as a dear old lady that's gone for Botox", says ex. producer Nigel Lythgoe of the show's season 10 makeover. "But there's alot of life left in this old lady". The futire of TV's reality juggernaut depends on it. With anticipation high, Lythgoe believes the new judges have what it takes to win over viewers when IDOL returns in January. "There's a great deal of warmth, humor and repect for the kids", he says. "Steven brings alot of fun. We might have to bleep a few things he says, but he's got the sweetest soul in the world. f he has to say no because they're just not good enough, it hurts him". If Tyler sounds like the new Paula, Lopez isn't exactly the new Simon. Lythgoe insists that "there is nothing mean", about the singer/actress and "that people are going t be highly impressed with her. She absolutely makes sense to me with everything she's said so far to the kids. The biggest revelation though, may be American Idol's lone returning judge Randy Jackson. According to Lythgoe. "He has an awful lot to say now, whereas before it was only a couple of words. "I'm delighted because certainly 'pitchy' was over-used" and noted DAWG:lol:

Tv Guide..