"All In" Season Finale Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 9, 2009.

1. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

Put me in the episode was OK crowd. CSI fans have gotten spoiled when it comes to season finales since season 5. I did like that the continuity fairy paid a rare visit re the Hux club. I also enjoyed the man from the Gaming Commission. He had just the right amount of embarassment that you'd expect from a man in his position.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't notice that. Good catch. So, it was most likely a brother or father. Definitely couldn't have been his son. :lol: Possibly grandfather, but I doubt it. Honestly though, what did that have to do with the case? :confused: What was the point in showing that?

Exactly! Ray should have waited until the suspect dropped the gun before jumping into that pit. That was very reckless. As for Riley being hard on him, she was in the right this time. I don't know that I exactly agreed with her the last time because that guy shouldn't have hit his kid like that. However, Langston did go about that the wrong way.

I loved that Greg's old Vegas interest was rebooted (for lack of a better word lol).

The ep wasn't really boring to me. It wasn't really season finale material, but at least it wasn't as bad as the 200th episode. :lol: The case was more interesting than the 200th. But, I liked that they touched back on Huxley who I believe was killed in that blind restaurant or whatever (can't remember the name of the ep).

3. silkphoenix

silkphoenix Civilian

That is the worst season finale of CSI! No cliffhanger, no excitement and basically did not leave anything for us to look forward to the next season!

I would not have been so disappointed if it were not shown as a season finale. It was a good show, but not for a season finale! Season finale means cliffhanger, people and stories that make you look forward to find out what will happen in the new season! So my question is, what are we looking for in Season Ten?

4. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

I noticed something last night...

When we saw Catherine and Ray he looked rounder, I just thought it was because they were outside but when Ray was walking down the hallway he looked a lot thinner beside of Nick,who also looked thinner,is this a trick of the camera or it is my imagination?

5. 456

456 Dead on Arrival

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Wow. That was a season finale? I have to say, I'm not impressed. The case itself was interesting... but I think it would have served better as a regular episode, possibly with a B case mixed in.

I'm getting really tired of Ray. Yes, I know, Lawrence Fishburne, big name celebrity and all, but come on! Let's focus on someone else. Did Riley get a single episode that really focused on her?

And let's not forget about poor Nicky. He's one of the few left that has been there since the beginning... and his one appearance in the season finale lasted less than a minute, and served only to explain his absence from the rest of the episode!

So, overall, I wasn't impressed with this one at all. Here's hoping that the season opener is better.

7. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I think they need enroll the help of Quentin Tarantino again.

8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This was it for the season finale. how sad, it was run of the mill, and not something that was mysterious, intense, riveting nor a cliffhanger. like Dragonfly said a regular episode. The old 80's poker chips, and many theories , were they priceless, or worthless? and all the low-lifes running around hiding them, selling them killing for them:confused: etc. Schindler [Gerald McRaney] was good as the articfacts dealer, boy, has he aged, [where was Delta?] The only part that was exciting is when Greg and Langston went to the old dilapitated buttom/poker chip factory out in the remote desert, and them finding the guy hiding under a tarp. I thought Riley was so out of line, who does she think she is? She had no right to get in Ray's face, and them did it again. and he walked away from her [reminicent of Grissom] he used to do that, back at the lab. Ray in getting some old souviners from his past, was murky and vague, who sent these and why? that was never explained. And I can't believe they didn't have Nick in the last ep:( bummer. I usually write down my comments, and watch it twice, but it was painfully boring, and I couldn't get through it again. The outstanding characters to me were Ray, Brass, and Greggie. Then CSI/NY followed, talk about a season finale:eek: it kicked a.. so much better:thumbsup:

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  9. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I agree with this. While season finales are generally supposed to be spectacular, I find that a simple case can be great too. I doubt that the season finales for 1 (The Strip Strangler), 2 (The Hunger Artist), or 3 (Inside the Box) are going to show up in anybodies top ten episode lists. Not saying those episodes were bad, but not outstanding (although I loved 'Inside the Box'). Season 6's finale was also only okay. Apart from Brass getting shot, can anyone remember what the case was in the second half (without looking)?

Finales also don't have to be about cliffhangers or CSI's in trouble. Only 7 and 8 ended in cliffhangers. This may be only me, but I watch the show for the mystery. Of course, great characters make the mystery great. A little drama once in awhile also adds to the flavor of the show. My all time favorite episodes are 'Grave Danger' and 'A Bullet Runs Through it' after all. But to see these men and women in constant danger makes it harder for me to suspend my disbelief. There is only so much a person can take as far as hazards on the workplace are concerned before they feel the need to quit or transfer. For the majority of the show's history, cases are often removed from the investigators. Whenever something minor does happen (suspect pulls a gun) that feels natural. These are hostile suspects. But for there to be a constant big bad villain (Walter Gordon/Kelly Gordon, Natalie Davis, Jeff McKeen) who personally attacks the cast, that makes it harder for me to swallow. Every now and again is fine. Just not every season. However, that is just my opinion.

I felt this was a decent finale for an awkward season. It might have felt like a regular episode, but for them to get back to that point is an improvement.

10. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

Ah THAT's where I've seen the guy! LOL I was trying to figure out why the gaming commissioner guy looked so familiar. I just saw him on tv right now for the A-1 Steak Sauce commercial. He's the guy in the restaurant who puts the sauce on his hamburger, and a guy at the table next to him takes his burger from him.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I personally feel that Riley was not out of line. Okay maybe she could have been a little calmer about it, but she had very valid reasons to be upset. Ray put not only himself in danger, but her in danger as well by jumping in the pit with a suspect who was holding a gun! Ray should have waited until the suspect dropped the gun before jumping in there. It was extremely reckless. I'm glad Riley said something to him. I would have too... well, I probably would have been a bit calmer about it lol (I probably would have said "please don't do that again" cause I tend to use the word "please" a lot. :lol: )... but I still would have told him that what he did was very dangerous and that he should have waited until the suspect dropped the gun before jumping in there.

I think Riley gets a little nervous when people point guns at her. :lol: But her reasons for being upset were very valid. Did she handle it well? Not exactly, but it scared her... and sometimes when we're scared, we react that way. It's like a parent yelling at their kid for going off when they turn their back for a second at a store. You know the whole "you scared me half to death, never do that again... you could have gotten hurt or kidnapped" type of deal. That's how Riley reacted. She was filled with many emotions at that point... anger, relief, etc... that it all just came out in an angry rant. I'm sure at one time or another all of us has been guilty of something very similiar.

I agree. That was just weird. I didn't understand the necessity of that scene at all. Was there a point?

Well, George had to go have back surgery. I kind of knew he wouldn't be in it much. I still don't like the idea of him studying bugs since he hates them ever since being buried alive and bitten by ants, but I guess the writers forgot about that. :shrugs:

Wait a second! I've got it! Maybe the reason for the scene with the medal and the army pic is because he followed in his father's/grandfather's footsteps and went to the services. Maybe he was a Doc in the services. And you know how in wars they're always hiding in pits and stuff? Maybe the scene with the suspect hiding in the pit triggered a flashback for Ray. Maybe he didn't see the gun and only saw the wound and just went back to when he was an army medic or whatever and instincts just took over.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  12. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I enjoyed the CSI:NY finale a lot better.... CSI's finale was not up to finale quality at all, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. It was OK but it could have been better.

Ray made me angry the way he just walked away from Riley like she didn't know what she was talking about, how disrespectful! Especially to a CSI who has seniority. Riley was right in what she said, he was being reckless. I hate that Catherine was interrupted and just let it go.

So Nick's gonna be the new bug guy, that might be cool. Nice way to get rid of him just send him off to Hawaii! Nick fans welcome to the world we Greg fans deal with on a regular basis, it sucks doesn't it?

As for Greg, I was glad to see him as much as we did, but I think if Nick haden't left it would have been Greg with only one scene.

C-

Too much Ray and Riley
    Way too much Hodges
    Not enough Nick, Greg, or Catherine.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

GNRF Yes Riley could hav been nicer and calmer, that's the point she was disrespectul to him, it's none of her business the talk to her 'elder' in such a manner, he can do what he wants, how he wants to, she's not his boss:alienblush: question what was the point of this episode, other to see a bunch of losers scrambling hiding, ripping off, killing about for these stupid poker chips. and I don't think every season fiinale has to be dismal or deplorable or a cliff hanger, but how about more of the team and what's going on with them especially in a season finals~:confused: Greg's book for instance, and who was Rita, Brass's old time 'friend' or Langston's past, things like that:confused:

14. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Actually I said shortly before the last 4 episodes (or somewhere around then) that I'd be happy if he just made an appearance in each of the remaining episodes. So, as a Nick fan I'll say I'm happy with what we got last night. :bolian: Besides I got the feeling from that RDH interview a couple weeks back that his back was a lot worse than they were letting on. :(

Susan

15. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I'm surprised that there have been a few people here who have complained about a lack of Catherine screen time in this episode.

Even as being mainly a Marg/Catherine fan (as most of you know I am), I was actually pleased with her screen time in this one. It really showed off her role as supervisor - first discussing budget issues on the phone with Ecklie, then being at the scene to get the initial run-down of the case, then back to the lab, getting evidence/info from Doc then Riley in her office, then her short convo with Ray in the breakroom, followed by Ecklie & the gaming guy, plus her conversations with Greg about Old Vegas information... I thought this was a great episode to re-assert her role as supervisor - she's not always doing all the work at the scenes, but was definitely involved in all of the aspects.

I think Riley was in the right concerning her Ray/gun dispute. The guy had a gun in his hand. His hand was still twitching with the gun even as Ray went down to grab it. Plus, he really put Riley in an awkward position as she had her gun aimed at the guy when he jumped there. His sudden action could have triggered a reaction from her and instinctually firing.

I liked the fact that Riley talked with Ray about it, then when he ingnored her, she went to Catherine with her problem. I liked the way they played that out.