Love History?

Oo, I'm a huge history lover too :D

I'm always spouting off random historical facts and it annoys my friends so much.
My family thinks I'm crazy because I like history. I think they're crazy because they don't!

One of my goal's is to visit a lot of the major US historical landmarks, that would be like the greatest thing ever. CoachMom, you're so lucky that you've been to all of those places!

Lol, I thought this was about something else too :lol:

I love history too, but not the periods the posters above me like (wait, wrong thread.:p).
I prefer Ancient Greece and Rome, the stories of Troy, the Roman Empire, the beginning of more civilization, Celts and Angels and Saxons! Up until about the 12th century, then I start to lose interest. :p

It's more about finding the key to our civilization, how it started to exist, how it evolved etc. It's the main reason I loved Latin class in High School, and why I seem to be the only one at uni who actually likes reading Old Saxon texts, and learning about them.

I've been to Italy and Greece and visited a lot of the ruines remaining from those times. My friends even appointed me as their tourguide because I love telling the stories behind the ruines. But I didn't mind, as it was pretty fun. :lol:

I like history, but I'm more into ancient history than the World Wars and those type of things. Ancient Egypt has to be my favourite, my tattoo is even the Eye of Horus. I've been obsessed with ancient Egypt since about grade 6. :lol: I'm not sure what I'm going to major in during university but something to do with history would be interesting. I'm making sure I take as many of the history courses I can during high school, anyways. :p

Of course, I've never travelled anywhere farther than Ohio, but I'd love to go to Egypt especially, and a few other places.

I don't really have any particular time in history like I like more than others, but I probably know the most about the American Civil War. Anything ancient history rates pretty high in my book too.

I'm with you luf, I took all of the history classes that were offered when I was in high school. So far I've taken two American history courses in college, and I'm in a World history class right now. The same professor has taught all three of them and he always tells me "I just can't get rid of you can I?" :lol:

I love Ancient times too, mostly Rome. I took as many history classes as I could in college-of course I was a history major! :D

So did anyone see the thing on Lincoln? If you, what did you think?

Last edited:
Those of you who were history majors..... what type of jobs do you have besides teaching? Because I was thinking of finally declaring my major as history but I don't want to become a teacher!!

Those of you who were history majors..... what type of jobs do you have besides teaching? Because I was thinking of finally declaring my major as history but I don't want to become a teacher!!

I haven't done anything with mine yet because I married and had kids. I had an internship set up to work at the Smithsonian which might have led to a job there (which I was hoping for) but never went through with it cause hubby didn't want to move.

I haven't done anything with mine yet because I married and had kids. I had an internship set up to work at the Smithsonian which might have led to a job there (which I was hoping for) but never went through with it cause hubby didn't want to move.

Working at the Smithsonian? I think I would have left my hubby for that! :p But then I'm divorced so......:p

Can't really help with your question except to say I didn't want to teach either. Actually didn't for a long time. I have Criminal Justice degree and then went back to school later for my teaching degree. Love it...but couldn't have done it at first.

Not really double posting here because it's been 2+ weeks since my last post.

I'm in Washington DC right now with my kids and loving it! I've been here several times but it's my kids first time. We did all the monuments today (Washington, Lincoln, Vietnam, korea, WWII, etc.) Tomorrow we are doing a tour of the Captial and then the Air and Space museum.

My oldest want to do the Spy Museum and the Crime Museum where you get to be a CSI! :) If we have time we're going to do it.

Not really double posting here because it's been 2+ weeks since my last post.

I'm in Washington DC right now with my kids and loving it! I've been here several times but it's my kids first time. We did all the monuments today (Washington, Lincoln, Vietnam, korea, WWII, etc.) Tomorrow we are doing a tour of the Captial and then the Air and Space museum.

My oldest want to do the Spy Museum and the Crime Museum where you get to be a CSI! :) If we have time we're going to do it.

How fun! I can't wait till June to go back! That Korean War Memorial is so cool. It's my favorite. They look alive to me almost. I have heard about the new Spy Musuem. Is the Crime Musuem with it? Please post and tell us more! Also, anything you checked out you think would be great or different to see. I've been there 3 or 4 times but I know I've missed stuff!

So we did the Capital today. It was great. My mom arranged a tour for up with a staff memeber from her congresswomans office. I'm not sure if everyone can do this but it was very informative and our group was just the five of us, no extra people.
We went from there to the Air and Space Museum. My kids loved that. There are simulators and everything. The funniest thing about it is that here I was sitting, talking to my mom (my kids are in an exhibit) and who walks by me but one of my students! Keep in mind that I am approximately 15+ hours from home. I couldn't believe it!
From there we went to the National Archives and saw the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution etc..,. I found it interesting that in there is the deed where Charles "Pa" Ingalls (from the Little House on the Prairie books) bought his land that you read about in the books.

Tomorrow...the Holocaust Museum (can't wait--I haven't been to this one before), Bureau of Engraving and Printing (the Mint), The Museum of American History and possibly the Spy stuff.

Hi history fans...

There are some supergood books out about Alexander the great and Cesears rise to power. I wish I could remember the titles but...

There is one about Desiree the girl who almost married Napoleon, but became the queen of Sweden instead.

In Europe Germany had a terrorgroup called Badermeinhof or Rote Arme Franction there is a couple of movie in cinemas and on DVD at the moment. I am going to see one of them.

Once went the museum of the working man in former East Germany. It was sooo boring. The whole class went looking for the cantine.

Later went to Dacau(?) former koncentrationcamp of the Nazi. Just looking at the pictures made me ....and meet a russian man who cried his eyes out and show the tatoonumber...Didn´t understand a word he was saying but got so moved by it all.

Who is to say what makes you intereset in things?

I loved visiting Washington D.C!! The Spy Museum was awesome!!! When you walked in, you were put in a room with a bunch of profiles on the walls. And you had to memorize one of them just in chase someone started questioning you! And I got to crawl through an air duct. It was pretty fun and hands on, which is always a good thing!

The Holocaust Museum was good also. It was completely silent walking through the whole thing. No one spoke to each other and just looked at everything around them.

I really want to go back down there because when I went it was with my school for 4 days and we really didn't have time to like really look at everything because we were always rushing to do other things and such.

And I finally took the plunge and declared my major as History.... of course I got the crazy,drunken adviser though:rolleyes:

I loved visiting Washington D.C!! The Spy Museum was awesome!!! When you walked in, you were put in a room with a bunch of profiles on the walls. And you had to memorize one of them just in chase someone started questioning you! And I got to crawl through an air duct. It was pretty fun and hands on, which is always a good thing!

The Holocaust Museum was good also. It was completely silent walking through the whole thing. No one spoke to each other and just looked at everything around them.

I really want to go back down there because when I went it was with my school for 4 days and we really didn't have time to like really look at everything because we were always rushing to do other things and such.

And I finally took the plunge and declared my major as History.... of course I got the crazy,drunken adviser though:rolleyes:

The Holocaust Musuem is great. Very interesting and yes, it's very quiet and somber in there.

Congrats on declaring History as your major! :thumbsup:

History Majors!!! YEA!!!

Things to definitely see/do in DC.

Holocaust Museum...a definite must.(was worried about my 12 yr old but he was ok with it after the first section.)
Spy Museum...cool
Capitol tour....very interesting and informative.
Any/All of the Smithsonian Museums....my fave--American History
National Archives...be prepared to wait in line to see the Declaration and the Constitution
Bureau of Engraving and Printing....Interesting and informative (how our money was/is made)
The Entire Monument Walk...my fave...Korea (I just wish it had been sunny I understand it's more powerful then)

I enjoyed showing all this to my kids and immersing them into some of our history. The kids really liked it too. I think maybe we'll do Philly next time we get a chance to vacation.

Back