"19 Down..." Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Dec 6, 2008.

1. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I think Catherine would be supportive as long as Grissom is happy, no matter who he's with. To me, Sara is never the reason why Catherine cares. Grissom is. It's just that Sara happened to be the one that was with him. You're right about one thing. Catherine respects him and encourages him to find happiness. And she'd still do that even if his happiness isn't related to Sara. Let's just not forget how supportive she was to Grissom and Teri Miller back in season 1.

As for office romance, I have to disagree with you. Catherine had feelings for Warrick, but she never acted on it, and their relationship became pretty platonic at the end. I think she knew better than acting on her feelings back then.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I saw a brief mention of this way up in the thread, scanned later posts for more info but found none, so if this was discussed already somewhere, apologies and someone please point me to it, because I'm interested! :)

The crossword puzzle that Grissom looked at and then threw away...he was definitely looking at the 19-down spot that was partially filled in.

I'm a puzzle freak. And it had to have some meaning, right? Even if it was an "Easter egg" type of thing put in by the writers. So here is the word:

_ _ A _ _ _

The first blank completes the word _ O L U T E. Solute? Or Polute?

The second blank completes the word _ R E N D S. Trends?

The fourth blank completes the word E M _ E. No idea really. Emee or emme?

The fifth blank completes the word S P _ L I C A N S. Again, no idea.

The last blank completes the word H E L _. Either help or held. I'm leaning toward "held" because an E in the previous blank along with this D would make it a past tense word, although spelicans is not a word.

So we have something like S T A _ _ E D.

Anyone game on helping to figure this out before it drives me crazy? :D

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

This one almost has to be a vowel or a sometimes vowel. :lol: It isn't an A, or I can't find it on dictionary.com.

Actually, it is. It's a variation of "spilikin". When I click on spilikin, it says "a jackstraw or a game of jackstraws". Some kind of game in which you use pegs. :lol:

This one could be Emre or Emae. Emre is some kind of foreign title or something I think. Emae is an island. Or Empe which is some kind of settlement in the netherlands.

Could this one be Hell or Helm?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  4. Smokey

So then I thought, maybe someone else started the puzzle and all the answers aren't right. But it's in his office on his desk facing him like he was working on it. So I assume he had them right so far. :)

Other words completed in the puzzle that I can see are wit, ample, destiny, eagle-eye, splinted, opines, pest, and Aesop.

But...if he does have a couple wrong...the one that is _lintlaanes could really be Flintstones, making the A in 19 down really an O.

So we would have S T O _ _ E D.

5. GregNickRyanFan

Stopped? :lol: stomped?

6. Live4GrissNSara

Live4GrissNSara Lab Technician

I've stared at this crossword puzzle forever, and I think we may be looking at it wrong.
    We've been looking at this as if Grissom figured out the word and it was something that bothered him.
    But I think what bothered him was that he couldn't figure out the word in the first place. This is symbolic to Grissom's departure.
    Throughout the series Grissom has always finished his crossword puzzles. By him not being able to complee it, it shows us that his sharpness has deteriated first in his work and now with a simple crossword puzzle.

I'm just speculating, I do love symbolism.

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Wait is it 6 or 7 letters?

8. Smokey

Sorry! You're right. It is six letters. Changing the A to an O and assuming that the first two are right (because "trends" is really the only word to fit, so the first one should be "solute") leaves us with S T O _ _ _ .

9. Live4GrissNSara

Live4GrissNSara Lab Technician

10. Smokey

Excellent!!! Nice job! I tried to find the NY Times to see if it was the same, but I never would have looked for 1995. What's that about? :wtf:

And it WAS Flintstones! :lol: Even Grissom doesn't know everything. Showing again that he's not necessarily up on pop culture (can you say Fonz?). :)

11. GregNickRyanFan

I think the word is STARED. if EMYE was a word, I'd say it was STAYED as in "Grissom should have stayed", but alas I don't think EMYE is a word, so STARED is probably what it is. :lol: Grissom stared at the crossword puzzle until he couldn't stare at it any longer? :lol:

12. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

well, i both agree and disagree. i think Cath is definitely more of a Grissom's friend than Sara's and that she would be on his side, if anything happened, but i don't think she doesn't care about Sara at all. they've had some rocky moments but i do believe that Catherine wants them both to be happy. and if it means happy together, that's killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. i think that despite their differences Cath and Sara are friends who care for one another.

i didn't say she acted on it, but that she considered it. i mean if she had fantasies about him, there is a fair chance she considered some kind of involvement with Warrick. they had quite a few meaningful scenes over the years. and just to be clear, i don't ship Yo!Bling. ;)

13. Smokey

Well, if he had completed it correctly, the word was "storms". :) And yeah, the fact that he picked it up and threw it out instead of working on it some more...gee...what could that be a metaphor for? :lol:

14. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Could be STOKED? For Nick Stokes... :guffaw:

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Or stoned!