"All In" Season Finale Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 9, 2009.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Never be sorry for an opinion that might reflect some of what others have said, because you might say something more or add in something else others might not. ;)

2. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

It was actually nice to watch a finale that did not involve a main character being shot or kidnapped. Or another cliffhanger.

Also...

IMO Ray owes Riley a huge apology next season!

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

Well, there is that. Gotta agree with you there, I've never been a fan of the angsty cliffhanger endings. Fine for soapy shows like "Grey's," but I'm not crazy about it for "CSI." It's always felt to me like a desperate measure to draw in more viewers. And it works in the short term, but then you have to have a "Can you top this?" mentality with each finale. If you keep leaning forward long enough, eventually you're going to topple over, so it makes sense to pull back a bit. This was a more restrained approach, to be sure, and that will disappoint those accustomed to what is, IMO, an overhyped approach to a season finale. But I definitely prefer the more restrained style, even if it's deemed boring by others. I think you need a little "boring" every now and then to keep the series grounded.

I still think the issues people have with Catherine and Nick may be attributed to things going on with Marg and George this season. Of course, I don't know that, but I think it's fair to give them room for at least the possibility that that's the case. Maybe next season, having had the summer to work through this tumultuous transition and the behind-the-scenes issues people have been dealing with, they'll be able to return to a more cohesive approach. I really believe they're still working through what the "CSI" landscape should look like, post-Grissom, and that flux has been reflected in several of these episodes since Petersen left. I think they had it worked out really well, in terms of what his departure would be, but they've been less steady since then in knowing what the show should be without him.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. CSIL3Willows

CSIL3Willows Prime Suspect

Well that totally wasn't worth being the reward for finishing my essay.
    Personally, I think Catherine should've chewed Ray out a bit more than she did. Maybe she would have if Ecklie hadn't come in. And that whole comment about Riley being trigger happy... how big headed was that?! I agree with Wojo, he certainly owes Riley an apology... if he's still there next season (is that maybe a bit of wishful thinking on my part...??)
    I don't mean any offence to Ray fans, and I don't have anything against LF, I just hate the way TPTB have used is character, or should that be over-used?
    In my heart of hearts I'd hoped that the season finale would be a good showcase of the team working together, not just *another* excuse for TPTB to give LF more screen time than the other cast members combined. And that whole beginning scene in the hospital, how pointless was that?

My mom argues that it's because he's a new character, but we haven't learnt this much about Riley in double the amount of episodes as we've learnt about Ray in these few.

I did enjoy the little references Catherine made to Sam, and the fact she called him her dad. And Greg showing his knowledge about 'old school' Vegas, bless he's such a geek!
    Also, quite liking the fact the Nicky's gonna be the new 'bug guy'... although part of me thinks he just wanted a vacation to Hawai'i... ROFL.

Overall, 'All In' had the makings of a really good episode, but, like so many others in the latter part of this season, was spoiled by the over-utilization of Ray. I wonder if TPTB will finally get the message and make him take more of a back seat next season...?

CSIL3Willows
    -x-

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I think the opposite, Riley owes Ray an apology, she had no right to dissect, and rag on his quick decision, I thought she was way out of line. He's a cool calm guy and thought this was the right thing to do at the time. And once again TPTB hired Laurence Fishburne, to be the new lead on CSI, everyone already knows this, so I'm surprised that everyone acts so baffled and perplexed by him being on this much. Their not paying him the big bucks to be on here and now, and now and then:rolleyes: This is the way it is~

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Like I said, I can see both sides of it. Ray was thinking like a doctor instead of a CSI, but that doesn't mean that what he did was exactly safe. That man still could have shot and killed one or both of the CSIs. So, Ray still took a risk regardless of his reasons. But yes, Riley was a bit harsh.

They owe each other an apology (to be fair and seeing it from BOTH perspectives). Ray should apologize for acting rash (though with him being a doctor it was instinct and explainable) and putting them both in danger (even if he felt that getting the man medical assistance was more important) and Riley should apologize for being so harsh. I think that's fair enough. :)

However, I don't think we're going to be getting an apology. Judging by past incidents, these writers apparently don't seem think people apologize in the real world or the fictional one for that matter... :lol:

That's true.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. byline

byline CSI Level One

Honestly, I think that people apologize a lot less frequently in real life (especially in work life) than we tend to see reflected in dramas. I can think of a lot of times in my professional life when an apology would've been in order, but because we tend to dig in and protect our respective "sides" (and just because we tend to believe we are right, the other person wrong), that just doesn't happen.

Then again, maybe it's just the people I've worked with over the years. ;)

As for why we haven't learned as much about Riley, even though she's also a new character, I think another poster nailed it. It has to do with dollars and cents, what the respective actors are being paid, and what Laurence Fishburne was hired to do, as opposed to what Lauren Lee Smith was hired to do. I believe it really is as simple as that.

8. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

PLUS....I believe there was a news article a while back here on TALK that stated there was some serious personal issues, (a close friend or family member had been a victim of a crime) that effected Laura Lee Smith in the first half of the season, limiting her screen time and character development. I can't remember the exact article, but remembers reading about it.

9. GregNickRyanFan

I hadn't heard about that. Hmm... And in the latter half of the season, she just recently got married, so maybe that explains part of it too.

10. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Isn't she doing a movie this summer with Ashley Judd? I read it somewhere.

11. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, but I think that didn't start filming until CSI was through filming for the season.

12. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I thought she already did that movie prior to starting CSI. I'm fairly certain that that was 'Helen', which was the movie she just won an award for, which would lead me to believe that it's been out for a decent amount of time.

13. Kohoutek

Kohoutek Prime Suspect

I thought it was okay. Just like a lot of other people did too!

The story was a bit convoluted, but I enjoyed a bit more "old vegas".

I think Riley was in the right. If I had done something stupid and dangerous whilst at work, I would expect to be called up on it. As it happens, Ray ended up saving the life of a murderer (?) at the risk of his and Riley's safety.

The end was a bit "blaaah". I kept wondering why it was taking Ray so long to figure out that the guy was still in the building somewhere. The chips were in the boot of the car, the money was on the front seat along with a plane ticket, the keys were in the ignition... He'd obviously not left. Why didn't Ray go and call for back up?
    As it is, even though I don't hate Ray as a character (I'm just annoyed like everyone else that the show might as well be called CSI: Ray), I was kind of hoping that the end of the episode might mean he comes back in Season 10 and says he doesn't think he can handle being a CSI anymore...... ;)

14. GregNickRyanFan

I know everyone says the end was bland, but I was really expecting a cliffhanger after last season. :lol: Though I would have loved to have had the end of the episode be the whole team out for a beer/dinner, anything together. :lol:

15. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Scheduled to repeat on CBS tonight, 7/31. :)