8x01 - 'Out of Time' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 18, 2009.

1. electra

electra Pathologist

The season premiere doesn't sound very promising given the reviews here.Less exciting then a regular episode.And it may become worse.So just to be clear,we don't even know Why eric had surgery?

2. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Blah! All I have to say is that I hope this doesn't set the tone for the whole season!

3. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I wasn't expecting much of Ryan but one line in the present since they failed to mention him in the past would have been nice.

H and Eric have always been fairly close, even more so after Speed died. And H was married to Eric's sister too, which could have strengthened the bond. I had no problem with H's scene at Eric's bedside; it was touching and heartwretching for a man who already lost his brother, wife and coworker. He probably is closer to Eric than Kyle (who he has know only briefly), Yelena (who is his ex-sister in law) and Ray Jr. (who he may or may not see too often). He has worked every day for a long time with Eric, so his emotions are natural. He did kiss the forehead of a cop he barely knew at the beginning of Seeing Red, so his bedside speech to Eric seems okay to me.

Any mention of Ryan in the past would have worked for me (if it made sense) but not even attempting it makes him look as if he doesn't count and isn't really part of the team. :(

That was funny:lol:

4. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I have to say that I did enjoy the episode.
    Sure there were some continuity issues and a total lack of Ryan, which was hard!
    And I did find Cal annoying, in the past and the present, but I thought DC did a great job with all of his scenes and it was good to see the team coming together.
    I also thought that they introduced Jesse well. It wasnt too much (maybe it will be a different story for his first proper epi) but they handled it well.
    Hopefully they will explain next epi what is going on with Delko, because I was rather confused.

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

There were already things in the episode that made no sense.There should have been something more for him in the present,perhaps like speaking a single line.I think most know that the flashback would have been difficult to pull off,there is no excuse for the lack of present time.There has already been a hope for a great story arc for him and Natalia in the past and here we are going into season 8 still waiting for the same in the future.

That is correct,we still don't know.

6. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ I agree that Ryan should have had at least one line, in the present time. What really surprised me though is that Natalia didn't get to say anything in the flashback. Not even 'here are the results' or whatever.

7. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

I agree that in that other episode it was revealed Ryan was from Boston so that's why he wasn't in the past memories scenes but also maybe Jesse referred Speedle to work there but Megan was named head of CSI and Horatio and Speed were 'under' her at work...I liked the flashback scenes just thought everyone wanted equal screen time for everyone and that just isn't possible..

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    No,not just equal screen time,but more than 5-10 seconds without lines.
    Not to expect to see much of Ryan and Natalia is one thing,
    what we got was something entirely different,which was nothing.No,they weren't there(at least Ryan wasn't) in 97.Both Ryan and Frank donated blood. What would have been the problem with Ryan and Frank discussing donating blood in the present? There just should have been a little more effort for those characters.
    That's just crappy and there's no excuse for it.
    I hope that the season will see them treated better than they were in the premiere.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  9. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

Thought the episode was better than I thought it would be after reading the spoilers. I think they showed us a lot of Jesse in this one to give us a little background because he is supposed to have a history with H and it helps to establish him.

Really didn't expect to see much of Ryan or Nat because they just weren't around in 1997. It's the beginning of the actual CSI lab itself, and we have already seen their beginning in the lab in other seasons. So it didn't surprise me to not see much of them as the episode was centered on the past.

Overall the season is off to a better start than I hoped but I still am quite a bit wary of the future. But then, I'm a pessimist.

10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I am hoping the same thing. And what would have been the harm of them saying anything in the present time?! Those of us who are fans of Ryan et al. wait all summer to see our favorites in the new season and they can't even say ONE LINE in the season premiere, even if it isn't "their episode. Not much respect there for the actors or their fans for that matter, and you are so right greatfan; there is no excuse:scream::(

11. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I agree that they could have made more of an effort. Not one word is pretty bad. I knew that Ryan and Nat wouldn't feature much but I expected a few words from them at least!

12. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Excellent opening to the season! A very enjoyable episode indeed..

13. .speed.delko.

.speed.delko. Rookie

I re-watched the season premiere yesterday when I finished season 7.

I remember someone said there couldn't have been enough time for Delko to go to the Academy before becoming a CSI. I'm not sure if it was intended, but it seemed in the series premise (CSI crossover) that Delko got his badge within the past couple months. I'd say probably fall of 2001.

And that makes sense, because the flashbacks were in September of 1997. But then you have enrollment, could he have started the Academy on the first of October? :S

But I think you have to be a certian age, and Delko turned 21 in December of 1997.

14. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Hi. Think the epi was ok .

Most stuff was allready mentioned so just a short babbling ;)

Can understand that they excluded Ryan from the flashbacks , but not even ONE sentence in the present :eek: :scream:

I can't hate Jesse 'cause I simply like the actor and it's nice to see him again *g* . Jesse's intrudaction wasn't even so bad , not too in your face and seems a little toubled (backstorie please) while doing good work.

I'm more afraid that they'll mess up Eddie C.'s chara like they did Ryan's :shifty:.
    Would be great if they simple could become friends *eg* (Ryan still seems like the odd kid out ).

The flashbacks were cute (someone got hair :lol:) ...talking about hair , I miss Alex long hair (and her chara ^^ )

15. Griffon

Griffon Hit and Run

I found 8x01 'Out of Time' rather confusing. It did not explain what happened in the Season 7 final and from my point of view did not contribute to the overall story line. OK, we learn that Horatio already seemed to know Eric, even when Eric still worked for the recovery company. When Eric finds the body and they send Horatio, the words they exchange indicate that they do not meet for the first time. The Calleigh they show us in 1997....well, I cannot say that I found her portrait very 'flattering'. She appears a bit strange with her high pitching voice, her forced smile and her tendency to shout....The new character Cardoza made quite a good impression: He's presented like a competend police officer who has quite a clue about what he's doing. So it ill not be 'out of story line' if he takes a leading role together with Horatio in Season 8. He's basically not a newcomer to the crime scene investigation business, but rather an 'old hand' who went for several years somewhere else and now returns to MDPD CSI. The short scene with Nathalia was also ok. It explains her competence in a DNA lab and her professional past, also I'd like to know why someone who works for the Feds goes to the local police force out of a sudden. As far as I know, the working conditions in a Federal Administration in the US are rather more interesting salary- and career-wise then those for local administrations....but well, perhaps Season 8 will tell us her backstory.
    The fact that Ryan was not mentionned: Rather in line with the overall backstory: In 1997 he must have been approx. 20 years old, according to Season 5 in Boston and just entering the Police Academy; so here nothing strange. Anyhow, there is one episode of Seson 8 which is called 'Officer Down' as far as I remember and if we take the average from all three CSIs -LV, NY and Miami- of how long actors are maintained on the shows, it would be about his time to get the kick and be replaced by somebody else (the thee CSIs seem rather inclined to change the male actors more frequently then the female ones). So nothing strange here either.

From the first season 8 episode, I'd say, we'll have a year with Caruso and the new guy playing the key roles, Eva LaRue getting a bit more screen time, Jonathan Togo droping into the backrow (he appears to get his name in the trailer now after Eva LaRue's), Emily Procter continuing along the Season 7 line and carrying on the story with Adam Rodriguez for the 10 episodes he seems to stay on and then perhaps having a 'baby break' or something and Rex Linn continuing as Tripp with about the same show time the two oher CSI Cops Brass and Flack get on their respective shows. My feeling is that for CSI Miami Seson 9 we migt have a situation like CSI LV, with only few of the actors from the older seasons left (probably Eva La Rue and Emily Procter...back from Calleigh's baby break'), the new guy Cibrian rasing up to the front line (perhaps even replacing Caruso) and then a whole bunch of new faces.