All I Ever Wanted - an H/Y fic

EyeHeartH

CSI Level One
My first attempt at an H/Y fic, so any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Regarding the time setting of the fic, I figured Ray Jr. was born around 1992, so I set this event slightly over a year before. The year really isn't that important to the story, so it's whatever :)

Disclaimer: I didn't create any of the characters except for Diane Caine and others who otherwise don't appear on the TV series.

New York City – December 13, 1990

Turning over to face the woman lying next to him, Horatio Caine smiled at his companion as he ran his fingers through her thick brown curly hair. When she smiled back, he wished more than anything that this were more than a one-time occasion.
“Good morning,” the exotic female voice whispered.
“How are you feeling?” Horatio asked the one woman he wished he could have for all time.
She hummed softly. “My head hurts a little.”
“I’m sorry,” Horatio said as he kissed her on her forehead.
“Not your fault,” she said, closing her eyes. “I’m blaming it on the drinks from last night.”
Horatio chuckled. “Are we going to be okay? I mean, from here on out? This…this changes everything, you know.”
“I know,” she said quietly.

Three days earlier…

As he put the final signature on the final separation form he would ever have to sign, Horatio drew a deep sigh of relief. The tumultuous past three years had been enough for his now ex-wife Diane, who had finally grown tired of the job and needed to be free from the lonely nights without her husband to fall asleep with. Horatio wanted for her to be happy, so they amicably decided upon divorce.
“Are you okay?” Diane asked the new bachelor.
“If you are,” Horatio replied. “Still friends?”
Diane smiled. “Of course. When are you going to pick up Raymond from the airport?”
“In a couple of hours,” Horatio said. “He’s bringing his fiancee. What timing; just as I sign my last divorce paper, he’s bringing someone he’s about to start a new life with.”
“This is for the best,” Diane said. “I’m just not fit to be a cop’s wife. Some women can pull it off. I can’t, Horatio.”
“As long as we’re still friends, I’m alright with this. You have to admit, though, three years of marriage is pretty damn good for a cop.”
Diane nodded. “I’ll see you around, Horatio. Take care.”
“You too,” Horatio replied as he shut the door behind her. Once he was certain that she was far from earshot, he slowly sat down on the floor and let his head lean up against the door as tears stained his face.
“Goodbye,” he sobbed.

----------

“Horatio!” Raymond yelled from above the crowd gathered at the arrivals gate.
Horatio nodded and headed over to where Raymond stood, although he still couldn’t at that point pick out his fiancee.
“How have you been, little brother?” Horatio inquired, opening his arms for a welcoming hug.
“Busy,” Raymond laughed, returning the gesture with a bear hug.
“So…where is this fiancee you’ve been talking about for months now?”
Raymond chuckled as he turned toward the striking Latina who stood next to him. “Horatio, this is Yelina Salas, my fiancee.”
Horatio stood without words for a few seconds until her extended hand broke the silence. “Oh, uh, pleased to meet you, Yelina,” Horatio said, taking her hand in a shake. He could feel his cheeks red with embarrassment.
Yelina smiled. “The pleasure’s all mine,” she said, grinning a sly grin.
As he continued to shake her hand, Horatio felt his heart begin to race and his breathing becoming more laboured. He wasn’t sure of whether it was his little brother bringing a future wife to meet him on the day he signed his divorce papers or something else, but Horatio knew for a fact that Yelina Salas was quite possibly the most beautiful woman he had ever gazed upon. It was then that he wanted to burst into tears right in the middle of the airport, for he came to the dreaded realisation that, although she would soon become one of the family, she wouldn’t be with him.

You know, I wish they'd show it to us on the show and I wish it'd be just like this. Excellent work! I'm looking forward to the next update :)

Wow...thank you all for the feedback!!! I hope this update lives up to the first one :)

“So, big brother, have there been any big snowstorms this year?” Raymond asked as he unlocked the hotel room that him and Yelina would be staying at.
Horatio sensed that Raymond was desperately trying to engage in any kind of small talk, for the ride to their hotel was plagued with an uncomfortable silence. Living so close to work meant an easy walk for Horatio and thus eliminated the need for a car. However, sitting next to two betrothed-to-bes in a cab was quite taxing on his comfort zone, especially considering the woman who had won over his fancy in such a way that no one else had on that very day was sitting quite close to him. When he saw Raymond’s hand slip into Yelina’s though, Horatio’s heart sank, confining him to the sad silence that would grip him for the rest of the cab ride.
“Well,” Horatio mustered, “nothing big has hit, although the weatherman said that there’s a possibility for some snow in a few days. They don’t know yet if there will be a lot, though.”
“I hope I’m here when it does snow,” Yelina added, her voice sending pangs of desire through Horatio’s heart. “I’ve never seen it in person.”
“When it’s not a nuisance,” Horatio said, looking right into her sparkling eyes, “it’s…quite a sight to see.”
Yelina smiled. “I bet it is.”

----------

After dropping luggage off in the hotel room, the three proceeded over to Horatio’s apartment, a quaint and elegantly outfitted one bedroom dwelling that immediately won over Yelina’s fancy.
“Horatio, this is quite an apartment,” Yelina said.
“Thank you, although some of this was my ex-wife’s work.”
Yelina regarded him with sad eyes. “I heard about the separation. I’m sorry, Horatio.”
Horatio smiled a faint smile. “It’s alright. It was for the best.”
Raymond’s attempt at lightening up the mood interrupted the brief yet intensely emotional conversation Yelina and Horatio were engaged in.
“I don’t know about you two, but I’m starving. What’s good to eat around here?”
“Ray, you used to live here,” Horatio said, a little angry that Raymond interrupted the euphoria he was experiencing during his conversation with Yelina.
“I know, but it’s been awhile. I couldn’t quite possibly remember everything about this city, you know.”
“There’s a nice little Italian restaurant a few blocks down. Diane and I used to eat there all the time.”
“Sounds great,” Raymond said. “May I use your restroom, Horatio? I’ve been holding it in since our plane landed.”
Horatio pointed to his room. “In there,” he replied quietly. When he heard the bathroom door close, Horatio turned to face Yelina.
“So…how do you like New York so far?” he said smiling.
“It’s very large,” Yelina replied. “It seems unlikely that you could do everything you wanted in just one day.”
Horatio chuckled. “I’ve lived here all my life and I still haven’t done everything.”
Yelina smiled. “Have you been down to Miami?”
“Once, when I helped Ray move his stuff down there.”
“How did you like it?”
“It has…an exotic and sexy attitude.”
“Why don’t you move down there, then? It must be awfully lonely here sometimes when you’re not on the job.”
“I’ve thought of moving once or twice just to get away from the bad memories.”
Yelina’s smile turned into a frown. “I wouldn’t want to stay in a place that brought up so much pain, either.”
Horatio could think of nothing else to do but gently nod. Yelina could sense that she touched upon a sensitive subject.
“Horatio? Are you okay?”
Horatio smiled a sad smile. “Yeah, I’m fine.”
Yelina put her hand on his upper arm and rubbed it gently, sending a knotty feeling in his stomach. “I’m sorry if I reminded you of what happened.”
“Don’t be. I’m reminded every day of it.”
Yelina nodded as Raymond reappeared. “You guys ready?” he asked.
“Absolutely…I’m starving,” Horatio replied, wishing that Yelina wouldn’t release her hand from his arm.

----------

Opening the cab door for Raymond and Yelina, Horatio was the last to get in. He took his seat next to Yelina, who sat in the middle. He was glad that the three of them were crowded together in the back seat, for Yelina’s leg rubbing against his made his heart race and his cheeks redden. When she nonchalantly glanced over in his direction and saw that he wasn’t shying away from the close contact, she couldn’t help but smile at the man sitting next to her who turned into a bumbling teenager when she was nearby.

Yelina's first visit to NY and she meets H. I bet he's better than any of the city she's gonna see.

Thanks for the update, waiting to see what happens next.

This one's a bit shorter than the others, but here it is regardless.

The next day, as heavy clouds began to form overhead, Horatio headed over to Raymond and Yelina’s hotel room; he thought that it would be fun to take them to the precinct station he worked at and show them around.
When Yelina answered his knock at the door, however, the look on her face spelled a complication.
“Yelina, what’s wrong?” Horatio asked, concerned.
“It’s Raymond. I think he has the flu.”
Horatio walked into the hotel room and saw Raymond sitting up in bed.
“Yelina, it’s just a little cold. I don’t even have all of the symptoms of flu.”
“How are you so sure?” Yelina asked. “Maybe it’s the onset of flu.”
“Just let me lie here for today and see if I get any better. Horatio, you can show her around. I don’t want her cooped up in here all day.”
“But Raymond, I’m worried.”
“Don’t be. I’ll be fine sweetheart.”
Yelina conceded yet was still unconvinced that Raymond was okay. “Alright, but if you’re worse tomorrow, we’re going to the doctor.”
Raymond threw his hands up. “Fine, fine.”
Horatio couldn’t help but laugh. “You want us to get you something while we’re out, Ray?”
“Yeah, some beer would be great,” Raymond said laughing. Yelina put her hands on her hips.
“You’ll be getting soup and you’ll like it,” Yelina said half-serious. Horatio grinned.

----------

“Your co-workers at the station seem to be fun people,” Yelina said as they walked through Central Park.
“They’re half the reason I’ve stayed here this long,” Horatio replied.
Yelina nodded. “I still think you should come to Miami.”
Horatio smiled. “We’ll see.”
As they continued down the sidewalk, the air started to get colder as the clouds continued to creep over the city. Yelina slipped her arm through Horatio’s and inched closer to his body. Horatio, panicking over the fact that his brother’s fiancée had just done what she did, looked over to see that she was looking straight ahead.
“Uh…Yelina…”
Yelina finally looked up at him, her cheeks reddening over the cooling air. When she saw what she had done, she quickly pulled her arm back and wrapped it over her other arm, embarrassed. “Sorry,” she muttered.
Horatio, kicking himself for making her do that, stopped. “No, you’re alright. I…I was just wondering…why you did that.”
Yelina turned to face him. “I don’t know…I was cold, I guess. Why? Did you think I did it for any other reason?”
“Well, I uh…I…”
Yelina inched closer to where Horatio stood. “Did I make you nervous?”
Horatio’s heart began to beat faster. “Well, I…not really…I uh…”
Yelina smiled. “You’re too cute, Horatio.”
Horatio gave her a puzzled look. “I beg your pardon?”
“The way you turn into this nervous bumbling boy when you’re around me…I just think it’s cute.”
Horatio turned red in embarrassment and ducked his head. “Well, can you blame me?”
Yelina inched even closer. “What are you insinuating, Horatio?”
“That…that…”
Yelina smiled as she put a finger over Horatio’s lips to silence him. “Shh. You don’t have to say anything else.”
“I…I…”
“See what I mean,” Yelina said as she started to walk away.
Horatio stood there for a moment in an attempt to regain normal breathing then ran to catch up with her.
“Wait a second, Yelina,” Horatio said as he grabbed her arm. “What are you insinuating?”
Yelina smiled as if she were clueless. “I don’t know,” she said as she continued walking.
Horatio gave up and walked alongside her.
Yelina once again slipped her arm through his.
“What? I’m still cold,” was all she could say in her defense when Horatio looked at her, demanding an explanation. However, when a snowflake fell on Yelina’s nose, her joyous shriek broke the tension between the two.
“Horatio, it’s snowing!”
“You’ll get to see it snow after all,” Horatio said as Yelina broke free to look up at the now steady stream of snowflakes falling upon them.
“Oh, this is beautiful,” she said as she looked at the flakes that fell onto her bare hand.
Horatio, suddenly concerned that Yelina wasn’t wearing mittens, offered the pair in his jacket pocket.
“Are you kidding?” Yelina replied. “I don’t need gloves.”
“Well, at least take my jacket,” Horatio said as he took his off and put it around her shoulders. Yelina turned her head to take in his manly scent.
“So warm. Thank you Horatio.”
Horatio smiled. “I don’t want you to end up in the same boat as Ray.”
Yelina giggled. “But what about you? You’ll get sick.”
“I’ll be fine,” Horatio tried to reassure her.
“No you won’t,” Yelina argued as she put the jacket back on Horatio. “I was fine earlier.”
“Yelina,” Horatio said as Yelina once again slipped her arm through his. He knew he wouldn’t win this one, and continued down the sidewalk with her closely in tow. Eventually she rested her head against his shoulder, but he was too taken in by the majestic scene being painted by the snow that he allowed for it to happen with no objection.

Does she make him nervous? Hehehe. I think that must be our favourite thing about H/Y. It's definitely mine! He really is 'cute' in those moments. :)
Keep going. ;)

H is always cute but especially in those wringly moments *awww the memories*

Looking forward to the next update.

Here it is...the long awaited update. I apologise profusely, for I haven't had Internet for a couple of weeks now and couldn't post it earlier. That and classes started back up and I've been having to work shop hours as part of the requirement for my theatre minor. That aside, here it is...

The snow continued to fall with the arrival of night, much to the delight of Yelina, who continued to admire the scene from a window in Horatio’s living room.
Horatio couldn’t help but smile as he made hot soup for Raymond in the kitchen, occasionally sneaking peeks at Yelina in awe of the steady fall of snow. When he had finished, he walked over to where she sat and quietly joined her.
“It’s so beautiful,” Yelina whispered once she realised that Horatio was sitting next to her.
Horatio hummed in approval. “I got my first kiss in the snow.”
Yelina smiled as she turned her head to look at him. “Did she kiss you or did you kiss her?”
“I kissed her,” Horatio said. “Unfortunately, we just ended our relationship.”
“Your wife...she was your first love?”
“She was,” Horatio replied. “She was the only one for a time.”
Yelina nodded, trying not to suspect anything.
“I’m sorry,” she muttered. “I know it must be hard for you and all...”
“No worries,” Horatio said. “She couldn’t live with the job, you know?”
Yelina nodded again and quickly changed the subject. “It’s so nice of you to make soup for your brother.”
Horatio smiled. “He’s the only family I have left.”
“For now,” Yelina replied, smiling a sly smirk.
Horatio’s heart, however, sank once the words finally hit him and he ducked his head, for he knew that she would soon become his sister-in-law and nothing else. Yelina’s smirk turned into a frown once she realised that something was wrong with Horatio, but she already knew what it was and once again changed the subject. She felt as though she hurt him every time she touched upon a sensitive subject.
“So...how much longer do you think it will snow?” Yelina asked.
“It could last for days,” Horatio quietly replied as he slowly raised his head back up. “Hopefully there won’t be a blizzard or else you and Raymond could get stuck in New York until it’s safe to fly out.”
“I wouldn’t mind,” Yelina said. “I still haven’t done everything here.”
Horatio smiled and got up to get the soup ready to take over to Raymond.
“Will you be fine here tonight by yourself?” Yelina asked.
“Of course,” Horatio said with a puzzled look on his face. “Are you concerned that I won’t be?”
“A little,” Yelina replied. “I was worried about you last night too.”
“If it’s because I’m freshly divorced, you have nothing to worry about. We’re still friends, which is all right with me.”
Yelina felt somewhat relieved. “That’s good.”
Horatio bagged the thermos of soup and grabbed his house keys. “We should get this over to Raymond before it gets too cold.”

----------

Raymond was quite grateful for his brother’s kindness, for his condition was the same since Horatio and Yelina left earlier that day and warm homemade soup hit the spot.
“Big brother sure knows how to make good soup,” Raymond proclaimed gleefully.
“Have you seen all the snow that’s fallen?” Horatio asked of his brother.
“I’ve been watching the news,” Raymond replied. “They’re saying we could have a blizzard.”
A serious expression on Horatio’s face hid his inner rapture. He could have a bit more time with Yelina before she was taken forever. He would have to make the most of it, however, so he quickly suggested another day running around the city before a blizzard could hit.
“Oh Horatio that sounds wonderful,” Yelina exclaimed. “But what about Raymond? He’s going to miss everything if he doesn’t get any better.”
“I lived here long enough to know where everything is,” Raymond said. “This is your first time in the city, honey. If you want to go sightseeing, who am I to stop you?”
Yelina smiled a girlish smile and landed a quick peck on Raymond’s lips, much to the sinking of Horatio’s heart.
“Oh, thank you Raymond,” Yelina replied. “I’m sorry if you don’t get to come with us.”
“It’s all right,” Raymond said. “As long as you are happy, it’s all right with me.”
Horatio broke the happy moment between the young couple. “If you don’t mind, I’m going back to my place before it gets any colder.”
Yelina smiled a sympathetic smile toward Horatio’s direction. “Good night, Horatio.”
Horatio flashed a small smile back. “Good night you two. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
After Horatio walked out of the room, Yelina walked over to a table that sat near the door to put the thermos there when she noticed Horatio’s house keys lying next to his gloves.
“Oh dear,” Yelina exclaimed.
“What is it, honey?” Raymond asked.
“Horatio’s forgotten his keys and gloves. I’m going to try to catch him before he gets a cab.”
“Better hurry,” Raymond said, “he’s probably already outside trying to hail a cab now.”
By the time Raymond finished his sentence, however, Yelina had already made her way to an elevator, hoping she wasn’t too late. When she ran out of the lobby, she saw Horatio fumbling around in his coat pockets.
Yelina called for him, still out of breath from running to catch up with him. When Horatio turned around to find the source of the exhausted voice, he found a panting Yelina standing at the steps of the hotel front, holding up his keys and gloves. He ran over to her.
“Oh, thank you so much, Yelina,” Horatio said. “I don’t know what I would’ve done without your keen eye.”
Yelina didn’t respond but instead handed the keys back to Horatio with a small smirk on her face. Horatio got closer to her and let his hand rest on the hand she held the keys in for a fraction of a second before he put the keys in his pocket.
Yelina looked right into his eyes as she still held the gloves in her hand. Her heart shot up to her throat as she was being pulled in by the deep blue that his eyes emanated.
“Yelina?”
“Y-yes?”
Horatio grinned. “Are you okay? It’s cold out here. You should go back inside. I don’t want you to get sick like Ray.”
“Oh...okay,” Yelina said, starting to walk back to the hotel with Horatio’s gloves still in her hands. When she realised she still had them, she let out an embarrassed chuckle and turned around to face him once more.
“I’m sorry,” she said, rubbing his bare hands. “Your hands...they’re ice cold.”
Butterflies flittered in Horatio’s stomach. “I...I’m fine.”
Without saying a word, Yelina took each glove and put them on Horatio’s hands. Once she finished, she held them loosely in her own, gently rubbing them.
“Are you sure you’re going to be okay tonight?”
Horatio ducked his head. “Yes. I’ll be fine. I promise.”
“Okay,” Yelina whispered as she gave Horatio a peck on the cheek. Horatio closed his eyes, wishing that he could have done something in return.
“Thank you,” Horatio managed to mutter as Yelina walked back inside. He sighed and turned to hail a cab to take him back to a cold and empty apartment.

Back