"19 Down..." Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Dec 6, 2008.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

^
    I'm sorry that last line had me in stitches!:guffaw::guffaw:that made my day! I know it's sick but then I have a morbid sense of humour!

2. CSI4LF

CSI4LF Victim

Not sure but I think Ed Gaines was legally sane, but there is debate weather he was a true serial killer...he "only " killed 2 people that was ever proven and they were considered "undesirables" . One was a killer himself and the other was a child abusing domestic prostitute, the characters Dexter, Leather face, and Hannibal lecter were loosely based on him, but Gaines was more of a grave robber. His trophies were from bodies he had stolen from funeral homes cemetaries, and even a morgue. My guess is DJK is a cross between Bundy and Gaines.

3. muse2greats

muse2greats Dead on Arrival

OMG!!!!
    I finally got to watch this episode and OMG, with the TO BE CONTINUED at the end... OMG....
    This is a really good epi. Of course, I liked Silence of the Lambs and Hannibel Lecter too...
    I worked with a guy in Jacksonville, Fl that was a corrections officer at the FL state pen when Ted Bundy was there.
    I think it's kinda weird that everyone is so emotional over Grissom leaving, yet no one has really shown that much emotion over Warrick's death. It's kinda strange in my book; Like they just forgot to put it in the script... I will say thought that Catherine is showing a bit more mourning type emotion though. Atleast I thought that she was.

4. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I get the feeling that he did know right from wrong, based on his comment about the 10 Commandments. I got the impression that the attention was a significant motivation for him. Like Grissom says, he loves to have people listen to him and, as one of the CSIs hypothesized, he was willing to spend more time in jail just to avoid sharing credit for the crimes. Langston definitely made it sound, when he discussed what DJK did wrong, like DJK wanted to get caught, maybe for the attention. I can't say I know very much about serial killers, but I felt like the need for attention was DJK's most notable attribute, and that he is, as a result, most similar to whichever serial killers were similarly motivated.

5. m1304m

m1304m Dead on Arrival

Episode 9 came to soon for me. I shudder to think that in 4 weeks we will see Petersen's exit :(. I sense that only Catherine and Dr. Robbins knows why Grissom is leaving. Dr. Robbins says "Are you running to someone" Catherine says "I knew before even you knew". Catherine has always know that Grissom has been unhappy since Sara left.

I season 8 episode 8, she advised Grissom to take some time off and go after Sara - Grissom should have gone to Catherine for advice insead of Lady Heather. A genuine therapist or even a friend would have advice Grissom to talk it over with Sara, to see if they could mend the relationship. Instead this "tarot reader" firmly told Grissom that the relationship ended a long time ago and that he is now mourning for it. Instead of telling Grissom to face the fact, she advised him to hide out in her guest bedroom to forget Sara.

It looks as if Sara has left permanently - I do not believe this even for a second. it does not make sense for Grissom to give up everything as the head of CSI, the lab, the People whom he loves working with - his work family and move to any city and still be a loner. He might as well stay in Vegas

My bet is that he has woken up from his funk and decided that he rather be with Sara that lead the CSI team. In Season 3, in Butterflied, he had said that he will not risk everything he had work for Sara...BUT...in last week's episode, Grissom had said that "its about time he raised his ante"

Grissom: "The only person I have ever loved....Sara"
    Sara: ...you are my one and only. Our Lives together was the only real home I ever had. I wouldn’t trade it for anything"

6. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Catherine knew Grissom would burn out and leave the job someday. It's not about Sara. It's about Grissom and about how Catherine knows him better than he knows himself. And as there really isn't anything "shippy" in this episode, I think your review will get you more positive response if you post it in the GSR thread.

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah I agree because this episode was NOT ONLY about Grissom leaving this was about the introduction of Langston and the team on the hunt for a serial killer-an interesting serial killer.

I think this guy tops it for me. I haven't been this freaked out since the Blue Paint Killer-boy that guy was creepy, I stil have that last scene in my head.

Can't wait for part two.I still think it was one of those students in that conferance.

This was not a shipper eppy although many GSR fans will take an episode of CSI and make it about their ship.

And they wonder why they get fans like me :scream:

8. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I agree. I think we've always seen that Catherine knows Grissom better than he knows himself. Sometimes I think it's the same the other way, but it definitely showed in this episode how well she knows him.

And by the look he gave her, I think he knew right then that she'll always know him.

Lady Heather always said that Grissom's greatest fear was being known.

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

No, this is not a shipper thread, but you can post here if it pertains to the episode, and I also think the Catherine/Grissom discussion was about Sara. Catherine has always been supportive of he and Sara, dating back to Burden of Proof. And she has seen the change in Grissom since Sara left. I don't think she would have the same sweet and understanding reaction if she thought he was just leaving to be alone with his bugs or with LH (since she has clearly shown she doesn't approve of her). I think she is happy for him for following his heart, and for getting 'his head out of the microscope'. In real life she probably feels the same; happy he is leaving for his love of the theatre, but she will miss him all the same.

One of my favorite scenes was with Super Dave and Grissom; two nerds getting all emotional. Who knew!

I agree with others that one of the students is likely the killer. One of them is an actor named Jimmi Simpson, and he can do creepy well. He is also slated to be in One To Go, so that may be a clue. If you google him you can find a picture, and I'm sure you will recognize him.

A good episode. Wish we didn't have to wait a month for the ending though.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday!

10. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

Thanks for sharing. I get GSR shippers may interpret it that way. I have never thought what Catherine told Grissom in the ending scene of Burden of Proof was focused on Sara (Sara's leaving caused that conversation, but Catherine was talking about him, about how he needed to change, not about him and Sara), and I have never thought she was glad for him about Sara. She may appear to be supportive because he was an old friend who was important to her, but happy for him? Sorry, I never get the impression. I also remember how she doesn't approve of office relationships. IMO Grissom wants a change for a lot of reasons, and yes Sara may be one of them (as is Warrick), but she's not all of it. What Catherine knew, and saw, was how tired Grissom was and how he needed a change. I don't think her reaction would be any different regardless of the reason why he made the decision because what he's leaving for isn't the point. The fact that he wants to change his life is. I really do get that shippers would see it in a shippy way, but it bothers me that such a great scene that showed understanding and tenderness between two old friends is reduced to just GSR by some people.

But hey, it's just me. :)

11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Hi Erica. I didn't mean to imply that it was only about Sara. Warrick's death has had a big impact on him, too, and he is examining what's important to him in this second half of his life. I just think Catherine is happy for him for following his heart for a change.
    I do remember she and Nick aren't in favor of office romance, but I also believe they both love Sara and Grissom, and they would support their friends, regardless. In A La Carte they seemed to be very accepting of them once they were outed.
    Anyway, it was a nice scene for Catherine/Marg and Grissom/Billy, and it was very genuine.

12. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

With all due respect, this episode was about the introduction of Dr. Ray Langston and Grissom's quest to find a serial killer before he departs-nowhere did I see any reference to GSR, but I'm sure GSR fans would take it anyway they see even if Grissom is sitting on the can doing the crossword puzzle with Cat standing outside the door discussing the case.:rolleyes:

Grissom's ticked me off over the years with GSR-but I loved the Grissom we got in this eppy-he was HOT when he was questioning the serial killer:drool:. Me loves a Grissom in action! Like in Harvest with that pedophile-he was goood!

But then I love men in action-not so much romance!

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

With all due respect I was responding to Erica and I even said that in my opening. If you check my original post I think you will find it was about the case and the whole episode.

Sorry, Destiny, for getting off topic.

14. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

hahah, that's the ultimate CSI-fan humour! ;)

yeah, and the killer in Hitchcock's Psycho was based on Ed too. both Ed and Norman Bates had major mommy issues. i always found Ed Gein more fascinatng than Leatherface or Lecter even. the first was just plain crazy and Ed had a lot more to offer, psychologically-wise.

oooooh, fantastic point! Ted Bundy's motivation was possession, that he could feel like God when he took lives away, and DJK's was attention. Ted Bundy was sinister but the way DJK talks and what he says makes him even more evil, at least from the exerior. i wonder now, what triggered him to start killing. i'm thinking he was probably majorly overlooked by his parents (i'd say both parents, which is why he kills couples). but that's a layman's opinion. :p

i think so too. but i also think that it's okay if someone sees certain scenes in a shippy way, and somebody else doesn't. the show has had many ambiguous scenes that pertain to CSI's personal lives and one of the reasons for it is that you can interpret it just the way you feel it. you can't make everyone think the same and there is just as many opinions as there is people who watch it.

i, for example, don't think Catherine was dissaproving to Grissom and Heather's relationship. she maybe didn't like the fact that he provided her with an alibi by, what it seemed, sleeping with her in TGTBATD, but in the same episode she praises Heather and says both she and Grissom had chemistry, and it was good for him to find somebody outside work.

but i also agree with jtd94 that Catherine wants him to be happy and she can see Sara's absence isn't doing him any good. she even tells him he should take a leave and visit her. one of the important things that made Catherine supportive is, imo, Grissom's slip-up in Living Doll that suggested he loves Sara. also the next episode Cath sees how he is worried about her and fights to find her alive. i think Catherine is a good friend who respects his choices and wants him to pursue happiness, no matter what she thinks of office romance, which btw, is not something she hadn't considered hersef (Yo!Bling comes to mind).

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah but it's open season when you post it on the message board, it's like being a deer with a shoot me sign posted on you.

Sorry D, I's trying to be good.