8x02 - 'Hostile Takeover' **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

Just saw the episode.

The hostage taker was a wonderful actor. Really insane and intense.

I liked Jesse. Until he took the the shirt off....Then I lost a bit of the build up...Too cheesy.

Dave was awesomeee. <3

Ryan looked good in casual loose clothing. I hope he skips the suits this season.

Dude at the bank was HILARIOUS! I hope our team will have another run in with him in the near future. Maybe for info on a case or something.

End scene was awesome. Ryan joking reminded me of how Jonathan's humor can sometimes escape into his character.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

No Alexx is not meant to return until ep 805 when Eric leaves the team.

There was too much H, as usual, for me in last night's ep. I mean we barely saw Ryan and Nat and I agree they NEED to get Natalia out of the frickin lab! The only time we seem to see her is when she is running DNA and that is like 3 mins out of the entire episode!

And I don't see H being more human....it is the same old "H will save the day b/c he is super H" crap. This show NEEDS to move away from that and focus more on the team. I thought the ending of the ep did that nicely but it was a fleeting moment. And b/c they never do things like that, it seemed soooo out of place and forced. Out of all the CSI's, this one has the least amount of comrraderie IMO.

Eddie still has not grown on me and I highly doubt he ever will. He is too dry and bland and personally felt he had very little chemistry with the cast he shared scenes with. There was really no need for him to lose his shirt either....although I am a little interested in what made him leave Miami and what brought him back. Also think that he should have been brought in after Eric left....if you didn't know Adam was leaving, it just became painfully apparent that Jesse was meant to replace someone on the team and the lack of Eric in the "team" bonding scene at the end, even though he just got out of the hospital, sealed it even more! :rolleyes:

I give the ep a 5.5 out of 10...the .5 is b/c Stetler was in the ep, he gave it that extra push :lol:

What bugs me a little bit is that they obviously didn't want to pay Adam but they went and hired 2 new regular cast members? WTF? Seriously have lost a lot of respect for the people who run this show...hell, even the network.

3. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Why would they need one at this moment though? This episode didn't require one..

4. slower

slower Lab Technician

I enjoyed the episode last night, much better than the season premiere.:thumbsup:

Jessie was OK. But I still have reservations about the chemistry between him and the others on the team, he will never take Eric's place and especially Ryan's place with me. The shirt sceen was tastefully done.;)

Loved Ryan and Frank's funny comments.:lol:

Not enough Natalia.:(

Liked seeing Stetler, he always adds a little extra drama. And the actor taking the hostages was excellent. :)

Hope I covered everthing, I had some dental work done today and feel a little fuzzy. :lol:

5. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

Well no one died in this episode!! So yeah they wouldn't have needed one last night! :lol: People are gonna die in other eps and a large piece of this series is the autopsy...it is a big part of the forensics aspect this show tries to convey.

6. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Liked the episode. Was pretty exciting; especially at the beginning.

Random thoughts:

Loved the actor who took over the lab. Sharif Atkins has been playing more complex characters lately (good guy in ER) and I have enjoyed his performances.

Although I read somewhere that he would be taken out, I was glad to see Adam still in the credits even though he wasn't in the episode. He should stay there until he is gone.

Gee, it's a miracle: Ryan and Natalia can talk! Although I thought their scene time was decent, as a fan of course I am hoping for more in uncoming eppies. Loved the last scene at the bar, good to see them all together, bonding instead of bickering. Loved Ryan's joke at the end, shows Jon Togo's sense of humor--needs more of this. I agree with the idea he is aware he is the youngest and taking it in stride (loved his hair and tshirt and though he looked very very hot).

Yes! Dave Benton (thought he looked hot) and a lot of him.

Although we didn't see him, mentioned Mike Travers (maybe seeing him soon?)

Lots of Frank and a Frankism (lint in the pocket)--very good.

Kind of liked Rick Stetler, but not his wardrobe.

Question: Why didn't they used the tshirt that Jesse put on on the wound instead of Jesse whipping off his shirt? View was nice but still thought it was too gimmicky.

Despite this I think I could end up liking Jesse. Admittedly, I will find it very very difficult if TPTB insist on overusing him at the expense of Ryan and Nat's screen time (Ryan is and will remain my favorite). Seems as if Jesse is featured next week as well. Maybe then we can consentrate on someone else? So far he comes off understated and humble. Liked his comment to Ryan at the end; came off gracious.

All in all not a bad episode.

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Ya know, at first when I watched this I thought it was tastefully done & I thought, ok, the guy's helping save a life here, but now after reading this comment --- you are so right!! :guffaw: It hadn't even registered that he could've used the shirt that was already convienantly there for him to put on after stripping down to expose his pecs! Now it's even more obvious that it was for pure eye candy, thank you, I actually felt ok about the moment up until this fabulous point you just made :lol:

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think that Jesse didn't know there was another shirt nearby (I still wonder why there was lol). The girl probably didn't think of going to look for it until after Jesse had to use his for the wound.

9. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Well, there's a good reason for that. If you look at the scene closely, Jesse was obviously focused on helping the woman Danielle at the time, he wasn't thinking of "Oh where can I find a shirt?" and it wasn't like the shirt was lying right next to him or something, I mean, it was the other lab girl who handed Jesse the other tee shirt, it never registered on Jesse's mind that there would be shirts laying around. And the lab girl probably didn't think about it either until she saw that Jesse would need another piece of clothing.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole shirtless scene made logical sense. And besides, it was still done well whether intentional or not.

10. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I know and when they need one, they'll get him/her but I don't think that should be held against this ep...

I thought the same thing. I figured he put his own shirt back on..

11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Glad to see the team get together off the clock for something.

But just a thought: Now that Rick Stetler made Lieutenant, how about Horatio and the team throw him a surprise "wetting-down" party? It would be better late than never, but I'm sure Horatio couldn't resist humiliating the guy in a nice way, especially since he's the senior ranking Lieutenant.

In LE and the military, a wetting-down party goes like this: Before the promotion ceremony, the promotee buys the beer, usually a keg. Someone fills two pitchers full of beer and drops each rank pin into a pitcher, and the promotee has to get the pins out of the pitcher in time for the ceremony--WITHOUT GETTING HIS HANDS WET!! (Read: he has to either chugalug both pitchers or get baptized!) It would be a great way for H to mess with Rick's head by putting him on the spot and doing a nice thing at the same time.

12. Della

Della Police Officer

Such a disappointment from the Premiere. Maybe I’ve watched too much Miami or maybe too many ‘Detective’ shows overall because, for me, it seemed pretty obvious that there was something else on the agenda than simply taking hostages – and as for the taking of hostages just to get Horatio Caine on the case that was downright ludicrous... and as someone else pointed out, where on earth was the security for the building? All in all, too many contrivances to hold any interest for me whatsoever.

...Also, despite the excellent acting that was going on, the whole thing was incredibly disjointed. Ted was taking medication? For what? Did he need to take the medication or was he just taking it so he could see his son? Which if he was taking it just to see his son then that brings up a whole lot of other questions undermining doctors and what not.

Um, was Calleigh promoted during Season 7 to Lt? If not then her lack of respect, title wise, towards Stetler seriously grated on me. She may call Stetler “Rick” outside of work, but when you’re in work you respect them by their title, unless you are of the same rank or there has been some agreement that she can call him by his first name, which I have never seen. I couldn’t even call them friends.

On the subject of Calleigh – I was also not a fan of how they undermined her character simply to promote the Jesse character. Last week, despite the fact that it was soooo painful to see her sooooo green, she did display the caring gene in spades for me, however, if we’re to go with her being so easily convinced of Ted’s guilt, then seh has lost that caring/understanding gene along the way somehow.

I do like the new character Jesse, but he’s being ruined by stupid things, such as taking off his shirt which was quickly replaced with a t-shirt. If they were that quick with the t-shirt then why did he need to take his shirt off in the first place? Oh yes, of course, just to give the viewers something to drool over. Someone should tell the PTBs that not everyone is going to like what they see, so while it might be a nice distraction for some, for others, like myself (if indeed there are any others like me – chuckle), who are only interested in the characters, it’s a complete turn-off.

Also, Jesse was not that good during the hostage situation. His continual telling of Ted to calm down was making the situation far worse, and in all honesty, I would say he was partly responsible for the woman getting shot as well. He should have recognised the fact that his talking was agitating Ted and not soothing, the fact that he didn’t recognise what his talking was doing, that put a dent in his capabilities for me. Sooooo, I was far from impressed with Jesse during the hostage situation.

I do, however, like his demeanour and I am intrigued to know more about the character, but not if getting to know Jesse is detrimental to some of the other characters screen-time, especially Frank and Ryan’s.

All in all, I wasn’t that impressed with this episode at all. A complete lead balloon compared to the premiere. I can see they are trying really hard to let in the Horatio of Old, of which I am grateful, but it’s just not working for me at the moment. The thing is, I have no idea whatsoever as to why it’s not working for me, and that’s incredibly frustrating.

I think Jesse could be a really interesting character, of the Speed kind in my humble opinion, but his competence is being undermined by the intro of silly, stupid aesthetic things like the taking off of his shirt and also by the PTBs showing a lack of observation during the hostage situation. Granted he knew what to do to ensure her wasn’t discovered as being a cop, but he just didn’t know when to STFU... Not good.

:)

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

^ Maybe Jesse is one of those people who talk too much when they're nervous. That would be like a nervous tick and something that isn't easy to turn off. :shrugs:

I liked the episode. I am not sure if I'm even going to watch the premiere because I think it was very disrespectful of tptb not to let Ryan and Natalia even said a word a piece (not only was it disrespectful to the characters/actors, but also to the fans of the characters/actors)! And for that reason, I may not ever watch the episode. I don't care about the hospital stuff and once Rory turned them down, I had no interest in the 1997 stuff. It just isn't something they should have done IMO because without Rory, the whole storyline/timeline just sort of fell apart.

I'd take this episode over the premiere any day because the screentime balance was much better. I'm sorry, but I'm not really all that interested in episodes where characters who are a part of the team are blantanly ignored without regard to the feelings of the actors and their fans. It's just completely and utterly rude of tptb in my honest opinion.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  14. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Yup was thinking the same damn thing and even shouted that out. Honestly he cannot go anywhere without those.:cool:

15. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I agree with you GNRF!