Adrien Brody

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Hummer, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I admit, if I went to the cinema to watch The Pianist, I would have found the film a lot more upsetting. The whole cinema experience does tend to increase my emotional feelings towards films than it does when I'm just watching a dvd at home (although it really would have been great to watch Adrien's performance in the film on the big screen). I assume he must have lost a good amount of weight for the role, I imagine mainly for the scenes towards the end of the film when he was alone in the flat. When the German solder gave him his coat, I kind of saw that part coming and I did start to worry towards the end of the film to whether he was going to come out of all this alive.

I think my favourite scene in the film was when he played the piano to the German solider, which was very nice to watch and to listen to. The most shocking scene (picture wise) for me would have to be the scene when he jumped over the hospital wall, towards the end of the film and he was just standing alone in all the debris of near demolished buildings.

There is only one other movie (along the same lines) that really upset me and that was Schindler's List. :eek:

Anyway, I won't bore you all with my rant. :lol: Okay, so any suggestions on any other good Adrien movies? So far I've seen: The Jacket, King Kong, The Village and now The Pianist. Hummer suggested earlier on in that thread that I should get my hands on The Dummy, so that will probably be the next one I watch. :)

2. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

Adrien did lose 30 lbs for the movie I believe. Now, from what I've heard, it was shot in reverse chronological order (the second half, with him weakly and dangerously thinner with the beard, filmed first) and then he gained it back.

Those scenes were certainly moving, I, personally, had a lump in my throat when he did the piano piece for the German soldier. You know, it was the mixed emotions of worrying what the German may do and the thought that a man, with such beautiful music in him, should have to go through what he did up to that point and suffer such a transformation.

And Tink I love to hear you rant. You always have such insightful thoughts and it's interesting to see things from your POV. So don't stop! ;)

Oh, you should definately see Dummy. He's hilarious in it! He plays a nerdish guy like only AB can and you'll certainly love it. I can't talk too much about it without spoiling it, but love the conversations between him and the dummy. :lol: A non-spoilerish cap

Another one that is a must-see is Harrison's Flowers. It's a very moving movie and an important movie. It's set in the '90s, during the Balkan war, and highlights the war through the war journalists, photographers, correspondents, etc. Adrien himself plays an embittered front-line photojournalist and he really does steal the scene whenever he's on camera (which is no suprise to us fans, I know). There's a whole lot more to the story, a romance even - though unrelated to him - that puts a good mix together. I highly recommend it.

3. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Good to know Tink that there's another loyal AB fan out there who hasn't seen Hollywoodland yet either. ;) Hopefully it won't be long for me either.

It's great that you got to see The Pianist. As HnM said, it is certainly an important film and, despite the subject matter, really should be seen by everyone at some point.

And yes, Dummy is certainly one of the best to grab. There aren't many movies about someone who is persuing a career in ventriloquist :lol: and you would think that the movie wouldn't be so interesting, but it really is. Not only is it a coming of age tale but also a pretty good romantic comedy. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on such a sweet movie, Tink. :)

4. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

Just found this out from a friend of mine in London. Hollywoodland premiered in London on Oct 30th and Brody himself attended.

source: u.tv

And a nice pic from that event:
    Elsa and Adrien

5. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Good to know Hollywoodland is finally getting released somewhere outside the US. He's one of those actors that can never have a large enough fanbase. :D

Found this article concerning AB at People.com, he's not no. 1 on this list of the Sexy Stars list (yet) but he's still there near the top. Plus, it's a cute pic of him and his chihuahua:

Sexy Stars and their Sidekicks

6. Mog

Mog Dead on Arrival

My sister in the UK has been waiting for Hollywoodland to premiere. I know she'll be happy to hear that it's premiering now.

And that is a lovely pic of him and his dog.

7. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

Good to see you in here Mog. :)

Another Brody article. Note it's a two-pager. A well written article from a UK site:
    The prime of miscreant Brody

8. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Thank you for the cap HnM. It's definatley going to be the next one I watch and I'm very much looking forward to it. Many thanks for the recommendation of Harrison's Flowers, it sounds very good, I've added it to my list. :)

Great pictures everyone, I love the picture with his Chihuahua Hummer – it’s so cute.

I found an article on the BBC website, which is just outlining what the movie Hollywoodland is about. Unfortunately there is not much of a mention of Adrien, but there is one good picture of him and this great picture of the cast towards the end of the page and Adrien looks very yummy. :D

Mysterious death of a superhero

9. Hummer

Hummer Lab Technician

You're welcome for the chihuahua pic, Tink. Ceelo is adorable - as is Adrien. :) Glad you like it.

And thanks for that link. Both pics are gorgeous and I love the expectant look he's giving in the first one. In the second one he looks a little nerdish :lol: but still real gorgeous. I think he's one of the few people who can pull that off.

Being as I'm from Wales, yet living in the States, I still tend to read the UK papers online :rolleyes: and according to several of them Hollywoodland is to open in the UK, and all of Europe, Dec 1st. :D